Forums/Armchair-GM

Next SZN

Created by: Marcsnack
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 20, 2020
Published: Mar. 25, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If cap goes down and each team is allocated one compliance buyout.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,250,000
5$5,000,000
2$1,200,000
2$1,750,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,000,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Hinostroza, Vinnie [RFA Rights]
ARI
  1. Ölund, Linus
  2. Simon, Dominik [RFA Rights]
  3. 2022 6th round pick (PIT)
PIT
    Compliance Buyout
    PIT
    1. 2020 3rd round pick (WSH)
    PIT
    1. Barratt, Evan [Reserve List]
    2. 2020 2nd round pick (PIT)
    3. 2021 2nd round pick (CHI)
    CHI
    1. Jarry, Tristan [RFA Rights]
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$79,500,000$77,163,508$0$1,062,500$2,336,492
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 4:21 p.m.
    Go Jets Go
    I think DeMelo is staying in Winnipeg. They will also offer more term and AAV.
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Jarry is staying and Murray is probably the goalie gone next season
    Jeuck75 liked this.
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: aadoyle

Id say otherwise. Murray was getting the majority of the starts before the suspended season for a reason
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 6:40 p.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
    Id say otherwise. Murray was getting the majority of the starts before the suspended season for a reason

u look at jarrys numbers the fact stand hes better rn, he took the starting job from murray, and is better for the future. If murray continues at his current pace pittsburgh will suffer.
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Quoting: Rooney
    I think DeMelo is staying in Winnipeg. They will also offer more term and AAV.

I wouldn’t sign Murray to that deal at this point. DeMelo will get a much more lucrative deal with more years for sure. Murray was getting more starts because Sully trusts him more because of experience and familiarity. Murray was being primed for the playoffs which hopefully will occur at some point.
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 6:44 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Pens3lieve
    I wouldn’t sign Murray to that deal at this point. DeMelo will get a much more lucrative deal with more years for sure. Murray was getting more starts because Sully trusts him more because of experience and familiarity. Murray was being primed for the playoffs which hopefully will occur at some point.

Exactly. Murray is the #1 goalie for the team. If playoffs happen, Sullivan is going with Murray
    Pens3lieve liked this.
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 9:54 p.m.
    u look at jarrys numbers the fact stand hes better rn, he took the starting job from murray, and is better for the future. If murray continues at his current pace pittsburgh will suffer.

Quoting: Pens3lieve

Exactly. Murray is the #1 goalie for the team. If playoffs happen, Sullivan is going with Murray

Jarry definitely started off stronger and still has the better numbers. However, before the season ended, Murray was playing much more and Sullivan seems to trust him more. I can see Penguins sticking with him in the longer run if he plays well in playoffs (if that ever happens).
    As for DeMelo, I could definitely see him signing a longer deal. I just wanted to sign a solid 3rd pairing defenseman.
    Pens3lieve liked this.
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 10:12 a.m.
    Jeuck75
    Jarry will not be traded, Murray probably will before Seattle
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 11:01 a.m.
    Banned

neither is going anywhere any time soon.

They said the same crap when it was MAF and Murray. They kept both.
    They will battle it out next year with the loser going somewhere. Who knows where at this point.

He's my question though.
    Last time the penguins had a CBO, they declined the opportunity.
    Do they buy someone out this time?
    I have my doubts but if I had to buy one out it's Hornqvist unless he accepts a trade.
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 11:09 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: pharrow
    neither is going anywhere any time soon.

They said the same crap when it was MAF and Murray. They kept both.
    They will battle it out next year with the loser going somewhere. Who knows where at this point.

He's my question though.
    Last time the penguins had a CBO, they declined the opportunity.
    Do they buy someone out this time?
    I have my doubts but if I had to buy one out it's Hornqvist unless he accepts a trade.

Im buying out Johnson. He does absolutely nothing, whereas Hornqvist is still producing and not a huge liability like JJ is. Getting rid of Hornqvist $5.3 would be nice, but they better use that space to replace the goal scoring.
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 11:34 a.m.
    Banned
    Im buying out Johnson. He does absolutely nothing, whereas Hornqvist is still producing and not a huge liability like JJ is. Getting rid of Hornqvist $5.3 would be nice, but they better use that space to replace the goal scoring.

I think the issue is that you could possibly move JJ other ways some might cost you, others might not. But you most likely can't with PH and his contract is more expensive and longer.
    He produces now, but he's not a top line guy anymore and he's older and hurt frequently.

There is always a need for defense in the league. But older, slower, frequently hurt wingers. Not so much. This might be the best chance to get rid of him without it costing anything.
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 3:26 p.m.

I think the issue is that you could possibly move JJ other ways some might cost you, others might not. But you most likely can't with PH and his contract is more expensive and longer.
    He produces now, but he's not a top line guy anymore and he's older and hurt frequently.
    There is always a need for defense in the league. But older, slower, frequently hurt wingers. Not so much. This might be the best chance to get rid of him without it costing anything.

I don't really get the Hornqvist buyout idea. Yes, he is getting older and yes, last year was a down year. This season, however, he was playing well. He had 32 points in 52 games and was on pace for a 50 point season, which is what he has been averaging during his time with the Penguins. I also think his play style is very advantageous and is not very common. I think getting rid of that JJ contract is much more beneficial to the Pens, even though the cap relief is not as large.
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 5:07 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Marcsnack
    I don't really get the Hornqvist buyout idea. Yes, he is getting older and yes, last year was a down year. This season, however, he was playing well. He had 32 points in 52 games and was on pace for a 50 point season, which is what he has been averaging during his time with the Penguins. I also think his play style is very advantageous and is not very common. I think getting rid of that JJ contract is much more beneficial to the Pens, even though the cap relief is not as large.

He's 34 and the penguins want to play up tempo. He does not fit that role. His 5+ million cap hit could be better used on guys who can play more their style of hockey. He's a bottom 6 forward on this team, that lacks a true 2RW. You ditch him, you get the salary to get one.
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 9:14 p.m.
    He's 34 and the penguins want to play up tempo. He does not fit that role. His 5+ million cap hit could be better used on guys who can play more their style of hockey. He's a bottom 6 forward on this team, that lacks a true 2RW. You ditch him, you get the salary to get one.

He's 33 but midway through next year will be 34, yes. The way I see it, however, is you can get Seattle to take him on once they join the league. You will protect: Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, McCann and Tanev on offence, Letang, Dumoulin and Pettersson on defence and then Murray or Jarry, depending on who you decide to keep. I assume that they will trade the other one and bring in some solid value. At that point, Seattle's best options, assuming no trade is made, are either Hornqvist, Simon, ZAR, Blueger or DeSmith. I am sure they would take Hornqvist if you throw in an extra pick, because I still think he can be helpful to a team. If the Penguins feel like they should move him, then you use your CBO on JJ this summer (if it happens) and then get Seattle to take Hornqvist next summer. You would probably have to add the new RW through trade, since the only really solid UFAs that summer are Ovi, Getzlaf (who is getting older), Gallagher, Palmieri and Gusev.
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 10:00 p.m.
    Banned
    He's 33 but midway through next year will be 34, yes. The way I see it, however, is you can get Seattle to take him on once they join the league. You will protect: Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, McCann and Tanev on offence, Letang, Dumoulin and Pettersson on defence and then Murray or Jarry, depending on who you decide to keep. I assume that they will trade the other one and bring in some solid value. At that point, Seattle's best options, assuming no trade is made, are either Hornqvist, Simon, ZAR, Blueger or DeSmith. I am sure they would take Hornqvist if you throw in an extra pick, because I still think he can be helpful to a team. If the Penguins feel like they should move him, then you use your CBO on JJ this summer (if it happens) and then get Seattle to take Hornqvist next summer. You would probably have to add the new RW through trade, since the only really solid UFAs that summer are Ovi, Getzlaf (who is getting older), Gallagher, Palmieri and Gusev.

Hornqvist can block any move to seattle. He has to be OK with going there.
    On top of it why make things increasingly difficult and on top of it go another year with slow hornqvist on the wing and not having a real 2RW as Rust is really the only top 6 RW they have.
    It's like playing with one hand tied behind your back.

That cap space is much better used on someone like Namestnikov, Dadanov or Smith who can play that top RW role.
    There are other ways to move JJ. You don't have to CBO him. You can wait till free agency is picked over and send him for a low round pick. Or you can trade him with someone like POJ to a team like TOR who needs Defense on entry level contracts to be a CBO for TOR. It's so much easier to move a guy with no clauses in his contract.
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 10:41 p.m.
    Hornqvist can block any move to seattle. He has to be OK with going there.
    On top of it why make things increasingly difficult and on top of it go another year with slow hornqvist on the wing and not having a real 2RW as Rust is really the only top 6 RW they have.
    It's like playing with one hand tied behind your back.

That cap space is much better used on someone like Namestnikov, Dadanov or Smith who can play that top RW role.
    There are other ways to move JJ. You don't have to CBO him. You can wait till free agency is picked over and send him for a low round pick. Or you can trade him with someone like POJ to a team like TOR who needs Defense on entry level contracts to be a CBO for TOR. It's so much easier to move a guy with no clauses in his contract.

Hornqvist can block any trade, but, he doesn't have to be protected in the expansion draft. Pittsburgh can make Seattle select Hornqvist and then send over additional picks/prospects, which would be considered expansion drafts considerations. Nothing complicated. Also, Hornqvist is still a very capable winger who puts up points. Maybe not a 1st liner but he can get the job done..
    Mar. 27, 2020 at 10:45 a.m.
    Banned
    Hornqvist can block any trade, but, he doesn't have to be protected in the expansion draft. Pittsburgh can make Seattle select Hornqvist and then send over additional picks/prospects, which would be considered expansion drafts considerations. Nothing complicated. Also, Hornqvist is still a very capable winger who puts up points. Maybe not a 1st liner but he can get the job done..

A. You will pay more to move a guy with 5+ million contract than one with a 3 million contract. JJ buy out is like nothing. It's less than 1 million most of the time. Can be buried for 2 million. You can't do that with Hornqvist.
    B. Hornqvist can still play at a bottom role, but putting him on a top line is the quickest way to kill that line. Which brings us right back to the point I made earlier. Carrying him for another year means not having a capable RW for another year. There is a reason you are stuck with Simon and Sheary on the top line. His name is Hornqvist and his 5+ million salary.
    C. It's much better to CBO Hornqvist and then simply move JJ if you want as there is nothing preventing the moving of both players by doing this.

You can hide JJ on the ice in a 3rd pairing where his play has been decent, or dump him into the AHL at a 2 million cap hit if you can't trade him. He's a lot easier to hide on the team the Hornqvist who consistently shows the teams lack of depth at RW. He's a square peg in a round hole. He lacks the foot speed to play the north south game they want to play.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll