Forums/Fauteuil - DG

Spending money

Created by: Pharow
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 26, 2020
Published: Mar. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Craig smith and soderberg would be use has players exposed for the expansion draft. Soderberg would give Kotkaniemi another year to improve. He could be moved on the fourth line when KK is ready to take a bigger role with the Habs. Soderberg provide depth at center position. Smith have been a consistent 15-20 goal scorer. That provide depth at right wing. Montreal have Ylonen and Caufield but both are unlikely to have a big inpact before a couple of year. Thompson is a players the organization are familiar with, great guy in the locker room, kill penalty.
On defence Brodin provide Stability on the left side. He can play 22+ minutes. Chiarot and Romanov are splitting the rest of the minutes on the left. Mete and Juulsen alternate on the right side.

If Price is having a big season this team make the playoff as wild card.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$825,000
3$875,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$800,000
1$1,000,000
1$900,000
2$800,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,000,000
2$4,500,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2021 5th round pick (SJS)
SJS
  1. Kulak, Brett
Additional Details:
San jose get a good bottom pairing defenseman On a good deal.
MTL
  1. Brodin, Jonas
Additional Details:
Sign a 7 years 39 millions extension
MIN
  1. Domi, Max [RFA Rights]
  2. Fonstad, Cole [Reserve List]
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Domi sign extension with the wild
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,720,476$0$425,000$4,779,524
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 26, 2020 at 12:55 a.m.
Decent trades. If MIN knew Brodin would extend, then I would want that 3rd to be a 2nd. 5.5aav is decent for brodin

Decent signings. The targets make sense, but the cap is a bit high. Smith would get 5M on 1 year, not 3. For 3 years I wouldn't pay him a hair more than 3.75M. Soderberg might be overpaid due to the lack of centers, so that signing is alright, though again at 2 years he should get less - probably 4M.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 1:05 a.m.
Billy739
Domi's got 116 points in 151 games at center with 41% faceoff win rate year one then 49% the next year
With Mats Sundin hanging around its almost worth it alone to piss off Leafs nation more then seeing Tie in a Habs jersey
but then you factor in one of the Greatest Centers of his generation in his God Father mentoring him during his jump to Center (as he was drafted a winger and hasnt played center since timbits hockey as per Domi)

We're not giving him away for Brodin
its cheaper to just pay Krug the extra 2.5-3m to get Quality and a player we know plays well in Claude Juliens system (CJ gave him his first job as an undrafted NCAA free agent )
we pay more Cap but we have it and we also have no need to give Domi away for a player who's got Alzner 2.0 written all over him
2 for 2 D we got from MIN didnt live up to the cost we paid and this seems like more of the same
Mar. 26, 2020 at 1:27 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Billy739
Domi's got 116 points in 151 games at center with 41% faceoff win rate year one then 49% the next year
With Mats Sundin hanging around its almost worth it alone to piss off Leafs nation more then seeing Tie in a Habs jersey
but then you factor in one of the Greatest Centers of his generation in his God Father mentoring him during his jump to Center (as he was drafted a winger and hasnt played center since timbits hockey as per Domi)

its cheaper to just pay Krug the extra 2.5-3m to get Quality and a player we know plays well in Claude Juliens system (CJ gave him his first job as an undrafted NCAA free agent )
we pay more Cap but we have it and we also have no need to give Domi away for a player who's got Alzner 2.0 written all over him
2 for 2 D we got from MIN didnt live up to the cost we paid and this seems like more of the same

Brodin is everything but a alzner. He is a smooth skater, with more offensive instincts then alzner. Brodin can play 25 minutes a night easily. Alzner doesn’t play no more because he can’t skate. That not the case here with Brodin. Domi is a good players but he is expendable. With suzuki, Kotkaniemi and likely Danault who will received a extension next summer Montreal could use Domi to get a very good defenseman in Brodin.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 1:28 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Billy739

And Krug provide offense but he is definitely not on the same level has Brodin when we talk about defensive abilities.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 10:23 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
So brodin signs for 5 571 429 just like Landeskog
Mar. 26, 2020 at 10:27 a.m.
I just don't get the hype over Brodin. Good dman, I'd take him on my team any day but he is not what the Habs need. If the goal is to just play someone next to Weber, Chiarot was doing just fine.

He is defensive dman who plays between 20-22 mins a night. Whoopity doo...... Nice, but nothing to go crazy about either.

He is not this 25 min a night, all situation dman thats among the Seth Jones and Ryan Ellis's of the world. Just last year Minny fans were trying to move him for a couple 2nds. Now he is worth Domi, a prospect and a 3rd? Why?

Once again, decent Dman. I'd love to have him but I don't see anything there that is elite or essential to Montreal. Heck we may even be abe to snag this guy in free agency in a years time. Why not wait? Domi is an RFA which gives us way more controll.

If the cost is Domi++, I'd rather just try to add someone in free agency whose probably not as good as Brodin but costs nothing but cap space, which the Habs will have oodles of next year even if the cap goes down.

Not too mention that if the cap goes down, some teams will have to unload some players. That will be the best time to take advantage of that situation. Overpaying for Brodin IMO makes zero sense.
Pharow liked this.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 10:44 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: F50marco
I just don't get the hype over Brodin. Good dman, I'd take him on my team any day but he is not what the Habs need. If the goal is to just play someone next to Weber, Chiarot was doing just fine.

He is defensive dman who plays between 20-22 mins a night. Whoopity doo...... Nice, but nothing to go crazy about either.

He is not this 25 min a night, all situation dman thats among the Seth Jones and Ryan Ellis's of the world. Just last year Minny fans were trying to move him for a couple 2nds. Now he is worth Domi, a prospect and a 3rd? Why?

Once again, decent Dman. I'd love to have him but I don't see anything there that is elite or essential to Montreal. Heck we may even be abe to snag this guy in free agency in a years time. Why not wait? Domi is an RFA which gives us way more controll.

If the cost is Domi++, I'd rather just try to add someone in free agency whose probably not as good as Brodin but costs nothing but cap space, which the Habs will have oodles of next year even if the cap goes down.

Not too mention that if the cap goes down, some teams will have to unload some players. That will be the best time to take advantage of that situation. Overpaying for Brodin IMO makes zero sense.

I guess i am more high on Brodin then Habs fan in general. I see Jordan harris and Alexander Romanov both making it to Nhl and a guy like Brodin would provide stability and experience for 5-6 years before they can take charge of the defense.
I don’t think that the Habs are in position to acquire a top left handed defenseman like Werenski or Provorov. The only other option i see is to offer sheet sergachev to a 8 millions deal for 5 years. Personally i posted about that a few month ago. I think that Montreal could go in that direction. Even if they don’t get him from Tampa that would put them into very difficult situation. In either way Montreal need a left handed defenseman who can play big minute. Chiarot isnt very effective in that role, he get exposed way to much. In fact Weber and Chariot haven’t been a good duo when they where use together. Weber most effective partner has been Mete.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 11:58 a.m.
Quoting: Sebybbq
I guess i am more high on Brodin then Habs fan in general. I see Jordan harris and Alexander Romanov both making it to Nhl and a guy like Brodin would provide stability and experience for 5-6 years before they can take charge of the defense.
I don’t think that the Habs are in position to acquire a top left handed defenseman like Werenski or Provorov. The only other option i see is to offer sheet sergachev to a 8 millions deal for 5 years. Personally i posted about that a few month ago. I think that Montreal could go in that direction. Even if they don’t get him from Tampa that would put them into very difficult situation. In either way Montreal need a left handed defenseman who can play big minute. Chiarot isnt very effective in that role, he get exposed way to much. In fact Weber and Chariot haven’t been a good duo when they where use together. Weber most effective partner has been Mete.

Chiarot was playing 23 mins a night on average. Mete never reached the twenties for long enough stretches........ Chiarot did exceptionally well for what he is capable of. HE isn't a top line dman, that's the problem. Neither is Brodin. So adding Brodin here to play 25 mins a night will expose his faults just like it would Chiarots.

Like I said, Im not opposed to adding Brodin, he would definitely help! Just not at that cost.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 12:14 p.m.
Banned
Chiarot was playing 23 mins a night on average. Mete never reached the twenties for long enough stretches........ Chiarot did exceptionally well for what he is capable of. HE isn't a top line dman, that's the problem. Neither is Brodin. So adding Brodin here to play 25 mins a night will expose his faults just like it would Chiarots.

Like I said, Im not opposed to adding Brodin, he would definitely help! Just not at that cost.

I can’t figure out why Mtl fan keep think that Domi value is off charted. He have been putting good number since the start of is career. He average middle 6 foward production. Getting a top shutdown defenseman in is prime is probable a good value for domi. Is value won’t land us a top left handed defenseman. The only way Domi would bring that would be a prospect who developed himself into that defenseman. I like Domi but the Domi of this season is the real Domi. A middle six forward. Getting good defenseman is a harder think then getting players like Domi.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 12:50 p.m.
I can’t figure out why Mtl fan keep think that Domi value is off charted. He have been putting good number since the start of is career. He average middle 6 foward production. Getting a top shutdown defenseman in is prime is probable a good value for domi. Is value won’t land us a top left handed defenseman. The only way Domi would bring that would be a prospect who developed himself into that defenseman. I like Domi but the Domi of this season is the real Domi. A middle six forward. Getting good defenseman is a harder think then getting players like Domi.

Last year you saw what Domi with good linemates can do. This year? Drouin got hurt early, Suzuki only started becoming better in the later half, the team overall was sucking......

I don't understand why people are assuming this is the normal Domi? This has been a less than normal year for the entire team and he still on pace for 50 points....... Imagine if only he had Suzuki for the full year and Drouin didn't get hurt?

Just with the Domi having his regular linemates he would be a 60 point scorer. All of a sudden everything changes again. Just because of 10 points???

Im not opposed to trading Domi but people are overreacting to this years production. Domi has put up an on pace 50 point season virtually playing with guys who are rookies, 3rd liners and a team that overall isn't good.

Throw on the fact that Domi can play center decently enough, can fight, stays healthy makes him 100% more valuable than a guy like Drouin for example.

People are looking at the wrong player to trade. Drouin is the guy the Habs should be moving out. Not Domi. But obviously Drouin is french so the media will slightly take his side more. Domi has come as advertised. Drouin has not. Need LHD help? Trade Drouin+ to get it and keep the guy that is actually producing and doing the things Drouin never does.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 1:16 p.m.
Banned
Last year you saw what Domi with good linemates can do. This year? Drouin got hurt early, Suzuki only started becoming better in the later half, the team overall was sucking......

I don't understand why people are assuming this is the normal Domi? This has been a less than normal year for the entire team and he still on pace for 50 points....... Imagine if only he had Suzuki for the full year and Drouin didn't get hurt?

Just with the Domi having his regular linemates he would be a 60 point scorer. All of a sudden everything changes again. Just because of 10 points???

Im not opposed to trading Domi but people are overreacting to this years production. Domi has put up an on pace 50 point season virtually playing with guys who are rookies, 3rd liners and a team that overall isn't good.

Throw on the fact that Domi can play center decently enough, can fight, stays healthy makes him 100% more valuable than a guy like Drouin for example.

People are looking at the wrong player to trade. Drouin is the guy the Habs should be moving out. Not Domi. But obviously Drouin is french so the media will slightly take his side more. Domi has come as advertised. Drouin has not. Need LHD help? Trade Drouin+ to get it and keep the guy that is actually producing and doing the things Drouin never does.

The main reason Drouin isn’t in trade talk is because is stock might be at is lowest for the moment. Personally I don’t really care about race or color, i just want them to be good. If we want to acquire decent player we will need to trade one of them. And since or main concern this past two season have been that left side defense. With the merge of a suzuki we can trade Domi for immediate help on left side. Kulak and mete are just not the solution. It’s been 2 years we ride with them and it just not doiing it.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 5:31 p.m.
The main reason Drouin isn’t in trade talk is because is stock might be at is lowest for the moment. Personally I don’t really care about race or color, i just want them to be good. If we want to acquire decent player we will need to trade one of them. And since or main concern this past two season have been that left side defense. With the merge of a suzuki we can trade Domi for immediate help on left side. Kulak and mete are just not the solution. It’s been 2 years we ride with them and it just not doiing it.

I get that but a Habs team minus Domi but plus "X dmen" is still worse than a Habs team with Domi and "Y dman" from UFA or lesser trade from someone we can live without..

Habs are not a powerhouse scoring team. They need guys like Suzuki to come in and ADD to the Domi's of the team. Trading Domi and replacing with Suzuki means the team is back to where they were before or maybe even less since Domi is a more reliable scorer than Suzuki until proven otherwise.
Mar. 26, 2020 at 6:02 p.m.
Banned
I get that but a Habs team minus Domi but plus "X dmen" is still worse than a Habs team with Domi and "Y dman" from UFA or lesser trade from someone we can live without..

Habs are not a powerhouse scoring team. They need guys like Suzuki to come in and ADD to the Domi's of the team. Trading Domi and replacing with Suzuki means the team is back to where they were before or maybe even less since Domi is a more reliable scorer than Suzuki until proven otherwise.

Habs have actually been ok in goal score last 2 season.
Even this season with all the injuries that have not been a major concern since they still are in the middle pack around the league. With the merge of young players and a healthy roster one forward become expendable or replaceable much more easier then finding that defenseman who can help solidify that defensive. I mean this year we if we get lucky a at least keep or initial draft ranking that would be 8th. We will had another high end skill forward to or group who already had suzuki, kk, poehling, caufield, ylonen at some point decision will have to be made as who Montreal go forward with.
Sergachev could possibly be another option like i said before but again in a couple of season some of our actual top 6 will have to get traded or unresign.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll