RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$758,333$758,333
RW
UFA - 1
$1,475,000$1,475,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,200,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$787,500$787,500
LD
UFA - 2
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 27, 2020 at 6:04 p.m.
you need a better backup, I think Buffalo would offer you Hutton at 50%
Mar. 27, 2020 at 6:12 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy

I’m thinking European free agent or Dell. Armstrong hasn’t really gone to Europe before, but I’m personally of the belief that there are plenty of goalies in European pro hockey who could play in the NHL and be fine.
Ledge_And_Dairy and mokumboi liked this.
Mar. 27, 2020 at 7:11 p.m.
mokumboi
It's no sure thing Perunovich jumps straight into the rotation. He'll likely start in the A, which would give an extra 925K of cap space for a reliable back-up.
Mar. 27, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

would rather keep allen way better numbers and at this point i dont see the blues keeping pitrangelo. unless its to a short term deal i just dont see him keeping production high past 35 years old
Mar. 27, 2020 at 8:16 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
would rather keep allen way better numbers and at this point i dont see the blues keeping pitrangelo. unless its to a short term deal i just dont see him keeping production high past 35 years old

Doug Armstrong would be outright moronic to keep an overpaid backup before a top 5 defense in the league. Binninton should be ready this year to be the true 1G on the team and not run a 1A/B
Mar. 27, 2020 at 8:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Doug Armstrong would be outright moronic to keep an overpaid backup before a top 5 defense in the league. Binninton should be ready this year to be the true 1G on the team and not run a 1A/B

He has carried that team for years and has one of the best sv and gaa of current nhl goalies in 2020. He was the starter only till binnington came up. The team has been doing great with both so why risk it. Many teams who have solid goaltending from the main and backup often have great success in the playoffs. the blues have already tried to sign pitrangelo 3 times and hes rejected all 3 offers. He wants a massive payday (possibly doughty money) and being 30 there is a risk his production drops as he gets older or acquires injuries due to his age.
Mar. 27, 2020 at 9:44 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
That's a lot of term (38yrs at deals end and a rich man) and $$$ for AP!
Too rich for my ACGM-blood...
Mar. 29, 2020 at 3:24 a.m.
Dommait
Quoting: mokumboi
It's no sure thing Perunovich jumps straight into the rotation. He'll likely start in the A, which would give an extra 925K of cap space for a reliable back-up.

Its possible that he plays some games this season like makar last season for colorado.So its i think its a safe bet he plays next year.
Mar. 29, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
He has carried that team for years and has one of the best sv and gaa of current nhl goalies in 2020. He was the starter only till binnington came up. The team has been doing great with both so why risk it. Many teams who have solid goaltending from the main and backup often have great success in the playoffs. the blues have already tried to sign pitrangelo 3 times and hes rejected all 3 offers. He wants a massive payday (possibly doughty money) and being 30 there is a risk his production drops as he gets older or acquires injuries due to his age.

I'm sorry, what Blues team did you watch when Allen was the starter? Carried that team for years? The last two years that Allen was the starter (16-17, 17-18), I would say we were good *in spite* of him, not because of him. We missed the playoffs one of those years. Binnington was a career AHL goalie, you don't give a guy like that a shot unless your starter is absolutely terrible, which Allen was last year. Allen's been great this year but his workload has been light. I think he's good enough to be a starter somewhere but it's not here, and you can't justify paying paying starter money to a backup goalie in a cap league. You have to move on, especially with the cap probably not rising or maybe even going down this year. Solid goaltenders are available for much cheaper than him.

Do you have a source for any of that Pietrangelo info? I doubt it because nothing that specific has come out about their negotiations.

Pietrangelo's long term projections are very favorable since he's a skill player like Weber or Thornton and doesn't rely on his physicality (like Doughty) or footspeed (like Karlsson), both of which can diminish with time, in order to play his game. The analytics guru at the Athletic recommended an eight year contract, and the advanced stats guys are always the one saying not to give big money to guys that age.
Mar. 29, 2020 at 2:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
I'm sorry, what Blues team did you watch when Allen was the starter? Carried that team for years? The last two years that Allen was the starter (16-17, 17-18), I would say we were good *in spite* of him, not because of him. We missed the playoffs one of those years. Binnington was a career AHL goalie, you don't give a guy like that a shot unless your starter is absolutely terrible, which Allen was last year. Allen's been great this year but his workload has been light. I think he's good enough to be a starter somewhere but it's not here, and you can't justify paying paying starter money to a backup goalie in a cap league. You have to move on, especially with the cap probably not rising or maybe even going down this year. Solid goaltenders are available for much cheaper than him.

Do you have a source for any of that Pietrangelo info? I doubt it because nothing that specific has come out about their negotiations.

Pietrangelo's long term projections are very favorable since he's a skill player like Weber or Thornton and doesn't rely on his physicality (like Doughty) or footspeed (like Karlsson), both of which can diminish with time, in order to play his game. The analytics guru at the Athletic recommended an eight year contract, and the advanced stats guys are always the one saying not to give big money to guys that age.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/contract-talks-picking-blues-captain-pietrangelo/

basically they wanted to pay pitrangelo what Oliver Ekman-Larsson is making but talks slowed down by oct, 30. pitrangelo isnt interested in that type of money hes waiting for the end of the season to get as much as he can. If karlsson and doughty can get that money why cant I. The predators got lucky because Josi signed on a discount as he could have commanded way more. We will see what happens in the summer but if pitrangelo wanted to stay a blue he would have signed already. He is probably going to explore the UFA market as there are probably a lot of teams interested in him and willing to spend.
Mar. 30, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Edited Mar. 30, 2020 at 12:27 a.m.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/contract-talks-picking-blues-captain-pietrangelo/

basically they wanted to pay pitrangelo what Oliver Ekman-Larsson is making but talks slowed down by oct, 30. pitrangelo isnt interested in that type of money hes waiting for the end of the season to get as much as he can. If karlsson and doughty can get that money why cant I. The predators got lucky because Josi signed on a discount as he could have commanded way more. We will see what happens in the summer but if pitrangelo wanted to stay a blue he would have signed already. He is probably going to explore the UFA market as there are probably a lot of teams interested in him and willing to spend.

That doesn't say anything about the "three times the Blues offered and he rejected all three offers" thing that you said. All it says is they want OEK money, and he wants more than that, which is non-news, like of course he wants more than they want to give him, that's why negotiations exist. Pietrangelo has never been held in the esteem that Doughty or Karlsson have, he's never won a Norris, he's never single-handedly dragged a team to the postseason like Karlsson did with Ottawa, and he's older than either of those guys were when they signed their contracts. There's very little precedent for him to receive a Doughty or Karlsson level contract even if he goes UFA. And also, those contracts are bad! If that's what he really wants than yeah totally let him walk. But, I think there'a actually very few teams that have the space to offer him that level of contract anyway. Everyone is going to be under the gun for the cap this year. The only teams that do have the space are teams that are bad- the Ducks, the Sens, the Devils. And the Predators did not get Josi on a discount, they just paid him for eight years instead of the seven he would have gotten on any other team. 9mil x 8 years = 10.3mil x 7 years on any other team. That's why those guys get more as UFAs, they don't really get more, it's just contract structure.

Pietrangelo not signing yet I don't think is indicative of much, Armstrong has a reputation for playing hardball (which is kinda weird, considering how many bleh contracts he's given out, but that's what the player agent poll said) and so does Newport Sports. They hold out as long as they can to see if the other will blink first, because we're talking about a ton of money here, the biggest contract on the Blues. But I think at the end of the day, what's the motivation for him to leave? You might say money, but it's the same thing with Josi, the Blues can offer him a lower cap hit but have an extra year, so they can offer him pretty much as much money in general (and allow him to play longer) as any other team unless someone offers him Doughty or Karlsson level money, which, is really only what, probably seven million more total, in the grand scheme of things? I mean, that's a lot of money, but not that much when we're talking about an 70 million contract. He's the captain on a team set to contend for the cup for a long time. He married a St. Louis girl. What can he really get somewhere else that he can't get here?
Mar. 30, 2020 at 12:40 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
That doesn't say anything about the "three times the Blues offered and he rejected all three offers" thing that you said. All it says is they want OEK money, and he wants more than that, which is non-news, like of course he wants more than they want to give him, that's why negotiations have to happen. Pietrangelo has never been held in the esteem that Doughty or Karlsson have, he's never won a Norris, he's never single-handedly dragged a team to the postseason like Karlsson did with Ottawa, and he's older than either of those guys were when they signed their contracts. There's very little precedent for him to receive a Doughty or Karlsson level contract even if he goes UFA. And also, those contracts are bad! If that's what he really wants than yeah totally let him walk. But, I think there'a actually very few teams that have the space to offer him that level of contract anyway. Everyone is going to be under the gun for the cap this year. The only teams that do have the space are teams that are bad- the Ducks, the Sens, the Devils. And the Predators did not get Josi on a discount, they just paid him for eight years instead of the seven he would have gotten on any other team. 9mil x 8 years = 10.3mil x 7 years on any other team.

Pietrangelo not signing yet I don't think is indicative of much, Armstrong has a reputation for playing hardball (which is kinda weird, considering how many bleh contracts he's given out, but that's what the player agent poll said) and so does Newport Sports. They hold out as long as they can to see if the other will blink first, because we're talking about a ton of money here, the biggest contract on the Blues. But I think at the end of the day, what's the motivation for him to leave? You might say money, but it's the same thing with Josi, the Blues can offer him a lower cap hit but have an extra year, so they can offer him pretty much as much money in general (and allow him to play longer) as any other team unless someone offers him Doughty or Karlsson level money, which, is really only what, probably seven million more total, in the grand scheme of things? I mean, that's a lot of money, but not that much when we're talking about an 70 million contract. He's the captain on a team set to contend for the cup for a long time. He married a St. Louis girl. What can he really get somewhere else that he can't get here?

well all i can say is this good luck with him cause if he ages poorly as most defense do after 30 that contract could end up being a handicap. Most cup teams who try and keep the core together have learned keeping the the star players is not a good idea for long term success. Sure the blues are strong but with that aging core how long will that last who knows.

As for the 3 offers that was just the short form it was on one of the hockey night in Canada talks where discussed his party receiving 3 offers from armstrong which he did not agree to.
Mar. 30, 2020 at 11:05 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
well all i can say is this good luck with him cause if he ages poorly as most defense do after 30 that contract could end up being a handicap. Most cup teams who try and keep the core together have learned keeping the the star players is not a good idea for long term success. Sure the blues are strong but with that aging core how long will that last who knows.

As for the 3 offers that was just the short form it was on one of the hockey night in Canada talks where discussed his party receiving 3 offers from armstrong which he did not agree to.

The Blues I think are in a similar position as Philly where they basically have two cores though. We've got an "older" core of Schwartz, Schenn, Tarasenko, Perron, Pietrangelo, O'Reilly as well as a younger core of Thomas, Dunn, Parayko, Kyrou, Sanford, and Binnington. Could even throw guys like Blais, Kostin, and Perunovich in there though I think they've still got a lot to prove yet. Obviously you can't keep all of those guys long term, but the Blues are set for a long time to stay competitive. But, certain guys you just got to keep even if they're older, and your defenseman who averages 24 minutes a night is one of them.

See, you say that a lot of defenseman age poorly, and that's true, but the elite ones who rely on skill usually do not. Shea Weber just had an excellent year at 34, Mark Giordano won the Norris last year at 35, Ryan Suter was three points off his career high at 35 when the season stopped. Those guys are all skills based, like Pietrangelo. If Pietrangelo is good for another five years, that's fine, because our team might not even be cup contenders in five years.

Based on his projections, I'm pretty comfortable keeping Pietrangelo long term, and I'm usually a pretty obstinate "do not sign anyone over thirty" guy

Screen-Shot-2019-12-05-at-10.41.26-PM.png

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll