Richard1972

Created by: Loxley_1972
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 28, 2020
Published: Mar. 28, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So some massive trades that would never happen...but oh what fun it is to be GM
It weekens or Offense but damn does that D look good....also puts an end to the "who should go" debate between Marner and Nylander....they are both gone...lol
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
2$2,500,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
3$3,000,000
1$1,000,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Engvall, Pierre
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (TOR)
ANA
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. Liljegren, Timothy
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
  4. 2020 4th round pick (VGK)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$77,647,750$0$850,000$3,852,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,050,000$2,050,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 28, 2020 at 5:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
dont know about aquiring another nylander. Dont want to sit through another long contract negotiation where he ends up overpaid
Mar. 28, 2020 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
dont know about aquiring another nylander. Dont want to sit through another long contract negotiation where he ends up overpaid

Nylander isn't overpaid.

Also OP, I know it's just for fun, but holy moly is that MIN trade bad for the Leafs
Mar. 28, 2020 at 5:22 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
That Toronto-Minnesota trade is so bad, I know that you're going for laughs.
LafreniereIsGOATed liked this.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 5:26 p.m.
Honestly there are good ideas here. That being said, trading Nylander AND Marner in the same deal and getting what TOR is getting here is a huge NO. As https://www.capfriendly.com/users/LeafsFanForSomeReason said, this trade is awful for TOR. Remove the picks, Kerfoot, Dermott and Dumba and it’s pretty close.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 5:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Nylander isn't overpaid.

Also OP, I know it's just for fun, but holy moly is that MIN trade bad for the Leafs

I agree but many toronto fans still say he is. I just dont want to go through another nylander negotiation lul
Mar. 28, 2020 at 9:14 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Nylander isn't overpaid.

My trade for Nylander was the first I made on this armchair....I did it in another scenario mainly done to reduce cap space....not by much but with flat cap scenario it was necessary...in this one I could have kept Engvall and not signed Thornton or Clifford but Engvall really did not so much after he signed extension..what did I heget? 1 goal in the last 20 games...and that was against the Zamboni driver....I dont think the players I sent to the Wild are that bad....maybe the picks are not necessary..but I always over compensate.....
Mar. 28, 2020 at 9:22 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan

What is so bad about it? should I have removed the picks?...we trade Nylander for Dumba...which is what is said to be needed for Dumba….Fiala is cheaper and had 5 points less than Nylander...Stall had 47 points and Donato had 23....making less that Johnsson and we get Greenway for 3rd line.....other than Stall get a lot of young guys at lower cap hits
Mar. 28, 2020 at 9:23 p.m.

What is so bad about....give details....Is it the picks? I always over compensate as I think I mentioned in my description
Mar. 28, 2020 at 9:26 p.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Honestly there are good ideas here. That being said, trading Nylander AND Marner in the same deal and getting what TOR is getting here is a huge NO. As https://www.capfriendly.com/users/LeafsFanForSomeReason said, this trade is awful for TOR. Remove the picks, Kerfoot, Dermott and Dumba and it’s pretty close.

I get the picks....as I have been telling people I over compensate usually with those...but dunno about removing Kerfoot and Dermott....need to include them to get rid of cap for Leafs and because I am sure the Wild would need replacements for all the players they are sending out....I get we are shipping out a lot of offense....but I am trying to build a competitive team with way better defense....yes we lose Marner's points but Stall had 47 points....Fiala was 5 points behind Nylander and Donato had 23 points...14 of them goals....but if we can add a Manson Dumba and Demelo on the right side we won't need that kinda offense
Mar. 28, 2020 at 9:36 p.m.
The MN trade isn't good for TOR.
-Call Fiala/Nylander a wash.
-Donato doesn't do anything for TOR, he has lots of flaws in his game to be more than a filler player. One hell of a shot though. A big downgrade from Marner
-Dumba isn't the d-man TOR needs. A Reilly/Dumba top pair would be awful, they both need babysitters. Best thing would be a Muzzin/Dumba 2nd pair.
-Staal would be a fine 3C for TOR, but he's another offensive center. TOR needs a Kadri replacement much more than an offensive center.
-Marner is the best player in the deal. Expensive, but still the best player.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 11:18 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Loxley_1972
What is so bad about it? should I have removed the picks?...we trade Nylander for Dumba...which is what is said to be needed for Dumba….Fiala is cheaper and had 5 points less than Nylander...Stall had 47 points and Donato had 23....making less that Johnsson and we get Greenway for 3rd line.....other than Stall get a lot of young guys at lower cap hits

I'm going to assume for the moment that you're serious, since you say that you're a Toronto fan . . .

Let's assume for the moment that Fiala is as valuable as Nylander -- he isn't, but let's just say that he is for the purposes of this discussion.

Let's assume for the moment that Donato is as valuable as Kerfoot -- he isn't, but let's just say that he is for the purposes of this discussion.

Let's assume for the moment that Greenway is as valuable as Dermott -- he isn't (this one is closer), but let's just say that he is for the purposes of this discussion.

Let's assume for the moment that final-year-before-he-retires Eric Staal is worth a second-round pick -- he isn't, but let's just say that he is for the purposes of this discussion.

That means that after all these elements, each of which favors Minnesota, you're trading Dumba for Marner and a first-round pick.

Take Marner out of this deal entirely and it would be closer to value, but for the reasons accurately cited by @wabit (a Minnesota guy), Toronto probably still wouldn't do it.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 11:51 p.m.
@OldNYIfan I think Fiala/Nylander is pretty close for value. Same age, similar seasons statswise, and Fiala is $4m cheaper next season. Nylander does have a better track record for his career, but Fiala seemed to figure it out last season.

If they were swapped in the lineups would either of them have a significant gain or loss in points/production?
Mar. 29, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
The MN trade isn't good for TOR.
-Call Fiala/Nylander a wash.
-Donato doesn't do anything for TOR, he has lots of flaws in his game to be more than a filler player. One hell of a shot though. A big downgrade from Marner
-Dumba isn't the d-man TOR needs. A Reilly/Dumba top pair would be awful, they both need babysitters. Best thing would be a Muzzin/Dumba 2nd pair.
-Staal would be a fine 3C for TOR, but he's another offensive center. TOR needs a Kadri replacement much more than an offensive center.
-Marner is the best player in the deal. Expensive, but still the best player.

i agree that I feel Fiala for nylander is a wash...which is what I was going for....similar age and Fiala has similar numbers this year and is cheaper...these moves are all done to save cap.
I have Donato on first line because Hyman is there and can go in to the gritty zones and dig the puck out....Donato is a downgrade from Marner yes and I know that but again had to shed Marner and more importantly cap space to improve the overall Defense......Donato is 23 and has 23 points...14 goals...but I get he is a downgrade
Dumba...I meant to have him on the 2nd line...not the first but did not notice that when I published the lineup...I like having an offensive and a defensive pairing....so Rielly with Manson...Muzzin with Dumba and Sandin gets to play with a more defense player in DeMelo who was most nights playing against the other teams top lines and playing 20 minutes a night.....would be a good steady partner for Sandin.
Staal is offensive....but need someone with skill to play with Mikheyev…..I have Heinen on that line for grit...plus we will need more offense with Marner gone....and with better D we should not allow as many goals...Staal is another veteran this young team could use and will be off the books after next season freeing up cap for Hyman and Andersen...and hoping cap goes up by then...again....this is all done to clear Marner's huge contract for a more balanced team....once Staal is gone they can fo find a more suited defense 3C that does not cost them 3.5K like Kerfoot.....or maybe Heinen slides over to C and they bring up a winger
Mar. 29, 2020 at 3:56 p.m.
I'm going to assume for the moment that you're serious, since you say that you're a Toronto fan . . .

Let's assume for the moment that Fiala is as valuable as Nylander -- he isn't, but let's just say that he is for the purposes of this discussion.

Let's assume for the moment that Donato is as valuable as Kerfoot -- he isn't, but let's just say that he is for the purposes of this discussion.

Let's assume for the moment that Greenway is as valuable as Dermott -- he isn't (this one is closer), but let's just say that he is for the purposes of this discussion.

Let's assume for the moment that final-year-before-he-retires Eric Staal is worth a second-round pick -- he isn't, but let's just say that he is for the purposes of this discussion.

That means that after all these elements, each of which favors Minnesota, you're trading Dumba for Marner and a first-round pick.

Take Marner out of this deal entirely and it would be closer to value, but for the reasons accurately cited by @wabit (a Minnesota guy), Toronto probably still wouldn't do it.

Ok well your method of breaking it down player for player is not how I broke it down....and again I believe I stated that I tend to over pay with some stuff like picks as I view it from the stand point that I am approaching the other team to acquire there players....so this is how I looked at it player for players

Fiala for Nylander....I say they are closer than you think....both young players...Fiala has similar numbers and plays a little more 2 way than Nylander 5 points less and a lot cheaper
you had Donato with Kerfoot...I looked at it like Staal for Kerfoot....Staal brings veteran leadership...a little cheaper and has offensive skills for a hopefully returning Mikheyev….we have Heinen you can be more defensive and could slide to 3C and be cheaper than Kerfoot after Staal contract next year...this will free up Kerfoot's cap to pay a guy like Hyman who will need a new contract
I know I mentioned Fiala and Nylander but that is just for a pure stats thing....Nylander is shipped because it was reported that the Wild want a 2C center for Dumba
Marner & Dermott is a cap dump to make a more balanced roster and improve the D big time...I looked at the breakdown as follows:
Dumba for Nylander
Staal for Kerfoot
Marner & Dermott gets us Greenway,Donato & Fiala…..with the reduced cap by trading Marner we are also able to add depth which we lacked when we suffered a lot of injuries by adding Thornton,Pitlick,Clifford,Spezza & DeMelo…..and able to re-sign RFA Greenway.....Spezza had a good year and to add Thornton who could come in and play wing gives us some offense and veteran leadership on 4th line with Pitlick and Greenway and Clifford and Greenway as the grit....
that is how I looked at it.....we also have the cap flex to make the Manson deal and give us a defensive D to play with Rielly...and ya...Marner is the best player...but did not play well this year and would be tough to trade....I feel he is one of those players based on cap hit that no matter what deal you get it will not be a win based on who got the best player....I traded him for the cap flexibility and did all this with a flat cap assuming it does not go up.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll