Created by: yanleg96
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 30, 2020
Published: Mar. 30, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
tax rate tampa : 36.45 %
tax rate montreal : 52.92 %

So the problem here is that if Montreal offer sheet at 6.342m, if he accept the money in his pocket is 2.985M per year but in Tampa it would be of 4.029M. The offer sheet would cost a 1st and a 3rd for Montreal in 2021, which i think is close to his value. But for him, to have the same money as in Tampa in his pocket, Montreal would have to offer something like 8.575M which will cost 2 1st round, a 2nd and a 3rd which is completely ridiculous because he's not worth that much for now. The only problem here is that Tampa will have approximatively 5M to sign sergachev, cirelli,schenn, bogosian, shattenkirk, cernak. Of course, they wont sign them all but i don’t think they will be able to sign cirelli and sergachev both neither. For Sergachev, if Tampa offer him a 4.7m contract he would make the same money as the offer sheet of 6.342M Montreal offers him. All of this is base on the taxes, but the cap doesn’t change so they would have to offer him a 4.7m but with only a space of 5m and a few spot empty in their lineup to compete with the offer sheet so i doubt they will match it. This option is were Montreal could rob Tampa in a certain way, but they could play fair as well (For bergevin hockey is business and he don’t give a ... of being friendly like shown with the last offer sheet of Aho). But consider he want to be a good guy with someone in his division he could make a trade that involves the 2021 1st like the offer sheet and Victor mete. To make them accept the trade I’d put a good prospect like cole fonstad. There in the trade option tampa doesn’t loose that much since they get a cheap defenseman with talent and a good prospect and a 1st pick witch is better than sergachev taking too much place on the cap hit and only a 1st and a 3rd.
Trades
TBL
  1. Fonstad, Cole [Reserve List]
  2. Mete, Victor
  3. 2021 1st round pick (MTL)
MTL
    Sergachev 6.342M @3 years
    TBL
      offer sheet : 1st 2021 and 3rd 2021
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the FLA
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$81,500,000$73,552,975$0$1,345,000$7,947,025
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 4
      $3,150,000$3,150,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $4,800,000$4,800,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $3,083,333$3,083,333
      C
      UFA - 2
      $2,600,000$2,600,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $3,400,000$3,400,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 4
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      C, RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,350,000$2,350,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $2,400,000$2,400,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
      C
      UFA - 3
      $800,000$800,000
      C, LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,625,000$4,625,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $7,857,143$7,857,143
      RD
      UFA - 7
      $10,500,000$10,500,000
      G
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $1,750,000$1,750,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      RD
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 3
      $800,000$800,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $700,000$700,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
      $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 7:53 p.m.
      Banned
      wispers: actually sign him
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 7:57 p.m.
      Sabres are elite
      You just shouldn't have traded him for Drouin, simple. You lost that trade and you lost the chance to have Sergachev on your team
      ConnorMcHellebucyk, Hedman77, SevenLeg and 1 other person liked this.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 8:05 p.m.
      yanleg96
      I completely agree with you about that but drouin was supposed to be better than he actually is. So definitely montreal shoudn' have make this trade but its easy to say it couple years after. In that case, you have to trade two of these guys to sign him and cirelli (Kucherov, Stamkos, Palat, gourde, johnson, killorn, Mcdonagh, hedman).
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 8:07 p.m.
      Log off the internet
      Quoting: Skyraider112
      You just shouldn't have traded him for Drouin, simple. You lost that trade and you lost the chance to have Sergachev on your team

what he said ^

As much as I miss JT Miller, I've accepted the fact we're not getting him back.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 8:14 p.m.
      Habs
      Quoting: yanleg96
      I completely agree with you about that but drouin was supposed to be better than he actually is. So definitely montreal shoudn' have make this trade but its easy to say it couple years after. In that case, you have to trade two of these guys to sign him and cirelli (Kucherov, Stamkos, Palat, gourde, johnson, killorn, Mcdonagh, hedman).

Bravo man, I like the idea of trading Mete instead of an offersheet, but if TB doesn't want to talk trade then offer sheet it is.

Just to add, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, McDonough, Hedman, Stamkos all have NMC or NTC. So they aren't even options for TB to move if they need to make space. Kucherov obviously isnt going anywhere. That leaves Killorn, who has a 16 team NTC and a cap hit of $4.4M, so trading him and replacing with $700k only frees up $3.7M.

They would not be able to resign both Cirelli and Sergachev (unless the cap goes up a lot, which seems unlikely).
      yanleg96 liked this.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 8:15 p.m.
      Habs
      Quoting: Skyraider112

You saying they aren't allowed to offersheet him or trade for him back? What does losing the Drouin trade have to do with this move?
      yanleg96 liked this.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 8:42 p.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: CaptainFlynnt
      Bravo man, I like the idea of trading Mete instead of an offersheet, but if TB doesn't want to talk trade then offer sheet it is.

Just to add, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, McDonough, Hedman, Stamkos all have NMC or NTC. So they aren't even options for TB to move if they need to make space. Kucherov obviously isnt going anywhere. That leaves Killorn, who has a 16 team NTC and a cap hit of $4.4M, so trading him and replacing with $700k only frees up $3.7M.

They would not be able to resign both Cirelli and Sergachev (unless the cap goes up a lot, which seems unlikely).

Don't forget about Cernak CD
      I really hope LA takes advantage of Tampa and steals Sergachev. We'll see. Should be an interesting offseasons for every team.
      CaptainFlynnt liked this.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 8:57 p.m.
      Sabres are elite
      You saying they aren't allowed to offersheet him or trade for him back? What does losing the Drouin trade have to do with this move?

I'm saying there is 0 chance he signs with a team that traded him for someone who was a lackadaisical bum at the time. I'm sure he felt slighted at the time and I'm sure he has no desire to move from a Cup contender to a wild card team
      mk458 liked this.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 9:22 p.m.
      yanleg96
      Yeah because a guy who nearly started his career at the time with 4 games with MTL can be angry toward the team who trade him when the guy hasnt prove anything in nhl and in exchange of a guy who had a 53 pts season. I dont say the guy's been there for the last 10 years and being trade , so he have to move is entire family and they had a life there and the team want him back 2 years after trading him, id say no as well. But yeah the guy could be pissed also for earning net AAV of 1.11M near the beach in tampa versus 821k in the cold weather of montreal. Now situation have changed and Mtl have great assets to become competitive between a wild card and being contender and if he could make more money there also and being an essential for the succes of this team, i'd consider it.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 9:39 p.m.
      MK458
      Highly unlikely that a player would sign an offer sheet from a team that traded him away. Sergachev probably wants to stay with the best team in the league anyways, so I can't imagine he'd sign with Montreal.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 9:48 p.m.
      yanleg96
      Yeah it's unlikely but there's slim chance that he'd accept tho, not 0 chance. To stay in Tampa (AKA the best team who has been swipe in 1st round of last year playoffs by a wild card team) he would have to accept a huge discount on his contract witch is rarely the case of russian player. So there's more chances he accept an offer sheet from an another team but you dont choose the team unless you have few possible offersheets.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 9:57 p.m.
      Habs
      I think Sergachev probably signs this deal to try get more from TB, similar to what Aho did with his offer sheet.

Sergachev signing this contract is just saying ok Tampa, here's what I'm worth, if you want me the ball is in your court match this contract.

@Skyraider112 this doesn't even have to be about MTL. Any team in the league (provided they have the picks and cap space) could offersheet Sergachev. MTL will be among the teams that try to get him.
      yanleg96 liked this.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      You know personal income tax rates, especially for foreigners.....are meaningless in these take home discussions.
      Mar. 30, 2020 at 11:20 p.m.
      Quoting: yanleg96

It was still a bad trade from the moment it was made.
      - Habs didn't want to bring back their most reliable LHD Andrei Markov in recent years....yet they still got rid of Sergachev who was drafted with the purpose of becoming the next Markov.
      - Habs aren't like Preds, a team that can "casually" lose their Elite-Dman (Jones, Weber/Subban, Girard) and still have arguably the best D-Core in the league.
      ----Sure they lost the Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen trade because CBJ got the best player in Jones. However, Pred were still have to solve their major need @ 1C/2C with Ryan Johansen.

Yes Drouin was good until he got injured but the Habs weren't able to solve one of their 2 main needs at time (i.e. Centre or/and lack of goal scoring which was proven during the 2017 playoffs)
      ----Drouin is not a Centre --> Centre need? X
      ----Drouin is a playmaker --> Goal scoring need? X
      Mar. 31, 2020 at 12:27 a.m.
      I don’t disagree that it will be difficult for TBL to sign everybody, but if they do want to trade those guys salary has to be going out or the deal has to be prospects and draft picks.
      Mar. 31, 2020 at 9:22 a.m.
      Banned
      Those pieces aren't getting you Sergachev, Too leave Tampa for Montreal he'd probably want closer to $8million per.
      Mar. 31, 2020 at 11:14 a.m.
      Habs
      Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
      Those pieces aren't getting you Sergachev, Too leave Tampa for Montreal he'd probably want closer to $8million per.

Why?
      Mar. 31, 2020 at 11:19 a.m.
      Habs
      Quoting: palhal
      You know personal income tax rates, especially for foreigners.....are meaningless in these take home discussions.

Do you have a source? Reason I ask is because it is hard to find this information, only thing i have found is a site that calculates net income after income tax for each team and another 2014 report on how the salary cap is flawed because of income tax. Basically, MTL, Toronto, Ottawa etc. Have the lowest "true salary cap".

https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.taxpayer.com/media/CTF-HomeIceDisadvantage.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjV5v2KubvoAhVXbs0KHcA3DVMQFjAJegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0t5J8gGWxmV3bGxJ8-plqr

Even CapFriendly has an income tax calculator.
      Mar. 31, 2020 at 12:57 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Do you have a source? Reason I ask is because it is hard to find this information, only thing i have found is a site that calculates net income after income tax for each team and another 2014 report on how the salary cap is flawed because of income tax. Basically, MTL, Toronto, Ottawa etc. Have the lowest "true salary cap".

https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.taxpayer.com/media/CTF-HomeIceDisadvantage.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjV5v2KubvoAhVXbs0KHcA3DVMQFjAJegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0t5J8gGWxmV3bGxJ8-plqr

Even CapFriendly has an income tax calculator.

Yes, CapFriendly as personal tax calculator....so what? Do players pay personal tax rates, and even if they did, what jurisdiction do they pay the taxes in? Please tell me your source.
      We never read of any Toronto Blue Jay or Raptor not wanting to play in Toronto for tax reasons, but some reason it's a big issue on CapFriendly. Never has a player refused to play in Toronto or Canada or demand that his contract be reworked because of taxes. Because the tax difference for entertainers, professional people in different jurisdictions isn't significant.
      Mar. 31, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
      Habs
      Quoting: palhal
      Yes, CapFriendly as personal tax calculator....so what? Do players pay personal tax rates, and even if they did, what jurisdiction do they pay the taxes in? Please tell me your source.
      We never read of any Toronto Blue Jay or Raptor not wanting to play in Toronto for tax reasons, but some reason it's a big issue on CapFriendly. Never has a player refused to play in Toronto or Canada or demand that his contract be reworked because of taxes. Because the tax difference for entertainers, professional people in different jurisdictions isn't significant.

There is no salary cap in the MLB, and I thought the NBA had a soft cap as well (they can go over and pay luxury tax)?). That isn't comparable to the NHL.

I provided three sources in my comment, I was hoping you could provide one to help explain things.

In this article it mentions that Washington players reside in Virgina or Maryland and are taxed there, but that is still only a couple hours away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hockey-graphs.com/2019/01/08/how-much-do-nhl-players-really-make-part-2-taxes/amp/

I doubt a player like Sergachev could play for MTL and claim he resides in TB.

The rest of the article brings up plenty of examples of how income tax is a factor in what a player takes home.

Tavares, Stamkos, etc.

Another quote about Pacioretty:
      "And for others, like Max Pacioretty in Vegas, it’s what makes a contract more cap-friendly since Montreal would have to pay him about $1.7 million more to have the same take-home pay."

Seems to me like taxes are a very real factor.
      Mar. 31, 2020 at 5:45 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      There is no salary cap in the MLB, and I thought the NBA had a soft cap as well (they can go over and pay luxury tax)?). That isn't comparable to the NHL.

I provided three sources in my comment, I was hoping you could provide one to help explain things.

In this article it mentions that Washington players reside in Virgina or Maryland and are taxed there, but that is still only a couple hours away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hockey-graphs.com/2019/01/08/how-much-do-nhl-players-really-make-part-2-taxes/amp/

I doubt a player like Sergachev could play for MTL and claim he resides in TB.

The rest of the article brings up plenty of examples of how income tax is a factor in what a player takes home.

Tavares, Stamkos, etc.

Another quote about Pacioretty:
      "And for others, like Max Pacioretty in Vegas, it’s what makes a contract more cap-friendly since Montreal would have to pay him about $1.7 million more to have the same take-home pay."

You are applying some American standards to Canada. Why would you think the rules are the same. Actually in the US, a lot taxation depends on where you earn the money not necessarily where you reside. In Canada, it's where you reside for majority of the time. Most Leaf players can be are out of province/country more than six months of the year.
      I've been told and shown players can incorporate their salaries and only be taxed on the money they take out in given year.
      But again never hear of NBA and MLB players complaining of Canadian taxes when they sign or get traded its only the contributors on CapFriendly that think it's an issue.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll