Forums/Armchair-GM

Assuming flat cap one of KerfootJohnssonKapanen is gone eh

Created by: BCAPP
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 31, 2020
Published: Mar. 31, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think Kapanen has the highest upside, but Kerfoot is the most valuable. You need C depth to win in this league. We have a top 4, top 2 C (Tampa, Edmonton (If Drai plays C), Pitts), but after that its pretty questionable. Kerfoot's versatility for under 4 million is too valuable to this team.

I think Kapanen is more tradable in that our highend RW depth is better, but we have also just had half a season without Johnsson and with Nylander playing both sides and Hyman I think he's the most likely to move
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,850,000
3$2,850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (LAK)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (LAK)
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,500,616$0$400,000-$616
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 31, 2020 at 12:40 p.m.
KFTW
If thats their right side, they arent going far. Package Dermott, one of Johnsson/Kerfoot + Bracco/pick for defensive RHD
ek_65 liked this.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 12:45 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It's gonna be interesting how the owners and the NHLPA handle the new cap. Should it based on previous projections of 86m or if actual revenues from the shortened season..which means a 70m reality
You are right one of Kapanen or Johnsson is the likely player to be traded. Trouble is there are so many teams near the cap and they want to get rid of their "Johnssons". As a result Johnsson's actual trade value might be just a fifth rounder, and the Leafs will happy with it to get cap space.
Trickster liked this.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 12:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
with a Dcore like that toronto is trying to beat detroit in GA, Also if the leafs trade anyone its kerfoot, johnsson, and dermott. Kapenan has been solid and becoming a scraper just what this team needed.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 1:19 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I find myself struggling to think of what will happen.
It just keeps looking worse everyday.

The moment you come up with a few scenarios, it shifts again.
I'm with @palhal that cap might even lower, so what does that mean?

How about this idea, reduced salaries by cap %.
Meaning, what is player x cap % right now?
How much will would that be cap percentage wise at lower cap?

I am saying players will agree to decreased salaries but what if something similar to player escrow established to funnel money into and sent back at later date?

Just a thought.

@onex are you gonna rip me on this?
oneX liked this.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 1:33 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Trickster

I am saying players will agree to decreased salaries but what if something similar to player escrow established to funnel money into and sent back at later date?

Just a thought.

IMO if the NHL goes to a lower cap, it will mean lower salaries for everyone not just the unsigned players. Seems on CapFriendly so many think it's only the Leafs that will be major cap issues under a reduced cap.
You can be sure that the majority the NHLPA will vote for a reduction for ALL salaries. Ain't no way the majority of members who are mid to low paid players will allow their "meagre" salaries be reduced even more while top end players get to keep their current salaries. It really doesn't matter to the owner, they are going to spend to cap anyway. It will be the NHLPA who will decide who takes a salary haircut.

The reality is there just not be a regular NHL season even next year. And certainly the economic scenario is going to be pretty clear....folk won't have discretionary money available to attend games and buy merchandise.
Trickster and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: palhal
IMO if the NHL goes to a lower cap, it will mean lower salaries for everyone not just the unsigned players. Seems on CapFriendly so many think it's only the Leafs that will be major cap issues under a reduced cap.
You can be sure that the majority the NHLPA will vote for a reduction for ALL salaries. Ain't no way the majority of members who are mid to low paid players will allow their "meagre" salaries be reduced even more while top end players get to keep their current salaries. It really doesn't matter to the owner, they are going to spend to cap anyway. It will be the NHLPA who will decide who takes a salary haircut.

The reality is there just not be a regular NHL season even next year. And certainly the economic scenario is going to be pretty clear....folk won't have discretionary money available to attend games and buy merchandise.

So you players signed to contracts will agree to lower salaries no problem? I'm not sure on that yet.
It's not impossible.

More likely some sort cov19 escrow recapture is done to give money back in later years once the economy recovers and a normalcy returns. Like perhaps a flat percentage if each players current salary goes into this, players signing new contracts will not be affected.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 4:15 p.m.

Just a thought.

No actually this is quite a smart idea. Differ the salary later into the CBA? Makes some sense.
Trickster liked this.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 4:40 p.m.
So you players signed to contracts will agree to lower salaries no problem? I'm not sure on that yet.
It's not impossible.

More likely some sort cov19 escrow recapture is done to give money back in later years once the economy recovers and a normalcy returns. Like perhaps a flat percentage if each players current salary goes into this, players signing new contracts will not be affected.

Players will need to realize that society doesn't have the same discretionary money it had before all this mess happened and so voluntary salary cuts are likely getting negiotated.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 4:46 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: oneX
Players will need to realize that society doesn't have the same discretionary money it had before all this mess happened and so voluntary salary cuts are likely getting negiotated.

Woah
I thought you would destroy me for suggesting this.

@jamiepo @Sign_em_up000000

What you guys think?
Mar. 31, 2020 at 5:57 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It's not impossible.

No, I'm not saying the players with signed contract will agree....but the majority of the NHLPA will agree.
The basis of salary of the cap is 50/50 sharing of revenue with owners/players. Revenues now 140m average per team not the expected 170m.

PS. the economy recovers? IMO it's going to years....maybe 10 years. Just too much non productivity and money printing is happening now. The virus and the related shutdown will go on for months or more. Gotta think we are going to a big change in world supply lines. Gonna be more localized economies. Either way there are going to be big winners and losers. That's assuming millions don't die.
Trickster liked this.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 6:12 p.m.
Quoting: csick
If thats their right side, they arent going far. Package Dermott, one of Johnsson/Kerfoot + Bracco/pick for defensive RHD

This mythical person doesn't really exist. There is someone like Savard if he's available. In the long run I'm not convinced how much more valuable he is than a guy like Dermott who is entering his prime while Savard leaves his.
palhal liked this.
Mar. 31, 2020 at 6:19 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: BCAPP
This mythical person doesn't really exist. There is someone like Savard if he's available. In the long run I'm not convinced how much more valuable he is than a guy like Dermott who is entering his prime while Savard leaves his.

I personally think Dermott + Kerfoot + 2nd should be enough for someone like Manson. But solid RHDs are so rare rn that their value is sky high so that likely won’t be enough
Apr. 1, 2020 at 12:51 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: csick

Strange how folk said last year that the Leaf were so bad on the right side when Barrie and Ceci played, but no why would it best worse this season . Leafs actually "went far" after the firing of Babcock. Considering Reily, Muzzin and Dermot missed long stretches on the LTIR, the Leaf defence held up OK.
No team would offer as much for the the average Manson but somehow only the Leafs have to strip their team for to acquire RHD mediocrity.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll