Forums/Armchair-GM

Nino at a flat cap

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 2, 2020
Published: Apr. 2, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Neiderreiter is the "big fish" for Edmonton's off-season and I can see him being a cap casualty for the Hurricanes. Edmonton recoups a late 3rd and both teams get a piece they want.

Yamamoto and Jones stay on the roster, but the remaining rookies stay in Bakersfield for at minimum half of the season. Benson needs to find that extra gear and work on his shot and Bouchard is going to be expected to step into a top-4 role upon Larsson leaving the Oilers during the summer of 2021. My expectation with the college grads Bakersfield has been signing recently is that Benson, Marody, Lavoie, McLeod, Maksimov, and the blueline play a full season, but everyone else could be rotated in and out on an as-needed basis. Broberg to stay in Sweden and Rodrigue to take a year with Wichita.

Slepyshev delays his return by a season due to the cap not rising. He and the Oilers likely want to agree on a deal with term, and right now the money isn't there to accommodate his return.

UFA's are all a one-year stopgap for pieces already in the organization. Odds are Athanasiou drops to the #3LW next season or is moved on from, and Nurse is traded for a #2LW. I'd expect RNH to be extended for something in the range of Kevin Hayes. I'd be open to a Sanheim offersheet next summer.

2020 Draft:
#20. (RW) Seth Jarvis (Portland, WHL)
#74 (via WPG). (C) Marat Khusnutdinov (St. Petersburg, MHL)
#82. (C) Jack Finley (Spokane, WHL)
#85. (LW) Antonio Stranges (London, OHL)
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$775,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,000,000
6$4,655,000
1$800,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,650,000
1$1,500,000
1$2,250,000
1$875,000
Trades
EDM
    Compliance Buyout
    EDM
    1. Niederreiter, Nino
    2. 2020 3rd round pick (CAR)
    CAR
    1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
    EDM
    1. Kelly, Parker
    2. 2020 3rd round pick (WPG)
    OTT
    1. Benning, Matthew [RFA Rights]
    EDM
    1. Lashoff, Brian
    2. 2021 5th round pick (DET)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$81,682,699$341,534$230,000-$182,699

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 5
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    LW, RW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $875,000$875,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $875,000$875,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,600,000$5,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $4,655,000$4,655,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    UFA
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $700,000$700,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
    LGI
    Is Stranges really projected to drop that low?
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 4:18 p.m.
    Kafle
    Carolina laughs
    Detroit cuts the phone cord
    And Winnipeg respectfully declines
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 4:19 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: niko
    Is Stranges really projected to drop that low?

The highest I've seen him ranked is in the mid-fourties. Central Scouting has him as the 39th-best NA player, and places like the Draft Analyst have him in the 90's. I think there's an issue with compete or some other verbiage that's causing him to drop like a rock. Honestly, I'd be pulling the trigger if he's available at #74 and trying to drop Marat and Finley to my later picks.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 4:20 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: kafle22
    Carolina laughs
    Detroit cuts the phone cord
    And Winnipeg respectfully declines

The only "decline" that makes any sense here is Winnipeg. Can you elaborate on the other two?
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 4:20 p.m.
    Banned
    Neno is a good target. I think you should go after him
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
    Kafle
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    The only "decline" that makes any sense here is Winnipeg. Can you elaborate on the other two?

Nino is worth way more than a a young ok prospect. If ya want him, you have to at least give a first.
    The detroit one to me doesn't make sense in that why would they want to take in more salary
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Nino is worth way more than a a young ok prospect. If ya want him, you have to at least give a first.
    The detroit one to me doesn't make sense in that why would they want to take in more salary

Detroit can handle the extra salary in order to hit the floor and not ice a roster entirely composed of players on their ELC deals. It's a depth defender and a late pick NEXT year for a power play winger and one of the best PK forwards in the game. Edmonton can't keep them due to affordability.

On that note, you must have missed the memo where the Hurricanes are pretty close to the cap ceiling and are going to be up for a massive crunch next year. By getting their blueline healthy and resigning Vatanen and Foegele (by virtue of what they paid for Vatanen, they might as well sign him for next season), the Hurricanes will go into this season with a nearly identical roster and limited cap space. If Carolina is serious about upgrading their #2C and being able to afford Svechnikov and Hamilton next season, they'll need more than just a CBO to do it. Moving a $5M third line forward is the right move to make.

Puljujarvi - statistically - produced similarly to how Nino did this season and can likely be had at less than $2M per season for at least a couple years. He still has a family high ceiling, the only knock on him right now is that he refuses to play in Edmonton. I've added the third round pick strictly because Carolina has previously shown interest in Puljujarvi and Edmonton is eating $5.25M with no relief going back to Carolina. I don't think this deal is too far out of the realm of realistic to warrant an immediate dismissal.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
    Kafle
    trust me khaira is not the best pk forward in the game, and nino is not a 3rd line player, hes at best a 2C
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 5:03 p.m.
    CAR delines, they certainly won't have cap troubles next year (unless they land Hall or smth, but that's an entirely different scenario) and as i proved last night by signing Dougie and Svech to 12 mil extensions with the cap about as low as it's going to be when their contracts are up and still fit under the cap, they really don't have cap issues the year after either, also Perreault>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Russell
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 5:27 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    trust me khaira is not the best pk forward in the game, and nino is not a 3rd line player, hes at best a 2C

Khaira is in the top 10 for least goals against per 60min played on the penalty kill over the last 3 seasons. I said one of the best, not the best. Coupling that information with your assessment of Neiderreiter being a center and it's painfully obvious you have less than a clue as to what you're talking about.

Quoting: AFOX10900
    CAR delines, they certainly won't have cap troubles next year (unless they land Hall or smth, but that's an entirely different scenario) and as i proved last night by signing Dougie and Svech to 12 mil extensions with the cap about as low as it's going to be when their contracts are up and still fit under the cap, they really don't have cap issues the year after either, also Perreault>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Russell

And you did so in a manner that obliterates Carolina's chances of being a contending team after that season.

You're running what would be the weakest goaltending tandem in the league, arguably rushing Rees and Bokk into NHL employment, and entirely reliant on the UFA market to fill out the roster the following seasons. How do you replace Trocheck and Niederreiter next season? They either need a raise, you end up shopping for even more expensive replacements in July, or you replace them with lesser players to make up for the money pissed away earlier. You're assuming Carolina just moves on from Vatanen and wastes the assets they gave up for him. If Necas excels and is forced into the #2C role, he's going to demand a payday. Even if you move Gardiner and both Svechnikov and Hamilton don't require that much money, your iteration of the Hurricanes is in a bad, bad spot until the cap starts jumping up again.

The Hurricanes will be moving on from at least two players this season. My assumption is Gardiner and Niederreiter. They need the financial flexibility to improve their roster somehow and assuming ignorance to that issue doesn't improve their roster. The Hurricanes are set up to rule the Metropolitan division for the next half decade. I could live with a straight Puljujarvi for Nino swap, but I personally want more.

I must have missed the part where Russell produced nearly as much as Perreault did while playing defense. It's a swap of bad deals for both teams to improve on their areas of weakness. You're grossly over-exaggerating the difference between Matt and Kris.
    Copenhagen and CD282 liked this.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 5:48 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers

Niederreiter isn't worth a 1st, his numbers declined this year, he might rebound but if not he's an expensive 3rd line winger and outside of one season and his good run with Carolina after his trade from Minnesota last season he's only ever produced like a 3rd line player, good chance that's exactly what he is which isn't worth a 1st though Tampa's moron GM gave 1sts for Coleman and Goodrow so anything is possible I guess.. Lol, those two weren't making $5.25M either though.

I could see Detroit making that trade if they actually want to get better, they have a terrible bottom 6, both Khaira and Chiasson are improvements on what they have now.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 5:55 p.m.
    Khaira is in the top 10 for least goals against per 60min played on the penalty kill over the last 3 seasons. I said one of the best, not the best. Coupling that information with your assessment of Neiderreiter being a center and it's painfully obvious you have less than a clue as to what you're talking about.

And you did so in a manner that obliterates Carolina's chances of being a contending team after that season.

You're running what would be the weakest goaltending tandem in the league, arguably rushing Rees and Bokk into NHL employment, and entirely reliant on the UFA market to fill out the roster the following seasons. How do you replace Trocheck and Niederreiter next season? They either need a raise, you end up shopping for even more expensive replacements in July, or you replace them with lesser players to make up for the money pissed away earlier. You're assuming Carolina just moves on from Vatanen and wastes the assets they gave up for him. If Necas excels and is forced into the #2C role, he's going to demand a payday. Even if you move Gardiner and both Svechnikov and Hamilton don't require that much money, your iteration of the Hurricanes is in a bad, bad spot until the cap starts jumping up again.

The Hurricanes will be moving on from at least two players this season. My assumption is Gardiner and Niederreiter. They need the financial flexibility to improve their roster somehow and assuming ignorance to that issue doesn't improve their roster. The Hurricanes are set up to rule the Metropolitan division for the next half decade. I could live with a straight Puljujarvi for Nino swap, but I personally want more.

I must have missed the part where Russell produced nearly as much as Perreault did while playing defense. It's a swap of bad deals for both teams to improve on their areas of weakness. You're grossly over-exaggerating the difference between Matt and Kris.

No not really, especially considering that is an entirely unrealistically bad scenario... They can still move (and would before moving Nino) Skjei Gardiner, and at least one of Trocheck or Staal

Not really that weak, Ned is very very close to NHL ready now, that's with 1.5 more years of development, and Reimer has been a legit starting calibre goalie this yr, as I said in the description of your think I'm rushing prospects (I'm not rushing Bokk) replace them with one of Suzuki Drury or Puisola etc, or possibly the 2020 first depending on where it ends up and who they get, Trocheck can go, replaced by one of the kids at 3C, spend his money on Nino (who A. Probably won't get that large of a raise, and B. I thought his contract was another year) and use the rest+cap increase to resign Nec (and I wouldn't be surprised if there's another decent jump that year) the kids will be ready, you team has drafted spectacularly, and are great at developing, if not, move Staal and Geekie up, sign 2 4th liners that probably come in cheaper than the ELC's... They should move on from Vatanen, he's not good anymore and will get a ton of money, just cut your loses, even without moving Gards or Staal that version is really not in that bad of a spot, especially considering the fact that the cap is probably 3+ mil higher, Dougie probably gets 2-3 mil less and Svech probably gets 1-2 mil less (plus that's so far into the future... So much can happen, canes can trade up and draft another elite forward this draft, they could somehow miss and win the Raty lotto next year, hell they could even trade Aho after July 1 lmao, we don't know)... I would not do a 1 for 1 Nino for pool party and they don't really need to improve their roster from outside that much... They have the pieces already in the system, I'd much rather keep Nino and not go for a UFA (unless it's Hall or MAYBE Dadonov) than trade Nino and replace him with a worse and more overpaid player like you'd most likely find on July 1

Ig I forgot that Perrault is better defensively than Russell AS A FORWARD
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 5:56 p.m.

4 draws in 68 games does not make you a 2nd line center, what it means is you are NOT a center at all, even wingers take more draws than that.
    Also Nino averages 14;49 minutes of ice time per game through his career and that is exactly what he averaged this year. That is 3rd line material.
    Poolparty is already projected to be exactly that right now without growth, that trade is way more than fair to get rid of that horrible contract. If i am Oilers gm, no way I make that deal. Nino does not even kill penalties.
    @BeterChiarelli
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 5:58 p.m.
    Quoting: MisstheWhalers
    Niederreiter isn't worth a 1st, his numbers declined this year, he might rebound but if not he's an expensive 3rd line winger and outside of one season and his good run with Carolina after his trade from Minnesota last season he's only ever produced like a 3rd line player, good chance that's exactly what he is which isn't worth a 1st though Tampa's moron GM gave 1sts for Coleman and Goodrow so anything is possible I guess.. Lol, those two weren't making $5.25M either though.

I could see Detroit making that trade if they actually want to get better, they have a terrible bottom 6, both Khaira and Chiasson are improvements on what they have now.

Totally, everyone would accept these trades.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: Copenhagen
    If i am Oilers gm, no way I make that deal. Nino does not even kill penalties.
    @BeterChiarelli

Nino would be acquired for his ability to play as a top-6 winger at even strength and offer some power play utility. My penalty kill clearly doesn't need to have him on it to make the trade worthwhile now, does it?
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 6:06 p.m.
    Nino would be acquired for his ability to play as a top-6 winger at even strength and offer some power play utility. My penalty kill clearly doesn't need to have him on it to make the trade worthwhile now, does it?

What I was getting at with PK time was that also takes away from his value. Carolina does this trade in a heartbeat.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 6:19 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers
    No not really, especially considering that is an entirely unrealistically bad scenario... They can still move (and would before moving Nino) Skjei Gardiner, and at least one of Trocheck or Staal

Not really that weak, Ned is very very close to NHL ready now, that's with 1.5 more years of development, and Reimer has been a legit starting calibre goalie this yr, as I said in the description of your think I'm rushing prospects (I'm not rushing Bokk) replace them with one of Suzuki Drury or Puisola etc, or possibly the 2020 first depending on where it ends up and who they get, Trocheck can go, replaced by one of the kids at 3C, spend his money on Nino (who A. Probably won't get that large of a raise, and B. I thought his contract was another year) and use the rest+cap increase to resign Nec (and I wouldn't be surprised if there's another decent jump that year) the kids will be ready, you team has drafted spectacularly, and are great at developing, if not, move Staal and Geekie up, sign 2 4th liners that probably come in cheaper than the ELC's... They should move on from Vatanen, he's not good anymore and will get a ton of money, just cut your loses, even without moving Gards or Staal that version is really not in that bad of a spot, especially considering the fact that the cap is probably 3+ mil higher, Dougie probably gets 2-3 mil less and Svech probably gets 1-2 mil less (plus that's so far into the future... So much can happen, canes can trade up and draft another elite forward this draft, they could somehow miss and win the Raty lotto next year, hell they could even trade Aho after July 1 lmao, we don't know)... I would not do a 1 for 1 Nino for pool party and they don't really need to improve their roster from outside that much... They have the pieces already in the system, I'd much rather keep Nino and not go for a UFA (unless it's Hall or MAYBE Dadonov) than trade Nino and replace him with a worse and more overpaid player like you'd most likely find on July 1

Ig I forgot that Perrault is better defensively than Russell AS A FORWARD

They should definitely move Niederreiter before Trocheck.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 6:19 p.m.
    They should definitely move Niederreiter before Trocheck.

No, Nino is way better lol
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 6:25 p.m.
    Ban Price trades

Trocheck plays center, is cheaper, has more term, and produces more, and you want to prioritize trading him before Niederreiter? I genuinely hope this isn't based off of his 7 game sample after being acquired.
    MisstheWhalers liked this.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 6:32 p.m.
    Trocheck plays center, is cheaper, has more term, and produces more, and you want to prioritize trading him before Niederreiter? I genuinely hope this isn't based off of his 7 game sample after being acquired.

Trocheck improved after going to CAR... I'd still trade him before Nino
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 6:54 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers

Thats crazy, as others have said Trocheck plays center and is cheaper, he's clearly the one to keep if it came down to choosing between the two.

Trocheck was producing at a 50 point season rate,
    Niederreiter was on pace for 35 points, not that points are everything but Trocheck was having a more productive season and plays center, I'm sure most would keep him over Nino.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
    I'm sure most would keep him over Nino.

And that's exactly why I'd trade him (you'd get much more back, and imo don't downgrade, other than at position)
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 7:05 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers
    And that's exactly why I'd trade him (you'd get much more back, and imo don't downgrade, other than at position)

At the toughest position to fill though.
    CD282 liked this.
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 7:10 p.m.
    At the toughest position to fill though.

Suzuki Rees Geekie Murray Drury
    Apr. 2, 2020 at 7:26 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers
    Suzuki Rees Geekie Murray Drury

A bunch of rookies and prospects..lol, there's a reason they traded for Trocheck.
    CD282 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll