Initial Creation Date: Apr. 4, 2020
Published: Apr. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Assumptions:
- Flat salary cap

I already made a "Sergachev Offersheet" team here:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1691073

The problem is there will probably be other teams looking to offersheet so why should Sergachev accept an offersheet from MTL (taxes, already traded him, etc.).

This version has MTL trading for Sergachev. TB will be interested in low salary NHL players with upside. The cost of the proposed offersheet is a 1st and a 3rd, so I believe if a trade beats that value then TB may be tempted to say yes.

Mete is only 21 years old and will cost TB maybe $1.5M. He already has 3 seasons under his belt and he can play top 4 minutes. He is exactly what TB would be looking for, cheap and effective. Evans is ready for bottom 6 duties in the NHL and is young with upside. Added a 2nd round pick to boost the value TB is getting out of the trade. I think this package = a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$875,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,100,000
1$700,000
1$900,000
2$700,000
1$700,000
1$850,000
5$6,350,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$3,100,000
1$750,000
2$2,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Marchenko, Alexei
1$1,100,000
Okulov, Konstantin
1$925,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Sergachev, Mikhail [RFA Rights]
TBL
  1. Evans, Jake [RFA Rights]
  2. Mete, Victor [RFA Rights]
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (STL)
MTL
  1. Bernier, Jonathan ($600,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Conditional 2022 2nd Round Pick:
- If MTL re-signs Bernier then DET keeps the draft pick.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,953,809$0$425,000$2,546,191

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,100,000$5,100,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
LW, RW
UFA
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Okulov, Konstantin
$925,000$925,000
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,350,000$6,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$2,400,000$2,400,000
G
UFA - 1
Marchenko, Alexei
$1,100,000$1,100,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 4, 2020 at 3:56 p.m.
Billy739
I think Evans would have to become Poehling for this to work
or make it this years top 3 protected 1st if not

they need quality somewhere in the deal
sure their cap is tight and they risk losing Cirelli or Sergachev unless they sign 1-2 years 3-3.5m deals which is unlikely as even then they're not guaranteed a payday just a slight bump.

if its me and i'm TBL with Cap issues and a history of drafting well i want MTL's top 10 this year , Mete and Evans for Sergachev now seasoned ready for a top LD role beside Weber
Apr. 4, 2020 at 4:03 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: Billy739
I think Evans would have to become Poehling for this to work
or make it this years top 3 protected 1st if not

they need quality somewhere in the deal
sure their cap is tight and they risk losing Cirelli or Sergachev unless they sign 1-2 years 3-3.5m deals which is unlikely as even then they're not guaranteed a payday just a slight bump.

if its me and i'm TBL with Cap issues and a history of drafting well i want MTL's top 10 this year , Mete and Evans for Sergachev now seasoned ready for a top LD role beside Weber

That's fine, but why not just go the offersheet route if you are MTL?

I was thinking of trading Poehling originally, but I would rather keep him over Evans. If I'm trading Poehling, TB isn't getting a 2nd round pick in the deal.

Honestly this is the price I'd be comfortable with, if it doesn't work, try an offersheet.

Giving up what you asked for at the end would be a terrible trade for MTL. Sergachev was drafted 9th overall himself, MTL can draft a player of Sergachev's caliber and just keep Mete and Evans and invest the $4.5M they would be using for Sergachev elsewhere.
Billy739 liked this.
Apr. 4, 2020 at 4:19 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: CaptainFlynnt

I was thinking of trading Poehling originally, but I would rather keep him over Evans. If I'm trading Poehling, TB isn't getting a 2nd round pick in the deal.

Honestly this is the price I'd be comfortable with, if it doesn't work, try an offersheet.

Giving up what you asked for at the end would be a terrible trade for MTL. Sergachev was drafted 9th overall himself, MTL can draft a player of Sergachev's caliber and just keep Mete and Evans and invest the $4.5M they would be using for Sergachev elsewhere.

i'd go OS route personally but i dont think we'll wiin him that way as i think TBL will match up until their cap limit if Cirelli's not signed already.
then again we could just threaten to Offesheet Cirelli next i suppose if that's even legal (assuming it is )

it would be much easier to get him this way vs the cost of a trade
in a trade TBL holds some cards still but in an offersheet they're left with a yes or no ultimatium if player and interested party are united
CaptainFlynnt liked this.
Apr. 4, 2020 at 4:27 p.m.
Billy739

As far as where Sergachev was drafted vs where he is.
where he was drafted doesnt overrule his value anymore then where TBL draft D'angelo undermines his .
Most 1st round picks dont make the NHL as a regular for more then a few seasons
we're not guaranteeing them nothing especially with how weak this year D crop is outside Drysdale its all projects needing 2-3 years development.

Segachev is physical , aggressive while being skilled and consistent at such a young age.
You find a D like that maybe a dozen times in a decade if you're lucky

Mete's minutes and production just dont justify him being considered more then a 3rd pair special teams player with a marginal value
Unlike Gallagher this dog has no fight in him so he 5'9 D has limited potential to get better

That and Evans i can live with paying if it gives a 22+ minute top LD who's still young and coming off his ELC.
Seems fair to me even if TBL drafts another solid player MTL now has Sergachev-Weber,Romanov-Petry,Chiarot-Fleury for the forseeable future.

Sounds like MTL becomes young and strong enough to make an impact long term while learning from Weber
Apr. 4, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Habs
Edited Apr. 4, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
i'd go OS route personally but i dont think we'll wiin him that way as i think TBL will match up until their cap limit if Cirelli's not signed already.
then again we could just threaten to Offesheet Cirelli next i suppose if that's even legal (assuming it is )

it would be much easier to get him this way vs the cost of a trade
in a trade TBL holds some cards still but in an offersheet they're left with a yes or no ultimatium if player and interested party are united

I wouldn't* be interested in Cirelli personally, but some team would be I'm sure. If Sergachev accepts a $6.34M offersheet TB wouldnt even have enough cap space to match it unless they got real creative. Everyone on there team has NTC's.

In the end I don't think this scenario is even likely to happen, if the cap stays flat I'm assuming they will give everyone compliance buyouts in which case TB could buyout some of the guys who have NTC's if they want to resign Sergachev. Doesn't mean I still wouldn't offersheet Sergachev, even if it just means TB has to pay a couple more million to sign him. Only way to level the playing field when it comes to the tax difference.
Apr. 4, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
Habs
As far as where Sergachev was drafted vs where he is.
where he was drafted doesnt overrule his value anymore then where TBL draft D'angelo undermines his .
Most 1st round picks dont make the NHL as a regular for more then a few seasons
we're not guaranteeing them nothing especially with how weak this year D crop is outside Drysdale its all projects needing 2-3 years development.

Segachev is physical , aggressive while being skilled and consistent at such a young age.
You find a D like that maybe a dozen times in a decade if you're lucky

Mete's minutes and production just dont justify him being considered more then a 3rd pair special teams player with a marginal value
Unlike Gallagher this dog has no fight in him so he 5'9 D has limited potential to get better

That and Evans i can live with paying if it gives a 22+ minute top LD who's still young and coming off his ELC.
Seems fair to me even if TBL drafts another solid player MTL now has Sergachev-Weber,Romanov-Petry,Chiarot-Fleury for the forseeable future.

Sounds like MTL becomes young and strong enough to make an impact long term while learning from Weber

Agreed nothing is guaranteed in the draft, but I don't think that means we should be trading our top 10 pick plus to a team who has no leverage due to their salary cap issues.

MTL gave up Sergachev for Drouin in a year in which:
- TB did not have cap space to sign Drouin
- TB did not want to protect Drouin in the expansion draft
- Drouin had previously asked for a trade out of TB

All that and we still traded away our best prospect. We then gave Drouin $5.5M which ended up leading to not enough $$$ to re-sign Radulov or Markov who walked for nothing.

The trade you are proposing has the same elements (we will have to sign Gallagher, danault, tatar, armia, petry after next season).

The purpose of my trade is to try steal a player from a team in cap trouble, not to help a team out of a cap crunch.

Also, I think we will be losing Chiarot in the expansion draft if we make this trade. One defenseman for sure.
Billy739 liked this.
Apr. 4, 2020 at 5:17 p.m.
Billy739
Agreed nothing is guaranteed in the draft, but I don't think that means we should be trading our top 10 pick plus to a team who has no leverage due to their salary cap issues.

MTL gave up Sergachev for Drouin in a year in which:
- TB did not have cap space to sign Drouin
- TB did not want to protect Drouin in the expansion draft
- Drouin had previously asked for a trade out of TB

All that and we still traded away our best prospect. We then gave Drouin $5.5M which ended up leading to not enough $$$ to re-sign Radulov or Markov who walked for nothing.

The trade you are proposing has the same elements (we will have to sign Gallagher, danault, tatar, armia, petry after next season).

The purpose of my trade is to try steal a player from a team in cap trouble, not to help a team out of a cap crunch.

Also, I think we will be losing Chiarot in the expansion draft if we make this trade. One defenseman for sure.

i still think TBL gives up Cirelli over Sergachev given the price paid.
Cirelli's awesome but he's an unplanned success on a team in cap hell as you pointed out
given how much more stacked their offense is i'd wager they'd rather Cirelli leave and collect a 1st and a 3rd
its easier to develop another Cirelli then Sergachev.

That's why i figured you'd have to make atleast an appealing offer
CaptainFlynnt liked this.
Apr. 4, 2020 at 5:44 p.m.
Habs
i still think TBL gives up Cirelli over Sergachev given the price paid.
Cirelli's awesome but he's an unplanned success on a team in cap hell as you pointed out
given how much more stacked their offense is i'd wager they'd rather Cirelli leave and collect a 1st and a 3rd
its easier to develop another Cirelli then Sergachev.

That's why i figured you'd have to make atleast an appealing offer

Agreed, you are right, TB should be keeping Sergachev over Cirelli. Again, this is a pipe dream since if the cap stays flat there will likely be a CBO available for TB to free up more cap space.

If only we held on to Sergachev. I would have liked to see him and Romanov paired together one day.
Billy739 liked this.
Apr. 4, 2020 at 10:26 p.m.
Billy739
Agreed, you are right, TB should be keeping Sergachev over Cirelli. Again, this is a pipe dream since if the cap stays flat there will likely be a CBO available for TB to free up more cap space.

If only we held on to Sergachev. I would have liked to see him and Romanov paired together one day.

i agree on this one

to bad we couldnt just get both Cirelli and Sergachev in a trade
for something like Domi and Poehling
They wouldnt have to give up much skill and could stay under the cap

Domi could replace Cirelli's production offensively
while Poehling buys TBL time as he doesnt have to be protected and shows as much likelihood of succeeding with TBL as Cirelli did .

sure they dont get a D back in the Deal but the dont lose value , they go from 2 players they'd have to protect if they could sign both on 7 and a half million down to 1 top 6 center and a top AHL Center Prospect and former 1st round steal .

MTL gets the D they want and Suzuki and Cielli can battle it out for middle 6 Center positions while Kotkanemi is seasoning in the AHL with Ylonen .
If all goes well MTL might even be in a position to move Danault rather then re-sign him if the internal competition between Cirelli and Suzuki bears fruit

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll