Forums/Armchair-GM

Might as well remove 19-20 off here

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 4, 2020
Published: Apr. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The regular season ends today.....or was suppose to.
They are talking about sports coming back in August/September.

So yeah, hockey is done. They just ain't announced it yet. NBA already making a shut down plan.
They can't wait on league business that long. It would destroy everything for next year.
They got to draft, do Free agency et....
If they don't start till August, and then they need to take care of the league. You got 2 months of playoffs because they can't change the format of 7 games series with out ruining the integrity of the game.. You are looking at the end of t he season in Oct.... When hockey is starting everywhere else. That can't happen. Top draft picks want to go play in the NHL. FA in other leagues like the NCAA and Europe want to sign and play.
It would be a total cluster F. It would take at least 2 months to square away the draft and FA. You wouldn't have Hockey till 2021. Preseason at best in December.
That's a losing formula. And it assumes that there is no evening up of records. Some teams still got 67 games others got 70-71.
The season is canceled the games return in Oct.

The penguins at this point have to sign a RD. They simply don't have a single prospect who is a RHD.
Unless they are pulling someone out the NCAA, they like most teams will be in the defense free for all. Lets all hope, there are no more Hunwick/JJ moves. You have to be on egg shells every time GMJR picks a defense man in FA. He's drunk someone take the away the keys.

The desperately need a top flight RW. They go with youth. The rest are all over 30. I would love to bring in one of the prospects here, but they are so conservative it won't happen. But I honestly think they solve a lot of problems if they did.

The 3rd pairing is no worse than this years. It's probably an improvement. They should go for it.

Then there is 3C which next to LD is the biggest issue on this team.
Moving Jugs means needing a center. FA is bare.
Derick Brassard is probably the best available. Been there done that pass.
Then probably Erik Haula. But is he really any better than what we have to be worth paying him a ton?
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$700,000
2$700,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$800,000
3$3,000,000
1$4,000,000
2$900,000
2$1,000,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,750,000
3$3,500,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Ottawa needs centers and cap, especially cap that rides on LTIR for like the whole year.
He can go to any team that needs a center really.
The UFA market is bare. They will get a 3rd out of his expiring contract. My guess is he mans up and plays next year because if he doesn't, he's done and out the league so some team will take that shot. He will be moved easily.
PIT
    this is a buyout not a trade.
    PIT
    1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
    3. 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
    Additional Details:
    These 3 gone somewhere. Not saying EDM but somewhere.
    ERod just doesn't have a spot here. Will go to a team needing cheap forward help.
    Simon it's been real and by real I mean you can't score but a team looking for help at winger on the cheap like EDM would probably take you.
    Rikkola can't be sent down, it becomes a numbers game so they trade him out. He has value somewhere to some team as defense is always a need.
    Who knows what we get in return.
    PIT
    1. 2020 4th round pick (EDM)
    Additional Details:
    OTT, DET, NJ
    What do these 3 teams have in common.
    They all need LD, they are all rebuilding, none of them are really in position to spend on a big fish defensemen as the rest of the roster really isn't ready for the rebuild to take hold.

Most of the defense on these teams is leaving due to injury age etc... they need replaced.
    I think Detroit makes the most sense. But some kind of move should be made here.
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$73,427,675$0$2,095,000$8,072,325
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $764,167$764,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    C
    RFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    C
    RFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 4, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
    Brace for the Storm
    You're not even getting a 4th for Bjugstad
    Apr. 4, 2020 at 6:04 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

you haven't see the center FA market have you.
    Pens3lieve liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2020 at 6:40 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

Why not? Penguins traded Beau Bennett for a 3rd rounder
    Apr. 4, 2020 at 8:17 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers
    If you need cap space from Rodriguez, Rikkola and Simon then just don't qualify them, no one is trading for them in the offseason, as playoff depth maybe but not in the summer.

Islanders fans were certain last summer/fall that some team would give a late round pick for Hickey and he ended up on waivers not claimed and sent to the AHL, if not one wanted him I can't see anyone wanting Johnson and I'm not a JJ hater like so many are here, it's just that no one wants an expensive third pairing dman and rebuilding teams would rather give the ice time to a developing player or sign a cheap one or two year depth dman placeholder which there's plenty of availabe in free agency every summer, maybe if you sent some picks/prospects with JJ a team like Detroit would take him but they're not giving a pick for him, not even a late one.

I think Bjustad is probably tradable, this stoppage, him missing so much time and his cap hit might make dealing him difficult though, not sure you'd get a 3rd but I think they'd get at least a 4th round pick.
    Apr. 4, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: MisstheWhalers
    If you need cap space from Rodriguez, Rikkola and Simon then just don't qualify them, no one is trading for them in the offseason, as playoff depth maybe but not in the summer.

Islanders fans were certain last summer/fall that some team would give a late round pick for Hickey and he ended up on waivers not claimed and sent to the AHL, if not one wanted him I can't see anyone wanting Johnson and I'm not a JJ hater like so many are here, it's just that no one wants an expensive third pairing dman and rebuilding teams would rather give the ice time to a developing player or sign a cheap one or two year depth dman placeholder which there's plenty of availabe in free agency every summer, maybe if you sent some picks/prospects with JJ a team like Detroit would take him but they're not giving a pick for him, not even a late one.

I think Bjustad is probably tradable, this stoppage, him missing so much time and his cap hit might make dealing him difficult though, not sure you'd get a 3rd but I think they'd get at least a 4th round pick.

For Rodriguez that might be true.
    However, people always are looking for defense and Rikkola has some value there. Simon also has value as a low price forward who can play. I'd much rather have him than say Sam Gagner, especially at a cheaper price. note, I'm not saying any of them will return a 1st. But they will return something and they do have value and could be traded. Neither of them is Hickey.

As for JJ that may or may not be true. It's one of the reasons I didn't spend all the cap space. Because it could very well be they start with him on the roster.
    But if they could dump Matta and Gudbranson in the same year....... they will be able to dump JJ as well.
    After all, Gudbranson was a 4 million 2 year 3rd pairing D man. JJ is a 3.25 million 3 year D man. Price and value wise you are looking at a really close call there.
    Truth is there is never enough defense in the league. It could be they move Rikkola and JJ in the same deal. or JJ and Simon. Whatever. I think the later in the year they move him, the more likely they get a small return.
    The point being those 3 teams listed above. All need defense. All of them are in rebuild mode so they aren't going to attract guys who want to win or even look like they have a chance at winning.
    I keep going back to DET with him because they have no one.
    You got Nemeth who's contract ends next year and will probably be sent out by years end as a rental.
    You got DeKeyser who is always hurt and on IR. He played 8 games this year. 52 the year before. He's either tired of losing and just riding IR for the hell of it. Or he's looking like he's busted and done.
    Then you have no one. Cholowski is not ready and has not looked good. He's been sent back down to the AHL.
    You got McIsaac who is not ready and needs to spend time in the AHL.
    And you got Hicketts who is an AHL caliber guy.

We can go round and round on this. And I don't care how you flip it, you got a team that needs 3 LD.
    When you need 3LD, and FA isn't giving it to you because there isn't that much defense available. Because everyone worth anything is leaving a hole somewhere else. And you got a slew of guys who are retiring and not really many people coming in to replace them. Much like what you see here in Detroit. It means a guy like JJ can be moved.
    Pens3lieve liked this.
    Apr. 5, 2020 at 1:33 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    For the penguins best seasons, they have to have players break out. In 16 and 17 that happened. This year is was rust, Jarry, (bleuger and ZAR formed a shutdown defensive line).
    pharrow liked this.
    Apr. 5, 2020 at 3:14 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers
    Quoting: pharrow
    For Rodriguez that might be true.
    However, people always are looking for defense and Rikkola has some value there. Simon also has value as a low price forward who can play. I'd much rather have him than say Sam Gagner, especially at a cheaper price. note, I'm not saying any of them will return a 1st. But they will return something and they do have value and could be traded. Neither of them is Hickey.

As for JJ that may or may not be true. It's one of the reasons I didn't spend all the cap space. Because it could very well be they start with him on the roster.
    But if they could dump Matta and Gudbranson in the same year....... they will be able to dump JJ as well.
    After all, Gudbranson was a 4 million 2 year 3rd pairing D man. JJ is a 3.25 million 3 year D man. Price and value wise you are looking at a really close call there.
    Truth is there is never enough defense in the league. It could be they move Rikkola and JJ in the same deal. or JJ and Simon. Whatever. I think the later in the year they move him, the more likely they get a small return.
    The point being those 3 teams listed above. All need defense. All of them are in rebuild mode so they aren't going to attract guys who want to win or even look like they have a chance at winning.
    I keep going back to DET with him because they have no one.
    You got Nemeth who's contract ends next year and will probably be sent out by years end as a rental.
    You got DeKeyser who is always hurt and on IR. He played 8 games this year. 52 the year before. He's either tired of losing and just riding IR for the hell of it. Or he's looking like he's busted and done.
    Then you have no one. Cholowski is not ready and has not looked good. He's been sent back down to the AHL.
    You got McIsaac who is not ready and needs to spend time in the AHL.
    And you got Hicketts who is an AHL caliber guy.

We can go round and round on this. And I don't care how you flip it, you got a team that needs 3 LD.
    When you need 3LD, and FA isn't giving it to you because there isn't that much defense available. Because everyone worth anything is leaving a hole somewhere else. And you got a slew of guys who are retiring and not really many people coming in to replace them. Much like what you see here in Detroit. It means a guy like JJ can be moved.

Yeah you could find a trade partner for Simon, his numbers are decent actually but Rodrigues and Rikkola I still don't think you'd find a trade partner for, I think they're sign them and send them down or let them walk, really doubt there's a trade for either of them. I wasn't comparing Hickey to any of those three, was comparing him to JJ which is a pretty similar situation.

Maata was younger, better and is probably still looked at as a 2nd pair dman by many GM's, Gudbranson had less term and is a tough guy enforcer to watch out for the kids, really doubt Johnson would be viewed as that by other GM's, he's an expensive third pairing guy who's 33, just can't see there being much teams interested in adding that.

Have you looked at how many UFA dmen there are this summer, there's a lot from the top end types, middle of the road dmen and lower end #5/6 and depth dmen available, really can't see why a team would want Johnson when they could sign any number of the guys available many of which will probably have to take some pretty cheap contracts just to find a job. That's also not taking into account some of the RFA dmen that might be finding new homes that other teams might want to take a chance on, guys like Stecher and Zadorov for example have been rumored to be on the move, maybe a rebuilding team takes a chance on a guy like them thinking he's still young enough that he could be part of their future plans, I could see Detroit or Ottawa making a move like that.

I hear what you're saying about Detroit but they could likely sign two Nemeth's to two year deals this summer for a couple veterans on the back end if they wanted to and I doubt they'd have to overpay, I think there's a good possibility that theres gonna be more guys looking for jobs then there's gonna be teams with spots and cap space for them and in Detroit's situation specifically they'd be wise to use that cap space to get compensated with picks/prospects to take teams cap dumps, if there's no compliance buyouts Detroit might be able to use their cap space to their advantage if they want.

I'm not a JJ hater, I'm really not but I don't think he's movable without some incentive involved for a team to take him.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll