Who would you draft

Created by: Daredevil514
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 5, 2020
Published: Apr. 5, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So let's say we have the 8th pick.

Lafreniere, Byfield and Stuzle are the only player who cant fall this low IMO.

Even if guys like Raymond and Drysdale should be gone, its hard to guarantee it, every draft comes with his share of surprises. Zadina was supposed to be 3rd, Seider was not supposed to be 6th and Caufield was a top 10 Pick etc etc.

So, if you have the choice between Drysdale, Raymond, Holtz, Rossi, Perfetti, Lundell, Askarov or even Quinn, what is the pick you think is best for the habs and why? Or even let us know from best to worst. I know they wont be all available its just a discussion subject.

I personnally think

Drysdale
Raymond
Rossi
Holtz
Lundell
Perfetti
Quinn
Askarov (in term of potential he would be much higher, I just dont like picking up a Goaltender at this spot)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$73,407,142$0$495,000$8,092,858
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 5, 2020 at 4:43 p.m.
I really hope you draft askarov just because it would be funny
Jo_Habs77 liked this.
Hop on the Slaftrain
My personal favorites are Rossi and Drysdale but i doubt they'll be available
EzioUchiha liked this.
It really depends on what you see in Kotki's future IMO. Suzuki is shaping to to a solid top 6 center, Domi can also be a solid 2C. Danault is a decent 2C and elite 3C. So rhats kind of where it falls. Can Kotki live up to his draft? If yes, get a winger, if no get a center. I would probably not get Lundell though due to his lower offensive ceiling and you already have Danault for that 2-way player
Daredevil514 liked this.
Apr. 5, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: papishark

With Cayden Primeau in their system and Price going to be a member of the Canadiens until the heat death of the universe, this is highly unlikely.

Suzuki taking a step forward, as well as Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Hillis taking their time to develop is probably going to reduce Montreal's priority in taking a center that won't at least be a home-run #1C in the NHL. I think there's a chance Lundell could be such a player, but Kotkaniemi and Suzuki can provide a strong one-two punch for Montreal provided that management is patient with them and insulates them properly. If Montreal continues to slide and they're presented with a top pick next season, I think they'll find their franchise pivot at the 2021 draft instead.

Montreal is a touch weak on the right side of their blueline due to the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Juulsen, but this draft is not very strong for high-end defencemen. Drysdale is also very, very likely to be a top-5 pick and will be off the board by the time Montreal gets to the podium. Quinn's a bit of a reach, and I believe Mercer to be the better player (personally, there was a bit of zooming from Rossi). Regardless of who the better player is, RW is not an area of dire need for the Canadiens. Caufield, Ylonen, and potentially Suzuki (if a #1C is picked next year) have that position pretty well covered. The exception to this is Holtz, but like Drysdale, I'm expecting him to be gone within the top 5.

My opinion is that Montreal really wants something dynamic for their left wing at this draft: Pitlick, Fonstad, and Harvey-Pinard don't offer a lot in terms of immediate top-six potential, and who knows how much longer Domi and Drouin will continue to be employed by the Canadiens. To me, the Habs pick is going to come down to Raymond, Rossi, and Perfetti, in that order. I don't think any of the three men should expect to be in the NHL next season, and would be very curious as to whether or not Rossi would be eligible for the AHL having already played one pro year in Switzerland.

Given what Montreal has in their system and that they currently have the ability to add a top-10 pick to the mix, Montreal's going to be in a pretty good spot in a few years. Exciting times.
GMs and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 5, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: papishark

Cayden Primeau VS Yaroslav Askarov just to relive the thing between Carey Price VS Jaroslav Halak

The funny part is that the Habs drafted Carey Price despite having Jose Theodore who was coming off Vezina/Hart season.
GMs, papishark and Isles777 liked this.
Apr. 5, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
With Cayden Primeau in their system and Price going to be a member of the Canadiens until the heat death of the universe, this is highly unlikely.

Suzuki taking a step forward, as well as Kotkaniemi, Poehling, and Hillis taking their time to develop is probably going to reduce Montreal's priority in taking a center that won't at least be a home-run #1C in the NHL. I think there's a chance Lundell could be such a player, but Kotkaniemi and Suzuki can provide a strong one-two punch for Montreal provided that management is patient with them and insulates them properly. If Montreal continues to slide and they're presented with a top pick next season, I think they'll find their franchise pivot at the 2021 draft instead.

Montreal is a touch weak on the right side of their blueline due to the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Juulsen, but this draft is not very strong for high-end defencemen. Drysdale is also very, very likely to be a top-5 pick and will be off the board by the time Montreal gets to the podium. Quinn's a bit of a reach, and I believe Mercer to be the better player (personally, there was a bit of zooming from Rossi). Regardless of who the better player is, RW is not an area of dire need for the Canadiens. Caufield, Ylonen, and potentially Suzuki (if a #1C is picked next year) have that position pretty well covered. The exception to this is Holtz, but like Drysdale, I'm expecting him to be gone within the top 5.

My opinion is that Montreal really wants something dynamic for their left wing at this draft: Pitlick, Fonstad, and Harvey-Pinard don't offer a lot in terms of immediate top-six potential, and who knows how much longer Domi and Drouin will continue to be employed by the Canadiens. To me, the Habs pick is going to come down to Raymond, Rossi, and Perfetti, in that order. I don't think any of the three men should expect to be in the NHL next season, and would be very curious as to whether or not Rossi would be eligible for the AHL having already played one pro year in Switzerland.

Given what Montreal has in their system and that they currently have the ability to add a top-10 pick to the mix, Montreal's going to be in a pretty good spot in a few years. Exciting times.

I agree with you, however, I don’t see either Raymond or Rossi dropping to 8. Raymond has more pure talent than Holtz, however I think Holtz is a bit more NHL ready. I don’t see them picking Lundell cause the Habs already have Suzuki and Danault as two way 2cnd center. My mock draft goes like this:

Det Lafrenière
Ott Byfield
Ott Rossi
Lak Drysdale
Ana Stutzle
Nj Raymond
Buf Lundell
Mtl Holtz
Chi Askarov
Nj Quinn

I expect one reach in the top7 (like seider and Hayton in previous draft) so it come down to Holtz, Perfetti, Lundell and maybe Raymond. I think Holtz Raymond Perfetti is who the habs should target. Holtz as sniper would fill our need for finishers with Caufield. Raymond is a really great option, a line of Raymond-Suzuki-Caufield will be deadly. I also love Perfetti but I think he still need one year in the OHL and maybe one in the AHL to be Nhl ready. He has the talent but need to be more physical and need to improve is two-way game and his play without the puck. In the end, all of those 3 are really great pick and have the potential to be elite player.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 5, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
It really depends on what you see in Kotki's future IMO. Suzuki is shaping to to a solid top 6 center, Domi can also be a solid 2C. Danault is a decent 2C and elite 3C. So rhats kind of where it falls. Can Kotki live up to his draft? If yes, get a winger, if no get a center. I would probably not get Lundell though due to his lower offensive ceiling and you already have Danault for that 2-way player

they could still move one of the C to the wing.
Apr. 5, 2020 at 5:43 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

Lafreniere Byfield Stutzle are the top3, after probably Raymond Drysdale Rossi for the top6, that’s leave Perfetti and Holtz for 7-8, so MTL will land the guy who’ll fall to #8. Probably one of Rossi Perfetti Raymond or Holtz. MTL have Drouin Domi ( can play LW ) Lehkonen LW and they will be 25 yo next year, so we might need to draft a LW since the only prospect we have on the LW are Teasdale and Pitlick ( RHP won’t play in the NHL and Fonstad won’t sign an ELC )
Apr. 5, 2020 at 5:45 p.m.
Quoting: EzioUchiha
they could still move one of the C to the wing.

Thats always an option but you are missing my point, if MTL thinks they need to draft a potential top 6 center they should draft one. If they think their center depth is fine they should definitely hope to get Holtz/Raymond
Apr. 5, 2020 at 5:51 p.m.
Rossi
Raymond

Lundell
Holtz

Perfetti
Drysdale

X500000

Quinn
Apr. 5, 2020 at 5:55 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: GMs
Lafreniere Byfield Stutzle are the top3, after probably Raymond Drysdale Rossi for the top6, that’s leave Perfetti and Holtz for 7-8, so MTL will land the guy who’ll fall to #8. Probably one of Rossi Perfetti Raymond or Holtz. MTL have Drouin Domi ( can play LW ) Lehkonen LW and they will be 25 yo next year, so we might need to draft a LW since the only prospect we have on the LW are Teasdale and Pitlick ( RHP won’t play in the NHL and Fonstad won’t sign an ELC )

This is similar to how I see the top ten going, but with Rossi being the one that falls a bit. This is strictly due to me not knowing if Rossi is AHL eligible after next season or not. If Rossi is AHL-eligible, I wholeheartedly have him going 5th to the Ducks and one of Holtz/Raymond falling to the Canadiens. I think Buffalo is locked in on Lundell.

1. DET - Lafreniere
2. OTT - Byfield
3. OTT - Stutzle
4. LAK - Drysdale
5. ANA - Holtz
6. NJD - Raymond
7. BUF - Lundell
8. MON - Rossi
9. CHI - Askarov
10. NJD - Perfetti

With my expectation being that Lafreniere is the only player from the top ten to make the NHL next season, and that all of the European prospects play a full season in Europe and split the next season between Europe, the World Juniors, and the AHL. Byfield will likely play in the NHL after next season, and Askarov is AHL-eligible after his KHL deal expires. Rossi, I think, is forced into playing in the OHL for another season or in the NHL. Neither situation is optimal and I could even see him going back to Europe to play in the NLA to gain experience among men.
Apr. 5, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
Since most mock drafts have Drysdale, Raymond, Rossi and Holtz in the same tier talent wise wouldn't team needs be the biggest factor in that decision?
Apr. 5, 2020 at 7:23 p.m.
25th coming up
Let's not 'say we have the 8th pick'.
Come on!!! We have to believe in the chances of getting the 1st lottery pick
... Maybe then, the hockey gods will repay us.
Apr. 5, 2020 at 7:31 p.m.
Quoting: EzioUchiha
Cayden Primeau VS Yaroslav Askarov just to relive the thing between Carey Price VS Jaroslav Halak

The funny part is that the Habs drafted Carey Price despite having Jose Theodore who was coming off Vezina/Hart season.

those timelines dont add up.
Theodore won the Hart Vezina in 2002, Price was drafted in 2005. Theodore had 2 full seasons after his Hart season before the 2004-05 season which was lost due to lockout. One of those season were a stinker for him with a 2.90 gaa 908 sv%, also he had the loan sharking family incidents in 2004, which probably didnt sit well with the org either
ColonelX liked this.
Apr. 5, 2020 at 10:46 p.m.
Evans truther
Can we just take BPA for once (Like we did with Caufield) and not overthink that at the moment we have a weakness here and there? I do think that Raymond is going to fall on our lap at 8 because his height's comparable to Rossi and Perfetti but he doesn't play center and is the ''lightest'' prospect in the top 20 (168lbs). Wouldn't mind Lundell or even Holloway but who knows who'll be available at 8, some guys will fall as usual so it'll be fun to see!
In the end if we go with how Marc drafted the past two years it'll be heavy LW and RD this year.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 1:08 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
If Habs can't land Lafreniere or Byfield imo they need to pursue Drysdale, either picking him with their own pick or trading for him.

I'm not sold on a lot of the forwards after the top 2, sure there might be a star player among them, but it isn't crystal clear who though imo. Drysdale looks to be the safest bet (in a good way) to getting an Elite player that can be a top pairing Dman. He fits a team need as well, RD depth be damned.. by the time Drysdale would be ready for top pairing responsibilities, Weber and Petry will be gone or just considered depth guys, and Habs could always move some of their younger RD guys for a LD.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 1:52 a.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
If Habs can't land Lafreniere or Byfield imo they need to pursue Drysdale, either picking him with their own pick or trading for him.

I'm not sold on a lot of the forwards after the top 2, sure there might be a star player among them, but it isn't crystal clear who though imo. Drysdale looks to be the safest bet (in a good way) to getting an Elite player that can be a top pairing Dman. He fits a team need as well, RD depth be damned.. by the time Drysdale would be ready for top pairing responsibilities, Weber and Petry will be gone or just considered depth guys, and Habs could always move some of their younger RD guys for a LD.

You couldnt have said it better honestly. This is exactly why Drysdale is first on my post. RD IS a need when you think the two best player at this position are over 32. Only Fleury and Juulsen are worthy prospects at RD and even if I like them, both have limited potential.

Like you said, Raymond, Holtz, Rossi, Lundell, Perfetti, Quinn all have some incredible upside and they can all be great players but lets face it, we'll see that probably half of them will have success in the NHL in four years, like in every draft. This is why I would really try to go up in the draft to get him. I would target San Jose's pick (probably the 5th) and if he goes 4 then so be it we just take the best foward available. What would be the price from going 8th to 5th you think (considering OTT is super sold on Drysdale too for example).
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll