Forums/Armchair-GM

Back to the Well

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 6, 2020
Published: Apr. 6, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't want to trade Dylan Strome. Tbh, he's one of my favorite players and his turn around in 18-19 was one of my favorite stories of the season. Therefore, I am completely biased on the subject. However, considering that the two parties look like they are growing close to a split, here is a trade proposal I came up with.

I *do not* particularly like this trade. Considering Strome's potential and what he's shown he can be (both last season and this season), I think he's worth a lot more than what this suggests. However, when I look at the moves the Hawks have made over the last 18 months, this fits perfectly in line with how theyve conducted their business. Trading Schmaltz and Jokiharju for Strome+ and Nylander were completely based almost solely on the potential that the new acquistions had shown at lower levels of the game. For whatever reason, the front office loves to roll the dice and take a shot at the jackpot when the existing asset is already pretty damn good. So let me try to spin this deal in a positive light.

Mittelstadt has had a rough go since arriving in the NHL. He was also thrown to the wolves by a Buffalo team desperate for center depth. While it's tough see #1 center potential in Mittelstadt anymore, there's still a really skilled offensive talent there, much like there was/is with Nylander, perhaps with more offensive upside than Strome. I think utilizing Mittelstadt with two stingy vets like Smith and Carpenter could help his two way game, kinda like it has with Nylander.

Lawrence Pilut, on the other hand, had a great rookie season with the Sabres. Strong CF% and xGF numbers and formed a productive duo with Rasmus Ristolainen (!) as the rest of Buffalo's season went down the drain. He was hurt this year and didn't contribute much when he returned, but being 24, he's likely close to being capable of stepping into a team's top 4 as soon as he's healthy. Maybe his strong defensive play would mesh well with Adam Boqvist's offensive ability.

I'm not saying I'm in love with this deal (actually I am kinda in love with Pilut if he can get back to his rookie form), but I'm trying to look at this situation through the eyes of the Blackhawks front office, based on previous transactions. Perhaps it is a little counterproductive to trade a potential 2nd line center for another at-best 2nd line center, but from an on-ice value standpoint, I don't really look at either Mittelstadt or Pilut as a "centerpiece" of any deal (if that makes any sense). With this, the Blackhawks essentially get a reset on the Nick Schmaltz trade. Whether or not they need one, is your own opinion and will probably color your feelings on this deal.

Also I know the third line doesn't look good and there's a lot of cap space left. I thought for a long time about how to fix both of those problems and couldn't think of any good solutions. Let me know if you have any ideas
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,750,000
1$750,000
2$1,130,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Mittelstadt, Casey [RFA Rights]
  2. Pilut, Lawrence [RFA Rights]
BUF
  1. Strome, Dylan [RFA Rights]
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$66,749,431$1,090,244$4,200,000$14,750,569
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,130,000$1,130,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 6, 2020 at 7:11 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Apr. 6, 2020 at 7:16 p.m.
Hopefully Ian Mitchell signs before this trade. I just worry about him going back. He's too good a prospect to lose. I 100% agree with wanting to keep Strome. He just needs to make a decision. Go to another team and risk purgatory like AZ had him in...or play with a guy you KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT you can play well with. Have a SOLID career and make slightly less money...maybe...which ironically could mean that you go further in the playoffs because the hawks can roll 3-lines with ZERO worries.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: exo2769
Hopefully Ian Mitchell signs before this trade. I just worry about him going back. He's too good a prospect to lose. I 100% agree with wanting to keep Strome. He just needs to make a decision. Go to another team and risk purgatory like AZ had him in...or play with a guy you KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT you can play well with. Have a SOLID career and make slightly less money...maybe...which ironically could mean that you go further in the playoffs because the hawks can roll 3-lines with ZERO worries.

Totally meant to sign Mitchell but forgot lol. I think they're trying to do some thing where if they sign him once the offseason has officially begun they don't burn a year on the contract. Could be wrong, but that's what someone suggested to me.

I just can't help but feel like this is another situation they (coaching or management idk) totally ruined. I saw your comment on another post and you brought up how he was randomly playing wing earlier this year. Still have no idea why that had to happen. They kept separating him from DeBrincat for some reason and now he's finally playing well with Kane and they want him out. Not sure what's going here
Apr. 6, 2020 at 7:36 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Totally meant to sign Mitchell but forgot lol. I think they're trying to do some thing where if they sign him once the offseason has officially begun they don't burn a year on the contract. Could be wrong, but that's what someone suggested to me.

I just can't help but feel like this is another situation they (coaching or management idk) totally ruined. I saw your comment on another post and you brought up how he was randomly playing wing earlier this year. Still have no idea why that had to happen. They kept separating him from DeBrincat for some reason and now he's finally playing well with Kane and they want him out. Not sure what's going here

I have a theory as to why they did that, but who knows if it's true or not. My theory is that once Dach proved he was capable at the NHL level...they started to move him around for this moment. They separated the two because they needed to see how he'd play away from Debrincat. Debrincat was just as successful away from Strome as he was with Strome...so that's why he got his deal. Strome has NOT had the same success away from Debrincat.

So, now Bowman's stuck, BUT it's not "up in the air" The direction is fairly clear.

He knows Strome isn't worth #2C money...(to the Hawks anyway and for this upcoming year)... He also knows the Hawks are MUCH better off keeping him. So it's sitting down with the kid/agent and being 100% blunt. We want to keep you. So far, you've proven that in order to be an elite player worth giving a big contract...you NEED to play with other really good talent. I.E...you're NOT the main reason the line you're on is having success. Debrincat was on lines away from you...he is on the line with you. SO...we're not going to pay you like you're the main reason your line is having success. We can do a 1 year deal and let you prove it. You'll likely be with Debrincat on the 3rd line, but nothing's guaranteed. OR if you want the big contract today, we're going to trade you.

However keep 1 thing in mind. With the Hawks, this certainly won't be your last contract. With another team...….. who knows. You know what it's like to be in purgatory or in a system that doesn't fit you. Maybe taking lower dollars today means you play in the NHL longer and actually make more over your career.

Then see what he says...while also looking at Plan B or Plan C. Stan HAS to play hardball with this kid. Stan took his career out of the graveyard.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Isles7
The only way it makes sense for the hawks to trade strome is if they draft one of lundell/Rossi.

Has dach really surpassed strome on the depth chart already? Strome is a solid 2C.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 8:32 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Isles777
The only way it makes sense for the hawks to trade strome is if they draft one of lundell/Rossi.

Has dach really surpassed strome on the depth chart already? Strome is a solid 2C.

Yes and no. No, I'd say right now Strome is objectively the better player. But longer term, I think Dach will pass Strome and the Hawks don't want to be stuck paying a guy who will be the 3C long term $5 million+. I think that's faulty logic -- some of the better teams in the league have three really solid centers and if they get a CBO this offseason, they don't look totally strapped for cash. And the big one: Toews wont be here forever. They can afford to keep him.

Its also worth understanding Dach's importance to the front office. If Byram and Turcotte break in and tear up the league, its not going to look good on them and it was clear to everyone going into the draft that those guys probably had higher ceilings. But Chicago liked their guy. So unless Strome starts lighting the world on fire (and at this point, it looks like his chance may have come and gone), the organization looks like they will prioritize Dach over him

That's just how I see, I could be totally wrong. But I hope that kinda answers your question.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 8:39 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: exo2769
I have a theory as to why they did that, but who knows if it's true or not. My theory is that once Dach proved he was capable at the NHL level...they started to move him around for this moment. They separated the two because they needed to see how he'd play away from Debrincat. Debrincat was just as successful away from Strome as he was with Strome...so that's why he got his deal. Strome has NOT had the same success away from Debrincat.

So, now Bowman's stuck, BUT it's not "up in the air" The direction is fairly clear.

He knows Strome isn't worth #2C money...(to the Hawks anyway and for this upcoming year)... He also knows the Hawks are MUCH better off keeping him. So it's sitting down with the kid/agent and being 100% blunt. We want to keep you. So far, you've proven that in order to be an elite player worth giving a big contract...you NEED to play with other really good talent. I.E...you're NOT the main reason the line you're on is having success. Debrincat was on lines away from you...he is on the line with you. SO...we're not going to pay you like you're the main reason your line is having success. We can do a 1 year deal and let you prove it. You'll likely be with Debrincat on the 3rd line, but nothing's guaranteed. OR if you want the big contract today, we're going to trade you.

However keep 1 thing in mind. With the Hawks, this certainly won't be your last contract. With another team...….. who knows. You know what it's like to be in purgatory or in a system that doesn't fit you. Maybe taking lower dollars today means you play in the NHL longer and actually make more over your career.

Then see what he says...while also looking at Plan B or Plan C. Stan HAS to play hardball with this kid. Stan took his career out of the graveyard.

I agree with you there. Maybe this is a way of getting leverage? But yeah, they saved him, he doesn't have arbitration rights and its not like teams will line up to OS him. Strome's ask must be pretty high.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 8:42 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Yes and no. No, I'd say right now Strome is objectively the better player. But longer term, I think Dach will pass Strome and the Hawks don't want to be stuck paying a guy who will be the 3C long term $5 million+. I think that's faulty logic -- some of the better teams in the league have three really solid centers and if they get a CBO this offseason, they don't look totally strapped for cash. And the big one: Toews wont be here forever. They can afford to keep him.

Its also worth understanding Dach's importance to the front office. If Byram and Turcotte break in and tear up the league, its not going to look good on them and it was clear to everyone going into the draft that those guys probably had higher ceilings. But Chicago liked their guy. So unless Strome starts lighting the world on fire (and at this point, it looks like his chance may have come and gone), the organization looks like they will prioritize Dach over him

That's just how I see, I could be totally wrong. But I hope that kinda answers your question.

Oh for sure dach will be better player. I think he can definitely be a 1C down the road, maybe not an elite 1C, but a solid one like a PLD type.

Gotcha, so there’s ego involved. I would sign strome to a 3 year 4.5 AAV deal and then lock him up long term (if he earns it) when toews deal expires, but I get what you’re saying.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 8:48 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Isles777
Oh for sure dach will be better player. I think he can definitely be a 1C down the road, maybe not an elite 1C, but a solid one like a PLD type.

Gotcha, so there’s ego involved. I would sign strome to a 3 year 4.5 AAV deal and then lock him up long term (if he earns it) when toews deal expires, but I get what you’re saying.

I like that too, that's what they're doing with Debrincat. Even if they do end up paying Dach a lot of money out of his ELC, its really only one season they have to worry about having a really expensive center core, which I'd totally take if they're all worth it.

I really hope Dach is that good. He's shown a lot of flashes this year, I want it so bad to translate into long term success.
Isles777 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2020 at 9:38 p.m.
Roviet_Sussia
Looking at the state of the franchise, they're going to eventually run out of time to pull off these "like-for-like" trades (Strome/Schmaltz, Jokiharju/Nylander) when Kane and Toews go under. These moves have been lateral (as expected), with CHI not gaining much ground in the standings from season to season. If they end up trading Strome, I hope that it's a one-for-one deal with a proven NHLer that still has more than half the tank full (in terms of "prime years").

The Brodin trade proposal that has been going around makes the most sense for both teams, as long as CHI feel the incoming additions (Mitchell, Barratt, Euro/FAs) and retentions (Kubalik, Caggiula) are good enough to build upon. More defensive logjams issues would arise, but they're going to have that issue as long as their defense is league-worst.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 7, 2020 at 6:05 a.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Roviet_Sussia
Looking at the state of the franchise, they're going to eventually run out of time to pull off these "like-for-like" trades (Strome/Schmaltz, Jokiharju/Nylander) when Kane and Toews go under. These moves have been lateral (as expected), with CHI not gaining much ground in the standings from season to season. If they end up trading Strome, I hope that it's a one-for-one deal with a proven NHLer that still has more than half the tank full (in terms of "prime years").

The Brodin trade proposal that has been going around makes the most sense for both teams, as long as CHI feel the incoming additions (Mitchell, Barratt, Euro/FAs) and retentions (Kubalik, Caggiula) are good enough to build upon. More defensive logjams issues would arise, but they're going to have that issue as long as their defense is league-worst.

I only like the Brodin trade if he comes with a reasonably priced extension, consider he’s a UFA in a year and it’s not like we’re ready to be a contender now. Ideally they’d get another guy in the same age range/contract situation as Strome, but the problem with that is that teams aren’t running around looking to give those guys away.

I totally get what you’re saying, but the other issue with the whole proposal to trade him in the first place is that I don’t know how many good options they really have.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll