Forums/Armchair-GM

CBO- Seabrook

Created by: NicholasM2699
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 8, 2020
Published: Apr. 8, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know all Leafs fans will come with their pitchforks and burning stakes to say this is lopsided, but a second round pick and a signed stay at home D-man would work for them. In order to improve you need to deal from areas of strength. Kapanen or Johnnson need to be moved and I feel like a two time cup winning stay at home D that is young will certainly help their group. Hawks get Strome and Kubalik tied up for the forseeable future and you trust that offensive depth and the raw skill and prospect on the back end will have success and push one another in progression.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,000,000
4$4,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Määttä, Olli
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (PIT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$79,500,000$63,717,039$1,090,244$4,282,500$15,782,961
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333
LD
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:01 p.m.
exo2769
I don't think the issue is value. TOR needs cap more than CHI if there's a CBO. I think it's just that Maatta on a Run and Gun team like TOR and PIT diminishes what Maatta brings. Maatta's a smart defensive Dman that's physical and makes smart plays. He's also slow. I don't think Maatta's a good fit in TOR.
NicholasM2699 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: exo2769
I don't think the issue is value. TOR needs cap more than CHI if there's a CBO. I think it's just that Maatta on a Run and Gun team like TOR and PIT diminishes what Maatta brings. Maatta's a smart defensive Dman that's physical and makes smart plays. He's also slow. I don't think Maatta's a good fit in TOR.

Absolutely this.

But also Kapanen is worth WAAAAY more than that.
This trade is somewhat equivalent to offering Zaitsev and a 2nd for Debrincat.
So NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANKYOU
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
DaBus
Quoting: Random2152
Absolutely this.

DeBrincat is way better than Kapanen. Kapanen is your third best RW. While I think Maatta and a 2nd won't cut it, I do not think he has insane value. A 2nd rounder and a B or better prospect should get it done.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: DaBus
DeBrincat is way better than Kapanen. Kapanen is your third best RW. While I think Maatta and a 2nd won't cut it, I do not think he has insane value. A 2nd rounder and a B or better prospect should get it done.

It was a rough comparison off the top of my head. Maatta is prolly a touch better than Zaitsev and his contract certainly is and Debrincat is better than Kapanen. The point being made is that in no world is the proposed trade even remotely fair.

Also Malkin is the 2nd best centre on his team, doesn't mean he isn't better than many 1C's. Likewise Kapanen may be the 3rd best RW on the Leafs but he is in the top 6 on almost any other team. People always seem to forget that the Leafs have the best 1-12 in the league when they make statements like "Kap or Mango are 3rd liners"

And as for your proposal - you are still way short. Kapanen is quite good. Try a 1st and a B+ near NHL ready prospect value wise and much more considering there is no reason for the Leafs to move him and that package doesn't make sense for the Leafs to do.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
Absolutely this.

See I think this may be some Leaf's bias. The Cat has a 40 goal campaign under his belt. Kapanen isn't close to that despite his speed and playmaking. I think Maata may have been the wrong piece but a defensman of that style and a 2nd rd pick should be more than enough to get that done.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: NicholasM2699
See I think this may be some Leaf's bias. The Cat has a 40 goal campaign under his belt. Kapanen isn't close to that despite his speed and playmaking. I think Maata may have been the wrong piece but a defensman of that style and a 2nd rd pick should be more than enough to get that done.

See this:
And also no. Your proposal doesn't get it done.
It was a rough comparison off the top of my head. Maatta is prolly a touch better than Zaitsev and his contract certainly is and Debrincat is better than Kapanen. The point being made is that in no world is the proposed trade even remotely fair.

Also Malkin is the 2nd best centre on his team, doesn't mean he isn't better than many 1C's. Likewise Kapanen may be the 3rd best RW on the Leafs but he is in the top 6 on almost any other team. People always seem to forget that the Leafs have the best 1-12 in the league when they make statements like "Kap or Mango are 3rd liners"

And as for your proposal - you are still way short. Kapanen is quite good. Try a 1st and a B+ near NHL ready prospect value wise and much more considering there is no reason for the Leafs to move him and that package doesn't make sense for the Leafs to do.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:26 p.m.
See this:
And also no. Your proposal doesn't get it done.

The depth comparison and where Kap fits in your line-up I agree with. BUt this is an offseason move, not a deadline move. THere is no way you get a first unless it is from a potential cup favorite that has a late first round pick.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:33 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
The depth comparison and where Kap fits in your line-up I agree with. BUt this is an offseason move, not a deadline move. THere is no way you get a first unless it is from a potential cup favorite that has a late first round pick.

I am obviously not saying a top 10 pick, but 16-25 seems reasonable
Apr. 8, 2020 at 3:43 p.m.
Absolutely this.

Debrincat is way better that is not even close to a good comparison. Kapanen has 36 points in 69 Games. His projection if we looked at it from this point of view would be a 15 Goal Scorer. Maatta a stay-at-home Defenseman who has done really solid, and a 2nd Round pick is MORE than enough for Kapanen, but that is not to say that it is the right trade to make because Olli Maatta doesn’t exactly fit the Toronto mold they need. But to even put that as a comparison is beyond me.
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 4:21 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Leafs don't need a LHD. Now exchange Murphy for Kapanen then the Leaf will do that deal, but Hawks won't. If there is a compliant buyout the Leafs need to shed cap by buying out let's say Johnsson, not buying another team buyout.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 7:27 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Debrincat is way better that is not even close to a good comparison. Kapanen has 36 points in 69 Games. His projection if we looked at it from this point of view would be a 15 Goal Scorer. Maatta a stay-at-home Defenseman who has done really solid, and a 2nd Round pick is MORE than enough for Kapanen, but that is not to say that it is the right trade to make because Olli Maatta doesn’t exactly fit the Toronto mold they need. But to even put that as a comparison is beyond me.

I wish you'd have read my follow up as I explain that I don't think Kappy is better than debrincat.

That being said no, this package is still nowhere near enough for Kappy
Apr. 8, 2020 at 8:44 p.m.
I wish you'd have read my follow up as I explain that I don't think Kappy is better than debrincat.

That being said no, this package is still nowhere near enough for Kappy

It does meet what Kapanen is worth a 40-50 point player for a Top 4 D and a 2nd Round pick in a stacked draft is more than plenty.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 9:56 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
It does meet what Kapanen is worth a 40-50 point player for a Top 4 D and a 2nd Round pick in a stacked draft is more than plenty.

Maatta isn't particularly good. He isn't a top 4 dman and a 2jd round pick is pretty meh when compared to Kappy.
Why do people always forget that Kapanen's on the 3rd line (and therefore not getting the minutes needed to post huge totals) because of the Leafs depth?
I mean How do you think Dallas fans would react to Maatta and a 2nd for Gurianov? He is only a 3rd liner posting 30 points. They'd laugh you out of the room.
Apr. 9, 2020 at 3:05 a.m.
Maatta isn't particularly good. He isn't a top 4 dman and a 2jd round pick is pretty meh when compared to Kappy.
Why do people always forget that Kapanen's on the 3rd line (and therefore not getting the minutes needed to post huge totals) because of the Leafs depth?
I mean How do you think Dallas fans would react to Maatta and a 2nd for Gurianov? He is only a 3rd liner posting 30 points. They'd laugh you out of the room.

Maybe he is on the third line because he’s not good enough for a higher role....and Gurianov is younger Kapanen has had plenty of chances Gurianov just got to the NHL not to long ago on a cap friendly contract ELC, and might I suggest Kapanen is older and has played to the full potential he has shown and might I add as the league is in this era the age of the “Prime” of a player is around 23-25 which suggests Kapanen has reached his full potential, and on a 3.2M contract for the next 3 years. You are suggesting that he is worth more, we have had this discussion with Nylander, Marner, Liljegren, Sandin, Matthews, and it has come all the way around to Kapanen, I might as well just leave because there is no way in changing the mind of a Maple Leaf homer. I might suggest otherwise with other people, but your reputation proceeds you, and mine as well start talking to the wall about the situation rather than you at this very point in time, now without further ado I bid you farewell, and stay safe in quarantine, nice conversation, but I will not further an argument that is pointless, and dumbingly baffling.
Apr. 9, 2020 at 8:58 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited Apr. 9, 2020 at 9:03 a.m.
Maybe he is on the third line because he’s not good enough for a higher role....and Gurianov is younger Kapanen has had plenty of chances Gurianov just got to the NHL not to long ago on a cap friendly contract ELC, and might I suggest Kapanen is older and has played to the full potential he has shown and might I add as the league is in this era the age of the “Prime” of a player is around 23-25 which suggests Kapanen has reached his full potential, and on a 3.2M contract for the next 3 years. You are suggesting that he is worth more, we have had this discussion with Nylander, Marner, Liljegren, Sandin, Matthews, and it has come all the way around to Kapanen, I might as well just leave because there is no way in changing the mind of a Maple Leaf homer. I might suggest otherwise with other people, but your reputation proceeds you, and mine as well start talking to the wall about the situation rather than you at this very point in time, now without further ado I bid you farewell, and stay safe in quarantine, nice conversation, but I will not further an argument that is pointless, and dumbingly baffling.

I absolutely love how not thinking that trading the leafs players for pennies in the dollar makes me a leafs homer in your opinion. Absolutely amazing.

Well then I guess if you think trading Dunn for ****ing Marincin and a 2nd is and then you're a homer too.
Your reputation proceeds you blues homer.

What a ridiculous statement. You should be embarrassed that you wrote this.
Apr. 9, 2020 at 11:08 a.m.
I absolutely love how not thinking that trading the leafs players for pennies in the dollar makes me a leafs homer in your opinion. Absolutely amazing.

Well then I guess if you think trading Dunn for ****ing Marincin and a 2nd is and then you're a homer too.
Your reputation proceeds you blues homer.

What a ridiculous statement. You should be embarrassed that you wrote this.

I just know by Kapanen stats is that you are overrating him, and Marincin isn't as good as Maatta plays on defense. Take your "Matthews definitely equal to McDavid" self out of here seriously. I'll do you a favor and show you how go onto your Nylander picture press on it and there should be a logout at the bottom.
Apr. 9, 2020 at 11:32 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I just know by Kapanen stats is that you are overrating him, and Marincin isn't as good as Maatta plays on defense. Take your "Matthews definitely equal to McDavid" self out of here seriously. I'll do you a favor and show you how go onto your Nylander picture press on it and there should be a logout at the bottom.

Wait. When did I ever say mats is equal to McDavid?
And you didn't need to tell me the only thing you know about kapanen is his box stats. Your opinion in him makes that evident.

Jesus dude you're building a massive strawman here. I think you should prolly logout for the day considering. Wait till the Bs wears off
Apr. 9, 2020 at 1:19 p.m.
Wait. When did I ever say mats is equal to McDavid?
And you didn't need to tell me the only thing you know about kapanen is his box stats. Your opinion in him makes that evident.

Jesus dude you're building a massive strawman here. I think you should prolly logout for the day considering. Wait till the Bs wears off

That's exactly what you would say because that's the type of stuff you are doing lol. You are saying Kapanen is worth this for all we know you are probably under the thoughts Kapanen is better than Aho, or Tarasenko, or Marchand because that's just the type of stuff you have done over the past year and a half that I have talked to you. You have only ever overvalued Toronto fans which is a given I slightly do it with the Blues, but I don't go overboard with it like you have, I mean seriously come on dude. I'm not being a strawman it's the same exact topic just making you realize that that is what you are heading towards saying with everything you say here dude. Kapanen had almost 40 points this season. He has limited minutes because last time I checked when he had a higher role he didn't do anything with it. So why don't you just give it a rest already dude. I'm tired of people on capfriendly who have their only point of view try to push it off on everyone else just because their fandom is way beyond hockey logic. I've done it in the past, and I have decided I'm not going to do that. I'm done arguing with someone who doesn't want to rationalize Toronto only want to inflate the skill with arguments that have no statistical or any type of proof for that matter to back it up. Until you can show me some type of proof that isn't coming straight from your asshole. I again bid you a farewell.
Apr. 9, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
That's exactly what you would say because that's the type of stuff you are doing lol. You are saying Kapanen is worth this for all we know you are probably under the thoughts Kapanen is better than Aho, or Tarasenko, or Marchand because that's just the type of stuff you have done over the past year and a half that I have talked to you. You have only ever overvalued Toronto fans which is a given I slightly do it with the Blues, but I don't go overboard with it like you have, I mean seriously come on dude. I'm not being a strawman it's the same exact topic just making you realize that that is what you are heading towards saying with everything you say here dude. Kapanen had almost 40 points this season. He has limited minutes because last time I checked when he had a higher role he didn't do anything with it. So why don't you just give it a rest already dude. I'm tired of people on capfriendly who have their only point of view try to push it off on everyone else just because their fandom is way beyond hockey logic. I've done it in the past, and I have decided I'm not going to do that. I'm done arguing with someone who doesn't want to rationalize Toronto only want to inflate the skill with arguments that have no statistical or any type of proof for that matter to back it up. Until you can show me some type of proof that isn't coming straight from your asshole. I again bid you a farewell.

To second this, Kap and Johnsson were playing on Matthews wings in the playoffs last year. That's top six minutes. Keefe shows up, and now he is not getting his opportunity? THat doesnt seem to make sense. Now the argument about the skill set of Maata not being a fit, that's valid. I can see your point. But to say a good D-man that can certainly be a four or a three on the leafs plus a second rd pick isn't fair value is severe fan bias.
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Apr. 9, 2020 at 2:01 p.m.
To second this, Kap and Johnsson were playing on Matthews wings in the playoffs last year. That's top six minutes. Keefe shows up, and now he is not getting his opportunity? THat doesnt seem to make sense. Now the argument about the skill set of Maata not being a fit, that's valid. I can see your point. But to say a good D-man that can certainly be a four or a three on the leafs plus a second rd pick isn't fair value is severe fan bias.

Maatta might not fit, but I feel Toronto needs to adapt to play defense for Toronto they desperately need it. He might not be a "fit" but I think Toronto should try and make it work.
Apr. 9, 2020 at 2:07 p.m.
Maatta might not fit, but I feel Toronto needs to adapt to play defense for Toronto they desperately need it. He might not be a "fit" but I think Toronto should try and make it work.

Agreed, the system IMO is what is failing this team. They fail to roll out a system that allows them to defend then attack. Guys like a Maata or a Murphy would definitely benefit them if they were to make some systematic changes, but they fail to and that's why these moves don't always pan out!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll