Forums/Armchair-GM

Question from Sabres fan

Created by: sabertooth12
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 8, 2020
Published: Apr. 8, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't know enough about the Wild's situation, but looking at their roster and latest moves, it looks like they are trending towards investing in futures. That being said, I feel like Brodin and Staal's values cannot be that high because they are 1 year away from being UFA's. I know the Wild are dying for a core piece 1/2C, but I honestly don't think Brodin or Staal could fetch that on the market. Would the Wild even consider trading them for future 1sts and prospects? If so, the Sabres would be all over it. I also think the Wild would have to add more if they want Mittelstadt, the Sabres still have a lot of faith in him. I think this trade is a win-win for both sides, but I'm not sure if the Wild are going into a rebuild or a retool. They aren't going to be getting a Franchise 1C like they need unless they tank a year or Ek and Boldy (who I thought was more of a winger?) defy the odds and become elite. I think there is a lot of value in investing these two players in futures instead of letting them walk for nothing. Let me know your thoughts, thanks
Trades
MIN
  1. Asplund, Rasmus
  2. McCabe, Jake
  3. Samuelsson, Mattias [RFA Rights]
  4. 2021 1st round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
1st round pick (Lottery protected-becomes 2nd round pick if Brodin does not resign), 32nd overall pick LD, 33rd overall pick C/LW, solid 3rd pairing LD in his prime on a fair contract. As a Sabres fan, I think this is an overpay for two UFA's, but seeing all these trades like Brodin for Domi and such, it seems as Brodin's value might be higher than I thought.
BUF
  1. Brodin, Jonas
  2. Staal, Eric
Additional Details:
For the Sabres, Brodin is long term insurance policy behind Dahlin, who can learn from him. Staal takes up 2C and reconnects his chemistry with Skinner and they both help Cozens along
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$69,231,924$0$1,157,500$12,268,076
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$845,000$845,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 8, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I think that your trade is well thought out and right on value in isolation, but with Koivu on the verge of retirement and Rask no better than a #3C, the trade leaves Minnesota without a #1C OR a #2C.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 5:08 p.m.
GloryDaysAreBack
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think that your trade is well thought out and right on value in isolation, but with Koivu on the verge of retirement and Rask no better than a #3C, the trade leaves Minnesota without a #1C OR a #2C.

Minnesota could solve that in UFA, they can pull UFAs when they have to (Parise, Suter, Zucc, Vanek, etc) and also Johansson could be part of going the other way, maybe in place of Samuelsson or Asplund gets replaced with a slightly less potential prospect like Pekar? I don't know how burnt that bridge is but Granlund would be a great piece to pick up in UFA. He was the only Wild member I couldn't dislike.
OldNYIfan and sabertooth12 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 5:23 p.m.
14m in dead cap
The issue with your logic is that you mention the Wild lose Brodin for nothing, yet somehow he's a long-term insurance policy for the Sabres like the Wild are incapable of extending him? If anything, Brodin could end up being a useful player for Guerin to maneuver the expansion draft with. Let his contract expire that summer with a handshake agreement to sign him as a UFA. Having a top 4 defenseman you don't need to protect is a good thing if Guerin can get Brodin to agree and the cap hit to keep him is something they can live with.

Quoting: BlastnyFromThePastny
Minnesota could solve that in UFA, they can pull UFAs when they have to (Parise, Suter, Zucc, Vanek, etc) and also Johansson could be part of going the other way, maybe in place of Samuelsson or Asplund gets replaced with a slightly less potential prospect like Pekar? I don't know how burnt that bridge is but Granlund would be a great piece to pick up in UFA. He was the only Wild member I couldn't dislike.

The issue is Granlund isn't a center and hasn't been for years. If they need to go back to past centers they've used, I'd rather they try to get Haula if they can't figure something else out.
OutCold13 and MNBassman liked this.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 5:27 p.m.
GloryDaysAreBack
Quoting: JayTea

The issue is Granlund isn't a center and hasn't been for years. If they need to go back to past centers they've used, I'd rather they try to get Haula if they can't figure something else out.

Oh I see, also wasn't Haula feeling burned by the Hanzal trade going down and watching his ice time go down? Mind you same logic with Granlund I suppose in terms of who knows how burnt that bridge is. I guess there aren't really any centres out there this UFA.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 5:31 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Oh I see, also wasn't Haula feeling burned by the Hanzal trade going down and watching his ice time go down? Mind you same logic with Granlund I suppose in terms of who knows how burnt that bridge is. I guess there aren't really any centres out there this UFA.

I think Haula was ready for a change of scenery, but who knows how he'd feel with a new coach and GM running things. You're right though, the UFA center market doesn't really do much for a team needing a top 6 center.
OutCold13 liked this.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan

I think Johansson going the other way would work, or Galch can probably perform at 1/2C with good wingers like Fiala/Kaprizov
Apr. 8, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
Quoting: JayTea
The issue with your logic is that you mention the Wild lose Brodin for nothing, yet somehow he's a long-term insurance policy for the Sabres like the Wild are incapable of extending him? If anything, Brodin could end up being a useful player for Guerin to maneuver the expansion draft with. Let his contract expire that summer with a handshake agreement to sign him as a UFA. Having a top 4 defenseman you don't need to protect is a good thing if Guerin can get Brodin to agree and the cap hit to keep him is something they can live with.

You are right, this entire trade scenario is based on Brodin not wanting to resign or the Wild not wanting to keep him long term. It does seem risky that if Brodin resigns you have $27+ million tied up in a top 4 defense of aging players. Ages in 2022-2023 with all 4 still under contract: Suter (38), Spurgeon (33), Brodin (30), Dumba (28)

Apr. 8, 2020 at 8:13 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
I think Wild go in with JEEK as the 2c. I think Wild are thinking more retool not rebuild.
Honestly Wild number 1 area of concern has to be goaltending, if you look at most stats and metrics, if it wasn't for terrible goaltending Wild would have been closer to a top 10 team.
Like @JayTea said I fully expect Wild to re-sign Brodin but unless Dumba is moved for a center I think it would be a handshake agreement until after the expansion draft.
I think Wild will continue to move along Staal as 1c but I think he wears down alot because he is old and would be better suited to a reduced roll, so I gotta believe if Wild were offered a guy who they thought could develop into a 1c then I think they would move Dumba or Brodin, because like you said they won't likely be getting a current top 6 center.
Finally it's a good offer but I don't think the Wild would except it. Also I don't think Wild would be interested in Samuelsson, he just plays a different style than the other Wild defenseman, from my understanding. Wild like defenseman who play more of a positional game rather than a physical one.
Apr. 8, 2020 at 8:27 p.m.
MN will be looking to compete next season. So trading Brodin and Staal for futures makes no sense for them; it'll be giving up on the season before it even starts. Waiting until the TDL and depending where they are at in the standings will determine if they are traded as rentals or kept for the rest of the season for the Playoffs.
Apr. 9, 2020 at 9:29 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: sabertooth12
You are right, this entire trade scenario is based on Brodin not wanting to resign or the Wild not wanting to keep him long term. It does seem risky that if Brodin resigns you have $27+ million tied up in a top 4 defense of aging players. Ages in 2022-2023 with all 4 still under contract: Suter (38), Spurgeon (33), Brodin (30), Dumba (28)

The ship kinda sailed on that when they extended Spurgeon. They do somehow need to figure out a way to turn a defenseman into a center since Soucy looks to be a top 4 player who can play either side.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll