Draft Class: 2020
Created By: Leemer
Published: Apr. 10, 2020 at 3:11 p.m.
Description
Mostly a Best Available player ranking with comments
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
2Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Size and Power beats the speed of Stutzle
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksLassi Thomson - RD coming, RD Drysdale strikes a great balance for the right side
4Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-LA Gets some speed #1 ranked euro in Central scouting
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-#2 ranked euro - Bigger and better shooter than Raymond
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Over 2 pts per game in the OHL in his 2nd year (was over a point per game in his first year! ) - May pick Sanderson
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Sabres GM doesn't usually pick Cdn. players - LD Sanderson would set the Left side of the Sabres defence for years to come (Rasmus Dahlin is an LD) - alternatively they pick Rossi
8Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-After seeing how Suzuki developed in the OHL, Habs take a proven scorer in Perfetti back to back 37 goal seasons - you can never have enough centres
9Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Hawks have a cap issue and a goalie shortage losing Crawford as a free agent - they pick up the best goaltender in the draft
10Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesAnother playmaker on the wing to compliment Hischier and Hughes - ranked #4 euro skater
11Logo of the Minnesota Wild-A good solid and big centreman where the Wild are a little weak - ranked #3 euro skater
12Logo of the Nashville Predators-Left handed shot where the Wild are a little weak - Holloway lit it up in Alberta Junior and had a little difficulty adjusting to the college game - their scouts have seen plenty of him #12 North american skater by central scouting
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-Ranked #7 for NA by Central Scouting - RW Quinn had a prolific 2nd season in the OHL 52g, 37a on a stacked Ottawa 67\s team despite only 12g, 21a in 61 games the prior yr. Is he a one hit wonder?
14Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Ranked #9 skater in NA by central scouting - this big RD is a nice future compliment to LD Quinn Hughes
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-D is a position of need for the flames - they pick up the BAP LD in big Kaiden Guhle - ranked #8 in NA skaters by central scouting but committed to U of Michigan
16Logo of the New York Rangers-Most draft boards have Zary around here as BAP even though he is only ranked as #15 in NA central scouting - NYR can use a scoring centre who has put up 2 years of over a point per game in the WHL
17Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Poirier - 20 G, 33a in his 2nd yr in the QJHL after 6g, 21a the prior year this big LD as BAP adds depth with the jets upcoming LD of Ville Heinola
18Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersSens after picking up two earlier great first rounders, can afford to swing for the fences with the history of concussions plagued Lapierre who has that high ceiling - alternatively the rangers pick Lapierre with their 2nd first round pick
19Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Most boards have RW Mercer in their top 20 picks - ranked as #10 in NA skaters by central scouting - he has put up consistent points in the QMJHL
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsMost boards have 6ft 1 LW Amirov n their top 20 picks - ranked as #5 in Euro skaters by central scouting - lit up Russian Junior leagues and only just started play in KHL
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina HurricanesA star on the rise 2nd year in WHL this LW put up 42g, 56a in 58g after putting up 16, 23a in 61g the prior year - ranked as #11 in NA skaters by central scouting - Depth beyond Kakko
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-6ft 1, RW burned up the Swedish Jr. leagues the year before and played this year against men with 4g, 9a in 45g after putting up 27g, 19a in 31 junior games the prior year - ranked as #9 in Euro skaters by central scouting - he could get claimed higher
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Prolific Right shot centre - maybe converted to wing 2nd yr in OHL with 39g, 31a in 57g after putting up 30g, 25a in 63 the prior year - ranked as #17 in NA skaters by central scouting
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Big RD who has put up 2 solid seasons in the swedish junior league - ranked as #6 in Euro skaters by central scouting
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsHas put up 2 solid seasons in the QMJHL 29gm 42a in 49g vs 35g, 29a in 64g the prior year so consistent improvement- ranked as #22 in NAskaters by central scouting - most boards have him in top 25
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Flyers have a ton of forwards and only LD Cam York in their pool - they reach for this RD with 2 good seasons in QMJHL and who is ranked as the 16th NA skater by central scouting and on most boards is top 25 despite shortened last season with injuries
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-Only played 1/2 season in OHL with 15g, 10A in 22 games with Hamilton (Kaliyev) - solid in Czech junior leagues - a sleeper who is only ranked as the 28th NA skater by central scouting
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningRising star from OHL with 36g, 44A in 62 games with Barrie- prior season only 10g, 13a in 64g who is only ranked as the 21st NA skater by central scouting - Sharks need centre depth and scoring
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Best available LW - Impressive stats in German Leagues and World Junior - may not be that far behind Stuhzle - Ranked as #7 in Euro skaters by central scouting - lit up Czech Junior leagues
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Best available LW - Impressive stats in German Leagues and World Junior - may not be that far behind Stuhzle - Ranked as #11 in Euro skaters by central scouting
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsSmallish Finn now playing against men 5g, 11a in 52g - Ranked as #10 in Euro skaters by central scouting. Did well in Finnish jr leagues before promotion
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Finnish RD playing against mean in Liiga - just turned 18 in March 1g, 6A in 43 games, #8 Euro skater in Central scouting. 2G, 12A in 45g in junior finnish league
33Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Swedish RD - will turn 18 in July had a good first season in junior league - with good size at 6-4, 5g, 19A in 37 games ranked #14 on Euro skates by central scouting
34Logo of the San Jose Sharks-RW from WHL 2nd year , 25g, 45a in 64g, ranked #19 NA skater by Central scouting - 15g, 24a in 64g in prior year so both consistency and progression
35Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-2nd year in QMJHL with injury shortened season LD pjust turned 18 in March 6g, 30A in 44 games, #32 NA skater in Central scouting. 15G, 21A in 63g in prior year
36Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Big LW 6-4, 205 from Swedish junior elite league 26g, 18a in 39 games, Ranked #13th Euro skater by Central scouting
37Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the New Jersey Devils2nd yr in WHL LW 24g, 136a in 60 games, Ranked #14th NA skater by Central scouting - prior yr - 14g, 21a in 64 so both progression and consistency - turns 18 in August/20
38Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Botterill likes his USA team players - C - Ranked #29th NA skater by Central scouting - 16g, 30a in 47g and good stats for under 17 in prior year
39Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-6 ft 2 - LD 2nd year in OHL, ranked as 27th NA skater - projected as a #3, #4 defenseman from the Soo - OHL. 7g, 30a in 54 games are a moderate improvement from prior year- turns 18 in May/20
40Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksLW 2nd year in WHL, ranked as 26th NA skater - Edm Oil King 23g, 47a in 64 games are a moderate improvement from prior year-
41Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Draft Pick Forfeited20th ranked NA skater by central scouting - committed to U of Mich USHL - late bloomer
42Logo of the Minnesota Wild-23rd ranked NA skater by central scouting - C - 2 years in WHL
43Logo of the Nashville Predators-27th ranked euro skater by central scouting - LD just started playing in KHL with good record in junior MHL - Russian contract like Romanov's may scare some teams
44Logo of the Florida Panthers-24th ranked NA skater by central scouting - committed to Quinnipiac out of USDP
45Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vancouver Canucks30th ranked NA skater LW by central scouting - only played 1/2 season in OHL with Kingston Frontenacs 11g, 22a in 28 games with good size - may be a sleeper pick
46Logo of the Calgary Flames-19th ranked Euro skater LW by central scouting - only played 1 in swedish junior league 15g, 33a in 40 games with good size
47Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York Rangers25th ranked NA skater LD by central scouting - 2nd yr in WHL Moose Jaw - season shortened by a skate blade injury to arm - but had prior year good results and has good size
48Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-16th ranked Euro skater LD by central scouting - now in Men's Liiga - Junior stats show some promise
49Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York Islanders15th ranked Euro skater LD by central scouting - his size at 5 ft 9 my impede him as a D-man, good progression in swedish junior leagues
50Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets31st ranked NA skater RW by central scouting - out of USHL 28g, 30a in 44 games - committed to Northeastern
51Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-42nd ranked NA skater LD by central scouting - large 6 ft 4 - 200lb out of USDP 2g, 10a in 45 games - committed to U of North Dakota
52Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-34th ranked NA skater LW by central scouting - large 2nd yr 6 ft 2 - 200lb out of OHL Windsor 22g, 20a in 62 games - may have regressed vs prior yr
53Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Dallas Stars33rd ranked NA skater C by central scouting - 2nd year with OHL Windsor 15g, 28a in 49 games - turns 18 in May/20
54Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers35th ranked NA skatercRW by central scouting - 3rd year with OHL North Bay 25g, 32a in 60 games - good size 6 ft 4 - 188lbs
55Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights36th ranked NA skater LD by central scouting - in U of Conn. program 2g, 9a in 34 games - good size 6 ft 3 - 207lbs
56Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins40th ranked NA skater LW by central scouting - 23g, 21a in 66 games - with USHL / USDP good Committed to U of Boston, good size 6ft 2 203
57Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-48th ranked NA skater C by central scouting - first year in North America 18g, 31a in 57 games - with Shawinigan in QMJHL
58Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington Capitals12th ranked Euro skater C by central scouting - small 5ft 9 so size may be a hinderance playing in Russian Junior leagues 13g, 25a in 44 games
59Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-21st ranked Euro skater RW / C by central scouting - small 5ft 9 so size may be a hinderance 2nd yr playing in Finnish Junior league 25g, 32a in 48 games
60Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche29th ranked Euro skater RW /LW by central scouting - small 5ft 8 so size may be a hinderance 2nd yr playing in Swedish Junior league 27g, 39a in 66 games and has showed progression
61Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the St. Louis Blues39th ranked NA skater RW by central scouting - 1st yr in OHL on London Knights known for producing good prospects - 23g, 38a in 62 games and has showed progression
62Logo of the Boston Bruins-18th ranked Euro skater LW by central scouting - 2nd highest league in Finland good size 6ft 2 185 lbs 23g, 15a in 36 games one of the youngest prospects turning 18 in Aug/20
Apr. 10, 2020 at 3:45 p.m.
KFTW
Stutzle #3 over Drysdale. And Raymond should be with Perfetti and above Askarov and Sanderson
Leemer liked this.
Apr. 10, 2020 at 4:53 p.m.
Drysdale isn't top 5, let alone top 3.
Leemer and aedoran liked this.
Apr. 10, 2020 at 5:49 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
Quoting: csick
Stutzle #3 over Drysdale. And Raymond should be with Perfetti and above Askarov and Sanderson

Central Scouting ranks Drysdale as their #3 skater in North American rankings (hey they'e not always right - I was considering their order in my draft. It was my opinion following that ranking, that the Sens on getting #2 and #3 picks in the lottery would go Byfield and hedge with Drysdale on Defense. They could then swing for the fences with Hendrix Lapierre at pick #18. If they truly went Best Available player then picking Byfield, then Stutzle and picking up Lapierre really overloads them with a forward top heavy draft. That is another strategy.

As to Sanderson - he is picked #4 now in the NHL Central Scouting rankings and with Botterill's tendencies to pick USA players, my comments justified why I slotted him there.
Raymond could very well be picked by Chicago ahead of Askarov who would fall to New Jersey - Just seemed to me that the hawks have goalie needs (all of theirs are in free agency), and should pick up Askarov. New Jersey already has Cory Schnieder locked up for 2 more years. I realize that Askarov is not an immediate NHL starter. Of all the supposed top 10, there are usually some surprises. NHL central scouting now ranks Raymond as their #4 Euro skater behind even #3 Lundell so that was again a source for my support to lower Raymond.
Apr. 10, 2020 at 5:54 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
Quoting: Claesson4Norris

NHL Central Scouting seems to disagree with you ranking Drysdale as their #3 NA skater. I'm not hung up on Drysdale either but see my reply to csick above as to a line of reasoning. One would think someone in the top 10 will elect to choose defence
Apr. 10, 2020 at 6:12 p.m.
Quoting: Leemer
NHL Central Scouting seems to disagree with you ranking Drysdale as their #3 NA skater. I'm not hung up on Drysdale either but see my reply to csick above as to a line of reasoning. One would think someone in the top 10 will elect to choose defence

There are some good D prospects throughout the draft, but I don't think it's a particularly strong crop at the top of the draft. Drysdale is the best Dman, but he's not a top five talent. It's been so long since we had a draft with no D in the top 5, that I think the Best D has become a top 5 pick by default.
Apr. 10, 2020 at 6:16 p.m.
Five Victory
Maybe the Sens take Drysdale at 4 but I could not pass on Stutzle. We need a winger with speed that can run the half-wall on the powerplay. Brannstrom can run PP2.

Very good mock, I agree with most based on positional need. I like the Hawks picking Askarov with their G situation, I think it's the best fit.
Leemer liked this.
Apr. 10, 2020 at 6:39 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
Quoting: karsonw
Maybe the Sens take Drysdale at 4 but I could not pass on Stutzle. We need a winger with speed that can run the half-wall on the powerplay. Brannstrom can run PP2.
Very good mock, I agree with most based on positional need. I like the Hawks picking Askarov with their G situation, I think it's the best fit.

Thanks for the feedback- If the Sens did go forward heavy with Byfield Stuztle or others, then I could see them at pick 18 selecting a dman like Poirier or Schneider and skipping Lapierre. If I had only one number 1 pick I don’t think I would put all the concussion eggs in one basket by taking a risk on Lapierre - thus I think it’s Sens, Rangers, New Jersey Minny, or the Ducks that take the risk on Lapierre who ev1 says is unlikely to fall to the 2nd round
karsonw liked this.
May 1, 2020 at 11:52 a.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris

He may not be top 3 but I have heard quite a few people that say he is easily better than Byram.
May 1, 2020 at 2:05 p.m.
Quoting: aedoran
He may not be top 3 but I have heard quite a few people that say he is easily better than Byram.

I don't think Byram was a top 5 player in his draft either.
aedoran liked this.
May 1, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
You're right last year almost everybody here was talking about how good Byram was and a lot of them don't think Drysdale any good.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll