Forums/Armchair-GM

Chicago and Nashville trades

Created by: leafs101
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 13, 2020
Published: Apr. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
CHI has boqvist and Mitchell at RHD, no room for Murphy in the top4 anymore, but don't have many young LHD. Strome also will be moved for cheap apparently, so we'll add him into the mix, and flip him for D. Gives them two solid young wingers, an LHD, a first, and someone to fill in at 3 RHD. Probably underpaid Clifford, but I tried to make it up in contract length. Call up Robertson towards end of season if he's ready. tried to help NSH spark their offence, and give it some more youth, while helping the leafs d situation out
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
4$1,000,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
  2. Engvall, Pierre
  3. Holl, Justin
  4. Johnsson, Andreas
  5. 2020 4th round pick (TOR)
  6. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
  7. 2022 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Bonino, Nick ($2,000,000 retained)
  2. Fabbro, Dante
NSH
  1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
Dylan Strome
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,063,116$0$1,250,000$436,884
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 13, 2020 at 12:52 p.m.
Classic case of quantity doesn't equal quality. Murphy and Strome are the best players in that trade that includes 9 pieces moving. Chicago says no way
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
DaBus
Quoting: ChiHawk
Classic case of quantity doesn't equal quality. Murphy and Strome are the best players in that trade that includes 9 pieces moving. Chicago says no way

Chicago says yes imo. Johnsson is a good depth scorer, Engvall is a solid player too. Dermott will help with the left side and Holl is a solid RHD. The first is a nice bonus too
leafs101 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.

Dermott has more value than Murphy. Then the premise of the strome trade is Johnsson and the picks. Holl is to round out Chicago's bottom pairing, and engvall is there as a depth winger just to entice Chicago a bit more.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
Dermott has more value than Murphy. Then the premise of the strome trade is Johnsson and the picks. Holl is to round out Chicago's bottom pairing, and engvall is there as a depth winger just to entice Chicago a bit more.

If Dermott has more value then Murphy, why are you moving him when the Leafs back end is not in a place to move NHL ready dmen?
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: NicholasM2699
If Dermott has more value then Murphy, why are you moving him when the Leafs back end is not in a place to move NHL ready dmen?

I chocked when I read that! lol
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:31 p.m.
NSH passes -- how is the solution to the center logjam in Nashville to trade away their most promising, young (and cost-controlled) defenseman for two more centers?? After this trade, NSH would have Duchene, Johansen, Turris, Strome, Kerfoot, Sissons, and Jarnkrok who are all capable centers (as well as Blackwell and Trenin who played very well down the stretch). And I don't think NSH has the cap to add Kerfoot's $3.5m + $2m retention on Bonino + the rumored $5m-ish that it seems like Strome is gunning for. This trade does not make sense for NSH from either a positional or money standpoint, and doesn't seem like a good idea for the long-term either. Much rather just keep Fabbro and Bonino.
gmgb liked this.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
I chocked when I read that! lol

Leafs fans will legit stretch and expose themselves no matter the cost. tears of joy
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:39 p.m.

because our left side is significantly better than our right side
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
Quoting: villenash
NSH passes -- how is the solution to the center logjam in Nashville to trade away their most promising, young (and cost-controlled) defenseman for two more centers?? After this trade, NSH would have Duchene, Johansen, Turris, Strome, Kerfoot, Sissons, and Jarnkrok who are all capable centers (as well as Blackwell and Trenin who played very well down the stretch). And I don't think NSH has the cap to add Kerfoot's $3.5m + $2m retention on Bonino + the rumored $5m-ish that it seems like Strome is gunning for. This trade does not make sense for NSH from either a positional or money standpoint, and doesn't seem like a good idea for the long-term either. Much rather just keep Fabbro and Bonino.

I can see that. I just have been hearing Johansen trade rumours a lot so I figured if they traded him and didn't get a center back this would give a good second line center option and a 3C who can also be a top 6 winger if needed
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:41 p.m.
because our left side is significantly better than our right side

Idk moving a d-man that young to add one that you deem is less valuable would likely get Dubas crushed in Toronto.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:43 p.m.
Quoting: DaBus
Chicago says yes imo. Johnsson is a good depth scorer, Engvall is a solid player too. Dermott will help with the left side and Holl is a solid RHD. The first is a nice bonus too

Johnson is a depth winger or someone that can fill in as a 3rd player on a top 6 line...key word being "fill in". There are a lot of players like him in the NHL. He's coming off a bad knee injury requiring surgery (knee problems are notoriously bad for hockey players). He had one decent season playing on a line with Matthews and Marner allowing him to put up 20 goals and 43 points. He will also be 26 and costs $3.4M a year. This guy doesn't move the needle.

Engvall has all of 48 games under his belt at the age of 23 and why he came out with a fast start (rookies often do) he fell off hard totaling 8 goals and only 15 points in 48 games. He's a pretty good bottom 6 player but there are plenty of those types of players in the market.

Dermott would have a chance at a 3rd line spot competing against Maatta, Beaudin, Koekko, Carlsson...see the problem there?

Holl is obviously not better then Boqvist, Mitchell, Murphy and I'm not so sure he would be better then Seabrook in a 3rd line role (assuming Seabs is back playing healthy for the first time in the last 2 years).

The 1st round pick will be a late 1st.

Bottom line, Strome and Murphy are hands down the best players in this trade. Quantity doesn't equal quality here. Not saying all 7 assets coming back doesn't equate to close to equal value but I'd easily say no for the same reason a two 2nd picks are not better then 1 1st round pick.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.
Idk moving a d-man that young to add one that you deem is less valuable would likely get Dubas crushed in Toronto.

but the idea would be to flip strome for a better d man
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
Johnson is a depth winger or someone that can fill in as a 3rd player on a top 6 line...key word being "fill in". There are a lot of players like him in the NHL. He's coming off a bad knee injury requiring surgery (knee problems are notoriously bad for hockey players). He had one decent season playing on a line with Matthews and Marner allowing him to put up 20 goals and 43 points. He will also be 26 and costs $3.4M a year. This guy doesn't move the needle.

Engvall has all of 48 games under his belt at the age of 23 and why he came out with a fast start (rookies often do) he fell off hard totaling 8 goals and only 15 points in 48 games. He's a pretty good bottom 6 player but there are plenty of those types of players in the market.

Dermott would have a chance at a 3rd line spot competing against Maatta, Beaudin, Koekko, Carlsson...see the problem there?

Holl is obviously not better then Boqvist, Mitchell, Murphy and I'm not so sure he would be better then Seabrook in a 3rd line role (assuming Seabs is back playing healthy for the first time in the last 2 years).

The 1st round pick will be a late 1st.

Bottom line, Strome and Murphy are hands down the best players in this trade. Quantity doesn't equal quality here. Not saying all 7 assets coming back doesn't equate to close to equal value but I'd easily say no for the same reason a two 2nd picks are not better then 1 1st round pick.

Dermott is literally the best LHD you just mentioned. Holl would be very as a 3rd pairing guy, has been serviceable in the leafs top 4 this year. Johnsson never played with Marner. I see what you're saying but the reports are that storm will go for reasonably cheap, and by that criteria, this isn't a bad package at all. And also depending on how late the first is and how confident your team is in their drafting, in many cases two seconds is better than a first
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
but the idea would be to flip strome for a better d man

Right, but why include Murphy when we could make that move straight up? IF that is what you're saying. THere is certainly a deal that can be made with the Leafs and Hawks. I just don't know this is the one.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
Right, but why include Murphy when we could make that move straight up? IF that is what you're saying. THere is certainly a deal that can be made with the Leafs and Hawks. I just don't know this is the one.

well I included Murphy because the leafs ideally need two top 4 RHD for next year but another move could be made with another team instead. Just tried to fix it all in one
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
Dermott is literally the best LHD you just mentioned. Holl would be very as a 3rd pairing guy, has been serviceable in the leafs top 4 this year. Johnsson never played with Marner. I see what you're saying but the reports are that storm will go for reasonably cheap, and by that criteria, this isn't a bad package at all. And also depending on how late the first is and how confident your team is in their drafting, in many cases two seconds is better than a first

Maybe on Dermott and maybe not, there is reason Dermott is traded in every single AGM on here...he's not that good. Hawks have a logjam of defensive players on the LHD 3rd spot and 3 out of 4 are on cheap contracts so why spend over 2x the price for a player that isn't that much better?

Holl is not serviceable for a team that has Boqvist, Murphy, Mitchell and Seabs on the right side and would be a significant downgrade from Murphy. He's not worth much of anything to the Hawks.

There are no "reports" there is one report from a guy named Friedman....I always take what he says with a grain of salt. He throws a lot out there and a minority of it comes true.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
well I included Murphy because the leafs ideally need two top 4 RHD for next year but another move could be made with another team instead. Just tried to fix it all in one

Would you do Maata and a 3rd for Kapanen? RIght handed D that could play on the 2nd or 3rd pair that is young and has cup experience?
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:57 p.m.
Would you do Maata and a 3rd for Kapanen? RIght handed D that could play on the 2nd or 3rd pair that is young and has cup experience?

no, maata is kinda washed in my opinion at least and makes more than we can afford. Kapanen offers a bit of a gritty game that the leafs can't afford to lose unless its for something really good.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
no, maata is kinda washed in my opinion at least and makes more than we can afford. Kapanen offers a bit of a gritty game that the leafs can't afford to lose unless its for something really good.

He actually was solid for us this year and don't think he is washed. But I see what you're saying about Kap.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
Maybe on Dermott and maybe not, there is reason Dermott is traded in every single AGM on here...he's not that good. Hawks have a logjam of defensive players on the LHD 3rd spot and 3 out of 4 are on cheap contracts so why spend over 2x the price for a player that isn't that much better?

Holl is not serviceable for a team that has Boqvist, Murphy, Mitchell and Seabs on the right side and would be a significant downgrade from Murphy. He's not worth much of anything to the Hawks.

There are no "reports" there is one report from a guy named Friedman....I always take what he says with a grain of salt. He throws a lot out there and a minority of it comes true.

Holl is better than seabrook now. Seabs was brutal this year. Hawks don't need a guy like Murphy on the bottom pairing. The reason Dermott is traded isn't because he sucks, its because we have Rielly, Muzzin, and Sandin on the left side, and only liljegren and holl on the right- two good third pairing guys, but not top 4 material, so naturally, Dermott becomes a bit expendable and is used in packages to acquire RHDs
Apr. 13, 2020 at 2:02 p.m.
He actually was solid for us this year and don't think he is washed. But I see what you're saying about Kap.

yeah I thought maata was better this year but the inconsistency and injury history over the years just doesn't seem appealing enough to garner kapanen, especially at 4M.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 2:06 p.m.
Holl is better than seabrook now. Seabs was brutal this year. Hawks don't need a guy like Murphy on the bottom pairing. The reason Dermott is traded isn't because he sucks, its because we have Rielly, Muzzin, and Sandin on the left side, and only liljegren and holl on the right- two good third pairing guys, but not top 4 material, so naturally, Dermott becomes a bit expendable and is used in packages to acquire RHDs

Murphy wouldn't be on the 3rd pair, it is pretty likely he's on the 2nd pair and Mitchell on the 3rd pairing. Murphy, today not future value, is better then Boqvist and Mitchell...maybe Boqvist and Mitchell will be in the future better (likely) but not today. Seabs has been injured the past two years, hard to say what he will be like after having both hips done but likely you are right that Holl is better then Seabs post correcting the hip problems just based on Seab's age. That said, he's definitely not better then Murphy.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
Fabbro>Strome
Bonino>Kerfoot
$2M cap space>Der-Arguchintsev

And that's before salaries and team needs are factored in. No way NSH does this
Apr. 13, 2020 at 3:52 p.m.
I can see that. I just have been hearing Johansen trade rumours a lot so I figured if they traded him and didn't get a center back this would give a good second line center option and a 3C who can also be a top 6 winger if needed

I don't mind the addition of either player really (although I don't love Strome's rumored contract demands). It's more giving up Fabbro that makes the deal dead in the water.

The only Johansen rumors I've seen are just people on this site making their own trade ideas, so not sure how credible they are. If you have some links to articles or tweets or whatever, I'd be interested to see them as that could really lead into some big changes for NSH going into next season. But I don't feel like Johansen is going anywhere. Bonino and Turris are more likely to move before Johansen most likely. But really, I'd rather just hang onto Bonino and trade him if need be at the 2021 trade deadline. He was a one of the top forwards on the team this past year. Sure, you could sell high, but I think NSH would be worse off if they trade him (depending on the return of course).

I would be fine with NSH going after Kerfoot, but I don't think NSH would doing anything more more than a mid-round/tier pick + prospect.
leafs101 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2020 at 4:27 p.m.
Quoting: villenash
I don't mind the addition of either player really (although I don't love Strome's rumored contract demands). It's more giving up Fabbro that makes the deal dead in the water.

The only Johansen rumors I've seen are just people on this site making their own trade ideas, so not sure how credible they are. If you have some links to articles or tweets or whatever, I'd be interested to see them as that could really lead into some big changes for NSH going into next season. But I don't feel like Johansen is going anywhere. Bonino and Turris are more likely to move before Johansen most likely. But really, I'd rather just hang onto Bonino and trade him if need be at the 2021 trade deadline. He was a one of the top forwards on the team this past year. Sure, you could sell high, but I think NSH would be worse off if they trade him (depending on the return of course).

I would be fine with NSH going after Kerfoot, but I don't think NSH would doing anything more more than a mid-round/tier pick + prospect.

I'd agree. I saw the idea of Toronto going after fabbro elsewhere and liked the idea, but doubted NSH would go for it

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll