Forums/Armchair-GM

John Moores worth

Created by: Silkysmooth42
Team: 2019-20 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 15, 2020
Published: Apr. 15, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There were too many comments on the previous post, so I didnt want to read through them all.

Read everything in the trade, do not argue. If you have a good point (BASED BY FACTS) please say it kindly.
I will ignore you if you are annoying - If i ignore you, it absolutely does NOT mean you are right, it means try again, but nicer, or come back with more facts.

If you are reallllllly pushing his cap, then a 5th will do. BUT NO: he is not worth a 6th or 7th. And he is certainly not a cap dump.
Trades
BOS
  1. 2020 4th round pick (NSH)
Additional Details:
JOHN MOORE IS WORTH A 4th.

Basically, if you look at any 2nd to 3rd dpair guy over the past five years, they are signed to 2-3 million dollars. 2nd liners are closer to 3.5 plus. and 3rd liners are 1-2 million. He IS a solid 2nd to 3rd dpair guy.
You argue: No he isnt, he is a 7th man.
The correct response: Yes he is, ON THE BRUINS who have Chara, Krug, Griz, and Lauzon all also fighting for those 2nd and 3rd pair minutes. This doesnt mean he is less valuable.
YOU Argue: He is worse after injury:
The Correct response: Everyone is worse coming back from injury, With the season cut short and the inconsistant time he had on the team, of COURSE, he wasnt playing terrific, nobody would have in the same spot.

I used to say he is worth a 3rd, but I am rational enough to know that was wrong.

However, if you say he is worth less than a 4th (or even a 5th with good reason) you are wrong. AND if you say he is a CAP DUMP, you might as well give up on ACGM because you dont know a thing about hockey.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$75,768,092$0$2,490,000$5,731,908
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 4
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 2
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RD
UFA - 1
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 15, 2020 at 5:29 p.m.
Some recent trades (back to last season) of Dmen

Erik Gustafsson, Dylan Demelo, Guys like that get a third

Gudbranson got an AHLer and a 7th
Nathan Beaulieu got a 6th

Moore is much closer to the second pair than the first, if you dont pay to move him you get a 5th absolute best case scenario in reality a 6th or 7th even if it upsets you
ZiggyPalffy, OldNYIfan and AGKH123 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 5:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Salzy
Some recent trades (back to last season) of Dmen

Erik Gustafsson, Dylan Demelo, Guys like that get a third

Gudbranson got an AHLer and a 7th
Nathan Beaulieu got a 6th

Moore is much closer to the second pair than the first, if you dont pay to move him you get a 5th absolute best case scenario in reality a 6th or 7th even if it upsets you

John Moore undeniably better than Gustafsson, I like Demelo a little better, but the difference is that they are on more shallow teams. So Yes, he is worth a 4th or 5th thank you.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 5:35 p.m.
I mean, Lou Lamoriello would give up a 4th for him so you arn't 100% wrong.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: bsilk18
John Moore undeniably better than Gustafsson, I like Demelo a little better, but the difference is that they are on more shallow teams. So Yes, he is worth a 4th or 5th thank you.

Bruins are more likely to have to pay to move him than get a 4th, especially if the cap remains flat or only sees a minor bump
AGKH123 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 5:54 p.m.
Moore would get you a 4th from a " bad " or even average GM if he was making $1,75-$2M. Now, he's making $2,75M for three more years and possibly no cap increasing, he will get you a 6th in best-case. That's why I'm okay with a 7th. And picks are important but a 5th/6th/7th, it's only a pick, it's ok if we move Moore for nothing.

Moving his $2,75M+3Y is worth more than the return the Bruins could get. Think about that wink
OldNYIfan, Salzy and AGKH123 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 5:58 p.m.
Banned
Edited Apr. 15, 2020 at 8:16 p.m.

DeMelo is much more capable of playing top 4 minutes than Moore. DeMelo also isn't a 3rd pair guy getting paid 250k shy of 3M for the next 3 years. How hard is it for you guys to understand that teams don't just give up a 4th for a 3rd pair guy with that kind of contract. Are your brains that small? Why isn't he traded already if it were that easy. They didnt need him all season. Let's just say he is worth a 4th without a doubt, what team is going to pay that to acquire him?
OldNYIfan and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:02 p.m.
Banned
See Jack Johnson. Only 600k more annually with 1 more year on his contract than Moore and he's also very capable playing good hockey on the top pair. He won't be moved for a 6th. So what makes you think Moore would fetch a 4th? People like you give Bruins fans a bad name. Unreasonable, stubborn, and incompetent. I can think of 6 other Boston fans on here that act same way.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:03 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: bhavikp27
Moore would get you a 4th from a " bad " or even average GM if he was making $1,75-$2M. Now, he's making $2,75M for three more years and possibly no cap increasing, he will get you a 6th in best-case. That's why I'm okay with a 7th. And picks are important but a 5th/6th/7th, it's only a pick, it's ok if we move Moore for nothing.

Moving his $2,75M+3Y is worth more than the return the Bruins could get. Think about that wink

I didnt know contracts were the only thing that mattered! God, I mean ill take on Marners contract and a 1st for a 7th rounder everyday! Oh wait thats not how it works.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:03 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bf3351
See Jack Johnson. Only 600k more annually with 1 more year on his contract than Moore and he's also very capable playing good hockey on the top pair. He won't be moved for a 6th.

Yup! So John Moore can get a 5th! so thats fair!
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:06 p.m.
Banned
Yup! So John Moore can get a 5th! so thats fair!

Nope
bhavikp27 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
I mean, Lou Lamoriello would give up a 4th for him so you arn't 100% wrong.

Quoting: Bf3351
DeMelo is much more capable of playing top 4 minutes than Moore. DeMelo also isn't a 3rd pair guy getting pair 250k shy of 3M for the next 3 year. How hard is it for you guys to understand that teams don't just give up a 4th for a 3rd pair guy with that kind of contract. Are your brains that small? Why isn't he traded already if it were that easy. They didnt need him all reason. Let's just say he is worth a 4th without a doubt, what team is going to pay that to acquire him?

Here is what you guys need to understand.
Bruins dont need him, so I am perfectly content with sending him somewhere for a 7th rounder. I want to just get rid of him.
But im putting MY PERSONAL FEELINGS ASIDE, and realizing that HIS ACTUALY CURRENT VALUE is a 4th or 5th rounder.

AGAIN: I just want to give him up for anything (6th or 7th), but no reason to lie to ourselves and say he is worth less.
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:10 p.m.
Here is what you guys need to understand.
Bruins dont need him, so I am perfectly content with sending him somewhere for a 7th rounder. I want to just get rid of him.
But im putting MY PERSONAL FEELINGS ASIDE, and realizing that HIS ACTUALY CURRENT VALUE is a 4th or 5th rounder.

AGAIN: I just want to give him up for anything (6th or 7th), but no reason to lie to ourselves and say he is worth less.

well, no. That's his value to a GM who likes older guys who arnt very good because leadergrittship or whatever. To another GM he might not even be worth picking up the phone. He is also not worth that until someone pays that for him. I mean technically Andy Greene, who is aawwwwfuuuuuuul is worth a 2nd rounder because Lou gave up a 2nd rounder to get him.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:13 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
well, no. That's his value to a GM who likes older guys who arnt very good because leadergrittship or whatever. To another GM he might not even be worth picking up the phone. He is also not worth that until someone pays that for him. I mean technically Andy Greene, who is aawwwwfuuuuuuul is worth a 2nd rounder because Lou gave up a 2nd rounder to get him.

Sorry i didnt know 29 was old. Might as well call EVERY player over 29 past their prime!
So im glad i know what im talking about at least, Ill keep that in mind.

But yes, a player, like john moore, who is in his prime and is a solid 2nd - 3rd dpair guy is 1000% worth a 4th or 5th
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:15 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Perhaps if you'd read through all those comments to the earlier thread, you might have found them educational. Personally, the more I read, the more I learn, even if it's only not to trust the opinions of some people.

Moore is a viable bottom-pairing defenseman ON THE ICE. But that is only part of the equation that establishes his trade value. Go ahead, make your case: tell us which team(s) in the Pacific Division, for example, would be willing to ask about him at all? Certainly not Anaheim, with Lindholm, Fowler, Larsson, Guhle and Mahura on that side. Certainly not Arizona, with Ekman-Larsson, Chychrun, Oesterle and Capobianco on that side. Certainly not Calgary, with Giordano, Hanifin, Kylington and Valimaki on that side. Certainly not Edmonton, with Klefbom, Nurse, Jones and Broberg on that side. Certainly not Los Angeles, with Anderson, Bjornfot, Clague and MacDermid on that side, plus the chance of re-signing Hutton. Certainly not Vancouver, with Hughes, Edler, Juolevi and their own John Moore in the form of 2-million-dollar Jordie Benn on that side. And certainly not cap-strapped San Jose or Las Vegas (who have Theodore, McNabb, Hague and Schuldt in any event). My point is that his market is limited by those constraints others are trying to impress upon you: he is paid a lot for someone who fills his position, and he's signed for three more years. That reduces his value from your Platonic ideal of a fourth-rounder to something less.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:17 p.m.
Sorry i didnt know 29 was old. Might as well call EVERY player over 29 past their prime!
So im glad i know what im talking about at least, Ill keep that in mind.

But yes, a player, like john moore, who is in his prime and is a solid 2nd - 3rd dpair guy is 1000% worth a 4th or 5th

as per the aging curve, yes 29 is past prime for defenders. and he's not a 2nd pairing guy, he's a sheltered bottom pairing guy who gets limited icetime vs weak competition and does decent at it.
he's not worth a 4th or a 5th, maybe at the deadline to a team looking for depth, but not right now, not to a gm looking for someone who can fill in on the 2nd pairing or face tough comp
MisstheWhalers and bhavikp27 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:17 p.m.
Wow I can FEEL the desperation of this post through my computer.

Moore is not worth a 4th. Bruins overpaid for a guy who wasn't worth anything close to what they gave him. You're going to be stuck with him because your GM made a foolish decision. Let it go and move on.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 6:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: JerseyDevil26
Wow I can FEEL the desperation of this post through my computer.

Moore is not worth a 4th. Bruins overpaid for a guy who wasn't worth anything close to what they gave him. You're going to be stuck with him because your GM made a foolish decision. Let it go and move on.

And I can sense a little touch of schadenfreude there . . . but justified!
Apr. 15, 2020 at 8:02 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Perhaps if you'd read through all those comments to the earlier thread, you might have found them educational. Personally, the more I read, the more I learn, even if it's only not to trust the opinions of some people.

Moore is a viable bottom-pairing defenseman ON THE ICE. But that is only part of the equation that establishes his trade value. Go ahead, make your case: tell us which team(s) in the Pacific Division, for example, would be willing to ask about him at all? Certainly not Anaheim, with Lindholm, Fowler, Larsson, Guhle and Mahura on that side. Certainly not Arizona, with Ekman-Larsson, Chychrun, Oesterle and Capobianco on that side. Certainly not Calgary, with Giordano, Hanifin, Kylington and Valimaki on that side. Certainly not Edmonton, with Klefbom, Nurse, Jones and Broberg on that side. Certainly not Los Angeles, with Anderson, Bjornfot, Clague and MacDermid on that side, plus the chance of re-signing Hutton. Certainly not Vancouver, with Hughes, Edler, Juolevi and their own John Moore in the form of 2-million-dollar Jordie Benn on that side. And certainly not cap-strapped San Jose or Las Vegas (who have Theodore, McNabb, Hague and Schuldt in any event). My point is that his market is limited by those constraints others are trying to impress upon you: he is paid a lot for someone who fills his position, and he's signed for three more years. That reduces his value from your Platonic ideal of a fourth-rounder to something less.

Totally agree and there's a multitude of solid 3rd pairing LHD available in free agency this summer that will be cheaper then Moore and will take whatever term they're given, just don't see why a team would give any pick for a 3rd pair dman making $2.75M when they could sign one for less $$ and term.
bhavikp27 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 8:08 p.m.
@bsilk18 I know you want to be positive/optimistic as I see during most of your posts/comments but come on, I'm not the only one saying he won't bring back a 4th/5th. The term is the thing that makes it worse. If he was UFA, you could move him at the deadline for that (even there, I wouldn't trade for him) but that's not the case. Also, more teams prefer to play young guys instead. Potential, youth, cap saving by making that.
Apr. 15, 2020 at 11:40 p.m.
Banned

Thank you for listing the 7 teams he wont go to. You are usually pretty spot on. how about the Habs who would love a 2nd to 3rd pair guy that isnt too expensive for his play. Or the panthers or sens who may be coming out of their rebuild after two top 5 picks in this draft and could use a guy like Moore locked up longer term for cheap. All valid options. Come on lol
Apr. 15, 2020 at 11:43 p.m.
Banned
@bsilk18 I know you want to be positive/optimistic as I see during most of your posts/comments but come on, I'm not the only one saying he won't bring back a 4th/5th. The term is the thing that makes it worse. If he was UFA, you could move him at the deadline for that (even there, I wouldn't trade for him) but that's not the case. Also, more teams prefer to play young guys instead. Potential, youth, cap saving by making that.

Listen im not trying to be optimistic, that would be saying that he is still the 2nd line player he was with the Devils and saying he is worth a 2nd or 3rd, im just being realistic here man. He is worth a 4th or 5th. Now I, MYSELF, would trade him for a 6th or 7th becaise i want to get rid of him. But the fact that people are saying he is a cap dump is just plain stupid
Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:24 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Thank you for listing the 7 teams he wont go to. You are usually pretty spot on. how about the Habs who would love a 2nd to 3rd pair guy that isnt too expensive for his play. Or the panthers or sens who may be coming out of their rebuild after two top 5 picks in this draft and could use a guy like Moore locked up longer term for cheap. All valid options. Come on lol

Yes, all valid options, to which I would add four teams from the Central: Dallas (who might want to replace UFA Sekera while Harley works up), Minnesota (soft on the left after their top 3, and Brodin has only one more year left), Nashville, and Winnipeg. But none of them are going to pay a fourth when cheaper alternatives are available in free agency or for a lower draft pick.
Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:36 a.m.
Banned
Yes, all valid options, to which I would add four teams from the Central: Dallas (who might want to replace UFA Sekera while Harley works up), Minnesota (soft on the left after their top 3, and Brodin has only one more year left), Nashville, and Winnipeg. But none of them are going to pay a fourth when cheaper alternatives are available in free agency or for a lower draft pick.

If they can get a 2nd to 3rd dpair guy with that good a cap hit for a 4th of 5th, than sure! But the problem is that people arent realizing that he is a 2nd to 3rd pair guy.
Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:52 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
If they can get a 2nd to 3rd dpair guy with that good a cap hit for a 4th of 5th, than sure! But the problem is that people arent realizing that he is a 2nd to 3rd pair guy.

Well, if you're right, then Boston should have no trouble moving him this summer, and then we'll all see.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll