2$965,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$9,500,000
Trades
TOR
    I’m not gonna debate what Marners return would be, or what team he’d go to. That’s not the point of this post. I’m trying to illustrate a world where leafs sign peiterangelo and address a huge need on RHD
    TOR
      Placeholder
      ANA
        Dermott
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the VGK
        Logo of the VGK
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the CAR
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        23$81,500,000$81,350,116$0$400,000$149,884
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $6,962,366$6,962,366
        RW
        UFA - 4
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $11,640,250$11,640,250
        C
        UFA - 4
        $3,200,000$3,200,000
        RW
        UFA - 2
        $3,400,000$3,400,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 3
        $11,000,000$11,000,000
        C, LW
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $925,000$925,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 3
        $775,000$775,000
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $965,000$965,000
        C
        UFA - 1
        $800,000$800,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        LD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $9,500,000$9,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 7
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $5,625,000$5,625,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $1,650,000$1,650,000
        G
        UFA - 2
        $894,167$894,167
        LD
        UFA - 2
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
        RD
        RFA - 2
        $750,000$750,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $700,000$700,000
        LD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:23 p.m.
        At least i’m gonna credit you for not signing pietrangelo at a ridiculous low contract while trading kerfoot/johnson/kapanen for picks
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:24 p.m.
        That wouldn't really be ideal. Most teams can't take on Marner's cap without sending some back so that doesn't clear as much as you think it will. You also swap one elite player for another. That's what trades are for. If you want to clear cap for an elite UFA, trade your lesser players who are making mediocre money. I'd trade Kerfoot + Kapanen + Johnsson to make room for Petro before trading Marner. Not that he'll sign here anyway.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:33 p.m.
        Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
        That wouldn't really be ideal. Most teams can't take on Marner's cap without sending some back so that doesn't clear as much as you think it will. You also swap one elite player for another. That's what trades are for. If you want to clear cap for an elite UFA, trade your lesser players who are making mediocre money. I'd trade Kerfoot + Kapanen + Johnsson to make room for Petro before trading Marner. Not that he'll sign here anyway.

If there is a CBO, leafs can take back a bad contract and buy him out. Moving Kerfoot + Johnnson + Kap isn’t realistic. The leafs would have too many high value dollar contracts.
        oneX liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
        Quoting: mhockey91
        If there is a CBO, leafs can take back a bad contract and buy him out. Moving Kerfoot + Johnnson + Kap isn’t realistic. The leafs would have too many high value dollar contracts.

This.
        Moving Marner or Nylander is how to sign Pietrangelo. Trading Kerfoot, Johnsson and Kapanen just depletes the depth Leafs currently have.

Is it ideal to trade one of Marner or Nylander? No
        Not even going to entertain the idea of trading Matthews and Tavares' NMC makes one other two the one to move.
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.

And if there is no CBO? It also doesn't makes sense to move a 22 year old elite player so you can sign a 30 year old elite player. There is also no reason that moving those 3 isn't realistic. Personally, I don't think signing Petro is the smartest thing in the world in general, but that would be the way to go about it.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
        Quoting: oneX
        This.
        Moving Marner or Nylander is how to sign Pietrangelo.

It really isn't.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:42 p.m.
        And if there is no CBO? It also doesn't makes sense to move a 22 year old elite player so you can sign a 30 year old elite player. There is also no reason that moving those 3 isn't realistic. Personally, I don't think signing Petro is the smartest thing in the world in general, but that would be the way to go about it.

You’re probably right, But leafs could get a haul for marner plus pieterangelo for free. It won’t happen, but This is the only way it would be possible
        oneX liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:43 p.m.
        It won’t happen, but This is the only way it would be possible

It literally isn't
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:46 p.m.
        It literally isn't

How on earth could the leafs be able to have 3 10+ million contacts, peiterangelo at around 9.5 and nylander at 7?? Especially with Rielly and Anderson up for new deals in the next 2 seasons. MAYBE leafs could pull it off for one season with some ELC guys, but eventually their ELC players will get PAID. Leafs would have 0 cap room for depth. They’d have approx 50 million tied into just 5 players. That just isn’t sustainable with a salary cap.
        oneX liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 5:47 p.m.
        It really isn't.

Well people who think they can keep the three young forwards and add a top tier RHD D are dreaming and not really being realistic about the team's needs.

Let's put aside the fact that roster changes would have to be made to get said top tier RHD D, still gotta pay him too and they don't come cheap.
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 6:03 p.m.
        How on earth could the leafs be able to have 3 10+ million contacts, peiterangelo at around 9.5 and nylander at 7?? Especially with Rielly and Anderson up for new deals in the next 2 seasons. MAYBE leafs could pull it off for one season with some ELC guys, but eventually their ELC players will get PAID. Leafs would have 0 cap room for depth. They’d have approx 50 million tied into just 5 players. That just isn’t sustainable with a salary cap.

I never said concessions wouldn't have to be made. I'm not sitting here saying the roster will stay the same forever and ever through the course of his contract. Some of those concessions are the reason why I don't think it would be entirely beneficial to sign Pietrangelo. But to say that trading Marner is the only way it is possible is just plain incorrect.

As for your elc argument, you do realize that there is a draft and free agency every year. Thus the ability to add guys on cheap contracts continues. The most important thing to have is elite talent, and you cycle lower level guys in and out.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
        I never said concessions wouldn't have to be made. I'm not sitting here saying the roster will stay the same forever and ever through the course of his contract. Some of those concessions are the reason why I don't think it would be entirely beneficial to sign Pietrangelo. But to say that trading Marner is the only way it is possible is just plain incorrect.

As for your elc argument, you do realize that there is a draft and free agency every year. Thus the ability to add guys on cheap contracts continues. The most important thing to have is elite talent, and you cycle lower level guys in and out.

look at the numbers, it doesn't take a genius to figure out Leafs couldnt produce a cup contending team with 5 players making 50 million dollars. They may have star power but they'd have zero depth. They'd lose their #1 goalie, probably Rielly, etc... could they do it? yeah in theory yes they could. would they contend? no, and thats the ultimate goal.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 6:11 p.m.
        Quoting: oneX
        Well people who think they can keep the three young forwards and add a top tier RHD D are dreaming and not really being realistic about the team's needs.

Let's put aside the fact that roster changes would have to be made to get said top tier RHD D, still gotta pay him too and they don't come cheap.

What would say the team needs are?

Yes, the ability to add an elite RHD without trading one of their 3 young forwards is generally unrealistic. You can't often trade for elite talent without giving it up in return. In this situation though (UFA), you can. That is why it is so enticing to a lot of fans. It may not be the best idea, due to his age and likely cost, but considering you can do something that is generally unheard of (add elite talent without giving it up), it's worth thinking about.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 6:19 p.m.
        What would say the team needs are?

Yes, the ability to add an elite RHD without trading one of their 3 young forwards is generally unrealistic. You can't often trade for elite talent without giving it up in return. In this situation though (UFA), you can. That is why it is so enticing to a lot of fans. It may not be the best idea, due to his age and likely cost, but considering you can do something that is generally unheard of (add elite talent without giving it up), it's worth thinking about.

I just dont think you understand how unrealistic adding another 9-10 million dollar contract is without shedding a major salary. If leafs traded Kap, Johnsson, and Kerfoot, thats still less cap than Marner alone, and the return wouldn't be nearly as much as marner. they'd lose 3 important depth pieces. leafs would probably also get a good young ELC in return for Marner as well on top of a bunch of futures. the only way to create a competitive team with signing AP, would be trading one of marner or Nylander. but of course, this isn't likely. as you said Dubas has no interested in trading young elite forwards. so... leafs will not acquire Alex Peiterangelo and wont move Marner or Nylander. a realistic option for them would be MacKenzie Weeger out of Florida
        oneX liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 6:37 p.m.
        I just dont think you understand how unrealistic adding another 9-10 million dollar contract is without shedding a major salary. If leafs traded Kap, Johnsson, and Kerfoot, thats still less cap than Marner alone, and the return wouldn't be nearly as much as marner. they'd lose 3 important depth pieces. leafs would probably also get a good young ELC in return for Marner as well on top of a bunch of futures. the only way to create a competitive team with signing AP, would be trading one of marner or Nylander. but of course, this isn't likely. as you said Dubas has no interested in trading young elite forwards. so... leafs will not acquire Alex Peiterangelo and wont move Marner or Nylander. a realistic option for them would be MacKenzie Weeger out of Florida

I believe Weeger is not the answer as far as top tier RHD D goes. You explained the trading of Marner or Nylander better than I probably did.

Dubas can't be blind to what happens in future years if he goes and Pietrangelo. Adding an ELC contracts is almost necessary in any scenario where a priced player is traded.
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 6:40 p.m.
        leafs will not acquire Alex Peiterangelo and wont move Marner or Nylander. a realistic option for them would be MacKenzie Weeger out of Florida

I agree with all of this. However your claims that they couldn't be a contender are unfounded and unreasonable. Elite players are the most important thing to have, they win you more games than anything else. If you were to have Matthews + Tavares + Marner + Nylander + Pietrangelo + Rielly, you would have one of the best top ends on both Forward and D. Now, would your depth suffer a bit? Yes, but a great top end is far more important than a great bottom end. I can't see a way where the depth would take enough of a hit, to negate this core. Don't forget, as time goes on, other trades are still possible. As I said, concessions would have to be made.

Edit: And let me just say again, adding Petro is probably not the greatest idea and I don't think they should do it. But to do it at the cost of Marner when you could do it otherwise is worse.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 8:11 p.m.
        I agree with all of this. However your claims that they couldn't be a contender are unfounded and unreasonable. Elite players are the most important thing to have, they win you more games than anything else. If you were to have Matthews + Tavares + Marner + Nylander + Pietrangelo + Rielly, you would have one of the best top ends on both Forward and D. Now, would your depth suffer a bit? Yes, but a great top end is far more important than a great bottom end. I can't see a way where the depth would take enough of a hit, to negate this core. Don't forget, as time goes on, other trades are still possible. As I said, concessions would have to be made.

Edit: And let me just say again, adding Petro is probably not the greatest idea and I don't think they should do it. But to do it at the cost of Marner when you could do it otherwise is worse.

Leafs have Anderson up for a new contract in one year, Rielly the year after that. Leafs will have a hard time retaining Freddy without Pieterangelo, with him, hes as good as gone. If Sandin is a good as I think he'll be, he will also be up for a raise in 2 years, same with Liljegren. Hyman is also a pending UFA next season. The amount of "concessions" leafs would have to make in order to have 5 players making 50 million just doesn't seem rational. It would be very difficult for the leafs to build a team with strong enough depth to contend for a cup with that core. A cup run is over 20 games, good depth is CRUCIAL.
        oneX liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 8:42 p.m.
        Leafs have Anderson up for a new contract in one year, Rielly the year after that. Leafs will have a hard time retaining Freddy without Pieterangelo, with him, hes as good as gone. If Sandin is a good as I think he'll be, he will also be up for a raise in 2 years, same with Liljegren. Hyman is also a pending UFA next season. The amount of "concessions" leafs would have to make in order to have 5 players making 50 million just doesn't seem rational. It would be very difficult for the leafs to build a team with strong enough depth to contend for a cup with that core. A cup run is over 20 games, good depth is CRUCIAL.

Yep, Andersen is up. If they signed Petro, he'd probably go. Even if they don't he still might be gone; he'll be 32 and looking for a significant raise. Maybe the best bet regardless is to make a trade for a cheaper goalie and run a platoon, or dip into the FA market. Sandin especially and probably Liljegren will be playing 3rd pair until they're due for a new deal. Likely looking at cheap bridges for both. When Rielly is up, Muzzin's NTC becomes modified, so he's tradable. Let's also not rule out potential cap increase that far down the line; it's still possible. Hyman is also up, and it would be a bummer to lose him, but after another year of development, Robertson should be ready to step in and make an impact. And if they do decide to cut ties with Freddie, they might even be able to keep Hyman, I'm not sure, I don't have the numbers in front of me. Point is it's not as bad as it's made out to be and certainly not impossible.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll