Forums/Armchair-GM

test for pietrangelo

Created by: mhockey91
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 16, 2020
Published: Apr. 16, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
lets assume flat cap next year, and a 2 million cap increase the following season.
lets also assume that Barbanov is just as successful as Mikaylev (which may be optimistic but we will give him the same contract)

leafs will have no cap space and look at how thin that bottom 6 is. Plus they will have MANY players needing new contracts the following season like:
Rielly (who will probably walk)
Sandin
Lilligren
Mikhayev potentially
Campbell
etc...

Like yeah they could make it work, but at what cost? the bottom 6 is just too weak. even moving Holl for a cheaper replacement doesn't free up enough significant cap
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
7$9,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
goalie replacement, five million
5$5,000,000
defense, depth
1$900,000
forward, depth
1$900,000
Trades
TOR
    Traded year before to make room for Pieterangelo
    TOR
      traded for picks
      ANA
        Dermott
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the VGK
        Logo of the VGK
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the CAR
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        23$83,500,000$83,701,450$0$400,000-$201,450
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $1,750,000$1,750,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $11,640,250$11,640,250
        C
        UFA - 3
        $10,903,000$10,903,000
        RW
        UFA - 4
        $796,667$796,667
        LW, RW
        RFA - 3
        $11,000,000$11,000,000
        C, LW
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $6,962,366$6,962,366
        RW
        UFA - 3
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $900,000$900,000
        C
        UFA - 1
        $1,750,000$1,750,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $800,000$800,000
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $766,667$766,667
        C
        RFA - 2
        $800,000$800,000
        LW, RW
        UFA
        forward, depth
        $900,000$900,000
        $850,000$850,000
        RW
        UFA
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $9,500,000$9,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 6
        goalie replacement, five million
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        $5,625,000$5,625,000
        LD
        NTC
        UFA - 3
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
        RD
        RFA - 1
        $1,650,000$1,650,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $894,167$894,167
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        defense, depth
        $900,000$900,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:02 p.m.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:04 p.m.
        Test failed, spell his name right.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:04 p.m.
        Hakuna Matata
        I just dont see it working out. Pitrangelo is 30 so who knows how long he will play well. He may drop off after 33 and his production could go way way down. Its a gamble that is to risky for a cap strapped team like the leafs
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:05 p.m.
        Quoting: aadoyle
        I just dont see it working out. Pitrangelo is 30 so who knows how long he will play well. He may drop off after 33 and his production could go way way down. Its a gamble that is to risky for a cap strapped team like the leafs

I agree. the leafs cant afford another 10 million contract without moving a key player out, and that just isn't worth it
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:08 p.m.
        Formerly Jamiepo
        I really don’t see a fit with the leafs. Unless petro is going to take some wild discount. (Traded for and offered some crazy 8 year long robidas island contract) it just doesn’t work. With so much up in the air. Anything is possible at this point.
        Torontoleafs15 liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:13 p.m.
        Banned
        Pietrangelo is just to risky
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:14 p.m.
        Quoting: Jamiepo
        I really don’t see a fit with the leafs. Unless petro is going to take some wild discount. (Traded for and offered some crazy 8 year long robidas island contract) it just doesn’t work. With so much up in the air. Anything is possible at this point.

Exactly. It won’t happen
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:41 p.m.
        Oh my god... Once again I will reiterate, the Leafs signing Pietrangelo will not happen, and should not happen. Having said that, the picture you're painting here is worse than what the reality would actually be. The Leafs don't recoup anything here for any of Kapanen, Kerfoot or Johnsson, two of whom, are fairly valuable assets. The return they would get for those players would certainly play a role for the Leafs and that has just been completely overlooked here. This is also two drafts away and two years of prospect development away. The Leafs have actually gotten quite good at development recently and also scout overseas leagues hard to look for cheap talent. This 'thin' boittom six has the potential to be and likely would be a lot better than you are assuming. A $5m estimate for a goalie is okay, I won't go after that, but like I mentioned before, it's always possible for them to go platoon style with someone cheaper. Having taken all that into account, the big issue here is obviously re-signing Rielly. Two years down the line, Sandin has probably taken another step, so, as much as I hate to say it, they'd probably trade Muzzin because his clause becomes modified. I will end how I started: It will not happen, should not happen but it would still be okay if it did.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 9:59 p.m.
        Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
        Oh my god... Once again I will reiterate, the Leafs signing Pietrangelo will not happen, and should not happen. Having said that, the picture you're painting here is worse than what the reality would actually be. The Leafs don't recoup anything here for any of Kapanen, Kerfoot or Johnsson, two of whom, are fairly valuable assets. The return they would get for those players would certainly play a role for the Leafs and that has just been completely overlooked here. This is also two drafts away and two years of prospect development away. The Leafs have actually gotten quite good at development recently and also scout overseas leagues hard to look for cheap talent. This 'thin' boittom six has the potential to be and likely would be a lot better than you are assuming. A $5m estimate for a goalie is okay, I won't go after that, but like I mentioned before, it's always possible for them to go platoon style with someone cheaper. Having taken all that into account, the big issue here is obviously re-signing Rielly. Two years down the line, Sandin has probably taken another step, so, as much as I hate to say it, they'd probably trade Muzzin because his clause becomes modified. I will end how I started: It will not happen, should not happen but it would still be okay if it did.

Those “ELC players” that kerfoot Johnson and kap would bring in, would be up for new contracts by then. It’s just not sustainable. I literally painted a perfect picture for you. They could put together a roster but it likely wouldn’t contend and would be No better than the current leafs team
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:06 p.m.
        Quoting: mhockey91
        Those “ELC players” that kerfoot Johnson and kap would bring in, would be up for new contracts by then. It’s just not sustainable. I literally painted a perfect picture for you. They could put together a roster but it likely wouldn’t contend and would be No better than the current leafs team

So then you trade them out when they price themselves out of town and bring new guys in. That's how it works. Obviously if they are due raises then they have a some kind of value and therefore are tradable. You are also still ignoring the drafting/developing and free agency angles. This is far from a perfect picture as it ignores and assumes way too much.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:17 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Again this RHD fascination is so ridiculous. Paying Pietrangelo 9.5 but then have FIVE non AHLers at wing.....Barabonvo, Malgin, Bracco, Petan and Robertson. Gauthier at 3Ccry and minor league SAM with the Leafs. In what reality are the Leafs better.
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:18 p.m.
        So then you trade them out when they price themselves out of town and bring new guys in. That's how it works. Obviously if they are due raises then they have a some kind of value and therefore are tradable. You are also still ignoring the drafting/developing and free agency angles. This is far from a perfect picture as it ignores and assumes way too much.

In a perfect world your theory works, but it’s just not realistic. You’re gonna end up trading for some ELC’s that don’t pan out, and also, the leafs really don’t have much in the farm system aside from Robertson. You’re overly optimistic with this
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:19 p.m.

Quoting: palhal
        Again this RHD fascination is so ridiculous. Paying Pietrangelo 9.5 but then have FIVE non AHLers at wing.....Barabonvo, Malgin, Bracco, Petan and Robertson. Gauthier at 3Ccry and minor league SAM with the Leafs. In what reality are the Leafs better.

Exactly the argument I’m trying to make! Thanks @palhal ! It’s just not logical
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:33 p.m.
        In a perfect world your theory works, but it’s just not realistic. You’re gonna end up trading for some ELC’s that don’t pan out, and also, the leafs really don’t have much in the farm system aside from Robertson. You’re overly optimistic with this

It really doesn't need to be a perfect world. Of course, not every trade/signing is going to work out, but we're talking bottom of the lineup here. A 7-8 minute a night 4th line guy not working out isn't going to make or break a team. The Leafs system is actually pretty okay if you looked at it and they are quite good at developing. They don't have much elite potential, but they've got plenty of guys who have decent chances at turning into bottom six guys which is what they would need in this scenario.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:34 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Exactly the argument I’m trying to make! Thanks @palhal ! It’s just not logical

Thanks mhockey91. I've been arguing for years about this magical RHD that is not to be the magic panacea that is going to solve all the Leaf problems.
        I'm optimistic that Reilly, Muzzin, Sandin, Dermot Holl are very well NHL capable, that's five. Liljegren maybe and Marinicn is the 6th/7th/8th guys. Just need one or maybe two NHL competent Dmen, maybe like the 2018/19 version fo Hainsey...then the Leafs will be fine. Not having Barrie/Ceci. a bonus. Trying to avoid Reilly, Muzzin and Dermot on LTIR. And a full year of Keefe. I just think the Leafs defence and team will be better. Now when will the 2020/21 start?.....now I have less optimistic about 2020 calendar year resumption.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:39 p.m.
        Quoting: palhal
        Thanks mhockey91. I've been arguing for years about this magical RHD that is not to be the magic panacea that is going to solve all the Leaf problems.
        I'm optimistic that Reilly, Muzzin, Sandin, Dermot Holl are very well NHL capable, that's five. Liljegren maybe and Marinicn is the 6th/7th/8th guys. Just need one or maybe two NHL competent Dmen, maybe like the 2018/19 version fo Hainsey...then the Leafs will be fine. Not having Barrie/Ceci. a bonus. Trying to avoid Reilly, Muzzin and Dermot on LTIR. And a full year of Keefe. I just think the Leafs defence and team will be better. Now when will the 2020/21 start?.....now I have less optimistic about 2020 calendar year resumption.

I just want to jump in here and say that I agree with everything you said. I'd like somebody a little higher calibre than Hainsey, just a good partner for Rielly who can play against top competition (like a Weegar). The only point I'm trying to make is that signing Petro, though probably not ideal, would not be as disastrous as it's made out to be here.
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 10:59 p.m.
        I doubt it will happen, but whether or not the leafs could or would do it would be contingent on what AAV he demands from them. If he considers TOR his top suitor (not saying he does, just a hypothetical), then maybe the price drops, or maybe the price drops because good teams can't afford to pay him what he might have otherwise commanded due to COVID. I realistically don't see it happening, but I wouldn't say that it absolutely cannot be done at a reasonable cost
        Apr. 16, 2020 at 11:57 p.m.
        bottom 6 is brutal
        mhockey91 liked this.
        Apr. 17, 2020 at 2:34 a.m.
        I just want to jump in here and say that I agree with everything you said. I'd like somebody a little higher calibre than Hainsey, just a good partner for Rielly who can play against top competition (like a Weegar). The only point I'm trying to make is that signing Petro, though probably not ideal, would not be as disastrous as it's made out to be here.

it would only get worse in future years with more players needing contracts and not a significant amount of salary coming off the books. leafs would basically need to have a good bottom 6 filled with guys on their ELC's / very low AAV deals which is very difficult.
        Apr. 17, 2020 at 2:36 a.m.
        Quoting: Teemu_salami
        bottom 6 is brutal

exactly what im trying to illustrate
        Apr. 17, 2020 at 1:16 p.m.
        it would only get worse in future years with more players needing contracts and not a significant amount of salary coming off the books. leafs would basically need to have a good bottom 6 filled with guys on their ELC's / very low AAV deals which is very difficult.

Yes, that's completely fair. It would get harder in future years and some years would be better than others, but that's the give and take here. If they were to sign Petro (again, don't necessarily think they should), for the next 3-4 years, their window is WIDE open. With the assets they would recoup for KK +AJ +AK and the recruitment of overseas FA's, they could sustain a solid bottom 6 for a few years (let's say four years, not unreasonable). For those four years, assuming they get league average goaltending, they would likely be legit contenders. Now let's look at the Leafs in four years, barring a Pietrangelo signing. Tavares will be 34. Matthews will be a UFA. Nylander will be a UFA. That's a lot of question marks at the top end of the lineup. Do you risk letting AM/WN walk? Because if they aren't re-signed or traded by the deadline before their UFA period starts, you're running the risk of losing them for nothing. And if you do trade them, you likely aren't getting a suitable amount for them because they are rentals and would likely be traded to a team that wants to make a push and therefore would not want to trade from their roster (at least not higher calibre players). In this case, you would be sacrificing a playoff run. It's just about the decision. Do you want to boost your chances for the next four years, after which you will likely struggle? Or do you want to have a decent, more sustainable bottom six/D, when you still run the risk of falling off in four years? I'd prefer going the second route, I think, but that could come back and bite you hard and that would suck. You just hope that it doesn't. If you opt for the Pietrangelo route, at least in four years when you will start to see tough times, no matter what happens, you can say 'well at least we went for it'.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll