SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

He Didn't Deserve It

Who would you have given the 2016 Conn Smythe to?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 18, 2020 at 4:31 p.m.
This probably got enough attention at the time, but can we just talk about the fact that there were 4 or 5 guys who deserved to win the Conn Smythe over Crosby in 2016. I know a guy on the losing team never wins, but imo Couture got robbed.

Who would you have given it to?
SlafCaufZuki liked this.
Apr. 19, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think Crosby was a good pick. He was doing so many things for the team.
Apr. 19, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I think Crosby was a good pick. He was doing so many things for the team.

He was good, but I still think Couture should've gotten it. Led the playoffs in scoring, played the PK and PP, he was just awesome.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Apr. 19, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
He was good, but I still think Couture should've gotten it. Led the playoffs in scoring, played the PK and PP, he was just awesome.

If San Jose had won i would have given it to Couture or Burns, but i feel like, to win the Conn Smythe on the losing team, you have to be UNBELIEVABLY good ... like JS Giguere in 2003
Apr. 19, 2020 at 2:22 p.m.
If San Jose had won i would have given it to Couture or Burns, but i feel like, to win the Conn Smythe on the losing team, you have to be UNBELIEVABLY good ... like JS Giguere in 2003

Honestly, I couldn't care less about who won the Cup when it comes to Conn Smythe voting. If it's really close between two guys on opposite teams, then give the edge to the cup champ obviously. But once you're in the finals, so long as it's a good series, just give it to the best player. Like Couture had 11 more points than Crosby in the same amount of games and was up by 6 on the guy in 2nd. I know that points aren't everything, but it's not like he was slouch in other aspects.
Apr. 19, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Honestly, I couldn't care less about who won the Cup when it comes to Conn Smythe voting. If it's really close between two guys on opposite teams, then give the edge to the cup champ obviously. But once you're in the finals, so long as it's a good series, just give it to the best player. Like Couture had 11 more points than Crosby in the same amount of games and was up by 6 on the guy in 2nd. I know that points aren't everything, but it's not like he was slouch in other aspects.

Yes, but they always say the big difference is between winning the cup and not winning the cup, not between making it to the finals and making it to the 3rd round ... I feel like the vote should go to the team who wins the cup because it's the player that made the most difference between winning the cup and not winning the cup. And so many players say they don't care how far they go, but they haven't gotten their goal until they win the cup.
Apr. 19, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
Yes, but they always say the big difference is between winning the cup and not winning the cup, not between making it to the finals and making it to the 3rd round ... I feel like the vote should go to the team who wins the cup because it's the player that made the most difference between winning the cup and not winning the cup. And so many players say they don't care how far they go, but they haven't gotten their goal until they win the cup.

That just doesn't make sense to me. This was a six game series and a few of those games were one goal differences. This series could have easily swung in the other direction based on things that had nothing to do with Couture, but had that happened, Couture would be the rightful winner over Crosby? That just seems iffy to me.
Apr. 19, 2020 at 10:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
That just doesn't make sense to me. This was a six game series and a few of those games were one goal differences. This series could have easily swung in the other direction based on things that had nothing to do with Couture, but had that happened, Couture would be the rightful winner over Crosby? That just seems iffy to me.

I'm saying there's a big difference between winning the cup and not winning the cup ... these teams don't make their goal to go to the final, or the 3rd round, or making the playoffs ... the goal is to win the cup. So, I feel like the Conn Smythe should go to a player on the winning team except for the very rare exception ... tbh i'd rather they changed it to give a player on the winning team the Conn Smythe every year (just change it to the MVP of the winning team) but i feel like with the current rules, there can be exceptions. I still don't think Couture was enough of an exception.
Apr. 19, 2020 at 10:58 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
At the time I would’ve said Kessel. Don’t know if I’m so sure he deserved it any more, but I’ll just go with that, since it was my first thought.
Apr. 20, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
If my memory is correct, this was the year the HBK line was fire. Should have gone to one of them.
Apr. 20, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: Pointerr21
If my memory is correct, this was the year the HBK line was fire. Should have gone to one of them.

Yep, that was the year. Glad to see my guy Phil the Thrill getting some love in the voting.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit