UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 23, 2020 at 9:50 a.m.
you will be over the cap 7 hours after a forward gets hurt.
Apr. 23, 2020 at 9:52 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
you will be over the cap 7 hours after a forward gets hurt.

Lol yup
Apr. 23, 2020 at 10:01 a.m.
Cap issues aside. Most loved this trade when it happened. Its still not a terrible trade yet anyways. But this is why we need to pump the brakes on all this trading kerfoot johnsson kappanen for a defenceman talk. If a deal for any of these guys is looked at it better be a homerun for the Leafs. Im also seeing alot of johnsson for a 2nd rounder. While i agree that this is close value its a ridiculous trade when its put into context from a Leaf team perspective. Trade 20 goals for something u wont see for 4 years or maybe ever when you are trying to win a cup. This is called not maximizing an asset and its how GMs lose there jobs.
Apr. 23, 2020 at 10:10 a.m.
rpatrick
Right because the Leafs are just going to throw five foot nine 175 pound Nicholas Robertson into the NHL with the likes of Ryan Reaves around. No thank you, give the kid time to develop, too many great prospects have been ruined by sending them into the NHL too early.

Plus while we clearly didn't win the Nazem Kadri deal I think Dubas had the right idea there. Nazem is a legitimate second line centre, even first line on many teams in the NHL and is wasted on the Leafs third line. We need defense not more offense.
Apr. 23, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bc44
Cap issues aside. Most loved this trade when it happened. Its still not a terrible trade yet anyways. But this is why we need to pump the brakes on all this trading kerfoot johnsson kappanen for a defenceman talk. If a deal for any of these guys is looked at it better be a homerun for the Leafs. Im also seeing alot of johnsson for a 2nd rounder. While i agree that this is close value its a ridiculous trade when its put into context from a Leaf team perspective. Trade 20 goals for something u wont see for 4 years or maybe ever when you are trying to win a cup. This is called not maximizing an asset and its how GMs lose there jobs.

It is a late second rounder, and with all the picks Ottawa has they will ship out one of them for a current roster player. And unless the Leafs want to go into next season wth a D core of Holl and Liligren on right side, they will have to move out one if not two of the bottom six guys to fill that spot. IMO
Apr. 23, 2020 at 10:28 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan416
It is a late second rounder, and with all the picks Ottawa has they will ship out one of them for a current roster player. And unless the Leafs want to go into next season wth a D core of Holl and Liligren on right side, they will have to move out one if not two of the bottom six guys to fill that spot. IMO

To your point it may be a deal the leafs are forced into making due to cap issues but should be avoided at all cost. Player for player trade is the best way fwd for the Leafs and their tradable assets. If Holl improves at a pace like he did last year he will be a major asset. Unlikely that he develops into a top pairing dman in the NHL but it wouldnt be the first time a guy seems to come out of nowhere and is a quality NHL player. Actually happens alot. The Leafs need a 1 million dollar veteran dman to plug a hole for now and keep everyone until a deal presents itself so major mistakes are not made. So to ur point i am ok with the leafs having a defence of rilley muzzin dermott holl marincin rosen sandin and Liljegren with another low price veteran to help with the heavy lifting to start the season next year. Some might call me crazy but i still think patience is the best thing for this young team
Apr. 23, 2020 at 10:49 a.m.
Banned
To your point it may be a deal the leafs are forced into making due to cap issues but should be avoided at all cost. Player for player trade is the best way fwd for the Leafs and their tradable assets. If Holl improves at a pace like he did last year he will be a major asset. Unlikely that he develops into a top pairing dman in the NHL but it wouldnt be the first time a guy seems to come out of nowhere and is a quality NHL player. Actually happens alot. The Leafs need a 1 million dollar veteran dman to plug a hole for now and keep everyone until a deal presents itself so major mistakes are not made. So to ur point i am ok with the leafs having a defence of rilley muzzin dermott holl marincin rosen sandin and Liljegren with another low price veteran to help with the heavy lifting to start the season next year. Some might call me crazy but i still think patience is the best thing for this young team

Unfortunately, patience went out the window the day they signed Tavares. Good or bad, this is a win now team. Being a mediocre team, which they are, some changes have to happen. IMO

Apr. 23, 2020 at 10:53 a.m.
never, hes the Avs now and we love him
Apr. 23, 2020 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan416
Unfortunately, patience went out the window the day they signed Tavares. Good or bad, this is a win now team. Being a mediocre team, which they are, some changes have to happen. IMO

I disagree that this is a win now team. All of their core is signed to term contracts. Making forced trades is how mistakes are made and in fact may make the team worse not better. Ill use Manson as an example as ive seen many trades for him. Fyi i really like Manson however say ANH wants kappanen kerfoot or johnsson for him. So manson is in a very similar age contract money and term and money as Muzzin was when we traded for him. We traded a late 1st Durzi and Grundstrom for him. So we have to ask ourselves is Manson better then Muzzin? the Numbers show that he is not better then Muzzin. A trade involving Manson is one that Leaf fans are paying big for. With that being said its one that we should be warry off to not make a mistake and overpay. The emotion of this trade makes sense as Manson is a favorite of mine but the math doesnt if ANH is looking for more then what we gave up for Muzzin
Apr. 23, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: rpatrick
Right because the Leafs are just going to throw five foot nine 175 pound Nicholas Robertson into the NHL with the likes of Ryan Reaves around. No thank you, give the kid time to develop, too many great prospects have been ruined by sending them into the NHL too early.

Plus while we clearly didn't win the Nazem Kadri deal I think Dubas had the right idea there. Nazem is a legitimate second line centre, even first line on many teams in the NHL and is wasted on the Leafs third line. We need defense not more offense.

Yes Kadri is legitimate second line center and is one of the cheapest ones in the league, thinking that they needed to replace a $4.5M 2C with an $11m 2C was a massive blunder.

I'm not a Leafs hater but I see so so sooo many Leafs threads on here where one or two of Kap, Kerf or Johnsson is traded for cap space to sign a dman or for a dman and really no matter how it's sliced one of the big four is gonna have to go at some point and I doubt Nylander would free up enough cap space to improve the lineup as much as possible.
Apr. 23, 2020 at 7:55 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I disagree that this is a win now team. All of their core is signed to term contracts. Making forced trades is how mistakes are made and in fact may make the team worse not better. Ill use Manson as an example as ive seen many trades for him. Fyi i really like Manson however say ANH wants kappanen kerfoot or johnsson for him. So manson is in a very similar age contract money and term and money as Muzzin was when we traded for him. We traded a late 1st Durzi and Grundstrom for him. So we have to ask ourselves is Manson better then Muzzin? the Numbers show that he is not better then Muzzin. A trade involving Manson is one that Leaf fans are paying big for. With that being said its one that we should be warry off to not make a mistake and overpay. The emotion of this trade makes sense as Manson is a favorite of mine but the math doesnt if ANH is looking for more then what we gave up for Muzzin

The Leafs are totally in win now mode, sure some of those guys are signed with term but the window to win is during Matthews deal cause when he's up who knows if they'll have the space to keep him plus Tavares isn't exactly young, Andersen, Hyman and Reilly need raises soon, blew through the first years of Sandin and Liljegren's ELC's so they're gonna need raises a year sooner then originally planned, everything about this lineup says they need to go for it now.
Apr. 24, 2020 at 12:15 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
The Leafs are totally in win now mode, sure some of those guys are signed with term but the window to win is during Matthews deal cause when he's up who knows if they'll have the space to keep him plus Tavares isn't exactly young, Andersen, Hyman and Reilly need raises soon, blew through the first years of Sandin and Liljegren's ELC's so they're gonna need raises a year sooner then originally planned, everything about this lineup says they need to go for it now.

I disagree. I would say a team like Pittsburgh is in an absolute win now situation. Torontos team is still so young. When the Leafs core starts moving into their 30s thats when its a win mode. Most of the leafs core are just coming off their entry level deals and have barely got their uniforms dirty in the league. "Also win now mode" is a bad term as every team wants to win now ha.
Apr. 24, 2020 at 8:52 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I disagree. I would say a team like Pittsburgh is in an absolute win now situation. Torontos team is still so young. When the Leafs core starts moving into their 30s thats when its a win mode. Most of the leafs core are just coming off their entry level deals and have barely got their uniforms dirty in the league. "Also win now mode" is a bad term as every team wants to win now ha.

Leafs are in win now mode due to contracts more then age of their core.
Apr. 25, 2020 at 12:24 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Leafs are in win now mode due to contracts more then age of their core.

If this is how leafs management is looking at it its a huge mistake and is setting the team up for failure. Age and maturity has alot more to do with winning then length of contract. Can u imagine if the leafs didnt win in the next 3-4 years and management trades some of this core group ahhaha i mean some of these guys will just be entering their prime years. Crazy crazy crazy that people think the leafs are in a desperate win now situation.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll