Forums/Armchair-GM

What

Created by: HatterTParty
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 27, 2020
Published: Apr. 27, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Someone please explain the logic of this move to me. I don’t mean to be melodramatic. A month after saying everything was going to stay in place, rocky wirtz actually does fire somebody. However, it’s the man who arguably has done his job the best: John MacDonaugh. Now, I know John is not a hockey person. Problem is, he wasn’t hired to be one! John is one of the best marketing minds in sports and is almost single handedly behind the revival on a (possibly) global scale. Of course the players did their part, but he managed to create marketing strategy and an image of the team that helped solidify the dynasty. Again, can someone explain this choice? MacDonaugh but not Colliton or Bowman?
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
27$81,500,000$72,514,186$0$7,797,500$8,985,814
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$880,833$880,833
LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 4
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 27, 2020 at 5:54 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Should have been bowman
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 5:56 p.m.
exo2769
I would have fired him instead of Q. This was a good move, but it's too late to get Q back. It's his job to be the buffer between coach and GM. There's zero secret that Stan and Q had a strained relationship, but guess what...LOTS of GMs and Coaches don't see eye to eye on every single decision.

I also disagree with you on his job being purely marketing. Lots of factors played into turning this franchise around. He's certainly part of it, but by no means the main or in the top 5 reasons they turned this thing around.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:01 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Have a feeling it will be a domino effect sooner or later.
exo2769, ChiHawk and Jco5ta5 liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:06 p.m.
Quoting: CFMan
Have a feeling it will be a domino effect sooner or later.

Quoting: exo2769
I would have fired him instead of Q. This was a good move, but it's too late to get Q back. It's his job to be the buffer between coach and GM. There's zero secret that Stan and Q had a strained relationship, but guess what...LOTS of GMs and Coaches don't see eye to eye on every single decision.

I also disagree with you on his job being purely marketing. Lots of factors played into turning this franchise around. He's certainly part of it, but by no means the main or in the top 5 reasons they turned this thing around.

I’m hearing a lot of humors that CFMan might be spot on. There is a substantial chance bowman might be next and a full rebuild might be in the offing. Could be nothing, but I’m not gonna lie, it is a significant sign of change.
exo2769 and CFMan liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:11 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: HatterTParty
I’m hearing a lot of humors that CFMan might be spot on. There is a substantial chance bowman might be next and a full rebuild might be in the offing. Could be nothing, but I’m not gonna lie, it is a significant sign of change.

If you're going to tear it down...don't half ass it is all I have to say. That's a guarantee failure if you're looking to just move everyone except Toews/Kane/Keith. I don't want them to do that, but I'll be the new HatterT if they half ass anything.
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:15 p.m.
If you're going to tear it down...don't half ass it is all I have to say. That's a guarantee failure if you're looking to just move everyone except Toews/Kane/Keith. I don't want them to do that, but I'll be the new HatterT if they half ass anything.

First names on the trade, as hard as it is to say as a hawks fan, needs to be toews and Kane in that case. Get as close to max return as possible. Ive been playing up a Kane to rangers trade since Kane misses panarin, and the hawks could get a king’s ransom in that trade. Toews is a bit of a wild care due to the cap hit though.

Completely agree though, just the rangers two and a half years ago, if you do it, do it for real! Don’t half ass it.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:17 p.m.
Hawks Fan
My guess is what CFMan said. My guess is McDonough was too loyal to StanBo who has made more questionable moves lately than not. Get rid of McDonough, next president doesn’t have loyalty to StanBo and Colliton and both can be dismissed.

Fun fact: The McDonough family used to live down the street from me. One of his sons is my age. We grew up together, hung out in jr high and high school. Had eat overs, sleepovers, etc. John and his family are good people. I hope he lands on his feet. He definitely did his job well.
exo2769, ChiHawk and CFMan liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:28 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
My guess is what CFMan said. My guess is McDonough was too loyal to StanBo who has made more questionable moves lately than not. Get rid of McDonough, next president doesn’t have loyalty to StanBo and Colliton and both can be dismissed.

Fun fact: The McDonough family used to live down the street from me. One of his sons is my age. We grew up together, hung out in jr high and high school. Had eat overs, sleepovers, etc. John and his family are good people. I hope he lands on his feet. He definitely did his job well.

Well said. There is a good chance if anything happens to bowman (and by extension Colliton), it won’t happen until a new president takes a hard look at bowman or even gives him one more year.

As for the family, that’s pretty awesome. I met him a few times and he always seemed like a good man. Standing ovation and round of applause to John, thank you for the service and success.
Jco5ta5, exo2769, ChiHawk and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:35 p.m.
I always do think it's fair to point out that the pieces for the 2010 Stanley Cup were already with the team when McDonough was hired on...as well as Bowman's promotion and Q being hired. And a lot of the players were already drafted prior to Tallon taking over as well. I feel like a lot of roses are thrown at Tallon when his biggest moves were drafting Toews at 3 and Kane at 1 (both no-brainers), signing Campbell to a cap busting free agent deal and signing Hossa. Keith, Seabs, Byfuglien, and a few others were drafted prior to Tallon.
By all accounts McDonough is great. Thanks to him for the 13 seasons and his role in the 3 Cups.
Looking forward, perhaps it's time for a new voice at top. All of the Fire Bowman chanters should be cautiously optimistic that a new team president will fire Bowman and bring in a new GM. My opinion of Bowman is he's made a lot of mistakes, some good moves, well above average at drafting players, and overall a top 10 GM in the NHL-probably more because a lot of them are just worse rather than Bowman being great. If he is fired, fine, but I'm not fully convinced that a new GM will automatically be better.
exo2769, Roviet_Sussia and ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:55 p.m.
First names on the trade, as hard as it is to say as a hawks fan, needs to be toews and Kane in that case. Get as close to max return as possible. Ive been playing up a Kane to rangers trade since Kane misses panarin, and the hawks could get a king’s ransom in that trade. Toews is a bit of a wild care due to the cap hit though.

Completely agree though, just the rangers two and a half years ago, if you do it, do it for real! Don’t half ass it.

Those two do have full NMC's, so it's not a given to just trade them because one wants to. Plus, with 10M cap hits, that's a big chunk of cap space for another GM to take on in a trade. One also isn't guaranteed to get better in a rebuild within 3 seasons. The Rangers are currently out of the playoffs as well, so I'm hesitant to call it a full rebuild complete.
I think a more prudent approach is to not trade away a top 5 talent like Kane and hope in 3 years one got someone 75% as good. The Penguins went 6 seasons in between Cups with Crosby/Malkin. The Cup window for the Blackhawks is closed right now, but if a few of these defenseman pan out (like Maata did for Penguins), a lucky/smart trade (getting a 30+ goal scorer like Kessel is a stretch, but 20-25 goal guy?). and probably a coach like Gallant....suddenly the window is open again for a season or two.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Jco5ta5

I don't mean anything personally. I wish everyone the absolute most success. Please don't take it that way.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 7:04 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: RamonDaze
I always do think it's fair to point out that the pieces for the 2010 Stanley Cup were already with the team when McDonough was hired on...as well as Bowman's promotion and Q being hired. And a lot of the players were already drafted prior to Tallon taking over as well. I feel like a lot of roses are thrown at Tallon when his biggest moves were drafting Toews at 3 and Kane at 1 (both no-brainers), signing Campbell to a cap busting free agent deal and signing Hossa. Keith, Seabs, Byfuglien, and a few others were drafted prior to Tallon.
By all accounts McDonough is great. Thanks to him for the 13 seasons and his role in the 3 Cups.
Looking forward, perhaps it's time for a new voice at top. All of the Fire Bowman chanters should be cautiously optimistic that a new team president will fire Bowman and bring in a new GM. My opinion of Bowman is he's made a lot of mistakes, some good moves, well above average at drafting players, and overall a top 10 GM in the NHL-probably more because a lot of them are just worse rather than Bowman being great. If he is fired, fine, but I'm not fully convinced that a new GM will automatically be better.

I think Bowman gets a very bad rap on here. By no means is he perfect. I would say this in his defense (which I feel I need to remind people a bunch) Name 1 GM in the entire NHL that's done a better job at importing players into the NHL. Also, he hasn't had a ton of draft picks to work with, but has done a pretty darn good job. Trading away picks @ the TDL is part of the reason they won 3 cups. Just about every other GM that's going to get highly ranked...has flaws that are similar to Bowmans too. Not too many GMs can say they've never overpaid their own players. That's a routine thing that unfortunately happens.
Jco5ta5 and RamonDaze liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 7:07 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
You guys have quite the wrong idea here, Bowman WILL serve as CEO, Team President, General Manger, AND have JC as his figurehead coach.

Stan_Bowman is the Chicago Blackhawks, and were just in phase 2 of his hostile takeover.

Eventually, Wirtz will cut out all of his family members from his will, all except for the person whom he shares the deepest connection with... Stan.

You may not like it, but I AM INEVITABLE.
exo2769 and SociallyHawkward liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 7:41 p.m.
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
You guys have quite the wrong idea here, Bowman WILL serve as CEO, Team President, General Manger, AND have JC as his figurehead coach.

Stan_Bowman is the Chicago Blackhawks, and were just in phase 2 of his hostile takeover.

Eventually, Wirtz will cut out all of his family members from his will, all except for the person whom he shares the deepest connection with... Stan.

.....wow, chills, literal chills.....
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 7:42 p.m.
exo2769

Alright Thanos
Apr. 27, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.

I do agree with you mostly in the opening remarks you’ve made here. I do think macdonaugh’s biggest contribution to this team has been his ability to make this team so marketable and capitalize on the success achieved by the coaches and players. Coach Q, well let’s just he is my messiah. Under no circumstances do I believe any other other could have achieved with this team what Q did. He was the perfect coach at the perfect time. As for Tallon, he may have only drafted toews and Kane, but he did bring in Campbell, Ladd, hossa, and Versteeg, amongst others. Above all, he gave us Q.

Bowman, well, as exo will tell you, I don’t have too high an opinion of him. Yes he’s done well to bring players over to the NHL, yes he’s made trades to help the core win cups (handzus and Vermette especially), and sure, he maintained the core through tough cap conditions. However, he did not, in any way, create the core himself, he did overpay players (definitely seabrook and somewhat toews), and he is the man who traded a great deal of the core and many great young prospects and players. My common criticism of him has always been that he maintains a good team, but he will never build one. Do I think there are a handful of better GMs in this league? Without any question! I do agree we need to be careful what to expect if bowman is fired. However, to me, bowman is like ken holland (minus the fact that ken holland actually helped bring in the new wave of red wings for the later 00s). Holland just lost the magic in the end, and bowman just feels similar.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 8:01 p.m.
Those two do have full NMC's, so it's not a given to just trade them because one wants to. Plus, with 10M cap hits, that's a big chunk of cap space for another GM to take on in a trade. One also isn't guaranteed to get better in a rebuild within 3 seasons. The Rangers are currently out of the playoffs as well, so I'm hesitant to call it a full rebuild complete.
I think a more prudent approach is to not trade away a top 5 talent like Kane and hope in 3 years one got someone 75% as good. The Penguins went 6 seasons in between Cups with Crosby/Malkin. The Cup window for the Blackhawks is closed right now, but if a few of these defenseman pan out (like Maata did for Penguins), a lucky/smart trade (getting a 30+ goal scorer like Kessel is a stretch, but 20-25 goal guy?). and probably a coach like Gallant....suddenly the window is open again for a season or two.

Thing you gotta remember about the penguins is that that team still made the playoffs every year. The thing that tilted things back in their favor is the players they drafted in between cups. They started to focus on players most people didn’t care about: the college players who were great skaters and hard workers. All that speed was injected into those 2016 and 2017 teams and they were explosive. The comparable between Kane/toews and Crosby/malkin, on the other hand, is kind of apples and oranges. Crosby and malkin are two of the game’s best offensive talents. Kane of course is, but toews, not as much. Crosby and Gino really willed some of those teams to the playoffs at times. Toews and Kane can’t really do that.

The rangers have really taken great strides this season. I still think their rebuild is over and believe next season they will be a playoff team.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 9:26 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Apr. 28, 2020 at 1:25 p.m.
Thing you gotta remember about the penguins is that that team still made the playoffs every year. The thing that tilted things back in their favor is the players they drafted in between cups. They started to focus on players most people didn’t care about: the college players who were great skaters and hard workers. All that speed was injected into those 2016 and 2017 teams and they were explosive. The comparable between Kane/toews and Crosby/malkin, on the other hand, is kind of apples and oranges. Crosby and malkin are two of the game’s best offensive talents. Kane of course is, but toews, not as much. Crosby and Gino really willed some of those teams to the playoffs at times. Toews and Kane can’t really do that.

The rangers have really taken great strides this season. I still think their rebuild is over and believe next season they will be a playoff team.

So I agree with the second part of this. Crosby is indeed a generational talent. But THAT'S the reason the keep making the playoffs. Nothing else. He has literally made careers out of guys like rust and Simon. Neither of them had any business being on the top pair except Crosby was just THAT GOOD. An argument could be made for Horny too. Go look at JRs trade is the last 3 years. I'd argue his trade history is the worst in the entire NHL over that period.

We complain about Joki/Nylander, but Kessel was literally an 92 / 82 point player in that system and brought in Galy. Like.....I'm kinda sure that belongs in a historically bad all time all sports kind of trade. Kessel in AZ is a completely different situation.

***EDIT*** it's the same reason Chia destroyed EDMs organization, but Holland comes in and looks like they're going to be just fine. JUST DONT MESS IT UP!
ChiHawk and RamonDaze liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 10:29 p.m.

My comparison with the Penguins was more about them being a Cup contender that didn't blow it up for a rebuild and not a comparison of Crosby/Malkin versus Toews/Kane. While the Penguins did make the playoffs, there were 3 first round exits in those 6 seasons in between Cups for them. Instead of trading away Crosby and/or Malkin, they held onto their core and retooled. They did fire their GM and coaches, which is worth noting. My thought is bring in a new GM/coach and retool with Toews/Kane. Saad is good but I'd be willing to listen on offers, Seabs is a Blackhawk as long as he wants to be because of that contract if there's no CBO.
Blowing it up in a rebuild comes with the high risk of needing to nail the prospects and picks. Not every top draft pick becomes a top 5 scorer or Norris trophy winner.
ChiHawk and exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 11:28 p.m.

Can’t wait for you to change your name and that awful picture!
Apr. 27, 2020 at 11:50 p.m.
So I agree with the second part of this. Crosby is indeed a generational talent. But THAT'S the reason the keep making the playoffs. Nothing else. He has literally made careers out of guys like rust and Simon. Neither of them had any business being on the top pair except Crosby was just THAT GOOD. An argument could be made for Horny too. Go look at JRs trade is the last 3 years. I'd argue his trade history is the worst in the entire NHL over that period.

We complain about Joki/Nylander, but Kessel was literally an 92 / 82 point player in that system and brought in Galy. Like.....I'm kinda sure that belongs in a historically bad all time all sports kind of trade. Kessel in AZ is a completely different situation.

***EDIT*** it's the same reason Chia destroyed EDMs organization, but Hollang comes in and out looks like they're going to be just fine. JUST DONT MESS IT UP!

I agree with this. None of the players are exactly marquee. I do like rust, but he is a good example of great with the right players (aka malkin).

Rutherford’s trade history is actually kind of ironic. Lots of people seem to think size is the almighty trait these days. I still maintain that the blues are the exception to the rule and the caps were actually a very fast team. Rutherford built a team of sheer speed and energy and it got them 2 cups. Sadly, Rutherford messed up what was working when his trades started. As you mentioned, Kessel for Galch, absolute ****. Then there’s acquiring gudbranson, getting rid of archibald, Wilson, sheary (the first time), and the signing of JJ...awful. Granted these names are mostly depth, but that is a lot of speed being traded and size and slow feet being acquired.
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Apr. 27, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
My comparison with the Penguins was more about them being a Cup contender that didn't blow it up for a rebuild and not a comparison of Crosby/Malkin versus Toews/Kane. While the Penguins did make the playoffs, there were 3 first round exits in those 6 seasons in between Cups for them. Instead of trading away Crosby and/or Malkin, they held onto their core and retooled. They did fire their GM and coaches, which is worth noting. My thought is bring in a new GM/coach and retool with Toews/Kane. Saad is good but I'd be willing to listen on offers, Seabs is a Blackhawk as long as he wants to be because of that contract if there's no CBO.
Blowing it up in a rebuild comes with the high risk of needing to nail the prospects and picks. Not every top draft pick becomes a top 5 scorer or Norris trophy winner.

I like your idea and I would love it if they could pull that off with a new GM and coach. Honestly, the biggest priority for me would be to get a lot more speed and youth in the team. There’s almost no pace up and down the line up. That will seemingly take time though. Besides the young dmen in the team, I honestly can’t think of any fast forward prospects besides kurashev. In this year’s draft, I’d really like to see them focus on taking some great skaters.
RamonDaze and exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 28, 2020 at 9:14 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Apr. 28, 2020 at 11:14 a.m.
I agree with this. None of the players are exactly marquee. I do like rust, but he is a good example of great with the right players (aka malkin).

Rutherford’s trade history is actually kind of ironic. Lots of people seem to think size is the almighty trait these days. I still maintain that the blues are the exception to the rule and the caps were actually a very fast team. Rutherford built a team of sheer speed and energy and it got them 2 cups. Sadly, Rutherford messed up what was working when his trades started. As you mentioned, Kessel for Galch, absolute ****. Then there’s acquiring gudbranson, getting rid of archibald, Wilson, sheary (the first time), and the signing of JJ...awful. Granted these names are mostly depth, but that is a lot of speed being traded and size and slow feet being acquired.

It's not just the Blues, but also Boston and Washington. I can't think of 1 player on either team that's really know for their speed. Ovi, Wilson, Carlson, Kuz, Backstrom, Oshie. none of those guys are speedsters. I'm not saying they're Orpik either, but what those guys can do is be physical and play a 2 way game. Even Ovi gets very physical. Boston too. Bergeron, Chara, Krejci. Marchand is pretty quick, but even he's better known for antics. Vegas is a speed team. Aves are a speed team. EDM too. TOR PIT. We'll see what happens in the future.

***EDIT*** as a side note...there's zero ill will toward McD. I'm sure he's a great guy...although the Athletic was not as kind...BUT it's a day later and I'm reading stories about how HE put them on TV and that blows my mind. We're giving this guy too much credit. Yes he did the winter classics and Yes he probably got the get away games televised too, but A.) Rocky signed the Comcast deal before McD was ever hired. and B.) this is like giving Chiarelli credit for drafting McDavid. Literally every team in the NHL was on TV, but "Dollar" Bill Wirtz refused to put the Hawks on TV. It's not exactly rocket science to put a sports team on Television. It's way to early to get this upset, but everyone's losing their minds and the ONLY credit I saw for McD's contribution to anything...ya know...on ice...actually came from Rocky himself.

Interesting read here too...
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20180625/NEWS06/180629939/chicago-blackhawks-hire-new-advertising-agency

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll