Forums/Armchair-GM

Most Optimized Oilers

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: May 1, 2020
Published: May 1, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Effectively an identical AGM as to the one I posted last night, but with Granlund + Hoffman > Hall. The potential for this team to score 300 or more goals in a season is very real, and would make them the sixth team to accomplish the feat in the last 20 years. Arguably the most talented forward group this team has had since the mid-80s. Because Edmonton puts itself right up against the cap, there's no room to run a spare forward. With McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins capable of wheeling for long stretches of time, this shouldn't be an issue.

Really don't know how much more I can fudge salaries. Maybe Soderberg comes down a hair and Greiss stays at $3M even. The only drawback of this roster is that Bear cannot be signed long-term.

Flames use their CBO on Lucic: I've added the $750k in savings to Edmonton's cap hit to reflect that.

Corcoran, Finkelstein, and Zummack signed out of the OHL, NCAA, and WHL respectively. I'm under the impression that Corcoran and Finkelstein are not going to sign with their respective clubs. The two CHL grads will join Gruden and Rodrigue in the ECHL and Finkelstein will play for Bakersfield.

Draft:
#20. (RC) Seth Jarvis (Portland, WHL)
#46 (via CBJ). (LW) Lukas Reichel (Berlin, DEL)
#65 (via SJS). (RD) Michael Benning (Sherwood Park, AJHL)
#82. (RW) Brandon Coe (North Bay, OHL)
#98 (via ANA). (G) Jan Bednar (Sokolov, Czech2)

Larsson and the $2.8M in dead cap expiring next year is used to extend RNH with the Hayes contract, "bridge" Yamamoto for 3 years, and find a bottom-pairing RHD replacement. Kassian is sold to Seattle during expansion, and McLeod makes the roster as the #4C next season. I'd anticipate the raise in the salary cap to cover bonus overages for this season.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,200,000
2$1,650,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,600,000
2$2,900,000
4$6,125,000
2$3,375,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Corcoran, Connor
3$925,000
Finkelstein, Benjamin
3$925,000
Zummack, Eli
3$925,000
Trades
EDM
    CBO
    EDM
    1. Gáborík, Marián
    2. Gruden, Jonathan
    3. 2020 2nd round pick (CBJ)
    4. 2021 5th round pick (EDM)
    OTT
    1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
    2. Russell, Kris
    3. 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
    Additional Details:
    Edmonton agrees to pay Russell's July 1st signing bonus
    EDM
    1. 2020 3rd round pick (SJS)
    2. 2021 5th round pick (DET)
    DET
    1. Benning, Matthew [RFA Rights]
    EDM
    1. Weal, Jordan
    2. 2020 4th round pick (ANA)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$82,250,000$82,556,032$341,534$730,000-$306,032

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $4,600,000$4,600,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 5
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,375,000$3,375,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $915,000$915,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $875,000$875,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,600,000$5,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $2,900,000$2,900,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $800,000$800,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Ottawa Senators
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 1, 2020 at 7:12 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    @Copenhagen @ConnorMcHellebucyk @ConnorMcDavid97 @oilersfan55 @Oilersfan71 @CzechingOut @Mayb81 @Goilersfan1215 @Bluetomorrow83 @jassan28 @hockeyconnor97 @CD282

I don't know how else to further optimize this. This team beats the hell out of the league before asking "who's next?". Someone find Kenny Holland's email and send this to him on an hourly basis. We've earned it.
    aedoran and ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
    May 1, 2020 at 7:21 p.m.
    Brace for the Storm
    Be preprared to lose RNH tho
    May 1, 2020 at 7:23 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
    Be preprared to lose RNH tho

"Larsson and the $1.8M in dead cap expiring next year is used to extend RNH with the Hayes contract, "bridge" Yamamoto for 3 years, and find a bottom-pairing RHD replacement. Kassian is sold to Seattle during expansion, and McLeod makes the roster as the #4C next season. I'd anticipate the raise in the salary cap to cover bonus overages for this season."

Nugent-Hopkins ain't going nowhere baby. So long as Bouchard takes the right steps forward next season under this AGM, Edmonton can go find a bottom-pairing defender next season for virtually nothing.
    CD282 and ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
    May 1, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
    Brace for the Storm
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    "Larsson and the $1.8M in dead cap expiring next year is used to extend RNH with the Hayes contract, "bridge" Yamamoto for 3 years, and find a bottom-pairing RHD replacement. Kassian is sold to Seattle during expansion, and McLeod makes the roster as the #4C next season. I'd anticipate the raise in the salary cap to cover bonus overages for this season."

Nugent-Hopkins ain't going nowhere baby. So long as Bouchard takes the right steps forward next season under this AGM, Edmonton can go find a bottom-pairing defender next season for virtually nothing.

You still have Yamamoto to resign. He's asking for 4 mil
    May 1, 2020 at 7:27 p.m.
    Detroit is set at RD. Maybe just the 5th and maybe Detroit thinks about it.
    May 1, 2020 at 7:32 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
    You still have Yamamoto to resign. He's asking for 4 mil

I guess you can't count then. That fits too. Watch:

Larsson and (to be as precise as possible) the $2.783333M in dead cap space that expires at the end of this AGM's season totals to exactly $6.95M.

RNH getting bumped up to the Hayes deal costs Edmonton an extra $1.142857M. That leaves me with $5.807143M.

A bottom-pairing RHD will *conservatively* cost around $1.2M. That leaves me with $4.607143M.

Bumping Yamamoto to a $4M/3y deal leaves the Oilers with a smidge over $1.5M.

This isn't a problem. Quit making it one.
    May 1, 2020 at 7:34 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: aedoran
    Detroit is set at RD. Maybe just the 5th and maybe Detroit thinks about it.

Unless the plan is to rush Seider, Detroit is not set at RD and has three NHL-caliber defenders on their roster today. Nevermind that Benning is worth a touch more than what Demelo got. No idea how you could justify that low-ball value.
    May 1, 2020 at 7:58 p.m.
    Unless the plan is to rush Seider, Detroit is not set at RD and has three NHL-caliber defenders on their roster today. Nevermind that Benning is worth a touch more than what Demelo got. No idea how you could justify that low-ball value.

In what world is Benning worth more than DeMelo? He's worth a low 3rd the Sharks 3rd is just outside the 2nd round.

I'd say you were just a touch in favor of Edmonton for all of the trades.

Myelnk doesnt want to trade Gaborik because he can use him to count towards cap hit and insurance pays for the contract.

Take out the picks in the Ottawa trade.
    May 1, 2020 at 7:58 p.m.
    I personally like this one better then the Taylor Hall one, Hoffman will be a beast next to McDavid!! My only question is from what I have heard is Granlund doesn’t like to play with pace like McDavid does, so as much as I like him could he keep up or fit on that line with 2 players that play with speed.
    May 1, 2020 at 8:11 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
    In what world is Benning worth more than DeMelo? He's worth a low 3rd the Sharks 3rd is just outside the 2nd round.

I'd say you were just a touch in favor of Edmonton for all of the trades.

Myelnk doesnt want to trade Gaborik because he can use him to count towards cap hit and insurance pays for the contract.

Take out the picks in the Ottawa trade.

Benning is younger, comes with RFA club control, can be signed for half of what Demelo is going to make on his new deal, and maintains one of the highest GF% of all defencemen in the league over the past 3 seasons (he's 24th for reference, outperforming guys like Klingberg, Jones, and Ekholm). Demelo was traded for a mid-third round pick. Given the above, Benning is easily worth more. The third acquired for Bening is more, and the deferred 5th Round Pick is effectively nothing.

The Montreal trade comes from Montreal fans. The Ottawa trade is two trades in one, the basis for which was created by a Sens fan. These are fair deals.

The actual dollars owed to Russell after his signing bonus is paid will be less than what the Senators have to actually pay in insurance for Gaborik's deal. The Athletic just released a piece on this two days ago. It literally saves the Senators money, I don't know what else Melnyk would need. Let's break down the Senators deal: Oilers fans and Ken Holland will maintain that Jesse Puljujarvi is worth a pair of 2nd Round Picks or a high 2nd and a B-prospect. I've settled for one of Ottawa's mid-second round picks, a B-prospect, and the pick Edmonton gave up in the Ennis deal. Is that not fair, given what the ask for Puljujarvi - likely to have a higher ceiling than whoever Ottawa drafts with the Columbus pick - is? Gaborik is swapped for Russell in a deal that both teams benefit from, and Edmonton passes along a 3rd Round Pick because they're arguably getting more out of the deal than Ottawa is.
    CD282 liked this.
    May 1, 2020 at 8:14 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: Smokingun71
    I personally like this one better then the Taylor Hall one, Hoffman will be a beast next to McDavid!! My only question is from what I have heard is Granlund doesn’t like to play with pace like McDavid does, so as much as I like him could he keep up or fit on that line with 2 players that play with speed.

I don't think everyone on McDavid's line must be a burner. Maroon had cinder blocks for skates and was successful playing with McDavid. As long as one of Granlund or Hoffman is in give-a-sh*t mode on any given night, the line should be fine. Most of the time if McDavid breaks the zone with speed and doesn't have a breakaway or isn't making a play to the net, he's dropping the puck back to a trailing forward.

Granlund being the "slower" guy while likely being the most defensively-responsible of the trio probably does that line some good in its own end or during transition.
    May 1, 2020 at 8:15 p.m.
    Quoting: Smokingun71

Another option is Killorn. I think he'd be fairly cheap to acquire as Tampa is in a difficult spot cap-wise. He might even be a better fit for that line as he's better defensively.
    May 1, 2020 at 8:16 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Edited May 1, 2020 at 8:22 p.m.
    Quoting: CD282
    Another option is Killorn. I think he'd be fairly cheap to acquire as Tampa is in a difficult spot cap-wise. He might even be a better fit for that line as he's better defensively.

Nevermind that he's cheaper. Given what I have left from assets moved, how are you looking at acquiring him? Is this the part where Edmonton flips Benson?

Like how close would Cairns+Benson+21 3rd be? Borderline spot on if I've counted correctly.
    May 1, 2020 at 8:27 p.m.
    Nevermind that he's cheaper. Given what I have left from assets moved, how are you looking at acquiring him? Is this the part where Edmonton flips Benson?

Like how close would Cairns+Benson+21 3rd be? Borderline spot on if I've counted correctly.

Maybe, I haven't thought much about how you'd work it into this mock, just telling the other guy that there are options out there. He's basically the same AAV as Granlund and would be a stellar addition to a McDavid line, although I like Granlund there too. Any high IQ player is going to find success with McDavid, and Granlund certainly is that.

As an aside, a TBL fan suggested Puljujarvi for Killorn + a 3rd. Note I'm not suggesting changes to this mock - I like it - just that there are other options that could work also.
    May 1, 2020 at 8:28 p.m.
    GoCanada
    The cap is really stressful if the GM goes with this, best case is all this happens and replace Hoffman with a Sheary signing so you can bring in 2 players at minimum value to fit the 23 man roster. Goaltending is perfect, Defence is good other than a shaky 3rd pair, and offence is nice. Just don't see Hoffman AND Granlund coming in.
    May 1, 2020 at 8:40 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: CD282
    Maybe, I haven't thought much about how you'd work it into this mock, just telling the other guy that there are options out there. He's basically the same AAV as Granlund and would be a stellar addition to a McDavid line, although I like Granlund there too. Any high IQ player is going to find success with McDavid, and Granlund certainly is that.

As an aside, a TBL fan suggested Puljujarvi for Killorn + a 3rd. Note I'm not suggesting changes to this mock - I like it - just that there are other options that could work also.

I'm fine with that deal, but it means Edmonton loses out on Gruden and Reichel. I think the Gaborik deal can still go through as a standalone, but I don't really see a whole hell of a lot of added benefit for the Oilers by opting for a JP-Killorn swap when this as an option exists. I'd very much be more interested in trying a quantity-esque deal surrounding Benson as it really does this iteration of the Oilers a ton of favours.

Quoting: jassan28
    The cap is really stressful if the GM goes with this, best case is all this happens and replace Hoffman with a Sheary signing so you can bring in 2 players at minimum value to fit the 23 man roster. Goaltending is perfect, Defence is good other than a shaky 3rd pair, and offence is nice. Just don't see Hoffman AND Granlund coming in.

The point is both Granlund and Hoffman. The idea is to be one of the best offensive teams in league history.

Not sure if maxing out the 23-man roster is necessary. If someone gets hurt on short notice, Edmonton has 3 high-skill forwards capable of double-shifting. If there's notice, LTIR can be used similarly to how Toronto used it last season and Edmonton has a multitude of waiver-exempt forwards in Bakersfield that could be called on.
    CD282 liked this.
    May 1, 2020 at 8:47 p.m.
    @Copenhagen @ConnorMcHellebucyk @ConnorMcDavid97 @oilersfan55 @Oilersfan71 @CzechingOut @Mayb81 @Goilersfan1215 @Bluetomorrow83 @jassan28 @hockeyconnor97 @CD282

I don't know how else to further optimize this. This team beats the hell out of the league before asking "who's next?". Someone find Kenny Holland's email and send this to him on an hourly basis. We've earned it.

I’m just curious how your able to tag all of us in a thread like this but either way well done
    May 1, 2020 at 8:49 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: Goilersfan1215
    I’m just curious how your able to tag all of us in a thread like this but either way well done

Found the one CD282 did and copied it. Flipped my name for his.
    ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
    May 1, 2020 at 9:00 p.m.
    Found the one CD282 did and copied it. Flipped my name for his.

laugh

Nice to know I'm useful for something!
    May 1, 2020 at 10:19 p.m.
    Sabres are elite
    Sheahan? Cap wont increase so this couldn't happen. Plus Hoffman gets 7mil+ and Granlund wont sign with the team who buried his brother. Your better off getting Ennis back and signing a player like Haula for McDavids linemates
    May 1, 2020 at 10:58 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: Skyraider112
    Sheahan? Cap wont increase so this couldn't happen. Plus Hoffman gets 7mil+ and Granlund wont sign with the team who buried his brother. Your better off getting Ennis back and signing a player like Haula for McDavids linemates

The cap increase is due to Milan Lucic being CBO'd by the Flames. Thanks for reading.

There isn't a UFA that's going to see the exact dollar figure they wanted. The cap remained flat, there's no room on any team to overpay for anyone.

Are the Oilers better off signing a less than average fourth line winger to play center for them again and extending Ennis to continue to play above his head just so the cap isn't being maxed out, or are the Oilers better off shooting for the moon while they still have a few young guys on cheap contracts? You tell me.
    May 1, 2020 at 11:33 p.m.
    I love that line up. send it to Holland NOW
    May 1, 2020 at 11:47 p.m.
    Sabres are elite
    The cap increase is due to Milan Lucic being CBO'd by the Flames. Thanks for reading.

There isn't a UFA that's going to see the exact dollar figure they wanted. The cap remained flat, there's no room on any team to overpay for anyone.

Are the Oilers better off signing a less than average fourth line winger to play center for them again and extending Ennis to continue to play above his head just so the cap isn't being maxed out, or are the Oilers better off shooting for the moon while they still have a few young guys on cheap contracts? You tell me.

The Sheahan-Archibald duo was one of the main reasons the Oilers could effectively close out games. To me he is a better option than Haas, Haas can be a 13th forward. Ennis is the exact type of player you want with McDavid because he comes cheap, has enough speed and skill to keep up with Connor, and is a great forechecker. I get that we are all in quarantine and it's a bit frustrating, but it would be great if you were considerate in the way you respond to other users. No need to make cutting remarks
    May 2, 2020 at 12:40 a.m.
    Benning is younger, comes with RFA club control, can be signed for half of what Demelo is going to make on his new deal, and maintains one of the highest GF% of all defencemen in the league over the past 3 seasons (he's 24th for reference, outperforming guys like Klingberg, Jones, and Ekholm). Demelo was traded for a mid-third round pick. Given the above, Benning is easily worth more. The third acquired for Bening is more, and the deferred 5th Round Pick is effectively nothing.

The Montreal trade comes from Montreal fans. The Ottawa trade is two trades in one, the basis for which was created by a Sens fan. These are fair deals.

The actual dollars owed to Russell after his signing bonus is paid will be less than what the Senators have to actually pay in insurance for Gaborik's deal. The Athletic just released a piece on this two days ago. It literally saves the Senators money, I don't know what else Melnyk would need. Let's break down the Senators deal: Oilers fans and Ken Holland will maintain that Jesse Puljujarvi is worth a pair of 2nd Round Picks or a high 2nd and a B-prospect. I've settled for one of Ottawa's mid-second round picks, a B-prospect, and the pick Edmonton gave up in the Ennis deal. Is that not fair, given what the ask for Puljujarvi - likely to have a higher ceiling than whoever Ottawa drafts with the Columbus pick - is? Gaborik is swapped for Russell in a deal that both teams benefit from, and Edmonton passes along a 3rd Round Pick because they're arguably getting more out of the deal than Ottawa is.

DeMelo was playing top 4 minutes. Benning was playing sheltered minutes. When the Oilers tried to push him into the top 4 he struggled badly.

I dont mind taking Russell for a 3rd round pick but I wouldn't give a 2nd for Puljujarvi. Dorion isnt the best GM but hes proven hes good at drafting. I'd try to give him as many picks as possible.
    May 2, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
    Quoting: Skyraider112

I agree Hoffman gets 7M+ unless you give him 7 years.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll