Forums/Armchair-GM

Whats Next

Created by: HatterTParty
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: May 2, 2020
Published: May 2, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Full disclosure, this is purely discussion. Apologies to anyone who hates when these types of posts are on armchair (looking at you chihawk).

The discussion is who will the new president be, and for the sake of argument, who might a new new GM and head coach be and why.

For team president, while I’m not sure what his contract situation is, I would love to have Doug Wilson. I do think that his time with the Sharks should come to an end as that team has tried (and failed) to bring in a cup for over a decade. That being said, Doug Wilson is a GM I hold in very high regard. He was a great player for the hawks, he helped make the sharks what they are, and he constantly believes in taking chances to win. Sure, he hasn’t gotten the team over the finish line and his contracts are very questionable, but this is why I want him as team president. He’s very knowledgeable and will make smart hires for the organization.

For GM, this is the toughest choice for me. A number of names have come to mind and honestly I can’t find a true consensus. I have considered JBB of the Lightning and Brandon Pridham of the maple leafs. JBB comes off as more of a president for me, while I would love to have pridham if i were convinced he has confidence in running a team. Pridham is known for his knowledge of the nhl cba, since, after all, he actually helped write it. As such, Pridham is probably the smartest mind in hockey from a capology and money valuing perspective. Considering how rough our cap has been, this could prove vital. Again, I can’t come up with a genuine consensus on this one, but honestly, I’m open to anyone besides bowman right now.

As for head coach, the one name I want is Scott Sandelin. This guy is a 3x NCAA National Champion with the UMD Bulldogs. He is notorious for being able to the get very best out of his players and is a remarkable motivator. In 2018 UMD won the national title after being the bottom seed in the tournament. His ability to set game plans for his team to neutralize opponents is very evident. I know not all coaches who the jump from NCAA to NHL hockey are successful, but let’s be honest, I think it’s time the hawks clean the slate and try something new.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
27$81,500,000$72,514,186$0$7,797,500$8,985,814
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$880,833$880,833
LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 4
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 2, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
I do agree that Wilson has had some very good years as the SJS’ GM, but the contracts he gave to Vlasic, Jones, EK and Burns are terrible by every standard you cant think of
May 2, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
I do agree that Wilson has had some very good years as the SJS’ GM, but the contracts he gave to Vlasic, Jones, EK and Burns are terrible by every standard you cant think of

Absolutely right. I’d love him as team president so that the GM could be the one to give out the contracts.
May 2, 2020 at 2:33 p.m.
exo2769
Edited May 2, 2020 at 2:40 p.m.
I think they're going to separate Hockey Operations from the business side. Danny Wirtz will manage the business, but he will not get involved or have approval rights with anything to do with the players or coaches. I think they expend Stan's roles....and then put him on the hot seat immediately. IF they fire Stan then I think they reach out to Hextall. Heck no to BriseBois. Stevie Y got all those players and all JBB did was over pay Vasi and trade away a ton of picks. I say Hextall because while his ownership in Philly was getting impatient. He drafted and developed all those stud prospects. Sure, he also gave big contracts to players that didn't deserve them...kinda like Bowman, but they do have a talented team.

***EDIT*** I forgot coach. I'd try to pry Cooper away from Tampa.
HatterTParty liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 2:40 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I think they're going to separate Hockey Operations from the business side. Danny Wirtz will manage the business, but he will not get involved or have approval rights with anything to do with the players or coaches. I think they expend Stan's roles....and then put him on the hot seat immediately. IF they fire Stan then I think they reach out to Hextall. Heck no to BriseBois. Stevie Y got all those players and all JBB did was over pay Vasi and trade away a ton of picks. I say Hextall because while his ownership in Philly was getting impatient. He drafted and developed all those stud prospects. Sure, he also gave big contracts to players that didn't deserve them...kinda like Bowman, but they do have a talented team.

I don’t disagree with you anywhere. I’d prefer Pridham over JBB for sure. As for Hextall, can’t deny that he’s put a very good team together. Contracts are contracts, hextall, bowman, Wilson, they’re all guilty of it. Hextall at least built some very stable foundations for the Flyers. I will say though, the flyers are always an enigma to me. I don’t get how that team can look as decent on paper as they do and just always find a way to disappoint every year. It baffles me...

As for coach, I don’t think cooper is going anywhere. He loves Tampa, and realistically, there’s nothing Chicago can offer him from both a team and personnel standpoint to pry him away. That’s just me.
May 2, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: HatterTParty
I don’t disagree with you anywhere. I’d prefer Pridham over JBB for sure. As for Hextall, can’t deny that he’s put a very good team together. Contracts are contracts, hextall, bowman, Wilson, they’re all guilty of it. Hextall at least built some very stable foundations for the Flyers. I will say though, the flyers are always an enigma to me. I don’t get how that team can look as decent on paper as they do and just always find a way to disappoint every year. It baffles me...

I think Philly has a tremendous team. They're a bit like STL to me in that...I think they had something like 7 different goalies start games for them last year...going off memory so I could be wrong. Hart is there now and he'll get even better.
May 2, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.
I could see them going for Megan Chayka, as they have been focusing on Analytics a lot more, shes one of the biggest progressive hockey thinkers out there. As well, Chicago has been one of the starting points for getting women more involved in the NHL with Kendall Coyne, I think it would be a good fit and it would definitely bring a lot of good press to Chicago
May 2, 2020 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
I could see them going for Megan Chayka, as they have been focusing on Analytics a lot more, shes one of the biggest progressive hockey thinkers out there. As well, Chicago has been one of the starting points for getting women more involved in the NHL with Kendall Coyne, I think it would be a good fit and it would definitely bring a lot of good press to Chicago

I do like the idea of megan chayka being an AGM for us. We really need to pick up our analytics department, which is virtually non existent. Heck, if she actually impresses ownership enough, make her GM! I’m totally down for that! However, I do think that if John chayka is any indication of the OVER emphasis on analytics, we need to make sure that’s not where all the decisions are being made.
exo2769 liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 3:07 p.m.
exo2769
I do like the idea of megan chayka being an AGM for us. We really need to pick up our analytics department, which is virtually non existent. Heck, if she actually impresses ownership enough, make her GM! I’m totally down for that! However, I do think that if John chayka is any indication of the OVER emphasis on analytics, we need to make sure that’s not where all the decisions are being made.

And do a better job of developing players. He's failed pretty miserably at player development.
HatterTParty liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 3:42 p.m.

Quoting: exo2769
And do a better job of developing players. He's failed pretty miserably at player development.

I mean as President of Hockey Ops she would be nowhere near developing players. I think it would be a better spot for her than AGM, because she would be in charge of hiring the people. I dont think Chayka is really that overagressive on analytics, if any team is its Toronto. I think President of Hockey Ops would be a good spot, because as she hasnt had field experience, she would not be in charge of anything player related other than signing off on trades
May 2, 2020 at 6:08 p.m.
First, if you have not, I would quickly watch any SJS video urinatingtree did. Not that I fully agree with them (being honest I don't really know much about the team), but I do find it easier to make a decision on something if I know the pros and cons about someone or something. Because most of what I know about Doug Wilson is from those videos I will keep my opinion out of who I think the next president should be. For GM, honestly I am not a huge fan of JBB. I mean Yzerman really built the team in Tampa Bay and JBB really just inherited them. I could agree with bringing in Megan Chayaka to help out with analytics and even as a tactical decision to give Chicago some good press, however maybe as an AGM or a member of the scouting department. Call me crazy but if/when Stan is fired, I would like to see Chris Chelios act as a temporary GM or even as president. This dude is a hockey psycho who played until the age of 48. After playing he was immediately hired to a front office position by the Red Wings. Since then Chelios has also been an Assistant Coach for the WJC USA Hockey team, the Red Wings, and the 2018 USA Olympic Team. Personally I would like to see what he would do with the team over a short time span as a GM first. If it doesn’t go well then at least he could teach Megan Chayka what he knows, further making her a prime candidate to replace him. There is also the entire possibility that this move is already in the works. Sliding in replacements through the side door does seem to be a common theme for this organization. Remember when Joel Quenneville was hired as a “scout”? If Chelios was going to be president the announcement would have been made by now so I really see him more as GM. He knows how to develop players, know how the front office works, has coaching experience, and scouting experience. As for coaching, I couldn't agree more. I hate Colliton with a passion but there was one thing I think they did right by promoting him, bringing in a fresh face. He had no experience as a NHL coach and wasn’t a recycled coach from a different team. Although Scott Sandelin has no NHL coaching experience either, Colliton is nowhere close to his level.

Edit: Sorry for the large paragraph
HatterTParty liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 6:26 p.m.
I don't hate these kinds of posts, the posts you right with half glass empty about everything and the rambling especially around Dach is the ones that get tiring.

I'm not sure on Doug Wilson. Wilson has put the Sharks into a bad situation with their cap handing out similar Seabrook contracts that are just starting to come back and haunt them. That is the big minus against Wilson. Couture, Burns, Vlasic, Karlsson...these contracts are going to be looking pretty bad in a another 2 to 3 seasons.
HatterTParty liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 8:19 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
I don't hate these kinds of posts, the posts you right with half glass empty about everything and the rambling especially around Dach is the ones that get tiring.

I'm not sure on Doug Wilson. Wilson has put the Sharks into a bad situation with their cap handing out similar Seabrook contracts that are just starting to come back and haunt them. That is the big minus against Wilson. Couture, Burns, Vlasic, Karlsson...these contracts are going to be looking pretty bad in a another 2 to 3 seasons.

True, but it’s fair to point out that while the president gets a say, I at least trust Doug Wilson to know his role. As long as he has no say in contract talks. I at least trust him as a hockey mind. Guy has done it all and seen it all. I think he’s trustworthy in terms of appointing the right people.
May 2, 2020 at 8:25 p.m.
Quoting: hockeyfan78
First, if you have not, I would quickly watch any SJS video urinatingtree did. Not that I fully agree with them (being honest I don't really know much about the team), but I do find it easier to make a decision on something if I know the pros and cons about someone or something. Because most of what I know about Doug Wilson is from those videos I will keep my opinion out of who I think the next president should be. For GM, honestly I am not a huge fan of JBB. I mean Yzerman really built the team in Tampa Bay and JBB really just inherited them. I could agree with bringing in Megan Chayaka to help out with analytics and even as a tactical decision to give Chicago some good press, however maybe as an AGM or a member of the scouting department. Call me crazy but if/when Stan is fired, I would like to see Chris Chelios act as a temporary GM or even as president. This dude is a hockey psycho who played until the age of 48. After playing he was immediately hired to a front office position by the Red Wings. Since then Chelios has also been an Assistant Coach for the WJC USA Hockey team, the Red Wings, and the 2018 USA Olympic Team. Personally I would like to see what he would do with the team over a short time span as a GM first. If it doesn’t go well then at least he could teach Megan Chayka what he knows, further making her a prime candidate to replace him. There is also the entire possibility that this move is already in the works. Sliding in replacements through the side door does seem to be a common theme for this organization. Remember when Joel Quenneville was hired as a “scout”? If Chelios was going to be president the announcement would have been made by now so I really see him more as GM. He knows how to develop players, know how the front office works, has coaching experience, and scouting experience. As for coaching, I couldn't agree more. I hate Colliton with a passion but there was one thing I think they did right by promoting him, bringing in a fresh face. He had no experience as a NHL coach and wasn’t a recycled coach from a different team. Although Scott Sandelin has no NHL coaching experience either, Colliton is nowhere close to his level.

Edit: Sorry for the large paragraph

No need to apologize! Good information.

I do love urinating tree a lot! I get all that he says and there is plenty of merit. Reason I like Wilson in the president role is because he doesn’t need to sign any contracts, he just needs to put the right people in the right roles. I agree Yzerman made the Lightning, not JBB, which is why I lean more towards Brandon Pridham instead. Guy knows the CBA front back and sideways. It would be nice to have a “mind” like Megan Chayka as AGM, cuz he clearly has experience evaluating talent. Finally, I love Scott Sandelin, and I would be over the moon if the hawks went after him.
hockeyfan78 liked this.
May 3, 2020 at 6:57 p.m.
No need to apologize! Good information.

I do love urinating tree a lot! I get all that he says and there is plenty of merit. Reason I like Wilson in the president role is because he doesn’t need to sign any contracts, he just needs to put the right people in the right roles. I agree Yzerman made the Lightning, not JBB, which is why I lean more towards Brandon Pridham instead. Guy knows the CBA front back and sideways. It would be nice to have a “mind” like Megan Chayka as AGM, cuz he clearly has experience evaluating talent. Finally, I love Scott Sandelin, and I would be over the moon if the hawks went after him.

Ditto

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll