SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

My take on Bergevin

Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 2, 2020
Published: May 2, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I actually think he is an underrated GM and has had some very good moments as the Habs' GM. I mean, he fleeced EDM in the Petry trade, same with Nashville with the Weber trade, got Domi for a bust in Galchenyuk, got a very fair return for Pactioretty (MTL won the trade IMO)...

BUT, since he was hired in 2012, MTL only won 3 playoff rounds. MTL fans keep saying that they would've beaten us if Price hadn't got injured, but that's not an argument. History will never tell the full story.

That fact is that every time Bergevin needed to make a big move that would possibly allow MTL to really take that next step, he never made it. Never wanted to trade big amounts of picks to go all in. In 2015, getting Petry to shore up the D-core was the right thing to do, but the offense was lacking depth and we saw that against Tampa. In 2017 MTL has a good D structure but no one at C, Plekanec being a shell of his former self and Danault being a 3C at that time. Bergevin needed to add a true top 6C but it seems he never tried to do that. He only got useless players like Ott, King and gave up Andrighetto for Martinsen.

If there were accountability within the MTL Habs organization, Bergevin would be relieved of duties ASAP.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
17$81,500,000$60,467,142$0$425,000$21,032,858
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$763,333$763,333
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 2, 2020 at 7:36 p.m.
Easier said than done getting a top centerman. The only ones who do become available usually have some pretty big question marks attached (usually pending UFA or over 30 with too much term left). You're also competing with at least half a dozen other teams who have the same needs.

The only other alternative is drafting them or spending quite a bit on someone who might get there but isn't yet.

Smart GMs don't give up good centerman unless they are fleecing the other team.
Roviet_Sussia liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 7:36 p.m.
Roviet_Sussia
I saw Charlie Roumeliotis mention him as a potential President for CHI if MTL feel they haven't gone far enough with him. Still don't know how to feel if that were to happen.
May 2, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I mean, the center problem is almost fixed with Suzuki/KK/Danault/Domi. The habs were slowed down mostly by Timmins and Lefebvre, Bergevin has made some questionable trades but he's never been that much of an issue
May 2, 2020 at 7:52 p.m.
Banned
@KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Just to gave you a update on the situation. Montreal where each season in the mix but everything have started to sink when he decided to part ways with Andrei Markov and replace him with Alzner. That year Emelin left to and pur left side was completely trash without Markov. Then Price got hurt and Montreal started to sink. The last 4 years he have been repairing is mistake. He traded Sergachev that same year without having any prospect on the left side. This was a very tough year for him. He made bad move over bad move but that was probably the only year that he made poor decision. The fact that those decision have been so bad that we still pay for it.
May 2, 2020 at 8:06 p.m.
This dude was in the same boat as Chiarelli two years ago and was considered one of the worst GMs in the league who should be fired immediately. Really goes to show how the people who are actually GMs know more than we do and how many ups and downs GMs go through
El_Yogi and markmws liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 8:24 p.m.
The Pacioretty trade was pretty huge, and hes been good recently. I think he's got 2 seasons left to make that "big move" you're talking about, because thats probably when they contend again. I think if the Alzner signing worked out, that wouldve been huge, but thats a really trash contract. I think the main **** he's gotten was for Alzner and the Weber trade, but now that Subban is kinda garbo and cap space isnt a big issue for another year, the storms have been pretty quiet. At first I thought Galchenyuk was gonna thrive in Arizona after a change in scenery, but thats what happened to Domi instead. All in all, hes good but not great, and he definitely has something to prove but I wouldnt be surprised if he is allowed to captain the ship all the way until contention
markmws liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 8:32 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: SlickWilly
The Pacioretty trade was pretty huge, and hes been good recently. I think he's got 2 seasons left to make that "big move" you're talking about, because thats probably when they contend again. I think if the Alzner signing worked out, that wouldve been huge, but thats a really trash contract. I think the main **** he's gotten was for Alzner and the Weber trade, but now that Subban is kinda garbo and cap space isnt a big issue for another year, the storms have been pretty quiet. At first I thought Galchenyuk was gonna thrive in Arizona after a change in scenery, but thats what happened to Domi instead. All in all, hes good but not great, and he definitely has something to prove but I wouldnt be surprised if he is allowed to captain the ship all the way until contention

His trades are all questionable at first but he's proving us wrong almost every time. Most people were so mad when he traded Weise to Chicago but we got an very good top 6 defensive center and Alexander freaking Romanov. Same with the Pacioretty trade, Subban trade and Galchenyuk trade
markmws liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 8:34 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: SevenLeg
His trades are all questionable at first but he's proving us wrong almost every time. Most people were so mad when he traded Weise to Chicago but we got an very good top 6 defensive center and Alexander freaking Romanov. Same with the Pacioretty trade, Subban trade and Galchenyuk trade

From the moment MB made the Weber-Subban trade I KNEW MTL won the trade... never thought it would look like this tho
markmws liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 8:46 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
From the moment MB made the Weber-Subban trade I KNEW MTL won the trade... never thought it would look like this tho

It looked pretty even at first but most of us knew that Weber would age better than Subban
Ça avait l'air égal au début mais la plupart d'entre nous savions qu'il était préférable d'avoir un Weber vieillissant qu'un Subban vieillissant
May 2, 2020 at 8:58 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
It looked pretty even at first but most of us knew that Weber would age better than Subban
Ça avait l'air égal au début mais la plupart d'entre nous savions qu'il était préférable d'avoir un Weber vieillissant qu'un Subban vieillissant

Exactly
Exactement
SevenLeg liked this.
May 2, 2020 at 9:48 p.m.

Eh I think as soon as that trade hit most people in Chicago knew we got fleeced. The pacioretty trade was pretty even at first, but whatever you guys can flip Tatar for (assumingly) is gonna make it that much better.
May 2, 2020 at 11:10 p.m.
I agree. He’s made some good moves but has never been able to make his team a true contender. They’re forever a bubble team
May 3, 2020 at 10:11 a.m.
Subbanator
I think people fail to remember that he got handed a rebuilding team and was planning on continuing that before the emergence of Price into a true star and Subban hitting his prime years. They took Galchenyuk 3rd overall and were planning on being another lottery team the following couple years because thier cupboards were dry from Gainey.

If Price had of stayed an average goalie and Subban had of stayed in that 30-40 point range they would have been a lottery team again, instead Price goes on his 3 year run as the best goalie in the league and Subban becomes a Norris contender putting up over 50 points, pair that with a suddenly weak Atlantic division and you have a team that's actually not really that good but is putting up 100 point seasons and winning the division.

Bergevin wanted to start with a rebuilding team, get that 2012 3rd overall, lose the next season and get another lottery pick, and then try to contend. He knew they had nothing in line for prospects and that's why when they were contending they had no actual pieces to trade for a player to put them over the hump.

Now they're back to a lottery team and you're seeing what Bergevin probably wanted to do 7 years ago and with enough time hopefully it works out.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll