Forums/Armchair-GM

Draft Day Trade w the Sabres

Created by: Wadejos123
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: May 13, 2020
Published: May 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Blackhawks Select Lucas Raymond. This makes our offense amazing. I would be willing to add to the trade is we have to. Only problem I see is Raymond being taken earlier by the Ducks or Devils.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,750,000
2$4,250,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Raymond, Lucas
3$925,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Mittelstadt, Casey [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 1st round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
7th Overall
BUF
  1. Strome, Dylan
  2. 2020 1st round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
9th Overall
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$63,743,597$1,090,244$4,365,000$17,756,403
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Raymond, Lucas
$925,000$925,000
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833
LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 13, 2020 at 9:08 a.m.
exo2769
As a Hawks fan, I don't want this. As much as I think Raymond is the talent and position we need and I do think he'd be great there....Casey's just a lot more of a fall vs two draft slots. and I think Raymond will already have been drafted.
May 13, 2020 at 9:12 a.m.
As enticing as it is, I think that if the sabres have the ability to take Raymond at 7 then they would be stupid not to.

Edit: Casey is in a similar boat to Strome two years ago so he's still got time.
May 13, 2020 at 9:14 a.m.
Banned
I doubt Raymond falls to #7 Depending how it goes if Detroit still gets #4 i see them taking either Raymond, Rossi or Drysdale. Seeing that Yzerman always seems to draft out of the box. Taking Askarov at #4 wouldn't surprise me either.
exo2769 liked this.
May 13, 2020 at 9:21 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
I doubt Raymond falls to #7 Depending how it goes if Detroit still gets #4 i see them taking either Raymond, Rossi or Drysdale. Seeing that Yzerman always seems to draft out of the box. Taking Askarov at #4 wouldn't surprise me either.

Stevie Y plays the long game. It's why TBL is stacked and DRW are going to be good in the future. If DET got the #4 somehow (pretty hard i thought) I could 100% see him drafting Askarov. It'll unfortunately be another tank year next year, but he's sticking to the plan. Winning the cup even if it takes 5+ more years. And they will win it with him as the GM.
and 1 other person liked this.
May 13, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
Quoting: exo2769
As a Hawks fan, I don't want this. As much as I think Raymond is the talent and position we need and I do think he'd be great there....Casey's just a lot more of a fall vs two draft slots. and I think Raymond will already have been drafted.

I agree, however, if Dach can really step up as the 2C like his 3rd OA draft position says he should, then Strome is easily expendable. I think Raymond would be incredible on this team, especially on the same line as Kane. There definitely is an argument that he will be gone by 7th, I wanted to move up higher but just didn't see Anaheim at 5 or the Devils at 6 as teams that would want Strome. In my opinion its worth the Strome to Middlestat downgrade to upgrade from a Lundell type player to Raymond. Lundell is a less skilled Dach. Askarov is in play at 9th as well but I would take Raymond over him any day. Crow is 1 concussion away from being done, I'mnot sure we have the time to wait for Askarov to develop unless we think Delia or Lankinen can be 40ish games a year type of goalies in the meantime.
exo2769 liked this.
May 13, 2020 at 9:35 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Wadejos123
I agree, however, if Dach can really step up as the 2C like his 3rd OA draft position says he should, then Strome is easily expendable. I think Raymond would be incredible on this team, especially on the same line as Kane. There definitely is an argument that he will be gone by 7th, I wanted to move up higher but just didn't see Anaheim at 5 or the Devils at 6 as teams that would want Strome. In my opinion its worth the Strome to Middlestat downgrade to upgrade from a Lundell type player to Raymond. Lundell is a less skilled Dach. Askarov is in play at 9th as well but I would take Raymond over him any day. Crow is 1 concussion away from being done, I'mnot sure we have the time to wait for Askarov to develop unless we think Delia or Lankinen can be 40ish games a year type of goalies in the meantime.

This is a fair point of view. I'm curious is a Strome trade is out there for a true scoring winger. I'm not opposed to drafting Lundell. I'm just a big fan of a sound 2-way game, his floor is probably higher than anyone not named ALaf. With pick #9 that's not the worst strategy. If the Hawks draft Askarov, I wouldn't be upset, but you're 100% correct. He's not the solution for the next 2-3 years. Sign Crow and I would try to sign a veteran like Talbot and play a tandem system. The cap depression should get a veteran to understand that ice time is more important than 1 year. Go get a big contract next year when the world looks more normal.
May 13, 2020 at 9:58 a.m.
This is a fair point of view. I'm curious is a Strome trade is out there for a true scoring winger. I'm not opposed to drafting Lundell. I'm just a big fan of a sound 2-way game, his floor is probably higher than anyone not named ALaf. With pick #9 that's not the worst strategy. If the Hawks draft Askarov, I wouldn't be upset, but you're 100% correct. He's not the solution for the next 2-3 years. Sign Crow and I would try to sign a veteran like Talbot and play a tandem system. The cap depression should get a veteran to understand that ice time is more important than 1 year. Go get a big contract next year when the world looks more normal.

Definitely. I like Lundell but we pretty much already have that in Dach and I think all of the 8 guys that are supposed to go ahead of him could help us a lot more down the road. We already have Toews and Dach which are both the same two way centers that Lundell is. It doesn't hurt to add other one, but i would prefer someone with more pure scoring ability
exo2769 and SociallyHawkward liked this.
May 13, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.

Quoting: wojme
As enticing as it is, I think that if the sabres have the ability to take Raymond at 7 then they would be stupid not to.

Edit: Casey is in a similar boat to Strome two years ago so he's still got time.

Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58

Stevie Y plays the long game. It's why TBL is stacked and DRW are going to be good in the future. If DET got the #4 somehow (pretty hard i thought) I could 100% see him drafting Askarov. It'll unfortunately be another tank year next year, but he's sticking to the plan. Winning the cup even if it takes 5+ more years. And they will win it with him as the GM.

Quoting: Wadejos123
Definitely. I like Lundell but we pretty much already have that in Dach and I think all of the 8 guys that are supposed to go ahead of him could help us a lot more down the road. We already have Toews and Dach which are both the same two way centers that Lundell is. It doesn't hurt to add other one, but i would prefer someone with more pure scoring ability

OK, I am an idiot to challenge everyone, but if Mittelstadt was not part of the deal, I still would not make that trade, and I do not think Casey is very good.
May 13, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
OK, I am an idiot to challenge everyone, but if Mittelstadt was not part of the deal, I still would not make that trade, and I do not think Casey is very good.

Neither was Strome a few years ago
May 13, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: wojme
Neither was Strome a few years ago

But that is my point, Strome is not enough to get me to move down from 7th to 9th. Then I have to include Mittelstadt? The trade makes no sense. I have to give up on a 7th over all player to take a meh Strome to move back two spots.
I think you missed my point, adding Mittelstadt totally kills the deal was my point, and you seemed to have focused on my off hand comment of how little I value Mittelstadt.
wojme liked this.
May 13, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
exo2769
Edited May 13, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
But that is my point, Strome is not enough to get me to move down from 7th to 9th. Then I have to include Mittelstadt? The trade makes no sense. I have to give up on a 7th over all player to take a meh Strome to move back two spots.
I think you missed my point, adding Mittelstadt totally kills the deal was my point, and you seemed to have focused on my off hand comment of how little I value Mittelstadt.

He was a .88ppg player with the Hawks before the idiots upstairs thought Strome was a winger. That was the dumbest move I've seen since the Hawks thought Kane was a center in 2011/2012. DStrome is a true center. The irony about this being a BUF trade is that the closest comp Strome is to any prospect out there...is another kid named Dylan...Cozens. Their progressing is at darn near identical rates. The differences are home town biases on both fronts.

Two spots in this draft doesn't mean a whole lot. The tier drop off by a lot of accounts is pick #10...where the Lundell/Askarov. A completely different way of looking at it is draft analytics...Link below that's a bit dated to be perfectly honest, but I'll even skew the analytics to your favor...4.6 is the delta to drop from 7 to 9...Let's make it 5 even...which means approx. pick #50...mid to lower-mid 2nd round pick if we're stretching it. Strome's 100% better than a mid to lower-mid 2nd round pick. I'm not so sure Mittelstadt is worth a 2nd round pick at this point. I mean his AHL numbers aren't even really that impressive.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up
gretzkyghosts liked this.
May 13, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.
He was a .88ppg player with the Hawks before the idiots upstairs thought Strome was a winger. That was the dumbest move I've seen since the Hawks thought Kane was a center in 2011/2012. DStrome is a true center. The irony about this being a BUF trade is that the closest comp Strome is to any prospect out there...is another kid named Dylan...Cozens. Their progressing is darn near identical rates. The differences are home town biases on both fronts.

Two spots in this draft doesn't mean a whole lot. Their tier drop off by most a lot of accounts is pick #10...where the Lundell/Askarov. A completely different way of looking at it is draft analytics...Link below that's a bit dated to be perfectly honest, but I'll even skew the analytics to your favor...4.6 is the delta to drop from 7 to 9...Let's make it 5 even...which means approx. pick #50...mid to lower 2nd round pick. Strome's 100% better than a mid to lower 2nd round pick. I'm not so sure Mittelstadt is worth a 2nd round pick at this point. I mean his AHL numbers aren't even really that impressive.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

Great comment, well thought out and constructive. Much better than most.
Thank you for the links, I love to look at this sort of stuff. That is exactly the one I was looking at to determine if this was a good deal. This was giving the value of a late a late 2nd round pick (I think the 55th) to Strome without adding Mittelstadt which no matter what our opinion of Casey may be it makes it a better pick probably like an early 2nd or even a late first.
Let's be honest here, GM's give different values to players. For example Bowman thought Nylander was more valuable than Jokiharju, maybe he would think Mittelstadt's future is more valuable than Strome current value? I just do not know, Does this make sense?
I have not read much about this draft and how deep it is. If this was the 2017 draft (Mittelstadt's), I would make this trade without question. I do not know much about the talent of the 2020 draft.
Ok, let's agree that this deal is close to fair, and maybe it is perfect for the Sabres to get a 2nd line center and give Cozens a chance to develop in the minors.
So what is the current value of Strome? A late second, hard to tell, IDK, but having the 7th over all v the 9th over all seems to be more than the value of Strome to me.
Would you make the trade with out Mittelstadt going to the Hawks?
exo2769 liked this.
May 13, 2020 at 3:21 p.m.
Thank you for the links, I love to look at this sort of stuff. That is exactly the one I was looking at to determine if this was a good deal. This was giving the value of a late a late 2nd round pick (I think the 55th) to Strome without adding Mittelstadt which no matter what our opinion of Casey may be it makes it a better pick probably like an early 2nd or even a late first.
Let's be honest here, GM's give different values to players. For example Bowman thought Nylander was more valuable than Jokiharju, maybe he would think Mittelstadt's future is more valuable than Strome current value? I just do not know, Does this make sense?
I have not read much about this draft and how deep it is. If this was the 2017 draft (Mittelstadt's), I would make this trade without question. I do not know much about the talent of the 2020 draft.
Ok, let's agree that this deal is close to fair, and maybe it is perfect for the Sabres to get a 2nd line center and give Cozens a chance to develop in the minors.
So what is the current value of Strome? A late second, hard to tell, IDK, but having the 7th over all v the 9th over all seems to be more than the value of Strome to me.

Strome is worth a 1st round pick easily. Not sure about Middlestat. No way Chicago makes the deal without middlestat coming back. This deal might be an overpay for the Hawks to just move up 2 spots. We could move Strome to another team for a late 1st+ easily.
May 13, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
exo2769
Edited May 13, 2020 at 5:37 p.m.

Great convo FOR SURE! I always appreciate a quality hockey conversation especially during this pandemic. I'm going stir crazy!

I'm saying that if I look at the roster above. Casey's next to Debrincat which is exactly where I'd have Strome. But Strome and the Cat already have tremendous chemistry together. They're roommates...played together in Erie...play together with the Hawks. Let's just tell upper management that Stromes actually a center...not a winger. So this swap out of Strome for Mittelstadt is a pretty tough pill to take. AND while draft analytics are important, we can't ignore the "eye test" either. They need to be factored in together. I would be very happy with Lundell,Askarov,Holtz,Raymond...any of those guys. I don't think moving up to #7 makes a difference.

So no, I would not make the trade even with Mittelstadt included.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
May 14, 2020 at 10:24 a.m.
FireStan
Casey Middlestadt sucks and is a far inferior player than Strome. Strome will be signed to a bridge deal or traded for a top 6 winger or defenseman.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll