SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Let's check Montreal's draft.

Let's check Montreal's draft.

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: ColonelX
Published: May 15, 2020 at 1:43 p.m.
Description
I'm taking a look at this year's draft from Montreal's point of view. Won't do research on every team needs so I've taken the mock rankings off draftsite's latest mock and rearranged Montreal's pick only (Made some personnal notes aside as well). If you read this please put the word -pinneaple- somewhere in your replies so I know you understand that those are not my rankings and that I'm solely making research for my home team. Thank you.
---------
Couldn't do the third round but these would be my targets for Montreal.
-Bodgan Treneyev: A big right winger that plays the power forward game and if he's allowed time to develop his skating issues he'll most likely become a middle six winger that the team will love. Low risk but long term project, Bogdan also needs time to fill out his big frame. If he pans out would I dare saying he could become a Lucic kind of player? If he falls flat he could very well be McCarron number two in town.

-Jack Finley: At this point of the draft I think you can go out and take one of the youngest prospect in this year's draft without risking too much. A monster of 6'5"/207lbs at only 17 he could very well be a third round gem, he mainly projects -and used at Spokane- as a shutdown center you can put on the ice late in the game with the lead altought he was still able to produce close to a ppg, so he does have some offensive upside in his game. Could become an Adam Lowry/ Brian Boyle kind of player.
(Bonus points he's right handed)
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Whoever gets him please prepare enough jerseys and fast.
2Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose Sharks
4Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
8Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-If Raymond's available at 8OA Montreal takes him and we'll see the same smile that Bergevin's had last year when Caufield fell to them. The Habs get one of the most complete forward in this year's draft and a guy that plays with the same spark/energy that I see in Gallagher, he isn't the biggest but he checks out all the other boxes. Being able to play on both sides of the ice makes him a versatile threat that could be used anywhere on a powerplay unit. Runner up: I don't know how you'd pass on Raymond but Quinn or Holloway would be my darkhorse at this spot.
9Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
10Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona Coyotes
11Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Some rankings are off.
12Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Winnipeg
13Logo of the Nashville Predators-NY Rangers Low key my favorite player in the top 15 outside the Big8.
14Logo of the Florida Panthers-
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-Columbus
16Logo of the New York Rangers-Calgary
17Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-New Jersey from Vancouver trought Tampa Bay
18Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York Islanders
19Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsEdmonton If I had to place a bet he'll be the faller this year. Too many injuries in a deep draft, could see him go lower than 25 but talent wise is top 12.
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina HurricanesOttawa from NY Islanders
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-NY Rangers from Carolina
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Minnesota from Pittsburgh
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsPhiladelphia
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-San Jose from Tampa Bay
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsThick Jake would fit in perfectly in Boston, sad that they traded this pick.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
33Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
34Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
35Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
36Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
37Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the New Jersey Devils
Alex Cotton
38Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
39Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal's been going for long term project defensemans in consecutive years (Romanov, Struble) and they keep the tradition alive by selecting either Wallinder or Topi Niemela, the latter fits a team long term need but Wiliam's skating/size/puck control combo would be hard to ignore at this spot for Montreal. (Third runner: Wiliam Villeneuve)
40Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksAfter finding a gem in the first round, Montreal doubles down on wingers but this time they go with a big one. Cuylle's toolbox is very well equipped but the biggest knock on him is the consistency, he's a long term project with boom or bust potential but if he reaches his ceiling he's a top 6 forward. Runner up: Luke Tuch. The younger of the Tuch's brothers would be a safer pick here but the reward is also lower, he projects to become a steady middle six winger comparable to Alex.
41Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Draft Pick Forfeited
42Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
43Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
44Logo of the Nashville Predators-
45Logo of the Florida Panthers-
46Logo of the Calgary Flames-
47Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York Rangers
48Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
49Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York Islanders
50Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
51Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-
52Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
53Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Dallas Stars
54Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
55Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
56Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
57Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
58Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington Capitals
59Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
Evgeni Oxentyuk
60Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
61Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the St. Louis BluesCormier is the definition of a new-age defenceman. If he's there at the 2-3 round turn there's no way he fells further, his elite shot and great hockey IQ makes him a solid pick for Montreal. There's no runner up here.
62Logo of the Boston Bruins-
May 15, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
Lol. NJ isn't passing on Raymond, neither is Buffalo.
May 15, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Pineapple pizza?
Raymond is a fantastic player but how does he fit here? U have stacked your first line but will have trouble with ur second line. Just my thought.wont jump out a window if we get him.
I’d hate to pass on foerster in round two. He’s got one hell of a shot and almost zero chance Wallinder is there.
I’d look hard at Emil heineman. Fast, energy guy who can hit and has some offensive talent
May 15, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: zyyyp

You’d be okay with nj passing on holtz?
May 15, 2020 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: Howisbergevinstillhere
You’d be okay with nj passing on holtz?

if Raymond was on the board, yes. Holtz would be great but I like Raymond better
May 15, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
Pinapple...
with your mock, i'll pick Raymond, but I think that he'll not available, maybe Perfetti or Holtz or Rossi, Rossi is small, he's not what MTL need but I think if he's available, it will be a big mistake to pass on him.
Wallinder and Cormier should be not available at these spots. Cormier at 39 is a good pick, at 40 i'll take Will Villeneuve, he's so reliable and efficent
Leemer liked this.
May 15, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: yanp007
Pinapple...
with your mock, i'll pick Raymond, but I think that he'll not available, maybe Perfetti or Holtz or Rossi, Rossi is small, he's not what MTL need but I think if he's available, it will be a big mistake to pass on him.
Wallinder and Cormier should be not available at these spots. Cormier at 39 is a good pick, at 40 i'll take Will Villeneuve, he's so reliable and efficent

Based on what we know about drafts I think he’ll be available if that who u want. Take top 3 as laf, byfield and stutzle. That leaves 4-8 with the following g.
One centre (Rossi)
One d (drysdale)
And 3 winger (Perfetti,holtz and Raymond)
The centre and the d will be the most wanted cuz that’s how hockey works. Then u have Perfetti who torched the Hlinka and the ohl so he has the name and proximity. The euros tend to fall. That leaves u with holtz. To me one of buffalo or nj will take him as the ‘best’ goal scorer. That would leave mtl with Raymond or Quinn.
May 15, 2020 at 2:35 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
TBH i think we trade up for Holtz if we can't get raymond
May 15, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: zyyyp

Where's my pinneaple?
Raymond is a fantastic player but how does he fit here? U have stacked your first line but will have trouble with ur second line. Just my thought.wont jump out a window if we get him.
I’d hate to pass on foerster in round two. He’s got one hell of a shot and almost zero chance Wallinder is there.
I’d look hard at Emil heineman. Fast, energy guy who can hit and has some offensive talent

As mentionned I went with the list but I agree the chances of seeing Wallinder there are slim and the only thing that worries me about Foerster is that he needs proper development. In Montreal we know that's always been an issue in the past (We can even point out the KK situation as a recent situation in his rookie year) so are you putting everything in Bouchard's hands and let him do his best or you take safer guys like Cuylle or Tuch? Otherwise if you take Foerster and rush him there's a 100% chance he bust.
Emil heineman- Interesting guy indeed. I usually don't like prospects that all the way up to mid-draft season are unranked and then flies up the boards ... I don't like hype because it makes you do stupid stuff sometimes.

Comme j'ai expliqué j'y suis allé avec le board qu'ils avaient. Comme l'autre gars as dit c'est pas impossible que Raymond drop à 8 et même s'il n'est pas aussi explosif que les autres il me rappel beaucoup trop Gallagher avec sa hargne et son attitude pour que je passe à côté. Je suis d'accord que les défenseurs sont assez bas mais comme tu dis je dirais pas non à prendre Cormier à 39-40 mais j'irais pas back to back avec des défenseurs parce qu'avec la quantité qu'on as déjà dans le pipeline c'est comme remplir sa tasse de café déjà pleine. On as un trou dans les prospect en LW qui faut pas oublier alors si Tatar, Drouin ou Domi s'en vont on as personne en vu qui peux être top 6. Aussi Villeneuve faut savoir qu'il jouais avec Poirier alors est-ce qu'il va être aussi bon avec défenseur qui n'est pas un first round talent? C'est un gamble.
May 15, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: MaxDomi13
TBH i think we trade up for Holtz if we can't get raymond

Two things,
Trade up to which spot?
Secondly he is overrated. He’s has a legit shot but that’s it. He has stone hands and doesn’t like to get the ‘dirty’ goals, he’s a perimeter sniper.
math731 liked this.
May 15, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
Where's my pinneaple?

As mentionned I went with the list but I agree the chances of seeing Wallinder there are slim and the only thing that worries me about Foerster is that he needs proper development. In Montreal we know that's always been an issue in the past (We can even point out the KK situation as a recent situation in his rookie year) so are you putting everything in Bouchard's hands and let him do his best or you take safer guys like Cuylle or Tuch? Otherwise if you take Foerster and rush him there's a 100% chance he bust.
Emil heineman- Interesting guy indeed. I usually don't like prospects that all the way up to mid-draft season are unranked and then flies up the boards ... I don't like hype because it makes you do stupid stuff sometimes.

Comme j'ai expliqué j'y suis allé avec le board qu'ils avaient. Comme l'autre gars as dit c'est pas impossible que Raymond drop à 8 et même s'il n'est pas aussi explosif que les autres il me rappel beaucoup trop Gallagher avec sa hargne et son attitude pour que je passe à côté. Je suis d'accord que les défenseurs sont assez bas mais comme tu dis je dirais pas non à prendre Cormier à 39-40 mais j'irais pas back to back avec des défenseurs parce qu'avec la quantité qu'on as déjà dans le pipeline c'est comme remplir sa tasse de café déjà pleine. On as un trou dans les prospect en LW qui faut pas oublier alors si Tatar, Drouin ou Domi s'en vont on as personne en vu qui peux être top 6. Aussi Villeneuve faut savoir qu'il jouais avec Poirier alors est-ce qu'il va être aussi bon avec défenseur qui n'est pas un first round talent? C'est un gamble.

Kotkaniemi was on Claude and bergevin. Joel Bouchard is a good coach and can develop talent, u could always send guys back to their juniors team. Heineman is the type of guy where even if he doesn’t put up huge numbers is irreplaceable. He has speed, loves to pressure the other team, is strong and likes to play physical. Cuylle is nice cuz he can throw his body around but has half the skill of foerster. To me with a shot like that he’ll be able to freaking score. Even if he’s an average second liner who can score on the pp
May 15, 2020 at 3:27 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
Pinapple...

I'm on side with this, after the big 4 Drysdale included, I still like either one of Holtz, Perfetti, Raymond in that order and could trust the Mtl scout team if they feel Rossi is better over Quinn (although I am not so sure and would explore a trade back). Lundell is just satisfactory for me, and Sanderson I feel is overrated.
For round 2 39 & 40 - I doubt Wallinder falls - I would love Foerster to be in this mix, I think Jake Neighbours falls to this level and even Jeremie Poirier Ryan O'Rourke may fall (steady eddy)- should think about trading some of these picks up
#61 - Lukas Cormier agree but a lot of people like Antonio Stranges
May 15, 2020 at 3:41 p.m.
Quoting: Leemer
I'm on side with this, after the big 4 Drysdale included, I still like either one of Holtz, Perfetti, Raymond in that order and could trust the Mtl scout team if they feel Rossi is better over Quinn (although I am not so sure and would explore a trade back). Lundell is just satisfactory for me, and Sanderson I feel is overrated.
For round 2 39 & 40 - I doubt Wallinder falls - I would love Foerster to be in this mix, I think Jake Neighbours falls to this level and even Jeremie Poirier Ryan O'Rourke may fall (steady eddy)- should think about trading some of these picks up
#61 - Lukas Cormier agree but a lot of people like Antonio Stranges

In the second round what is your goal?
Absolute talent? High ceiling? Complete player?
Leemer liked this.
May 15, 2020 at 5:44 p.m.
I can't speak for the other teams but you knew what Detroit needed and drafted accordingly. Good Job!
May 15, 2020 at 6:11 p.m.
Zuke is the goat
Two things,
Trade up to which spot?
Secondly he is overrated. He’s has a legit shot but that’s it. He has stone hands and doesn’t like to get the ‘dirty’ goals, he’s a perimeter sniper.

Agree on Holtz. Out of the 8 top guys, I hope he isnt the one who fall to us. You know my guy... Lucas Raymond would be amazing but any of Perfetti, Rossi or Drysdale if he falls would be great
May 15, 2020 at 6:24 p.m.
Quoting: math731
Agree on Holtz. Out of the 8 top guys, I hope he isnt the one who fall to us. You know my guy... Lucas Raymond would be amazing but any of Perfetti, Rossi or Drysdale if he falls would be great

Just based on my thoughts it’s between Raymond and Quinn. Rossi and drysdale will go cuz of their position, then Perfetti due to his torching of the ohl, and Hlinka. Also he’s from the ohl and euros usually fall. Then holtz cuz he’s the ‘best’ sniper. Just my thoughts
math731 liked this.
May 15, 2020 at 6:37 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
In the second round what is your goal?
Absolute talent? High ceiling? Complete player?

That’s a good question but with three second rounders - at least 2 of those should be able to crack your roster as support pieces in 2-3 years and maybe 1 could be part of your core. So imo you only swing for the fences on 1 of those 3 picks for a high ceiling high risk player. The other 2 I would be looking for a degree of consistency year over year.
With that in mind Foerster is mercurial - 1 breakout season so he has that high ceiling. Jake Neighbours and Ryan O’Rourke/ j Poirier if they fall are more the support pieces
Romanov 2 years ago and Struble last year are examples of high risk high ceiling players and were both 2nd round picks
May 15, 2020 at 8:16 p.m.
Quoting: Leemer
That’s a good question but with three second rounders - at least 2 of those should be able to crack your roster as support pieces in 2-3 years and maybe 1 could be part of your core. So imo you only swing for the fences on 1 of those 3 picks for a high ceiling high risk player. The other 2 I would be looking for a degree of consistency year over year.
With that in mind Foerster is mercurial - 1 breakout season so he has that high ceiling. Jake Neighbours and Ryan O’Rourke/ j Poirier if they fall are more the support pieces
Romanov 2 years ago and Struble last year are examples of high risk high ceiling players and were both 2nd round picks

For me best swing for the fences prospects are
Foerster(doubt he’ll be available), Dmitry ovchinikov and poirier cuz he sucks at d and Wallinder and roby jarventie
Safe are
Emil heineman and Jake neighbours ,Daniel torgersson and maxim beryozkin

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll