SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Why didn't PIT trade Fleury so he wouldn't be taken by Vegas

May 17, 2020 at 1:16 a.m.
i hope ur hungry now
I just don't understand that decision. Is there a rule that prevents that?
May 17, 2020 at 6:10 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
I just don't understand that decision. Is there a rule that prevents that?

Fleury had NMC. Murray had just a won the Cup for the Pens. Fleury could have told the Pens, I'm not waiving for any team which would have "forced" the Pens to trade Murray.
But Fleury was thinking ahead. He allowed his NMC to be dropped for the Vegas expansion draft only, although a second round pick was included. Fleury figured being a star on an expansion team in a new market was a great hockey and business opportunity. And it certainly turned out well as Vegas had a Cup appearance in their first year showed.
Kotkaniemi15, SpaghettiPasta, nobleknight77 and 1 other person liked this.
May 17, 2020 at 12:43 p.m.
Even if he was traded they wouldnt get full value for him since whoever was trading for him would still only get to protect one goalie in the expansion draft - they wouldve had to choose between fleury and whoever else they had in net
May 17, 2020 at 5:26 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
i mean, his peak value would've been pre-trade deadline, but Jim Rutherford was like, "well, i'd rather have 2 good goalies for the playoffs," and, well, uh, it paid off. Fleury carried them through the first 2 rounds, and, when Murray was good to go from whatever injury he had, he picked up the torch and carried them to a Stanley Cup.

Deadspin summed it up pretty well:
Quote:
Fleury was a likely trade deadline target for a number of teams, and there was some surprise that he stayed put. (A limited no-trade clause may have helped.) But GM Jim Rutherford has said all along that he’d prefer to keep Fleury, and this is exactly why. You never know when you’ll need a 1B goalie to step in in the most crucial part of the season. You always know that it’s not possible to have enough goaltending. No matter what happens from here out, last night validated Rutherford’s decision.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
May 18, 2020 at 7:02 p.m.
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
i mean, his peak value would've been pre-trade deadline, but Jim Rutherford was like, "well, i'd rather have 2 good goalies for the playoffs," and, well, uh, it paid off. Fleury carried them through the first 2 rounds, and, when Murray was good to go from whatever injury he had, he picked up the torch and carried them to a Stanley Cup.

Deadspin summed it up pretty well:
Quote:
Fleury was a likely trade deadline target for a number of teams, and there was some surprise that he stayed put. (A limited no-trade clause may have helped.) But GM Jim Rutherford has said all along that he’d prefer to keep Fleury, and this is exactly why. You never know when you’ll need a 1B goalie to step in in the most crucial part of the season. You always know that it’s not possible to have enough goaltending. No matter what happens from here out, last night validated Rutherford’s decision.

Fleury had an NMC and reportedly told Rutherford the only team he wanted to go to was Vegas, so he waived his NMC to be exposed in the expansion draft. However, Bryan Rust was also exposed and Vegas apparently told the Penguins they were taking Bryan Rust to force them to give up something for Vegas to take Fleury, fulfilling Fleury's wish which clearly was a great choice.
SlafCaufZuki liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll