SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Top 3 players select per Team if available

Top 3 players select per Team if available

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: dzhanger
Published: May 17, 2020 at 12:40 p.m.
Description
Order based on current lottery format. Availability factor considered into decisions.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings
  2. Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
  3. Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-1) Alexis Lafreniere (Undisputed number 1 overall pick)
2Logo of the Ottawa Senators-1) Tim Stutzle: Debate between Stutzle and Byfield. Sens go for more sure pick in Stutzle as they are talent deprived. Even though Byfield has more ceiling/potential, I see him as a potential of being a bust. Other Options 2) Quinton Byfield: If developed properly and he reaches his potential, a dynamic duo of Byfield and Tkachuk would be deadly. 3) Lucas Raymond: Dynamic playmaking/agile winger who could bring some much needed skill to the Sens roster.
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose Sharks1) Lucas Raymond: Debate between Raymond and Byfield. Sens select Raymond as they already selected a center in Stutzle @ number 2. They go for the flash and dash/agility of Raymond over Byfield. Dynamic playmaking/agile winger who could bring some much needed skill to the Sens roster. A dynamic duo of Stutzle, Raymond, and Tkachuk on the first line would be great to see. Other Options 2) Quinton Byfield: If developed properly and he reaches his potential, a dynamic duo of Byfield and Tkachuk would be deadly. In addition, a 1,2 duo at center in Byfield and Stutzle would be great to see. 3) Jamie Drysdale: Agile smart defenceman who has the ceiling/potential to be a top pairing defenceman alongside Chabot in the future if developed properly.
4Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-1) Jamie Drysdale: Debate between Drysdale and Byfield. Kings have solid center prospects in Vilardi and Iafallo (who can play center and wing) in addition to having Kopitar at center. Due to that and the fact that there is the risk that Byfield might be a bust, they select Drysdale who is an agile/smart defeceman who could play on the first pairing with Drew Doughty. Other Options 2) Quinton Byfield: If developed properly and he reaches his ceiling and potential, the Kings are set at center for now and the future and draft their #1 center of the future. 3) Yaroslav Askarov: Might be a bit of a reach for Kings to select him at 4th overall but it could be a justifiable pick if they selected him. They traded away Campbell to Toronto and Quick is getting older and has a history of injuries. Although they do strongly believe that Cal Peterson could potentially be a starter, it never hurts to have an insurance policy should Peterson not pan out. Also, I believe that Askarov has a higher chance of starting and being successful than Peterson.
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-1) Alexander Holtz: Debate between Holtz and Byfield. Similarily to the Kings, the Ducks have a wealth of solid center prospects (Zegras and Lundestrom) and combining that with the fact that Byfield might be a bust, I do not see them selecting Byfield. I see them selecting a sniper in Holtz to play alongside Getzlaf and then one of their center prospects in Zegras or Lundestrom. Other Options 2) Quinton Byfield: If developed properly and he reaches his ceiling and potential, the Ducks are set at center for now and the future and have their #1 center of the future. 3) Jack Quinn: Similar to Holtz in that he is also a sniper (although not as elite) but would still be a good option to play alongside Getzlaf and the Zegras or Lundestrom in the future.
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-1) Jack Quinn: Debate between Quinn and Byfield. Devils already have Hischier and Hughes at center. Combine that with the fact that Byfield has the potential to be a bust, the Devils will select the second best sniper in the draft to play alongside either Hughes or Hischier and provide the Devils with some much needed offensive production. Other Options 2) Quinton Byfield: If developed properly and he reaches his ceiling an potential, the Devils are set at center for now and the future.
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
8Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-1) Habs lose their minds yet again like last year when they picked Caufield. They finally select a #1 center that Bergevin says can't be traded for and now have a elite #1 center who has a chip on his shoulder to prove teams that passed him that they were wrong. Other Options 2) Marco Rossi: Rossi is a skillful playmaking center who would bring some much needed skill to the Canadiens. 3) Yaroslav Askarov: This pick may be a reach. They do have an elite goaltender presently in Price along with a goalie of the future in Primeau. However, there is no guarantee that Primeau will be the goaltender of the future once Price is gone. Therefore, Askarov provides a good insurance policy who also has a much higher ceiling than Primeau at being a more successful starter.
9Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-1) Yaroslav Askarov: After trading away Lehner at the deadline and Crawford reaching up there in terms of age, it would be smart for them to draft Askarov as their future #1 goaltender. Other Options 2) Marco Rossi: Rossi is a skillful playmaking versatile forward who could either play as a winger or center and improve an already impressive top 6 of the Hawks. 3) Jake Sanderson: If Hawks dont want to draft a goaltender or forward, then they will select a potential top 4 defenceman to reinforce their defence that has aging defenceman in Keith and Seabrook.
10Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona Coyotes1) Marco Rossi: Devils select Rossi and reunite him with Quinn. As they already have Hughes and Hischier at Center, they could have very creative line combinations by pairing Quinn and Rossi with one of Hughes or Hischier. They could also decide to play Quinn and Rossi on the same line with either Hughes or Hischier and have already built in chemistry. Other Options 2) Dawson Mercer: Mercer is another elite offensive goalscorer and playmaker who could fit in perfectly alongside one of Hughes or Hischier. 3) Rodion Amirov: Amirov is another goal scoring option for the Devils to slot in alongside Hughes or Hischier.
11Logo of the Minnesota Wild-1) Anton Lundell: Wild tend to like 200 foot responsible centres with some offensive punch. Lundell fits this description as he is extremely smart and reliable and would slide instantly into their top 6. Other Options 2) Dawson Mercer: Mercer is an elite offensive goalscorer and playmaker who could address the Wild's need for offence on the wings. 3) Rodion Amirov: Amirov is another goal scoring option for the Wild on the wings.
12Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-1) Dawson Mercer: Canucks select an elite offensive forward in Mercer who adds to their impressive set of offensive wingers in Boeser and Miller. Other Options 2) Noel Gunler: Gunler is a goal scorer option for the Canucks to select if they want more goal scoring. 3) Jake Sanderson: If the Canucks prefer not to select a winger, then they will pick Sanderson who when developed fully can be a solid two way top 4 defenceman for the Canucks.
13Logo of the Nashville Predators-1) Rodion Amirov: Predators select another an elite goal scorer able to find open spaces on the ice to compliment their forwards in arvidsson and forsberg. Other Options 2) Noel Gunler: Gunler is another goal scoring option for the Predators on the wings. 3) Jake Sanderson: If the Predators prefer not to select a winger, then they will pick Sanderson who when developed fully can be a solid two way top 4 defenceman for the Predators who can distribute the puck up to their skilled forwards.
14Logo of the Florida Panthers-1) Jake Sanderson: Panthers select a two way top 4 defenceman who addresses their massive defence needs. Sanderson is a reliable defenceman who also has the ability to transition the puck up to their talented wingers. Other Options 2) Jeremie Poirier: Poirier is more of an offensive defenceman who could transition the puck out much better and has a higher offensive upside than Sanderson but is not as defensively reliable. 3) Noel Gunler: If the Panthers do not want to address their forward needs and instead want to add to their already elite forward group, they could select another goal scorer in Gunler.
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-1) Noel Guler: Flames select a much needed goal scorer to add to their already decent forward group and now have skill, agility, grit, and goalscoring in their top 6. Other Options 2) Dylan Holloway: Flames could also select a 200 foot gritty center who has some offensive touch to play behind Sean Monahan. A pairing of Holloway and Tkachuk would be fun to watch. 3) Hendrix Lappiere: Flames could take a risk and select Lappiere who if the concussion issues are past him could be a 200 foot center with more offensive upside than Holloway.
16Logo of the New York Rangers-
17Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
18Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York Islanders
19Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
May 17, 2020 at 12:40 p.m.
Why I think Byfield might be a bust
Byfield has an enticing size/frame that makes him an attractive center. Combine that with the fact that he is almost a year younger than the rest of the draft means he has higher potential/upside. However, although it can be reasoned that his consistency and defensive side of the game (which need improvement) can improve as he ages and gets more mature, there are certain other aspects that make me believe he will be a bust. The fact that he doesn't use his size/frame to be more physical and engage in more puck battles really worries me. Also, a lot of his goals that he has scored have been more through transition (2 on 1, breakaway). That worries me because in the NHL, there will not be as much time and space and transition play as it is a much more tightly checked league than the OHL. He would need to work and produce in more versatile ways. Obviously, it is more than likely that Byfield will be able to improve on all these aspects and reach his potential. However, I still believe that he may project out to be a bust (still a solid NHL player but not as high as his potential suggests).
May 17, 2020 at 12:51 p.m.
burn the pegulas
if byfield is available at seven the sabres are going lose their minds and jump on him. he's a 2C that's going to relieve pressure off of eichel.
Sabresfan7 liked this.
May 17, 2020 at 1:02 p.m.
Quoting: chloewoj
if byfield is available at seven the sabres are going lose their minds and jump on him. he's a 2C that's going to relieve pressure off of eichel.

Realized that my top 3 for Sabres got cut off my bad.
IMO Sabres would pick Perfetti. Both Perfetti and Byfield have elite offensive numbers on elite OHL teams. Without question, if Byfield pans out and reaches his potential, I see Byfield being better than Perfetti. Frankly, if its a more sure thing that that happens, theres no way he reaches outside the top 5. I feel like if he doesn't pan out to his full potential, Perfetti is more versatile (can play center and wing) and is more offensively gifted with a higher hockey IQ than Byfield. However, i do see, if both are at 7, there is the potential that Byfield may be picked by the Sabres over Perfetti as you are also right in saying he would relieve the pressure off of Eichel.
May 17, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.
Quoting: dzhanger
Why I think Byfield might be a bust
Byfield has an enticing size/frame that makes him an attractive center. Combine that with the fact that he is almost a year younger than the rest of the draft means he has higher potential/upside. However, although it can be reasoned that his consistency and defensive side of the game (which need improvement) can improve as he ages and gets more mature, there are certain other aspects that make me believe he will be a bust. The fact that he doesn't use his size/frame to be more physical and engage in more puck battles really worries me. Also, a lot of his goals that he has scored have been more through transition (2 on 1, breakaway). That worries me because in the NHL, there will not be as much time and space and transition play as it is a much more tightly checked league than the OHL. He would need to work and produce in more versatile ways. Obviously, it is more than likely that Byfield will be able to improve on all these aspects and reach his potential. However, I still believe that he may project out to be a bust (still a solid NHL player but not as high as his potential suggests).

I can debunk ur entire argument in one sentence. He’s 17. So since he’s 17 he hasn’t peaked physically. He’s a lanky kid at the moment. Go look at Lafrenière last year in the q and wjc. Ray Ferraro said that one year is like and eternity for teenagers. That’s especially true from 17-18. Nathan McKinnon looked lost at the wjc at 17 then turned 18 and put up 63 in his rookie year. That being said for some one so physically immature he uses his size very well. Accompany that with a lethal shot, good hands, and a very fast powerful skater and h get a stud.
Salzy and Leemer liked this.
May 17, 2020 at 1:29 p.m.
I dont see any scenario where Byfield drops past 3
May 17, 2020 at 2:16 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Despite the pick being horrible positionally for the habs, that would be amazing. Also, 0% chance that happens.
May 17, 2020 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: Howisbergevinstillhere
I can debunk ur entire argument in one sentence. He’s 17. So since he’s 17 he hasn’t peaked physically. He’s a lanky kid at the moment. Go look at Lafrenière last year in the q and wjc. Ray Ferraro said that one year is like and eternity for teenagers. That’s especially true from 17-18. Nathan McKinnon looked lost at the wjc at 17 then turned 18 and put up 63 in his rookie year. That being said for some one so physically immature he uses his size very well. Accompany that with a lethal shot, good hands, and a very fast powerful skater and h get a stud.

Exactly. This is the same thing I tell people about Kirby Dach. Both of them have huge frames but are not yet filled out. Because of that, Dach was very susceptible to hits early on, but started to use his size to his advantage later in the season. Once he hits the gym with a professional strength coach, he is going to be a huge guy out there, and I believe the same is going to happen for Byfield except with higher offensive upside
May 17, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
Quoting: Howisbergevinstillhere

17 year old Lafreniere was possibly the worst player on a bad Canadian world Juniors team. At 18 he looked like he could have been a 24 year old playing against teens.
May 17, 2020 at 8:56 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
And how does one even comment that Price is ready to move on with another 6 years on a mega contact when Askarov is ready to play in 2-3 years. Like it or not Price is stapled to the Habs lineup for a long time - nobody is taking on Price’s contract in a trade without salary retention and very unlikely he gets bought out - Drafting Askarov just forces one of those discussions- ludicrous
May 18, 2020 at 5:10 a.m.
Brad Boyes please Wq
This is HORRIBLE
May 18, 2020 at 8:56 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Leemer
And how does one even comment that Price is ready to move on with another 6 years on a mega contact when Askarov is ready to play in 2-3 years. Like it or not Price is stapled to the Habs lineup for a long time - nobody is taking on Price’s contract in a trade without salary retention and very unlikely he gets bought out - Drafting Askarov just forces one of those discussions- ludicrous

Also Cayden Primeau exists. So no chance we draft Askarov.
May 18, 2020 at 11:50 a.m.
So many things wrong with the Kings thing, but the three most egregious are 1) Iafallo isn't a center. Hasn't ever been, never will be. Maybe you meant Turcotte. 2) Drysdale and Doughty are both righties. They won't be paired together. 3) If Byfield falls in their lap at 4, I don't care how many center prospects you have, you take the best player available, which is Byfield by a country mile.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll