SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/San Jose Sharks

Genuinely Upset Looking Back At the 2019 Draft

May 19, 2020 at 10:54 p.m.
After going back and looking at who we picked last year, I'm a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I know that it could have been worse, but the fact that we picked Kniazev and Hamaliuk in the second round as opposed to Fagemo or Robertson really peeves me. I definitely understand why Kniazev was chosen where he was (48th) - hes a decent pick. But he was still projected to go later than we took him. If I were Wilson with the 48th pick, I would have snatched Robertson right then and there considering he had the potential to go at #22. That would have meant sacrificing Hamaliuk probably. But considering Robertson is scoring at nearly 2 PPG in the hardest junior league, as opposed to Hamaliuk's PPG of less than 0.5 in the WHL, I think that would be okay.

I also think the Ibragimov pick was unnecessary. He's still not really proven that he's deserved the pick considering he was completely unranked, and guys who were projected third round picks like Dustin Wolf and Blake Murray were passed up. Ibragimov had 20 points in 42 games split between the Russian version of the AHL and CHL. Meanwhile Wolf just won the WHL's goalie of the year award (935 SV%, 1.88 GAA, 46 GP) and Murray has 72 points in 63 games in the OHL.

I definitely know that it's very early to determine whether the picks were warranted or not, but It is a bit annoying considering that we had very few picks and have to make the most of every single one if possible. Additionally, it's admittedly much easier to look back on a draft and say "we should have drafted X player or Y player" than it is to actually figure out who the best pick is at the time. I definitely acknowledge that. I honestly hope that I'm proven wrong as time goes on. I'd be more inclined to say that my hunches are more likely to come true than not, but you never know. Hopefully things turn around as time progresses.
May 27, 2020 at 7:49 p.m.
Quoting: RawZuccSauce420
After going back and looking at who we picked last year, I'm a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I know that it could have been worse, but the fact that we picked Kniazev and Hamaliuk in the second round as opposed to Fagemo or Robertson really peeves me. I definitely understand why Kniazev was chosen where he was (48th) - hes a decent pick. But he was still projected to go later than we took him. If I were Wilson with the 48th pick, I would have snatched Robertson right then and there considering he had the potential to go at #22. That would have meant sacrificing Hamaliuk probably. But considering Robertson is scoring at nearly 2 PPG in the hardest junior league, as opposed to Hamaliuk's PPG of less than 0.5 in the WHL, I think that would be okay.

I also think the Ibragimov pick was unnecessary. He's still not really proven that he's deserved the pick considering he was completely unranked, and guys who were projected third round picks like Dustin Wolf and Blake Murray were passed up. Ibragimov had 20 points in 42 games split between the Russian version of the AHL and CHL. Meanwhile Wolf just won the WHL's goalie of the year award (935 SV%, 1.88 GAA, 46 GP) and Murray has 72 points in 63 games in the OHL.

I definitely know that it's very early to determine whether the picks were warranted or not, but It is a bit annoying considering that we had very few picks and have to make the most of every single one if possible. Additionally, it's admittedly much easier to look back on a draft and say "we should have drafted X player or Y player" than it is to actually figure out who the best pick is at the time. I definitely acknowledge that. I honestly hope that I'm proven wrong as time goes on. I'd be more inclined to say that my hunches are more likely to come true than not, but you never know. Hopefully things turn around as time progresses.

Hamaliuk at one point was ranked as a top ten player in the draft. He delt with injury his draft year and suffered mono this year. Not worth giving up on him yet. Kniazev isnt a huge point scorer but he had a great year and is highly underrated. Igbramov played in a mens league this year at age 20 and did pretty well, while hes a long shot, so are almost all 6th rounders. Clearly the scouts saw something and they hit on lots of late picks so ill trust them over.
FunMustBeAlways liked this.
May 28, 2020 at 1:52 a.m.
Quoting: papishark
Hamaliuk at one point was ranked as a top ten player in the draft. He delt with injury his draft year and suffered mono this year. Not worth giving up on him yet. Kniazev isnt a huge point scorer but he had a great year and is highly underrated. Igbramov played in a mens league this year at age 20 and did pretty well, while hes a long shot, so are almost all 6th rounders. Clearly the scouts saw something and they hit on lots of late picks so ill trust them over.

Yeah you're right it's definitely too early to really judge whether they're great picks, decent picks or just straight up busts. I think I'm just salty we didn't pick Robertson lol.

I didn't know that Hamaliuk had mono this year. That explains some things.
papishark liked this.
May 28, 2020 at 12:34 p.m.
Quoting: RawZuccSauce420
Yeah you're right it's definitely too early to really judge whether they're great picks, decent picks or just straight up busts. I think I'm just salty we didn't pick Robertson lol.

I didn't know that Hamaliuk had mono this year. That explains some things.

Yeah I was pretty down on him too until I heard about it. I remember what it did to Timo that one season

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll