$1,800,000$1,800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    C
    RFA - 3
    $3,350,000$3,350,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,600,000$4,600,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,475,000$5,475,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $3,937,500$3,937,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $725,000$725,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,275,000$5,275,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 20, 2020 at 11:52 a.m.
    Matthews is arguably a top 5 player in the league, but thats a lot for ARZ to give up. If anything I think ARZ would wait until Matthews hit UFA before making an offer. This would ruin them imo
    Nhl_oilers liked this.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:03 p.m.
    AZ can just get him when he's a ufa
    May 20, 2020 at 12:03 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: moli92
    Matthews is arguably a top 5 player in the league, but thats a lot for ARZ to give up. If anything I think ARZ would wait until Matthews hit UFA before making an offer. This would ruin them imo

Why would he waive his NTC to go to Quebec? Because that is exactly where Arizona is going after this Pandemic. The team needed to make the playoffs this year to get close to becoming solvent. Them and Florida may be relocating soon.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:04 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: KennyBoi

There will definitely not be a team in AZ by then. Matthews is going to be a Leaf for life.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:05 p.m.
    Terry_AkiSauce
    Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
    Why would he waive his NTC to go to Quebec? Because that is exactly where Arizona is going after this Pandemic. The team needed to make the playoffs this year to get close to becoming solvent. Them and Florida may be relocating soon.

Link to anything saying stuff like this?
    May 20, 2020 at 12:09 p.m.
    Banned
    Leafs fans: Coyotes need to add 4 more 1st round picks.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:11 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce

Have you missed the past 6 years of the franchise? They haven't made money in years, their arena situation sucks, they don't get enough fans to come and there is a pandemic that is going to cost them even more money in lost revenues. Its just a matter of time. Hockey doesn't work in the desert, maybe if they had a winner but it just doesn't work. Matthews may have been unhappy at times under Babs but right now, he's a king, gets paid like a king and has a chance to compete for a cup in a market that will worship him. He isn't going anywhere.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:11 p.m.

I agree theres a real possibility of ARZ relocating. I think Matthews will stay a Leaf anyway, I was just saying that ARZ shouldnt sell the farm to add one player, not that the Leafs would even want to move him anyway
    May 20, 2020 at 12:13 p.m.
    I'm sorry I'm about to go full nerd alert here, but Leafs will not move Matthews. He's arguably the most valuable player in the league right now. According to Dom Luszczyszyn of the Athletic, here are the top 5 Forward GSVAs in the league right now

1.) Auston Matthews - 4.93
    2.) Nikita Kucherov - 4.79
    3.) Artemi Panarin - 4.45
    4.) Nathan MacKinnon - 4.39
    5.) David Pastrnak - 4.32

In that number, it also shows he adds value in all areas of the game. Showing he's a complete player. Just in my humble opinion, I don't think there would be any trade in the world that Arizona could offer that would net them Matthews. Especially since he's the team leader in Offense GSVA and Defense GSVA amongst Leaf forwards.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:14 p.m.
    Quoting: Serg808
    Leafs fans: Coyotes need to add 4 more 1st round picks.

Honestly, still might not be worth it. He adds more value to a team than people realize. Marner will be traded WAY before him.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:14 p.m.
    G O S I M E K
    Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/328988&post_id=1432353
    May 20, 2020 at 12:16 p.m.
    Banned
    I agree theres a real possibility of ARZ relocating. I think Matthews will stay a Leaf anyway, I was just saying that ARZ shouldnt sell the farm to add one player, not that the Leafs would even want to move him anyway

I guess by that reasoning, I'd argue that it may be in ARZ best interest to sell the farm to get a player like Matthews, it may be the only chance they get at keeping a team in Arizona. It won't happen but I get why ARZ would want to do that.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.
    G O S I M E K
    Quoting: mnwild1790
    Honestly, still might not be worth it. He adds more value to a team than people realize. Marner will be traded WAY before him.

Quoting: KennyBoi

I only did it to show the impact it would have on the Coyotes. Some crazed AZ Matthews fan did one least night but didn’t complete the team after so I decided to do it. I think it’s a terrible idea for AZ they lose the most promising part of their future (soderstrom and hayton) while also losing their franchise defenseman and all their best picks. Matthews is an elite top center in the game but no player is worth gutting a teams present and future. Exactly right, wait until he’s a UFA or just go after someone less talented at less than half the price.
    UpsideDownQue liked this.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:25 p.m.
    I guess by that reasoning, I'd argue that it may be in ARZ best interest to sell the farm to get a player like Matthews, it may be the only chance they get at keeping a team in Arizona. It won't happen but I get why ARZ would want to do that.

depends if the league bails them out to keep them in AZ. I think they recently got a new owner so its up to him too. They already sold so much to acquire Hall whihc didnt work out so idk if they could afford to do it again (on a larger scale) with Matthews
    May 20, 2020 at 12:26 p.m.
    Quoting: Lord_Simek
    I only did it to show the impact it would have on the Coyotes. Some crazed AZ Matthews fan did one least night but didn’t complete the team after so I decided to do it. I think it’s a terrible idea for AZ they lose the most promising part of their future (soderstrom and hayton) while also losing their franchise defenseman and all their best picks. Matthews is an elite top center in the game but no player is worth gutting a teams present and future. Exactly right, wait until he’s a UFA or just go after someone less talented at less than half the price.

Fair enough, there's so many of these it's hard to keep up with, so I missed that one. I've seen Matthews named floated around a few times so I felt it necessary to set the record straight. You were the unfortunate soul that had to deal with my outburst.

I agree with you though. The only reason to gut your draft picks/prospect pool is if you're so close to winning you need to trade for pieces to help you win now. Besides that, gutting your team for one player is absurd.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
    Banned
    depends if the league bails them out to keep them in AZ. I think they recently got a new owner so its up to him too. They already sold so much to acquire Hall whihc didnt work out so idk if they could afford to do it again (on a larger scale) with Matthews

I don't see any scenario where Matthews goes to AZ but I do understand why they would want to get him at almost any cost. A local boy superstar could save the franchise but it won't happen, it would gut their team and I don't see TO wanting to even entertain it.
    UpsideDownQue liked this.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:31 p.m.
    G O S I M E K
    Fair enough, there's so many of these it's hard to keep up with, so I missed that one. I've seen Matthews named floated around a few times so I felt it necessary to set the record straight. You were the unfortunate soul that had to deal with my outburst.

I agree with you though. The only reason to gut your draft picks/prospect pool is if you're so close to winning you need to trade for pieces to help you win now. Besides that, gutting your team for one player is absurd.

Hey, no offense taken lol. Not my team and not my loss. But if I were a Yotes fan and this happened I would likely cease to be a Yotes fan.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:42 p.m.
    Quoting: Lord_Simek
    Hey, no offense taken lol. Not my team and not my loss. But if I were a Yotes fan and this happened I would likely cease to be a Yotes fan.

I can't mock much as a Wild fan. We've made some decisions over the years that have set us back. As a Sharks fan, you know one of the them...the Burns trade. Seemed good at the time, but Coyle never reached his full potential we expected and Phillips was a bust.
    May 20, 2020 at 12:53 p.m.
    Auston prolly will stay a Leaf until his contract, but once its up it might be possible he looks into SJ
    May 20, 2020 at 2:07 p.m.
    G O S I M E K
    I can't mock much as a Wild fan. We've made some decisions over the years that have set us back. As a Sharks fan, you know one of the them...the Burns trade. Seemed good at the time, but Coyle never reached his full potential we expected and Phillips was a bust.

The Burns trade was pretty one-sided. Also the Heatley Havlat trade. Havlat was never great as a shark but certainly better than a seriously declining Heatley. Everything comes around though. Sharks fans know all about decisions that set a team back...sigh
    mnwild1790 liked this.
    May 20, 2020 at 4:45 p.m.
    I'm sorry I'm about to go full nerd alert here, but Leafs will not move Matthews. He's arguably the most valuable player in the league right now. According to Dom Luszczyszyn of the Athletic, here are the top 5 Forward GSVAs in the league right now

1.) Auston Matthews - 4.93
    2.) Nikita Kucherov - 4.79
    3.) Artemi Panarin - 4.45
    4.) Nathan MacKinnon - 4.39
    5.) David Pastrnak - 4.32

In that number, it also shows he adds value in all areas of the game. Showing he's a complete player. Just in my humble opinion, I don't think there would be any trade in the world that Arizona could offer that would net them Matthews. Especially since he's the team leader in Offense GSVA and Defense GSVA amongst Leaf forwards.

McDavid?
    May 20, 2020 at 4:51 p.m.
    Have you missed the past 6 years of the franchise? They haven't made money in years, their arena situation sucks, they don't get enough fans to come and there is a pandemic that is going to cost them even more money in lost revenues. Its just a matter of time. Hockey doesn't work in the desert, maybe if they had a winner but it just doesn't work. Matthews may have been unhappy at times under Babs but right now, he's a king, gets paid like a king and has a chance to compete for a cup in a market that will worship him. He isn't going anywhere.

Canada isn't getting an 8th team. With a population less then California, there isn't the TV money, advertising dollars, merchandising to support 8 teams. In terms of revenue and profit, Ottawa and Winnepeg already sit in the bottom 6 teams and Calgary is in the bottom third. Montreal and Toronto are in the top third, Vancouver and Edmonton are in the middle third, and Calgary, Ottawa and Winnepeg in the bottom third.
    MisstheWhalers liked this.
    May 20, 2020 at 5:06 p.m.
    Quoting: ChiHawk
    McDavid?

McDavid is at a 4.01. What's dragging his score down is the fact that of all forwards so far this year, he is tied for dead last in defensive rating(-11.1). I knew his defense was bad but I didn't realize how bad it was. The fact that his defense is dead last and he's still able to have a GSVA above 4 shows just how gifted he is offensively. Truly remarkable.
    May 20, 2020 at 5:10 p.m.
    McDavid is at a 4.01. What's dragging his score down is the fact that of all forwards so far this year, he is tied for dead last in defensive rating(-11.1). I knew his defense was bad but I didn't realize how bad it was. The fact that his defense is dead last and he's still able to have a GSVA above 4 shows just how gifted he is offensively. Truly remarkable.

Well McDavid is the most valuable player in the NHL regardless of this ranking system. I don't know how the person that scores this would say GSVA is a good way to rank a players value without acknowledging McDavid is the most valuable. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a GM or Coach in the league that wouldn't take McDavid over anyone else.
    May 20, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
    Quoting: ChiHawk
    Well McDavid is the most valuable player in the NHL regardless of this ranking system. I don't know how the person that scores this would say GSVA is a good way to rank a players value without acknowledging McDavid is the most valuable. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a GM or Coach in the league that wouldn't take McDavid over anyone else.

Did I say I wouldn't take McDavid #1? I never said that. My original quote was "Matthews is arguably the most valuable player in the league right now." Key words in that statement: arguably, and right now. And you can definitely make an argument that he is. The eye test and the underlying numbers reflect that statement. He plays a complete game.

However, I never said he would be my pick. Look back to my last post to you. He is dead last in defense amongst forwards and STILL pulled a 4.01. That means that he is so damn good everywhere else that if he was to fix his defense (which is coachable) he won't just be the best player in game. There won't be anyone even close to his level. That's what I meant by my statement.

And you're right, if a GM were to base his trade values, drafting, and FA signing solely off of GSVA, then they'd be idiots. Advanced metrics is just a guide to uncover strengths and weaknesses of a players game that you can't get with standard statistics.
    ChiHawk liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll