Team: 2020-21 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: May 20, 2020
Published: May 20, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The cap doesn't go up.

NOTABLE MOVES
-Bruins move on from Joakim Nordstrom
- Peter Cehlarik's trade request is accepted and the Bruins move his rights.
-Zdeno Chara announces 1 more season (hypothetical)
-Tom Kuhnhackl signs a 1 year deal to fill the depth role of Joakim Nordstrom, just incase a younger option doesn't make the team.
- Nick Ebert, RHD, signs a 1 year deal to replace Alex Petrovic.

Leading Candidates for Void on 4th line
-Anton Blidh
-Trent Frederic
- Cameron Hughes
-Par Lindholm

My prediction: Trent Frederic will get a look out of camp.

Leading Candidates for 2nd D Pair Void
-Matt Grzelyck
-Urho Vaakanainen
-Jakub Zboril
-John Moore
-Jack Ahcan
-Jeremy Lauzon

My prediction: Matt Grzelyck

Possibly NHL Ready but no spots on roster available
-Zach Senyshyn
-Jack Studnicka
-Urho Vaakanainen
- Jakub Zboril
-Cameron Hughes

BIGGEST QUESTIONS HEADING INTO 2020-21 SEASON
- Can the defense be as goodwith younger options without Torey Krug?
-Can the offense keep up?
- Anders Bjork and Connor Clifton's make or break season
- Zach Senyshyn and Jakub Zboril's prove it season
-Is there a taker for John Moore's contract?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,150,000
2$4,000,000
2$875,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$950,000
3$2,250,000
1$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
1$750,000
1$875,000
1$800,000
Trades
BOS
  1. 2021 4th round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Cehlárik, Peter [RFA Rights]
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,123,981$964,222$1,975,000$6,376,019

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
$2,850,000$2,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 20, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
Nordstrom will be gone, yes and don't think the Bruins need someone to replace him as they have several 4th lines options as you cited. Instead, sign a top6 AHLer to a two-way deal to replace Cehlarik/Studnicka. And Ebert is more a top6 guy so I would try to get a top4 RD.
Like all deals otherwise (just take some $ off DeBrusk and give it to Grzelcyk).

IMO Krug stays so I won't go farther

For your questions
-Yes, but the team is just better with Krug.
-Probably if they have health/chemistry and they can start scoring at 5v5.
-Bjork needs to gets more minutes (EV or PP). I'm not high on Clifton so a good 6th D and exposed for Seattle draft.
-Senyshyn needs waivers so he either starts on RW3 (Studnicka/Kuhlman otherwise) or waived. Zboril, AHL probably but can get some games.
-Hopefully, that's the only thing I can say tears of joy

Great thread.
May 20, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
Dope ACGM
bhavikp27 and nalzugaray12 liked this.
May 20, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.
Subbanator
If Boston goes into a season without Krug and over 8 million in cap space prepare for hate from the fans
May 20, 2020 at 4:31 p.m.
Bahston Brewins
Quoting: bhavikp27
Nordstrom will be gone, yes and don't think the Bruins need someone to replace him as they have several 4th lines options as you cited. Instead, sign a top6 AHLer to a two-way deal to replace Cehlarik/Studnicka. And Ebert is more a top6 guy so I would try to get a top4 RD.
Like all deals otherwise (just take some $ off DeBrusk and give it to Grzelcyk).

IMO Krug stays so I won't go farther

For your questions
-Yes, but the team is just better with Krug.
-Probably if they have health/chemistry and they can start scoring at 5v5.
-Bjork needs to gets more minutes (EV or PP). I'm not high on Clifton so a good 6th D and exposed for Seattle draft.
-Senyshyn needs waivers so he either starts on RW3 (Studnicka/Kuhlman otherwise) or waived. Zboril, AHL probably but can get some games.
-Hopefully, that's the only thing I can say tears of joy

Great thread.

Thanks! I love Krug and hope they decide to bring him back, but this is just a hypothetical if they decide to move on. My biggest concern with that is if Matt Grzelyck can truly handle a full time top 4 role. He definitely looked serviceable during his short stint in the top 4 when guys like Krug and Chara were out, but I think it's definitely a question mark if he can handle it for an 82 game period.

In regards to Clifton, he definitely didn't look the same as last season, but if he regains that confidence: hes a good #5-#6 guy. Unfortunately for Clifton, Lauzon came in and probably just outplayed him for that #6 role
May 20, 2020 at 4:32 p.m.
Bahston Brewins
Quoting: Subbanator7667
If Boston goes into a season without Krug and over 8 million in cap space prepare for hate from the fans

just because there's 8 mil in cap space doesn't mean you gotta spend it! I want Krug back but you gotta think about spending for the future. Look at Colorado for example
May 20, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.
Quoting: nalzugaray12
Thanks! I love Krug and hope they decide to bring him back, but this is just a hypothetical if they decide to move on. My biggest concern with that is if Matt Grzelyck can truly handle a full time top 4 role. He definitely looked serviceable during his short stint in the top 4 when guys like Krug and Chara were out, but I think it's definitely a question mark if he can handle it for an 82 game period.

In regards to Clifton, he definitely didn't look the same as last season, but if he regains that confidence: hes a good #5-#6 guy. Unfortunately for Clifton, Lauzon came in and probably just outplayed him for that #6 role

Top4, I'm confident. Top pair, that's my question. Want to keep Krug-Carlo together and have the BU pairing so Chara has less TOI and McAvoy could produce more offensively. But 33-73 probably starts as top pair again next year.
May 20, 2020 at 5:22 p.m.
Banned
Edited May 21, 2020 at 10:11 a.m.
Good RFA deals!
Chara will probably take less
and then the only thing i see as an issue is that Studnicka is not on the roster, and I see uour description, but hes gonna crack it.

Overall pretty damn good, but you gotta get Stud up there!!

Again, I THINK Krug will stay, but for an ACGM accounting for him leaving this is pretty good
May 20, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
Bcarlo25
There is no earthly way that the bruins enter the season with that much cap space.
ngikas liked this.
May 20, 2020 at 8:51 p.m.
If the Bruins dont think Studnicka will be ready and Krug walks I’d think they try and add a top 6 RWer whether it’s thru a trade or FA. Kase has the ability to run the RW 2 spot but if you bump him down with coyle and Bjork and then Ritchie on the 4th this team is extremely deep. And they have enough depth defensively to “hide” any rookie mistakes that could be made by Lauzon/Vaak/Clifton depending on who plays.
May 21, 2020 at 8:01 a.m.
This all looks pretty good. One of the best I've seen on here. Now my break down:

You are short on roster player and they almost always carry 8 defense.

Zboril and Senyshen both require waivers. I don't believe they will risk losing them for free. Senyshen gets Kuhlman's spot and Zboril is the 7/8 D.

Frederic won't be there opening night but will be first call up when injuries happen. He has one more year of waiver exemption and the Bruins will use it. Lindholm is very responsible.

Kühnhackl and Ebert are exactly the kind of moves this management team do. These two would be as good as any. Good job.

Tough spot if the Bruins sign Krug. They would have 10 NHL defenseman requiring waivers. In that scenario I see Kampfer and Clifton sent down.

I'll throw out one of my more controversial takes...... That the Bruins will resign B Ritchie and he'll start in the AHL. He's a big body and a RW with a decent skating ability he's a unicorn if he puts it together. Trading for his brother, who will need a new contract next summer and training hard together, we might just get some bash brothers for the bottom six.

I like that you resigned Gaunce, I think he still can be an NHLer its just that Boston loves their depth. Sweeneely didn't have depth when they played and it cost them. They are trying their best to give the current players that.

I don't think they can hold off Studnicka any longer. He will be on the team at some point. My only hesitations are he doesn't require waivers and they have very good centers. Bruins need him to play center, may take an injury but he will be with the big club by the end of the year with Frederic.
May 21, 2020 at 9:37 a.m.
Bcarlo25
just because there's 8 mil in cap space doesn't mean you gotta spend it! I want Krug back but you gotta think about spending for the future. Look at Colorado for example

Colorado is an incredibly young team.

Boston is as legit a cup contender as it gets, and are in the final stages of their window. If they don’t use all assets available to compete now, that’s a bad look. If Don Sweeney enters the season with 8+ million in cap space, he should be immediately fired. That would be a failure as GM.
May 21, 2020 at 9:54 a.m.
Bahston Brewins
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Colorado is an incredibly young team.

Boston is as legit a cup contender as it gets, and are in the final stages of their window. If they don’t use all assets available to compete now, that’s a bad look. If Don Sweeney enters the season with 8+ million in cap space, he should be immediately fired. That would be a failure as GM.

When this team has been top a top 5 team in the league the past two seasons, who exactly are you spending money on? If Krug isn't coming back, the only real type of guy I can see them signing is another bottom 6 player which wouldn't break the bank. I just have a hard time believing they would bring in a money grabbing player with limited spots on this team. Look at the past few off-seasons, Don isn't making sexy signings. He signs mostly depth guys. Im projecting this team would probably be a big spender for the 2021 offseason.
May 21, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
Bahston Brewins
Quoting: ngikas
If the Bruins dont think Studnicka will be ready and Krug walks I’d think they try and add a top 6 RWer whether it’s thru a trade or FA. Kase has the ability to run the RW 2 spot but if you bump him down with coyle and Bjork and then Ritchie on the 4th this team is extremely deep. And they have enough depth defensively to “hide” any rookie mistakes that could be made by Lauzon/Vaak/Clifton depending on who plays.

I understand that Ritchie on the fourth line would be nice in terms of depth, but to be fair we didn't get a 100% look on him during his stint. He looked like he was outplaying Kase throughout the top 9 spot. Obviously anything could of happened, but I think they really like Ritchie in the top 9. There's a ton of guys mixed in the system for those depth positions, bringing in another forward is understandable in some way..but I still think they want to give guys like Kase, Bjork, and Ritchie more looks before they make another big move like that
ngikas liked this.
May 21, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.
Bahston Brewins
Quoting: keepcalmandbergeron
This all looks pretty good. One of the best I've seen on here. Now my break down:

You are short on roster player and they almost always carry 8 defense.

Zboril and Senyshen both require waivers. I don't believe they will risk losing them for free. Senyshen gets Kuhlman's spot and Zboril is the 7/8 D.

Frederic won't be there opening night but will be first call up when injuries happen. He has one more year of waiver exemption and the Bruins will use it. Lindholm is very responsible.

Kühnhackl and Ebert are exactly the kind of moves this management team do. These two would be as good as any. Good job.

Tough spot if the Bruins sign Krug. They would have 10 NHL defenseman requiring waivers. In that scenario I see Kampfer and Clifton sent down.

I'll throw out one of my more controversial takes...... That the Bruins will resign B Ritchie and he'll start in the AHL. He's a big body and a RW with a decent skating ability he's a unicorn if he puts it together. Trading for his brother, who will need a new contract next summer and training hard together, we might just get some bash brothers for the bottom six.

I like that you resigned Gaunce, I think he still can be an NHLer its just that Boston loves their depth. Sweeneely didn't have depth when they played and it cost them. They are trying their best to give the current players that.

I don't think they can hold off Studnicka any longer. He will be on the team at some point. My only hesitations are he doesn't require waivers and they have very good centers. Bruins need him to play center, may take an injury but he will be with the big club by the end of the year with Frederic.

correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Zboril and Senyshyn start the year in the AHL without having to go through waivers? I thought they only have to go through waivers is if they are up on the NHL team throughout the regular season and get sent back down
May 21, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
Edited May 21, 2020 at 5:39 p.m.
correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Zboril and Senyshyn start the year in the AHL without having to go through waivers? I thought they only have to go through waivers is if they are up on the NHL team throughout the regular season and get sent back down

My understanding is that everyone from that draft class is fair game if they don't make the big club. Think Subban by Vegas for comparison. Didn't play many NHL games, didn't make it through waivers.

If you select a player such as Zboril there is a link that says "waivers exempt". Estimated waivers required beginning: 2020-21.
nalzugaray12 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 12:49 p.m.
Bahston Brewins
Quoting: keepcalmandbergeron
My understanding is that everyone from that draft class is fair game if they don't make the big club. Think Subban by Vegas for comparison. Didn't play many NHL games, didn't make it through waivers.

If you select a player such as Zboril there is a link that says "waivers exempt". Estimated waivers required beginning: 2020-21.

Gotcha. Thanks for the overall feedback though. I'm actually really happy you noticed the Gaunce signing. He actually looked solid during that one game with Boston. Obviously it's a really small sample size, but I've read about how solid of a player he was for Providence. I think with them letting Nordstrom go, he could be a serious darkhorse for that 4th line spot.

In regards to Studnicka, I really think they want to give Bjork another look. He had an up and down season this year, but he overall improved his game this season. We want more out of him because he's shown flashes, but I think they'll give him one more chance next season. If he doesn't reach expectations, then you can start giving guys like Studnicka, Senyshyn, etc opportunities. It's just a tough situation because while this team lacks totally high end prospects, they have a ton of depth and that depth seems close to being ready
May 22, 2020 at 1:03 p.m.
Gotcha. Thanks for the overall feedback though. I'm actually really happy you noticed the Gaunce signing. He actually looked solid during that one game with Boston. Obviously it's a really small sample size, but I've read about how solid of a player he was for Providence. I think with them letting Nordstrom go, he could be a serious darkhorse for that 4th line spot.

In regards to Studnicka, I really think they want to give Bjork another look. He had an up and down season this year, but he overall improved his game this season. We want more out of him because he's shown flashes, but I think they'll give him one more chance next season. If he doesn't reach expectations, then you can start giving guys like Studnicka, Senyshyn, etc opportunities. It's just a tough situation because while this team lacks totally high end prospects, they have a ton of depth and that depth seems close to being ready

Lots of moving parts. Depth at almost every position except RD. Really depends who shows up to training camp in shape and wants the spot the most. They have enough depth for six forward lines, four defense pairs and two starting goalies and not be terrible, nice problem to have. They will lose a good winger or LD to expansion but it won't even matter.
nalzugaray12 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll