SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Dumba Scenario 20 I sent people down for cap reasons

Created by: ivan092033
Published: May 24, 2020 at 2:21 p.m.
Salary Cap: $84,000,000
Season Days: 186/186 (100%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Minnesota WildMinnesota Wild

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Dumba, MattMinnesota WildNHL50%$3,000,000111---0000--
2022 6th round pick (Logo of the Minnesota WildMIN)---001------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Johnsson, AndreasToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$3,400,000111---0000--
Dermott, TravisToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$0111---0000--
Lehtonen, MikkoWaivers ExemptToronto Maple LeafsMinor-$0011---0000--
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$6,879,745214664124
Change-$400,00012210-1
Final$6,479,745 (↓)22 (↑)48 (↑)66 (↑)2 (↑)23 (↓)000

Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $14,875,000
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: $14,782,706
Coincident TransactionInitial StatusNew StatusCap Hit ChangeRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Andersen, FrederikNHLMinor-$1,075,000-1-----------
Rielly, MorganNHLMinor-$1,075,000-1-----------
Tavares, JohnNHLMinor-$1,075,000-1-----------
Johnsson, AndreasLTIRNHL$01-----------
Mikheyev, IlyaLTIRNHL$01-----------
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Johnsson, AndreasToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$3,400,000111---0000--
Dermott, TravisToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$0111---0000--
Lehtonen, MikkoWaivers ExemptToronto Maple LeafsMinor-$0011---0000--
2022 1st round pick (Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Dumba, MattMinnesota WildNHL50%$3,000,000111---0000--
2022 6th round pick (Logo of the Minnesota WildMIN)---001------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial-$3,307,706234866124
Change$3,625,000-2-2-2-101
Final$317,294 (↑)21 (↓)46 (↓)64 (↓)0 (↓)25 (↑)000
May 24, 2020 at 2:22 p.m.
Dumba scenario 2.0 not 20
May 24, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
If you can convince Dubas that the first isn't gonna be high because this team is gonna stomp. (which I think is the case) You could pull this off. I like it. 9/10
May 24, 2020 at 3:46 p.m.
Quoting: reelkena
If you can convince Dubas that the first isn't gonna be high because this team is gonna stomp. (which I think is the case) You could pull this off. I like it. 9/10

I disagree completely that the Leafs could pull this off, highly doubt Guerin takes this package. For one, we have zero need for more wingers since we have 10 top 9 wings with Kaprizov coming. For two, the whole reason we'd trade Dumba is because we have too many top 4 D, we don't need Lehtonen or Dermott. Finally, our owner wants to contend every year and making a trade for a 2021 pick does not accomplish that. I was honestly shocked he let Guerin move Zucker for a first this year.

The Wild need centers desperately and by all reports the ask for Dumba at the trade deadline was a top line center or a top 6 center + at the trade deadline. The Leafs (obviously) aren't moving Matthews or Tavares (and especially not for Dumba), so there isn't a trade to be made between the Wild and the Leafs unless a third team is involved and we end up with a good center.
reelkena, NoDeke, BDIBIT and 1 other person liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 3:52 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Quoting: TanSor
I disagree completely that the Leafs could pull this off, highly doubt Guerin takes this package. For one, we have zero need for more wingers since we have 10 top 9 wings with Kaprizov coming. For two, the whole reason we'd trade Dumba is because we have too many top 4 D, we don't need Lehtonen or Dermott. Finally, our owner wants to contend every year and making a trade for a 2021 pick does not accomplish that. I was honestly shocked he let Guerin move Zucker for a first this year.

The Wild need centers desperately and by all reports the ask for Dumba at the trade deadline was a top line center or a top 6 center + at the trade deadline. The Leafs (obviously) aren't moving Matthews or Tavares (and especially not for Dumba), so there isn't a trade to be made between the Wild and the Leafs unless a third team is involved and we end up with a good center.

Holy ****, a reasonable rebuttal that goes against what I thought. I will look into Min's needs and reevaluate my position. Take notes other people. Disagreeing with reasons is better than "nope, not doing this" all the time.
TanSor and BDIBIT liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 3:56 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Does this mean Dumba is only getting traded as a piece for a better player if you dont need forwards defense or picks?
TanSor liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
Holy ****, a reasonable rebuttal that goes against what I thought. I will look into Min's needs and reevaluate my position. Take notes other people. Disagreeing with reasons is better than "nope, not doing this" all the time.

Our biggest needs are a good center and possibly goaltending. We have great blue liners (Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba, and Soucy all belong in the top 4) and good but not great wingers aside from Fiala and potentially Kaprizov. Koivu will most likely retire so right now we're looking at 1 year of Staal, Eriksson Ek (who is good but more of a defensive middle 6 C), Rask (belongs in the AHL), and Sturm (probably our 4C next year). Not exactly an inspiring group, lol.

Also I didn't mean to come off as an ass but rereading my comment I kind of did, so my apologies. I'm just a little sick of all the Toronto threads where we get some combination of Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott, Kerfoot, and another add like a pick.
reelkena liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 4:02 p.m.
Does this mean Dumba is only getting traded as a piece for a better player if you dont need forwards defense or picks?

Potentially, I guess it depends on how good you think Dumba is. I do think we only move him for a center, or for a package of something like a first this year and a really promising center prospect that's nearly NHL ready. A lot of Leafs fans think he's a #4/5D that can't defend for his life but that's not the case at all. He had a rough year this year but it was completely in his head. Dumba's problem is he needs to be scoring in order to be good in his own zone. When he's not scoring he forces plays and makes bad reads which causes him to look bad (much like Gardiner did). When he's producing, he's a really good two-way player and belongs on the top pairing but his value is at an all-time low after the season he had.
reelkena liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Potentially, I guess it depends on how good you think Dumba is. I do think we only move him for a center, or for a package of something like a first this year and a really promising center prospect that's nearly NHL ready. A lot of Leafs fans think he's a #4/5D that can't defend for his life but that's not the case at all. He had a rough year this year but it was completely in his head. Dumba's problem is he needs to be scoring in order to be good in his own zone. When he's not scoring he forces plays and makes bad reads which causes him to look bad (much like Gardiner did). When he's producing, he's a really good two-way player and belongs on the top pairing but his value is at an all-time low after the season he had.

Toronto just doesn't have these pieces to move. I think both teams should look elsewhere. Anyone who says that about Dumba is kidding themselves and your comments seemed perfectly fine. Maybe you should post a Dumba trade to a different team.
TanSor liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 9:45 p.m.

I mean that makes sense but Guerin can always flip them if he wants to. He can get more assets on defense where they need more help.
May 24, 2020 at 9:48 p.m.
Edited May 24, 2020 at 9:56 p.m.
Quoting: ivan092033
I mean that makes sense but Guerin can always flip them if he wants to. He can get more assets on defense where they need more help.

Teams generally want quality over quantity. It's a lot easier to trade a great defenseman for a center over some complimentary players and a first. Plus, why go through the trouble of trading Dumba for this then flipping this for a center when we could just trade Dumba for a center...
May 24, 2020 at 9:56 p.m.
Teams generally want quality over quantity. It's a lot easier to trade a great defenseman for a center over some complimentary players and a first. Plus, why go through the trouble of trading Brodin for this then flipping this for a center when we could just trade Brodin for a center...

Fair enough but Toronto specifically has to give those guys up since they don't have anything else of value that takes on a small-medium sized contract other than Johnsson and Kapanen
TanSor liked this.
May 24, 2020 at 10:00 p.m.
Fair enough but Toronto specifically has to give those guys up since they don't have anything else of value that takes on a small-medium sized contract other than Johnsson and Kapanen

And this is exactly why there's isn't a trade to be made between the Wild and Leafs. The Wild need a top 6 center and the two the Leafs have are far more valuable than Dumba/Brodin. Even if you think Nylander can play C like I do, he's more valuable than Dumba and Brodin.
May 24, 2020 at 10:01 p.m.
And this is exactly why there's isn't a trade to be made between the Wild and Leafs. The Wild need a top 6 center and the two the Leafs have are far more valuable than Dumba/Brodin. Even if you think Nylander can play C like I do, he's more valuable than Dumba and Brodin.

So u think Dumba and the Leafs are not a match?
May 24, 2020 at 10:05 p.m.
So u think Dumba and the Leafs are not a match?

I think Dumba is great for the Leafs, they just don't have/(rightfully) aren't willing to give up the assets we need in return for him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll