Forums/Armchair-GM

Peace and Quiet

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2020
Published: May 25, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hawks don't (can't) spent big in free agency and they continue that tradition here and pick up a defensively reliable winger to play on a line with Strome and Debrincat at an affordable price. This is the role I had hoped Andrew Shaw would play after he was traded back here, but between his injuries and prior underachievement, that ship seems to have sailed. Fast seems more capable to playing that role anyways. Fast being on the 3rd line also allows for Carpenter to be bumped down to the 4th line and Kampf to the press box, which I think makes the 4th line more effective. I don't know who would play center on that line but I hope Highmore gets a shot, I really like him.

I want a quiet offseason. No more stupid, unnecessary trades (unless they're ones I've suggested in the past of course). I really think that if this team is healthy next season, we'll see a lot of growth out of the young guys and maybe even the playoffs (I'll be saying that every year until Toews and Kane are gone).
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,750,000
2$4,500,000
3$2,000,000
1$1,650,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,000,000
4$3,000,000
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$70,752,764$1,090,244$4,200,000$10,747,236
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 25, 2020 at 12:15 p.m.
Problem is Colliton loves Kampf. I don't see him in the press box any time soon. I prefer Kampf to Carpenter anyways. Also, Ian Mitchell is pretty much a lock to make the team. He's better now than Boqvist was a year ago when he made the team. Mitchell is easily better than Koekkoek and Maata at this point. Also would love to see Beaudan/Carlson get ice time up in the NHL but guess I understand it if they take another year in Rockford.
exo2769 liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 12:24 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Wadejos123
Problem is Colliton loves Kampf. I don't see him in the press box any time soon. I prefer Kampf to Carpenter anyways. Also, Ian Mitchell is pretty much a lock to make the team. He's better now than Boqvist was a year ago when he made the team. Mitchell is easily better than Koekkoek and Maata at this point. Also would love to see Beaudan/Carlson get ice time up in the NHL but guess I understand it if they take another year in Rockford.

I don't see either Carlsson or Beaudin on the team to start next season unless they have great camps. I do like both of them a lot though, Beaudin especially and would love to see them in the NHL at some point next season.

As for Maatta and Koekkoek, they were our best pair this season (low bar, but they were very good). One solution is trading De Haan/Maatta, moving Koekkoek back to the left side sliding Mitchell in with whoever stays. Another is actually going through with the Murphy for Kapanen deal everyone keeps going on about, but I'm not a big believer in that one.

Why do you think Mitchell is so good? Haven't heard much about him since last offseason when he decided to stay in college but it looks like he had a nice year. Even then, he doesn't strike me as a guy who will step right into the NHL like some of his contemporaries did this season, but then again I'm pretty clueless on him
May 25, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Wadejos123

JC loves him, but I also like him more than Highmore. He's their 2nd best face off guy...and they'll need someone else besides Toews. Let's allow Ian Mitchell at least one NHL game before we start saying he's better than the other prospects. I know Makar made a huge impact immediately, but that's not the norm. Agreed on everything you said on Beaudin/Carlson. Nothing wrong with getting more development.
May 25, 2020 at 12:29 p.m.
exo2769
Why did you sign Fast? Is it because we need a speedy winger...and his name is fast? I think we can spend $3M in better ways, no?
May 25, 2020 at 1:03 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: exo2769
Why did you sign Fast? Is it because we need a speedy winger...and his name is fast? I think we can spend $3M in better ways, no?

Lol, I don’t know if he has above average speed but if he does that would be more than welcome.

He’s very good defensively and plays well on a line with Strome and Panarin. He can contribute to the offense, but still play well enough to help keep the puck out of his own net. I don’t see that with Carpenter or Sikura, who would be the other candidates for being on Strome and DeBrincat’s wing, assuming it isn’t Kane and they’re being kept together. I think of him as a stabilizer, if that makes sense. For a team that struggles with defense, I think that’s putting $3 million to good use
May 25, 2020 at 1:25 p.m.
Highmore has been playing wing, he's not really a NHL center and agree that Highmore has played really well and deserves a spot. However, Kampf takes that center role and Highmore on the left on that 4th line. Carps is aging and is not a game in and game out guy. Caggs plays the offside or gets moved up to play with Dach and Kane and Nylander to the 4RW as he did really well in that role.

The Kubalik - Toews - saad line was the best line, no reason to break that line up and nylander has no business on the 1st line...tried that painful experiment too many times last year and never worked. Nylander should be playing bottom 9 and when he played on the 3rd and 4th lines he looked his best.

Kubalik won't get $4.5M after one season, he'll get a 1 or 2 year deal true, but not at $4.5M.

Mitchell for sure is coming up. The guy was supposed to turn pro last year but he wanted to spend one more year at Denver to try to win a championship and further develop. He is one of the best, if not the best, NCAA defenseman this past season.

Koekko won't get $2M nor is he worth that with the amount of 3rd liners we have backed up in a logjam. Carlsson has shown he can play and at some point Beaudin will get a fair look. For that reason, pretty sure the Hawks move on from one of De Haan, Maatta or Koekko as there is simply not room for all of them and nor should they be blocking the young promising guys (Mitchell, Carlsson, Beaudin).
May 25, 2020 at 1:27 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
How ready is Delia?
Curious.
May 25, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Trickster
How ready is Delia?
Curious.

He’s probably ready to be a backup, took a step back in the AHL this season but he was good when he was up last season. Him and Kevin Lankinen will fight it out for the job next season and I give it to Delia in all my ACGMs because he has NHL experience, but it could just as easily be Lankinen
Trickster liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 4:07 p.m.
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
I don't see either Carlsson or Beaudin on the team to start next season unless they have great camps. I do like both of them a lot though, Beaudin especially and would love to see them in the NHL at some point next season.

As for Maatta and Koekkoek, they were our best pair this season (low bar, but they were very good). One solution is trading De Haan/Maatta, moving Koekkoek back to the left side sliding Mitchell in with whoever stays. Another is actually going through with the Murphy for Kapanen deal everyone keeps going on about, but I'm not a big believer in that one.

Why do you think Mitchell is so good? Haven't heard much about him since last offseason when he decided to stay in college but it looks like he had a nice year. Even then, he doesn't strike me as a guy who will step right into the NHL like some of his contemporaries did this season, but then again I'm pretty clueless on him

Mitchell is everything Boqvist is plus he's better in the defensive zone. The only thing Boqvist has on Mitchell is his shot, other than that, Mitchell is just as good or better in every way coming in than Boqvist is. So maybe Mitchell doesn't have that #1 PP quarterback type of potential, but he more than makes up for it in the defensive zone which is where most hawks fans will admit Boqvist needs to improve. Mitchell was the best player on a pretty darn good Denver team, played in every situation, and played very well. Should transition to the NHL the same or better than Boqvist did.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 4:07 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: ChiHawk
Highmore has been playing wing, he's not really a NHL center and agree that Highmore has played really well and deserves a spot. However, Kampf takes that center role and Highmore on the left on that 4th line. Carps is aging and is not a game in and game out guy. Caggs plays the offside or gets moved up to play with Dach and Kane and Nylander to the 4RW as he did really well in that role.

The Kubalik - Toews - saad line was the best line, no reason to break that line up and nylander has no business on the 1st line...tried that painful experiment too many times last year and never worked. Nylander should be playing bottom 9 and when he played on the 3rd and 4th lines he looked his best.

Kubalik won't get $4.5M after one season, he'll get a 1 or 2 year deal true, but not at $4.5M.

Mitchell for sure is coming up. The guy was supposed to turn pro last year but he wanted to spend one more year at Denver to try to win a championship and further develop. He is one of the best, if not the best, NCAA defenseman this past season.

Koekko won't get $2M nor is he worth that with the amount of 3rd liners we have backed up in a logjam. Carlsson has shown he can play and at some point Beaudin will get a fair look. For that reason, pretty sure the Hawks move on from one of De Haan, Maatta or Koekko as there is simply not room for all of them and nor should they be blocking the young promising guys (Mitchell, Carlsson, Beaudin).

Gonna just address the big points I disagree with:

I’m still playing Carpenter over Kampf. Helped the PK a lot this season and at 29 (30 next season), I’m not super concerned about his age given the role he’s expected to play. Kampf is better in the faceoff circle, but otherwise, I’m taking Carpy over him every day.

I like Saad up on the top line too, but I have concerns about Kane trying to carry a line with, say, Dach and Nylander. I know splitting up all of the kids isn’t always necessary but Toews and Kubalik can carry a line. I’d be interested in seeing if another year under his belt could help him contribute to that.

I don’t know what Kubalik (and Strome for that matter) will get in free agency, I always tend to worse-case-scenario it. Strome I just put whatever at this point, I think $3.75 MM is what he’s worth. Kubalik is different to me, Panarin was better and had proved it for longer but I used his bridge deal as a comparable and gave Kuby less to compensate for the other factors. To me he’s worth $4-$4.5 million and considering his contract now, he could get it.

Koekkoek is definitely worth that contract and maybe more. His underlying numbers were excellent both this year and last and he can play both sides effectively. Seeing that he’ll almost certainly be cheaper than Maatta and CDH, I think he’s definitely going to be kept, assuming management sees these pros in his game and situation. Between the other two, I don’t know who you move; De Haan is great but his injuries tank his value and Maatta, as much as I like him, is overpaid. Ideally you move one this offseason and many allow the other to get picked in expansion in 2021, that way we can ease our prospects into full duty top 6 time
May 25, 2020 at 4:56 p.m.
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Gonna just address the big points I disagree with:

I’m still playing Carpenter over Kampf. Helped the PK a lot this season and at 29 (30 next season), I’m not super concerned about his age given the role he’s expected to play. Kampf is better in the faceoff circle, but otherwise, I’m taking Carpy over him every day.

I like Saad up on the top line too, but I have concerns about Kane trying to carry a line with, say, Dach and Nylander. I know splitting up all of the kids isn’t always necessary but Toews and Kubalik can carry a line. I’d be interested in seeing if another year under his belt could help him contribute to that.

I don’t know what Kubalik (and Strome for that matter) will get in free agency, I always tend to worse-case-scenario it. Strome I just put whatever at this point, I think $3.75 MM is what he’s worth. Kubalik is different to me, Panarin was better and had proved it for longer but I used his bridge deal as a comparable and gave Kuby less to compensate for the other factors. To me he’s worth $4-$4.5 million and considering his contract now, he could get it.

Koekkoek is definitely worth that contract and maybe more. His underlying numbers were excellent both this year and last and he can play both sides effectively. Seeing that he’ll almost certainly be cheaper than Maatta and CDH, I think he’s definitely going to be kept, assuming management sees these pros in his game and situation. Between the other two, I don’t know who you move; De Haan is great but his injuries tank his value and Maatta, as much as I like him, is overpaid. Ideally you move one this offseason and many allow the other to get picked in expansion in 2021, that way we can ease our prospects into full duty top 6 time

1) It shouldn't be Carps versus Kampf. Both are similar players, Kampf plays the PK as well, but Kampf is younger so he needs to play to develop more and he's better offensively by quite a bit over Carps. Again, not a Kampf versus Carps argument, both should play but Highmore has earned a spot and he's not a center he's a winger despite what this says on CF. Highmore - Kampf - Carps is a good line. If you're going to sign Fast, which I don't think you should, then Carps is out in favor of Caggs as Caggs is better then Carps. However, you should throw Caggs on the 3rd line instead of Fast.

2) Nylander has shown he can't play against the opponents top lines, he gets hesitant and scared and can't win a board battle to save his life. Nylander is a big liability on the top line and Kubs-Toews-Saad was by far the best line the Hawks had this season. Keep them together and producing and playing 200ft of ice against the opponents biggest and fastest players.

3) You can't compare Panarin to Kubalik. Not only did Panarin play longer, but he was far and away a better player....Panarin is a play maker, Kubalik is a shooter...totally different players. Snipers simply don't earn what playmakers do like MArner, Kane, Panarin. Skinner would be a better comparable to Kubalik and I think pretty much everyone on here and most GMs in the league would agree that Skinner is overpaid. Kubs has one season under his belt, you can't give him a lot of money for 1 season, you sign him for 1 or 2 years on a bridge based on a 1 year of success. Kubalik and the Hawks could say 1 year deal for $3.5M...if he repeats his performance he will get a $5m to $6.5m and if he doesn't that's the risk.

4) I agree except Koekko isn't worth $2M. We need to trade or buyout at least one of Koekko, Maatta or De Haan and likely it will be Maatta. Carlsson has been solid so no reason he can't be played and certainly is better then Seeler. Koekko played well but also had some big brain farts. If he doesn't sign for under $1.5M we need to trade his RFA rights.

5) It's also a very very long shot that the league agrees to a CBO. Now that they are doing the playoffs, very unlikely it's happening. For that reason, signing someone like Fast can't happen, Koekko can't be making $2M and if that's the case trade him, Maatta is gone, and we should pay Kubs between $3.5M and $4M.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll