$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 25, 2020 at 1:47 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Deal
May 25, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
Chicago shouldn't touch this. Not that the value is not there, but removing both Strome and Dach destroys our center depth, plus losing the 9th OA pick (Lundell also a center). Hawks can't recover from this in the center.
May 25, 2020 at 1:49 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Chicago shouldn't touch this. Not that the value is not there, but removing both Strome and Dach destroys our center depth, plus losing the 9th OA pick (Lundell also a center). Hawks can't recover from this in the center.

You don't need center depth when you have Matthews and Toews down the middle getting 20 minutes a night each.
May 25, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Quality>quantity
May 25, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Banned
I will never understand why a person will call themselves a Leaf fan but then want to trade our best player.
KeepUps15 and SociallyHawkward liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.

Saad-Matthews-Kane as our 1st line and we probably win the cup, and I would be fine with another 4 ****ty years if it meant winning one more. The only problem I see here is that there is absolutely no way we can afford Matthews and Johnsson unless there is a CBO, which has been stated as highly unlikely at this point
ChiHawk and SociallyHawkward liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Edited May 25, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
Saad-Matthews-Kane as our 1st line and we probably win the cup, and I would be fine with another 4 ****ty years if it meant winning one more. The only problem I see here is that there is absolutely no way we can afford Matthews and Johnsson unless there is a CBO, which has been stated as highly unlikely at this point

Possibly, at least we'd have a nice run in the playoffs, but I'd rather see Kap come over as we have then Saad, Kubalik, Cat on the left side. Wouldn't play Kubalik and Cat on the same line either given that they are both shooters, and as we know, Kane and Matthews would NEED Saad as they both don't play defense. 2nd line of Kubalik - Toews - Kap would be strong so that top 6 would be incredible. Rather see us dish off Cat instead of Dach in the trade because of this.
May 25, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
I will never understand why a person will call themselves a Leaf fan but then want to trade our best player.

The answer is you to trade one big cap player and the best player in the trade to get multiple pieces cheaper pieces and a couple of futures. Hoping to get better now and in the future. Not saying the trade would be done, but that's the logic and really the Leafs probably wouldn't get a better deal for Matthews due to his high contract and term for only for more years.
May 25, 2020 at 2:01 p.m.

I know. How dare he trade Johnsson
PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood, SlickWilly, sabres1108 and 3 others liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
The answer is you to trade one big cap player and the best player in the trade to get multiple pieces cheaper pieces and a couple of futures. Hoping to get better now and in the future. Not saying the trade would be done, but that's the logic and really the Leafs probably wouldn't get a better deal for Matthews due to his high contract and term for only for more years.

When you look at teams that win the cup, almost all of them do so on the shoulders of their elite players. Toews and Kane in Chicago, Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh, Bergeron and Chara for Boston, Kopitar and Doughty in LA, Ovie in Washington. St Louis was a bit of an outlier in the sense they don't really have any super elite forwards but O'Rielly was a force and is very underrated. The point I am making is taking out Matthews and have 2 or 3 okay players in his stead doesn't do anything but make the team weaker. The Islanders despite having a good regular season record the past 2 years are not cup contenders. When push comes to shove in a long series, game breakers rise to the challenge. Matthews is that, so is JT and Marner and Nylander. Moving any of those guys for 2nd liners that make less money won't get you past the perfection line, or Crosby and Malkin. Matthews can match those guys though and I think soon will surpass almost every other player in the NHL asside from McDavid and McKinnon. You just don't trade super elite talent.

The difference between Matthews and any of the guys in this trade is massive, the difference between these guys and a guy like Kapanen isn't that much. I don't mean to take anything away from those guys they are all good players but they are not and I don't think ever will be super elites.
sabres1108 liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: jmac490
I know. How dare he trade Johnsson

Lol
May 25, 2020 at 2:14 p.m.
Edited May 25, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.

this is such a ridiculous comment

"meh Auston Matthews is a top 5 Center in the NHL and all, still really young, #1overall pick, 40 goals etc etc...BUT id much rather have a killer 1-2 punch down the middle of Kirby Dach and Dylan Strome?!? im dying hahahahaha
deleted_x_213212 liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 2:14 p.m.
When you look at teams that win the cup, almost all of them do so on the shoulders of their elite players. Toews and Kane in Chicago, Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh, Bergeron and Chara for Boston, Kopitar and Doughty in LA, Ovie in Washington. St Louis was a bit of an outlier in the sense they don't really have any super elite forwards but O'Rielly was a force and is very underrated. The point I am making is taking out Matthews and have 2 or 3 okay players in his stead doesn't do anything but make the team weaker. The Islanders despite having a good regular season record the past 2 years are not cup contenders. When push comes to shove in a long series, game breakers rise to the challenge. Matthews is that, so is JT and Marner and Nylander. Moving any of those guys for 2nd liners that make less money won't get you past the perfection line, or Crosby and Malkin. Matthews can match those guys though and I think soon will surpass almost every other player in the NHL asside from McDavid and McKinnon. You just don't trade super elite talent.

The difference between Matthews and any of the guys in this trade is massive, the difference between these guys and a guy like Kapanen isn't that much. I don't mean to take anything away from those guys they are all good players but they are not and I don't think ever will be super elites.

yup Toronto is getting fleeced here
May 25, 2020 at 2:16 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

you got get more for a top 10 player in the league who is only 22 years old this trade would be amazing being that Im a sabres fan lol toronto is getting ripped off bad
May 25, 2020 at 2:16 p.m.
Banned

because hes a leafs AND sens fan
May 25, 2020 at 2:17 p.m.

Yeah and Tavares, Marner, Reilly and Nylander arent good enough to build round?

Trade Strome and Murphy for picks and you can grab Pietrangelo too.
May 25, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
Quoting: sabres1108
this is such a ridiculous comment

"meh Auston Matthews is a top 5 Center in the NHL and all, still really young, #1overall pick, 40 goals etc etc...BUT id much rather have a killer 1-2 punch down the middle or Kirby Dach and Dylan Strome?!? im dying hahahahaha

Try doing the math and figuring out the lines plus projecting out a couple years before you die laughing, because we only have a few years before Matthews is a UFA, Toews and Kanes contracts are up, and notably Toews's play will regress.

Giving up Strome, Nylander, Dach, and the 9th OA completely guts our youth and we are left with huge Matthews contract and the huge Toews contract. Where do we get young players with low cap hits to fill in that are decent? ELC players with huge potential like Dach or the 9th OA or Nylander have a lot of value because of not only their potential but their low cap hits. One single player isn't going to change the Hawks going from a team that can't make the playoffs to winning a cup. 23 guys win cups, not one guy.

Be a critical thinker not a reactionary thinker; you'll get further.
Wadejos123 liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan

best player in that deal is dach, murphy is overrated, strome has his own issues that alot of teams wouldnt want to be associated with, and PSA just because alex nylander plays with his brother doesnt make them the sedins !! also doesnt raise his value just because his brother is there dumb trade,
May 25, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
Banned

And shorten the window by about 5 years. Matthews is untouchable
Edited May 25, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.

Hawks won the cups on the shoulders of Keith, Seabs, Kane, Toews and Crow; and most importantly Hossa. They were an extremely well balanced team that played great defense and had great goaltending. It takes more then 2 studs to win a cup and as the Leafs know, you can't put all your chips up front either which is why the Hawks shouldn't do this.
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Try doing the math and figuring out the lines plus projecting out a couple years before you die laughing, because we only have a few years before Matthews is a UFA, Toews and Kanes contracts are up, and notably Toews's play will regress.

Giving up Strome, Nylander, Dach, and the 9th OA completely guts our youth and we are left with huge Matthews contract and the huge Toews contract. Where do we get young players with low cap hits to fill in that are decent? ELC players with huge potential like Dach or the 9th OA or Nylander have a lot of value because of not only their potential but their low cap hits. One single player isn't going to change the Hawks going from a team that can't make the playoffs to winning a cup. 23 guys win cups, not one guy.

Chicago's window on Toews and Kane closes in 3 years. Do they wanna do a full rebuild now in which case they should trade those 2 for futures or do they wanna do a final push for another cup before they rebuild with Matthews as a core. That's the choice in this trade.
deleted_x_213212 liked this.
May 25, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
Even if the leafs were to entertain trading him this is not what what it would look like. maybe replace Mathews with Nylander (not that the leafs are shopping him either)
May 25, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
Quoting: vr1995
best player in that deal is dach, murphy is overrated, strome has his own issues that alot of teams wouldnt want to be associated with, and PSA just because alex nylander plays with his brother doesnt make them the sedins !! also doesnt raise his value just because his brother is there dumb trade,

You forgot about the pick that we can use to draft franchise goalie and cost controlled Askarov.
May 25, 2020 at 2:37 p.m.

Huh? Both Toews and Kane's contracts are up a year prior to Matthews - Both will be 34/35 so why on earth would Chicago even consider resigning either player if they have Matthews coming up the following year?
May 25, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
You forgot about the pick that we can use to draft franchise goalie and cost controlled Askarov.

By the time Askarov is ready for the NHL, it will be at least 3 years from now and more likely 4 or 5. Goalies very rarely start playing at 21 years old (3 years from now) and more likely around 22 or 23 years old. I agree that would make sense for the Leafs but don't forget Matthews, Marner and Nylander all are in their late 20's, JT is gone (Dach would take over the 2C), but would give the time needed to clear some cap space and revamp the defense with some young guys.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll