Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs Are GOOD

Created by: Terry_AkiSauce
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2020
Published: May 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know everyone loves to hate the Leafs but they are one of the best teams in the NHL and are truly one player away from being a cup conteder which most teams can't say.

Leafs have the third best 1, 2 punch at centre behind Edmonton and Pitt. Kerfoot is a solid 3C and Spezza is a good 4C for another season.

Can't think of a single team that has the RW depth of the Leafs and the left wing side really compliments the skilled players on their lines (Hyman, Mikheyev, Johnsson, Engvall).

The LD is probably one of the better in the league with Rielly being a definitive top pairing guy, Muzzin being a really good defensive top 4 and Dermott, Sandin, and Lehtonen all pushing for top 4 minutes.

Leafs have one of the top goalies in the league in Freddy and although he had a down year, hes been unbelievably consistent throughout his career so he'll bounce back. Leafs injuries on the blueline didn't help. Campbell is also a really solid backup, no complaints about him after having a rotating door back there since Cmac left.

So, the only real weakness is the RD and cap space. They can move Johnsson and open up enough money to sign Demelo or another guy that can step in and play the PK and top 4 minutes while adding a pick or 2, maybe a prospect from the trade. Holl playing with Muzzin (as I'm sure you've heard from Leafs fans all year) was a solid second pairing. This leaves only the right side on the 3rd pairing, which will be made up of a combination of Sandin, Lehtonen and Dermott. Pretty good 3rd pairing, right? Forgot to mention we have a pretty good RD prospect in Liljegren too.

Leafs aren't trading Marner, Nylander, or Kapanen for a RD. They already have six NHL level defensemen and could add a 7th through free agency. Don't really see any issues with this team other than maybe the 4th line but if a couple Marlies can step into a bigger role or if Robertson can play in the NHL this year it'll fix itself.

Leafs ARE GOOD!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
1$700,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,250,000
1$700,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Best offer available
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,399,783$0$0$100,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 26, 2020 at 12:11 a.m.
Dubas isnt a genius
This has to be one of if not the best Leafs related post on this website. Thank you for saying it as it is.
Terry_AkiSauce and TMLSage liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 12:17 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Quoting: firezfurx
This has to be one of if not the best Leafs related post on this website. Thank you for saying it as it is.

Appreciate it, tired of reading about how we need to trade top players and lose value to be a good team
May 26, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
I think soup gets closer to 1.8 and Dermott gets the Holl contract. Maybe put Engvall on the 4th line and have Robertson on the 3rd LW. DeMelo probably takes the best offer he gets which might be as high as 4M.
GM CRIME DAWG
Still need two more for the 23-man roster.
As you know, Leafs had a ton of injuries last year and going forward calling up unproven Marlies to plug gapping holes left by Rielly/Muzz et al. will not get you to the promised land.
Dubas isnt a genius
Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce
Appreciate it, tired of reading about how we need to trade top players and lose value to be a good team

People don't understand that once you start scrapping the team and throwing the plan out the window you have no idea what could happen. Chances are if we trade Marner for someone who won't have an equal impact on the team (Basically not an elite-RHD) we likely won't make the playoffs. He's paid a lot for a reason....

Also the defense. It isn't that bad. I personally would rather bring in Weegar (Johnsson + a pick) as he has crazy good defensive stats but DeMelo works too.

Probs the worse trade I've ever seen was Marner + Holl to NJ for Severson + 2nd + Bratt + prospect. It does NOTHING to make our team better. Sure it helps the cap situation but it also gets rid of our 2nd best player.
TMLSage liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 12:23 a.m.
Dubas isnt a genius
Quoting: McGruff
As you know, Leafs had a ton of injuries last year and going forward calling up unproven Marlies to plug gapping holes left by Reilley/Muzz et al. will not get you to the promised land.

We actually have pretty good AHL depth going forward. Korshkov/Barabanov (which ever one gets burried in the A), Lilypad, Goat, Brooks, etc.

We will need to deal Kerfoot and bring in someone cheaper (Wallmark?) and sign a cheaper RHD (trade for Weegar?) but it can be done;
May 26, 2020 at 12:24 a.m.
****ing right!! Well said!! People like to make fun of everything that the leafs have or haven’t done, but no one will get passed their Hatred for them and realize that they are a good team
May 26, 2020 at 12:25 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
As you know, Leafs had a ton of injuries last year and going forward calling up unproven Marlies to plug gapping holes left by Rielly/Muzz et al. will not get you to the promised land.

You don't need 23 roster players and what are you talking about unproven Marlies plugging holes not getting us to the promised land? Pretty sure if any team lost their 2 best dmen, they'd have unproven players from their AHL team playing
May 26, 2020 at 12:27 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Quoting: Dooobas
I think soup gets closer to 1.8 and Dermott gets the Holl contract. Maybe put Engvall on the 4th line and have Robertson on the 3rd LW. DeMelo probably takes the best offer he gets which might be as high as 4M.

That's why I did a 4 year deal, wonder if the Leafs would even give him more years and front load it to lower AAV. Didn't want to assume Robertson makes the team but if he did, it would certainly help
May 26, 2020 at 12:30 a.m.
Toronto is good. Very good. 1 player from beating great. Just hope the cap doesn’t crush this team like it did Chicago. Super fun team to watch offensively.
May 26, 2020 at 12:35 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: firezfurx
We actually have pretty good AHL depth going forward. Korshkov/Barabanov (which ever one gets burried in the A), Lilypad, Goat, Brooks, etc.

We will need to deal Kerfoot and bring in someone cheaper (Wallmark?) and sign a cheaper RHD (trade for Weegar?) but it can be done;

"Done" to get you guys to 12th overall and yeah GOOD or does this franchise want to be elite?
I was thinking tonight - the last time TO was relevant ('92-94 ish) they had a farm in St. John's w/ Crow and Coach-Q grooming the kids. Those TML teams were loaded w/ baby Leafs who were x-factors such as Felix/Rhodes/Pearson/Warriner/Manderville/Eastwood etc. Not so much now...
May 26, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
"Done" to get you guys to 12th overall and yeah GOOD or does this franchise want to be elite?
I was thinking tonight - the last time TO was relevant ('92-94 ish) they had a farm in St. John's w/ Crow and Coach-Q grooming the kids. Those TML teams were loaded w/ baby Leafs who were x-factors such as Felix/Rhodes/Pearson/Warriner/Manderville/Eastwood etc. Not so much now...

What are you even saying? Our whole team is made up of young, drafted and developed players. Johnsson, Kapanen, Engvall, Dermott, Holl, Sandin have all been or are all going to be difference makers. Such a clueless comment. Having a GOOD AHL farm when you already have your top 6 filled with elite players is great
TMLSage liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
You don't need 23 roster players and what are you talking about unproven Marlies plugging holes not getting us to the promised land? Pretty sure if any team lost their 2 best dmen, they'd have unproven players from their AHL team playing

Every team has injuries.
CBJ and WPG lead the league and persevered nicely...
'Good' is middle of the pack drafting - kinda like purgatory.
'Great' is being the last pick in the 1st round OR if you prefer the "1st pick in the 2nd-round"...
May 26, 2020 at 12:47 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Every team has injuries.
CBJ and WPG lead the league and persevered nicely...
'Good' is middle of the pack drafting - kinda like purgatory.
'Great' is being the last pick in the 1st round OR if you prefer the "1st pick in the 2nd-round"...

Leafs were the 3rd most impacted team for injuries behind Pitt and Colorado so I guess you're just pulling teams out of your ass.
And do you mean drafting Robertson 53rd overall and having him already be ranked as a top 15-20 prospect in the league after less than a year? Can't tell if you're trying to troll or just an uninformed leafs hater, either way not gonna be responding to you anymore
May 26, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
What are you even saying? Our whole team is made up of young, drafted and developed players. Johnsson, Kapanen, Engvall, Dermott, Holl, Sandin have all been or are all going to be difference makers. Such a clueless comment. Having a GOOD AHL farm when you already have your top 6 filled with elite players is great

First off, lets save "ELITE" for Connor and Sid; they deserve it NOT Zach Hyman/Mik and Willy...
My comment is not clueless, but thanks for being the first to go down that avenue - I would have put money on it but the Vegas bookies are closed.
justaBoss liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 12:54 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Leafs were the 3rd most impacted team for injuries behind Pitt and Colorado so I guess you're just pulling teams out of your ass.
And do you mean drafting Robertson 53rd overall and having him already be ranked as a top 15-20 prospect in the league after less than a year? Can't tell if you're trying to troll or just an uninformed leafs hater, either way not gonna be responding to you anymore

Rankings don't mean anything (period).
He looks like a good player and he's been good in WJ play but until he makes the show we'll have to wait...
Have a wonderful evening. Sorry to make your blood boil (breathe; breathe)...you should really have that checked!
May 26, 2020 at 1:07 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
@Terry_AkiSauce:
Hey TA, if you just want to talk buddy buddy w/ Leaf fans then you're in the wrong show. Like it or not, this is an ACGM site for the entire league. I have a background knowledge in TO going back to the 1990s and have an opinion on them and other NHL clubs.
chillax bro
May 26, 2020 at 1:14 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
@Terry_AkiSauce:
Hey TA, if you just want to talk buddy buddy w/ Leaf fans then you're in the wrong show. Like it or not, this is an ACGM site for the entire league. I have a background knowledge in TO going back to the 1990s and have an opinion on them and other NHL clubs.
chillax bro

I think you're the one thats not chill after commenting a bunch of times in a row. Just not going to discuss when you're clearly looking at the leafs through an exaggerated negative outlook. Saying that rankings don't mean anything and ignoring the facts that Robertson is one of the best prospects not in the NHL yet and that he was an unreal pick at 53 is just ridiculous. Plus Matthews, Tavares and Marner are all elite, Nylander is borderline elite and no team has 6 elite players in their top 2 lines, its about having balance with players that compliment well. Hyman is elite at what he does for that line
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 1:27 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
I think you're the one thats not chill after commenting a bunch of times in a row. Just not going to discuss when you're clearly looking at the leafs through an exaggerated negative outlook. Saying that rankings don't mean anything and ignoring the facts that Robertson is one of the best prospects not in the NHL yet and that he was an unreal pick at 53 is just ridiculous. Plus Matthews, Tavares and Marner are all elite, Nylander is borderline elite and no team has 6 elite players in their top 2 lines, its about having balance with players that compliment well. Hyman is elite at what he does for that line

Well one time I posted was because you left me hanging...

I am not exaggerated, I am trying to be rationale or semi-rationale at least.

I said I liked Robertson - but not because of some dumb ranking. I like him because the few times I got to watch him play he forced me to notice him because he was a "dominant player'. However, the minors are littered w/ "players" so let's agree to wait on Robertson (he's not in the team above anyways)...

I do agree that young AM (elite-ish)/JT (elite) and MM will be very soon...

Hyman is VERY GOOD at what he does whereas Connor Mac/Sid are def ELITE at what they do...
May 26, 2020 at 1:30 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
Well one time I posted was because you left me hanging...

I am not exaggerated, I am trying to be rationale or semi-rationale at least.

I said I liked Robertson - but not because of some dumb ranking. I like him because the few times I got to watch him play he forced me to notice him because he was a "dominant player'. However, the minors are littered w/ "players" so let's agree to wait on Robertson (he's not in the team above anyways)...

I do agree that young AM (elite-ish)/JT (elite) and MM will be very soon...

Hyman is VERY GOOD at what he does whereas Connor Mac/Sid are def ELITE at what they do...

If you think JT is more elite than Matthews then I can't take your opinions seriously anymore. Also Robertson had comparable G/GP of Lemieux in the OHL this year, not just another 'player'
May 26, 2020 at 1:39 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
If you think JT is more elite than Matthews then I can't take your opinions seriously anymore. Also Robertson had comparable G/GP of Lemieux in the OHL this year, not just another 'player'

You only read what you want to read and I can't help you with that...

JT is an experienced vet (2 x WJ Gold, OLY Gold, WC Gold) and he's earned the status. Sheesh, give him some props for C-sake.
AM is but a pup yet, so let's not entitle him too soon and hand him the keys to the kingdom.

Paraphrasing McGruff:
"Dominant player" for Robertson above (check your glasses)...
May 26, 2020 at 1:41 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Ajp_18
Toronto is good. Very good. 1 player from beating great. Just hope the cap doesn’t crush this team like it did Chicago. Super fun team to watch offensively.

What crushes Chicago was playoff hero bottom 6 guys getting way too much money. Like Kilger getting 4 million and other bad contracts like that. Seabrook for example, guys that you just know aren't going to be able to keep up. They then had to move good young depth to correct those mistakes and didn't initially draft well to supplant that talent. For TO to follow that they would have to over spend on FA's like DeMelo or give guys like Kapanen 5+ like many on this site said he deserved. Keep the depth valuable and cost effective, the moment you over pay you end with an Andrew Laad or a Backes or Lucic. Dubas has been excellent at not doing that. Johnsson will be moved I think because he can be and replaced with Barbarov, Korshkov or Robertson. Having no subs just so you can give an okay older defenceman too much money and term, is unwise.bb
May 26, 2020 at 1:46 a.m.
Banned
You only read what you want to read and I can't help you with that...

JT is an experienced vet (2 x WJ Gold, OLY Gold, WC Gold) and he's earned the status. Sheesh, give him some props for C-sake.
AM is but a pup yet, so let's not entitle him too soon and hand him the keys to the kingdom.

Paraphrasing McGruff:
"Dominant player" for Robertson above (check your glasses)...

It's funny because from an advanced stats point of view, Matthews is top 5 player in the league. Both McDavid and Draisaitl get so much praise but this season both had negative metrics in a lot of defensive areas but scored a pile of PP points to pad the stats. When refs put away their whistles who contributes the most at 5v5 are the most elite and very few match what Matthews does, less than 10 players do. Still guys like you will say he sucks defensively despite zero evidence of that. Yeah he scores a pile of goals, yeah he's flashy but he's also very good without the puck and getting much better.
TMLSage liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 1:50 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
It's funny because from an advanced stats point of view, Matthews is top 5 player in the league. Both McDavid and Draisaitl get so much praise but this season both had negative metrics in a lot of defensive areas but scored a pile of PP points to pad the stats. When refs put away their whistles who contributes the most at 5v5 are the most elite and very few match what Matthews does, less than 10 players do. Still guys like you will say he sucks defensively despite zero evidence of that. Yeah he scores a pile of goals, yeah he's flashy but he's also very good without the puck and getting much better.

I assume the "guy like you, is me"
I never said one word anywhere ^ ^ ^ about his D-play sucking - put down the bong it's late mofo!
May 26, 2020 at 2:09 a.m.
GM - Canucks
This is a truly great post and as a diehard Leafs fan you are totally accurate on your comments. The Leafs are assembling a true powerhouse team in the NHL and Dubas is miles ahead of most other GM's and the fruit is getting ready to harvest. Leafs are going to become a truly dominate team for years and the fun is just about to start.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll