SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

What needs to be added on either side for this to work

Created by: Greysuits
Published: May 26, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Season Days: 186/186 (100%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has been rejected because one of the teams exceeds the 23 player roster limit

Logo of the Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $6,675,000
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: -$3,875,357
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Montour, BrandonBuffalo SabresNHL-$3,387,500111---5451318--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Strome, DylanChicago BlackhawksNHL-$863,333111---58122638--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$10,550,3572245623411
Change$2,524,167000000
Final$13,074,524 (↑)224562341171320

Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksChicago Blackhawks

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $15,325,000
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: $1,336,667
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Strome, DylanChicago BlackhawksNHL-$863,333111---58122638--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Montour, BrandonBuffalo SabresNHL-$3,387,500111---5451318--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$13,988,3332445693612
Change-$2,524,167000000
Final$11,464,166 (↓)2445693612-7-130
May 27, 2020 at 2:27 a.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
It would depend on where their contracts would be at as both are RFA's but it money wasn't in this I would say Buf adds a 3rd.
mikearky liked this.
May 27, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.
Quoting: reelkena
It would depend on where their contracts would be at as both are RFA's but it money wasn't in this I would say Buf adds a 3rd.

This is nowhere even close and doesn't even fit a need of the blackhawks if I'm correct that Montour plays RHD. Even with Middlestat coming back I would reject it. Only way strome is getting traded is for a Meier or Hanifin type of player.
May 27, 2020 at 8:05 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Quoting: PAX
This is nowhere even close and doesn't even fit a need of the blackhawks if I'm correct that Montour plays RHD. Even with Middlestat coming back I would reject it. Only way strome is getting traded is for a Meier or Hanifin type of player.

It's very reasonable that this doesn't fit a need for the Hawks so fair enough. The question seemed to be more about is this value correct not is this a done deal from both sides and I took it as such. I'm not in depth on what Chi needs though.
May 27, 2020 at 9:08 p.m.
Dead inside
It's very reasonable that this doesn't fit a need for the Hawks so fair enough. The question seemed to be more about is this value correct not is this a done deal from both sides and I took it as such. I'm not in depth on what Chi needs though.

They need defencemen who can actually skate, so Montour would be a good fit (if they move or play some of their righties on the left side). I'm not confident that this solves the Blackhawks defensive woes but it seems to a decent attempt at resolving it.
reelkena liked this.
May 27, 2020 at 9:41 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Quoting: TheGreatMistake
They need defencemen who can actually skate, so Montour would be a good fit (if they move or play some of their righties on the left side). I'm not confident that this solves the Blackhawks defensive woes but it seems to a decent attempt at resolving it.

The Hawks also need to get their defense solidified before Keith and Seabrook close in on retirement and they start to look desperate. (I do know something about Chi)
Jun. 26, 2020 at 5:26 p.m.
Quoting: TheGreatMistake

The Hawks also need to get their defense solidified before Keith and Seabrook close in on retirement and they start to look desperate. (I do know something about Chi)

Both of you are wrong.

First off — With the cap being locked for the next 3 seasons at 81.5m, and the season following at 1m, it’s likely that we see at least one if not multiple compliance buyouts awarded throughout the league.

That being said, even if seabrook were to stay or Keith chose to retire over the next 3 years, we have a logjam of defensive talent already here.

Beyond Keith and Boqvist are the first pairing, we’re keeping DeHaan and Murphy who are both 29 and 27 years old. On top of this next year we are adding Mitchell and have a variety of prospects including Beaudin who are noted for their skating, as well as Carlsson who the management is sweet on. After that, from Vlasic, Regula, Demin, etc we have a lot in the pipeline 2-3 years out. Haven’t even mentioned Maatta who is likely not a part of the long term.

So for players who skate excellently and are puck movers we have Mitchell and Beaudin, followed by Boqvist who’s average, and then a lot of defensive defenseman most notably Vlasic after the veterans are long gone.

So in terms of needs, Montour doesn’t check the box there. The value provided by him doesn’t put him higher on the depth chart than any of those puck moving defenseman. Beyond that, the fact you think he’s there in value for Strome wouldn’t even fly in NHL20, not even if he was the same age at 23 years old. I could ramble on but this is an absolutely terrible trade for Chicago
Jun. 26, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Both of you are wrong.

First off — With the cap being locked for the next 3 seasons at 81.5m, and the season following at 1m, it’s likely that we see at least one if not multiple compliance buyouts awarded throughout the league.

That being said, even if seabrook were to stay or Keith chose to retire over the next 3 years, we have a logjam of defensive talent already here.

Beyond Keith and Boqvist are the first pairing, we’re keeping DeHaan and Murphy who are both 29 and 27 years old. On top of this next year we are adding Mitchell and have a variety of prospects including Beaudin who are noted for their skating, as well as Carlsson who the management is sweet on. After that, from Vlasic, Regula, Demin, etc we have a lot in the pipeline 2-3 years out. Haven’t even mentioned Maatta who is likely not a part of the long term.

So for players who skate excellently and are puck movers we have Mitchell and Beaudin, followed by Boqvist who’s average, and then a lot of defensive defenseman most notably Vlasic after the veterans are long gone.

So in terms of needs, Montour doesn’t check the box there. The value provided by him doesn’t put him higher on the depth chart than any of those puck moving defenseman. Beyond that, the fact you think he’s there in value for Strome wouldn’t even fly in NHL20, not even if he was the same age at 23 years old. I could ramble on but this is an absolutely terrible trade for Chicago

Obviously you know more about Chicago than I do so for the most part I will defer. But if you are planning on having an entire defense core with DeHaan as your veteran after Keith leaves I can tell you that will hurt the entire teams development. So i think one player will have to come in if Keith decides he doesn't want to play through the rebuild. Not Montour per say and it would be like two years from now but expect someone to come in and fill a second paring hole at some point.
Jun. 29, 2020 at 12:48 a.m.
Dead inside
Both of you are wrong.

You're wrong about a lot, but I will start by saying Beaudin's skating is not better than Boqvist's. He was never an excellent skater, not in juniors nor in the AHL, but he was an adequate puck mover due to his hockey IQ. Even Beaudin's scouting reports noted that he had issues skating backwards. While he can still improve, he'll never be what you're describing him as.

Second, it's a huge assumption to make that all the prospects you listed will even make the NHL, let alone provide substantive value. While I think a few of the prospects such as Carlsson, Demin, and Regula could be decent surprises, I think it doesn't make any sense to put all your eggs in that basket. Vlasic's development at Boston this year also didn't instill any confidence for his future.

While I personally would keep Strome and not make this trade, we don't know how Colliton feels about him as he had spent a decent time at wing and on the 3rd and 4th lines. If Stan and Colliton aren't sold on Strome and they think Dach is for sure going to be their No.1 in the near future, they might be willing to move him. I think that would be a mistake but if we were to trade him, I would be okay with getting a guy like Montour back, who's still in/entering his prime and is a good player. My main concern is that this obviously doesn't change the fact that we would still have to re-sign Strome or whomever if Strome is traded away.
Jun. 29, 2020 at 12:08 p.m.
u making strome out to be this great player .. he managed 36 pts playing mostly with kane and brincat ..thats not exactly all star material .. asimov did better then strome .. and far as D- prospects u taking big maybes on all of them were montour is NHL proven vet. none of them are READY right NOW is the point montour is ready right now.. kane keith toews chi is still in the window. montour is a tradeable commodity strome is a niche player .. despite the praise i seem to hear heaped upon him . HE IS just a depth player and will be over price depth player at that ..

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll