SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Just a thought

May 26, 2020 at 6:32 p.m.
What in tarnation
Now that we know the playoff format regarding the 5-12 position in each conference, I think this might make it a tad unfair position for the teams in 1-4 positions of each conference.

Just thought that maybe those TOP4 teams could make a best of 3 tournament in order to see who wins the President's trophy.

Instead of starting out cold against teams that have played up to 5 playoff games, they'd also get something to play for and warm up in a sense.

What do you think?
May 26, 2020 at 6:38 p.m.
Below Market Value
The top 4 teams will play a three game round robin to determine the 1-4 seeding, so they won't be going in cold.
Brian2016 liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 6:40 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
The top 4 teams will play a three game round robin to determine the 1-4 seeding, so they won't be going in cold.

Ah, is that so.

Never mind then.
May 28, 2020 at 12:32 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

which makes the entire season that was played up until this point, pointless.
May 28, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
which makes the entire season that was played up until this point, pointless.

Haha. Except for home ice advantage in that opening round you're def. right. Also cost Ovechkin another 50G season. What a shame!
May 28, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Haha. Except for home ice advantage in that opening round you're def. right. Also cost Ovechkin another 50G season. What a shame!

even home ice advantage in the first round... is there any fans in the seats? both teams are going to be rusty. I love the nhl. I want to see it continue. but this? nah this is gunna be a bleep show where some random team that shouldnt have even been in the playoffs to begin with wins because they expanded it and actually got real minutes in real games. The entire point of the "playoffs" for both players and owners is money. Money for this year, money for next years contracts. Its all a money grab. Look at whats going on with MLB. owners want to pork the players, players know they are baseball, without them theres no baseball.
Brian2016 liked this.
May 29, 2020 at 9:39 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
even home ice advantage in the first round... is there any fans in the seats? both teams are going to be rusty. I love the nhl. I want to see it continue. but this? nah this is gunna be a bleep show where some random team that shouldnt have even been in the playoffs to begin with wins because they expanded it and actually got real minutes in real games. The entire point of the "playoffs" for both players and owners is money. Money for this year, money for next years contracts. Its all a money grab. Look at whats going on with MLB. owners want to pork the players, players know they are baseball, without them theres no baseball.

I def. agree with what you're saying, but I'm just so desperate for hockey right now.

As far as the Draft goes, I hate the league's plan. If a team like DAL got knocked out in the play-in round, they'll have a shot at the 1st overall pick (if they have a 1st rounder, of course). Can you imagine the outrage around the league if DAL lands Lafrenierre?
May 30, 2020 at 3:27 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Brian2016
I def. agree with what you're saying, but I'm just so desperate for hockey right now.

As far as the Draft goes, I hate the league's plan. If a team like DAL got knocked out in the play-in round, they'll have a shot at the 1st overall pick (if they have a 1st rounder, of course). Can you imagine the outrage around the league if DAL lands Lafrenierre?

DAL is TOP4 in Western so they're not taking part in the round 24 and therefore not eligible for getting the first overall pick.

Imo the draft plan is ok. The lottery percentage is the same as it is normally, only thing that's changed is the fact that positions between 8-15 are unknown until further results.
May 30, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: justaBoss
DAL is TOP4 in Western so they're not taking part in the round 24 and therefore not eligible for getting the first overall pick.

Imo the draft plan is ok. The lottery percentage is the same as it is normally, only thing that's changed is the fact that positions between 8-15 are unknown until further results.

It's not the lottery percentages that bother me . . . it's the thought that third-best teams in three divisions and the second-best team in the hapless Pacific Division could get a lottery pick that isn't right. Imagine the incredible injustice of Edmonton winning the first overall pick yet again. That's an outrage waiting to happen.
May 30, 2020 at 5:58 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: OldNYIfan
It's not the lottery percentages that bother me . . . it's the thought that third-best teams in three divisions and the second-best team in the hapless Pacific Division could get a lottery pick that isn't right. Imagine the incredible injustice of Edmonton winning the first overall pick yet again. That's an outrage waiting to happen.

Had they lost the regular season they would've been eligible for that said pick. By the point the season was suspended EDM wasn't a clear playoff team.

I personally like to think this round 24 as a way to "end the regular season more quickly."

But yeah I can see your point.
UpsideDownQue and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 1, 2020 at 9:10 a.m.
what bothers me is they literally could have just rolled back the season to 68 games and taken the top 8 from each conference. This is entirely money driven and thats what makes me mad. Its collectively trying to be good for the sport but its gunna be dumb when one of the bottom 8 beats a top 4 because of rust or other factors.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll