Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 26, 2020 at 7:28 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Pelech also has negative metrics in most important stats. His PDO is above 1 as well. The team just was never that good, for over a year they outscored their expected goal share and that just doesn't last. Its like when a player scores a bunch of goals one year but had a shooting % that was incredibly high, it will average out and you'll see them fall back to earth. Like William Karlsson, he shot way above his career normals and when it fell back to normal numbers he was a 25 goal scorer. Still had the same number of chances and shots but didn't score at a ridiculous percentage.

Interesting, pelech 3 year xGAR (even strength defense) is 3.9, which is better than 91% of NHL defenseman. Keep it up with the confirmation bias!
Pmwalker liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 7:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Isles777
Now you use natstattrick lol - yes, the isles get "outplayed" because trotz doesn't care if the opposing team spends time in our zone, as long as shots are kept to the outside.

You know who else got lucky? Morgan Rielly with his insane shooting percentage last season. At least he got a Norris vote! He came back down to earth this season.

I won't deny that Rielly had a really lucky year last year. However, his possession numbers were above 50%, his shot share percentage was below 50 but his expected goals were above. So I am not sure what point you are making. Trotz keeping everyone to the outside only matters if thats what is happening but the majority of Islander players had negative expected goal percentages. That doesn't at all paint the picture that the Islanders are terrific defensively, they are pretty good but they don't create enough offense to outweigh what they give up defensively. They have been lucky. TO on the other hand has positive numbers almost across the board and this past season spent a long stretch at around .98 for their PDO.

As I have said many many times, I do believe in advance stats and think they tell a story but you need to understand more about hockey to know how all the pieces fit together. You clearly don't if you did you'd be incredibly worried about the Islanders. There is very little evidence that they are going to keep above water over the long run, they just don't have the talent to compete against better teams. They have a good system that limits some of the problems they have as a team but when the percentages swing back the other way as they always do, the Islanders just don't have the guns to outscore even normal luck.
May 26, 2020 at 7:33 p.m.
Isles7
I won't deny that Rielly had a really lucky year last year. However, his possession numbers were above 50%, his shot share percentage was below 50 but his expected goals were above. So I am not sure what point you are making. Trotz keeping everyone to the outside only matters if thats what is happening but the majority of Islander players had negative expected goal percentages. That doesn't at all paint the picture that the Islanders are terrific defensively, they are pretty good but they don't create enough offense to outweigh what they give up defensively. They have been lucky. TO on the other hand has positive numbers almost across the board and this past season spent a long stretch at around .98 for their PDO.

As I have said many many times, I do believe in advance stats and think they tell a story but you need to understand more about hockey to know how all the pieces fit together. You clearly don't if you did you'd be incredibly worried about the Islanders. There is very little evidence that they are going to keep above water over the long run, they just don't have the talent to compete against better teams. They have a good system that limits some of the problems they have as a team but when the percentages swing back the other way as they always do, the Islanders just don't have the guns to outscore even normal luck.

You talk like someone who would get mad if he found out one of the leafs players read books by Jordan peterson.
May 26, 2020 at 7:34 p.m.
Banned
according to his advanced metrics, he is a top pairing RHD. He is 2nd among all NHL defenseman in goals above replaced, hes in the 81st percentile defensively, and is top 10 in SPAR (standing points above replacement) since the 17-18 season. Shut the f*ck up lol

I don't spend money on those sites so I can't confirm what you are saying, but like everything else, you ignore everything in favour of whatever 1 singular stat makes you feel better. Expected goals is one of the best factors to determine a players ability. If you create enough offense and defend well enough to have the positive expected goal shares, over 100 games, that results in wins. The Islanders are a negative team in that regard, eventually the lucks going to run out. But please ignore all those stats, insult me for not believing in advanced stats and then use 1 or 2 isolated numbers to make yourself feel good. You're a joke and all the say that.
May 26, 2020 at 7:35 p.m.
Banned
Interesting, pelech 3 year xGAR (even strength defense) is 3.9, which is better than 91% of NHL defenseman. Keep it up with the confirmation bias!

That is literally exactly what you are doing dude, possession numbers are negative, shot share is negative, percentage of chances is negative and the expected goals are negative. But this one other number means all of that other stuff doesn't matter. Ignoring everything to support your hypothesis is called confirmation bias. You clown.
May 26, 2020 at 7:35 p.m.
Isles7
I don't spend money on those sites so I can't confirm what you are saying, but like everything else, you ignore everything in favour of whatever 1 singular stat makes you feel better. Expected goals is one of the best factors to determine a players ability. If you create enough offense and defend well enough to have the positive expected goal shares, over 100 games, that results in wins. The Islanders are a negative team in that regard, eventually the lucks going to run out. But please ignore all those stats, insult me for not believing in advanced stats and then use 1 or 2 isolated numbers to make yourself feel good. You're a joke and all the say that.

One or two advanced stats? WAR, GAR, XGAR, SPAR are all better indicators of a good defenseman than the metrics you are using.
Pmwalker liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 7:38 p.m.
Isles7
That is literally exactly what you are doing dude, possession numbers are negative, shot share is negative, percentage of chances is negative and the expected goals are negative. But this one other number means all of that other stuff doesn't matter. Ignoring everything to support your hypothesis is called confirmation bias. You clown.

hahaha I would go do some more research if I were you. It seems like you have all the time in the world to do so wink - The metrics you are using to *attempt* to prove that the isles defenseman aren't good prove you know nothing about trotz system and how it negatively affects the islanders D.
Pmwalker liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 7:40 p.m.
That Islanders trade is so much garbage.

That’s a damn good return for marner. I’m impressed with this armchair.
Isles777 liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Right now it makes no sense for the isles. I would consider it next summer, but until dobson develops into a #1 pulock isn't getting traded.

I agree. I think the value makes sense for both teams, but isles would need to make sure Dobson can replace Pulock
Isles777 liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Banned
One or two advanced stats? WAR, GAR, XGAR, SPAR are all better indicators of a good defenseman than the metrics you are using.

So GAR is usefull but it also has some glaring weaknesses and that really becomes apparent when you start digging into the Islanders as an example.

The following quote was taken from this article https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/6/16/15774850/advanced-stats-102-what-is-gar-dawson-sprigings-nhl

"While I think the stat is tremendously useful, there are a few things you have to keep in mind when using it. For one, GAR values are estimates - because it uses regression techniques in some places, there is inherent uncertainty in the values output by the system. Those error bars are hidden from view - we don’t really get to see them, and as a result, you have to be careful not to make conclusions based on GAR values that are relatively close to one another.

Along these same lines, sometimes it spits out counterintuitive values, and it’s hard to see exactly why. The complexity of the model means there’s no longer easy mappings from things we consider ‘inputs’ to player value (points, possession ability, etc.) to the GAR output. They’re obviously correlated, but there are now contextual factors (teammates, competition, score usage) included that make the mapping from input to output more opaque. In that way, the model is perhaps more opaque than one would like. However, this is no different from the heavily accepted WAR stats used in baseball. You can break them down into their core components, but it takes a fair bit of effort.

When I asked Sprigings what he thought the biggest weakness of the stat is, he mentions a more conceptual issue, noting that the stat straddles the line between being a measure of ‘true talent’ as opposed to ‘the value a player provided’. Parts of the even strength offense and defense are more a measure of ‘true talent’ but the rest tends to be a measure of what happened. Sprigings brought up an example where assists per 60 minutes are used as one of the inputs to assess even strength offense. That is a measure of what happened. However, Sprigings feels it would make more sense to use something like expected assists, which is a more apt measure of talent.

GAR, in my opinion, also struggles a little bit in divvying up credit between teammates. Sprigings uses robust mathematical techniques to try and separate the effects from teammates, but it is a non-trivial problem, and even the most robust method may struggle if players spend all of their time on ice together and have very little time apart. This can be more pronounced in situations where one of the players doesn’t have a lot of historical data to go off of (for example, rookies)."

What tells me, is that GAR kind of correlates results without showing what made those results which would then ignore certain red flags about a players season infavour of actual results. So Rielly for example he's very obviously more talented than Pulock but the defensive numbers of the leafs were worse and GAR is based too much on end results rather than what made up the results.

So with all that in mind, and diving into the on ice play metrics of different players, you are 1000% looking for confirmation bias by ignoring every single red flag in the Islanders play and only accepting stats that make you feel more secure in your opinion. Which is exactly what confirmation bias is.
May 26, 2020 at 7:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mhockey91
That’s a damn good return for marner. I’m impressed with this armchair.

No it really isn't.
May 26, 2020 at 7:47 p.m.
Banned
hahaha I would go do some more research if I were you. It seems like you have all the time in the world to do so wink - The metrics you are using to *attempt* to prove that the isles defenseman aren't good prove you know nothing about trotz system and how it negatively affects the islanders D.

Thats not really how hockey works. If you give up too many chances and don't create enough chances you get negative expected goals. If you have negative expected goals, you lose more than you win. Trotz's system limits chances yes, but the Islanders also just don't create offense to outpace the chances they do give up. The numbers show this clearly and eventually the team is going have its luck turn and this team operating on a negative PDO is a lottery team.
May 26, 2020 at 7:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mhockey91
I agree. I think the value makes sense for both teams, but isles would need to make sure Dobson can replace Pulock

Dobson will absolutely supplant Pulock, he was one of the only positive players on the team last year.
May 26, 2020 at 7:50 p.m.
Isles7
No it really isn't.

😂😂😂
May 26, 2020 at 7:50 p.m.
Isles7
So GAR is usefull but it also has some glaring weaknesses and that really becomes apparent when you start digging into the Islanders as an example.

The following quote was taken from this article https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/6/16/15774850/advanced-stats-102-what-is-gar-dawson-sprigings-nhl

"While I think the stat is tremendously useful, there are a few things you have to keep in mind when using it. For one, GAR values are estimates - because it uses regression techniques in some places, there is inherent uncertainty in the values output by the system. Those error bars are hidden from view - we don’t really get to see them, and as a result, you have to be careful not to make conclusions based on GAR values that are relatively close to one another.

Along these same lines, sometimes it spits out counterintuitive values, and it’s hard to see exactly why. The complexity of the model means there’s no longer easy mappings from things we consider ‘inputs’ to player value (points, possession ability, etc.) to the GAR output. They’re obviously correlated, but there are now contextual factors (teammates, competition, score usage) included that make the mapping from input to output more opaque. In that way, the model is perhaps more opaque than one would like. However, this is no different from the heavily accepted WAR stats used in baseball. You can break them down into their core components, but it takes a fair bit of effort.

When I asked Sprigings what he thought the biggest weakness of the stat is, he mentions a more conceptual issue, noting that the stat straddles the line between being a measure of ‘true talent’ as opposed to ‘the value a player provided’. Parts of the even strength offense and defense are more a measure of ‘true talent’ but the rest tends to be a measure of what happened. Sprigings brought up an example where assists per 60 minutes are used as one of the inputs to assess even strength offense. That is a measure of what happened. However, Sprigings feels it would make more sense to use something like expected assists, which is a more apt measure of talent.

GAR, in my opinion, also struggles a little bit in divvying up credit between teammates. Sprigings uses robust mathematical techniques to try and separate the effects from teammates, but it is a non-trivial problem, and even the most robust method may struggle if players spend all of their time on ice together and have very little time apart. This can be more pronounced in situations where one of the players doesn’t have a lot of historical data to go off of (for example, rookies)."

What tells me, is that GAR kind of correlates results without showing what made those results which would then ignore certain red flags about a players season infavour of actual results. So Rielly for example he's very obviously more talented than Pulock but the defensive numbers of the leafs were worse and GAR is based too much on end results rather than what made up the results.

So with all that in mind, and diving into the on ice play metrics of different players, you are 1000% looking for confirmation bias by ignoring every single red flag in the Islanders play and only accepting stats that make you feel more secure in your opinion. Which is exactly what confirmation bias is.

That’s one stat down, now do WAR and SPAR! Cmon buddy it seems like you have all day!
Pmwalker liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 7:55 p.m.
Banned
That’s one stat down, now do WAR and SPAR! Cmon buddy it seems like you have all day!

So far everything I have taken the time to look into that you use to claim how awesome your team is has proven to be poor. Are you sure you want me to keep blowing up your cherry picked bull****
May 26, 2020 at 7:57 p.m.
Isles7
Thats not really how hockey works. If you give up too many chances and don't create enough chances you get negative expected goals. If you have negative expected goals, you lose more than you win. Trotz's system limits chances yes, but the Islanders also just don't create offense to outpace the chances they do give up. The numbers show this clearly and eventually the team is going have its luck turn and this team operating on a negative PDO is a lottery team.

That is exactly how this works. If you knew trotz system, he preaches quality over quantity. So while the isles get out shot most games, they usually get the majority of the high danger chances.
Pmwalker liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 8:00 p.m.
Isles7
Edited Jun. 2, 2020 at 10:59 p.m.
So far everything I have taken the time to look into that you use to claim how awesome your team is has proven to be poor. Are you sure you want me to keep blowing up your cherry picked bull****

1. I live rent free in your head
2. You have 0 emotional intelligence, you always think you're right
Pmwalker liked this.
May 26, 2020 at 8:16 p.m.
Why does Carolina do this if that pick is a top 10 pick?
May 26, 2020 at 8:34 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
top pair defenceman and young kapanen-equivalent (at least) forward.

Quoting: Sabres923
Marner would probably get 60 points in the Islanders offensive system.

isles decline.

Quoting: MG1986
Ryan Poluck is not a top-pairing defender, at least not yet, and has never projected to be a top pairing guy. That Marner trade is quite awful and Toronto would never do it.

Lol

That Marner trade is DISGUSTING for Toronto.

LMAO don't defend it.
May 26, 2020 at 8:39 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: drewjenkins
That Marner trade is DISGUSTING for Toronto.

LMAO don't defend it.

Don't worry the islanders wouldn't make this trade either.
May 26, 2020 at 8:44 p.m.
Banned
That is exactly how this works. If you knew trotz system, he preaches quality over quantity. So while the isles get out shot most games, they usually get the majority of the high danger chances.

According to natural statstrick, they do not win the high danger chances battle either. Last season and for part of this season they had way above average save percentages in those areas and it isn't sustainable over the long run. Most hockey people have a lot of trouble with War and Gar due to it being harder to correlate and seems to not always represent a player's skill properly.
May 26, 2020 at 8:46 p.m.
Banned
2. You have 0 emotional intelligence, you always think you're right - which is why every discussion you have with someone on the site always results in you acting like a passive aggressive p*ssy

Lol you are such a joke. You are a huge hypocrite and all around just a bitter little baby. Lol calls me passive aggressive.
May 26, 2020 at 8:47 p.m.
Quoting: aedoran
Why does Carolina do this if that pick is a top 10 pick?

Its the condition on the pick. Its top 10 protected
May 26, 2020 at 8:47 p.m.
Lol you are such a joke. You are a huge hypocrite and all around just a bitter little baby. Lol calls me passive aggressive.

2. You have 0 emotional intelligence, you always think you're right - which is why every discussion you have with someone on the site always results in you acting like a passive aggressive p*ssy

lol lets all just chill tf out
Isles777 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll