Forums/Mock-Draft

End of May Mock

End of May Mock

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: Salzy
Published: Jun. 1, 2020 at 12:36 a.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Best player, Highest Ceiling, No doubter for #1
2Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Ottawa gets 2 amazing building blocks here, a 17YO with NHL ready size and great skill. Also adds a very skilled C/W putting OTT in a great spot moving forward
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksOttawa gets 2 amazing building blocks here, a 17YO with NHL ready size and great skill. Also adds a very skilled C/W putting OTT in a great spot moving forward
4Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-The two SoCal teams will be taking Raymond and Drysdale in my eyes. I'm not sure of who LA would take between the two as I see both as great adds to a great prospect pool with one of the brightest futures in the league (As much as it pains me) I went with Drysdale as I dont see an A level D prospect in the amazing pool they have, they get that here
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The two SoCal teams will be taking Raymond and Drysdale in my eyes. I see the Ducks taking whoever is left on the board between the two, so in this case Raymond. Brings amazing skill and play making to a team that sorely needs it. In a scenario where both fall to the Ducks (Drysdale and Raymond) I'm not sure who they would take, I think I would rather Raymond in that scenario though
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-I have a feeling the Devils will take Perfetti here. Great Awareness, creativity and scoring touch. I feel like he brings more to the table long term than Holtz and would look great on Hughes wing for years to come
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Sabres grab Lundell here. In my eyes the most NHL ready centre on the board. and with Eichel's frustration growing I think the urgency is there to take him over Rossi (who I think has a higher ceiling) Not taking anything away from Lundell who is a great prospect and a great add to the Sabres
8Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-I think MTL goes best available on their board here regardless of position/need. On my board in this scenario that is Marco Rossi. Brings a responsible game, has excellent skating is strong on the puck and great on the rush
9Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Now Chicago is the wildcard for me here. Do they go goalie and take Askarov, do they take the best forward available in Holtz or do they go Dman and take Sanderson. I could legitimatley see any of those three taking place here. I'm putting Askarov for the main reason of the fit it presents. It isnt a reach and gives a team with major question in net their long-term answer.
10Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesWith the second pick here I feel like Sanderson is in play. But I feel like NJ wouldn't expect Holtz to still be on the board and they just cant pass that up as along with Perfetti they could have their top line for the next 15 years with Perfetti-Hughes-Holtz. While I understand the Interest in Sanderson as well as the need I think they can address D through trades or next years draft
11Logo of the Minnesota Wild-I think this has been a spot that has best C available written all over it. I have Connor Zary as my best available, this quote from Josh Bell sums up my thoughts on Zary so well I had to include it “Connor Zary would be a top-10 pick in a draft that wasn’t so top-heavy. He’s a player that can do everything, combining a high hockey IQ, a great compete level, and the skill to match. He doesn’t really have one standout quality, but it’s his well-rounded game that should make him very successful in the NHL.”
12Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Vancouver strikes me as a toss up between Gunler Quinn and Holloway. I'm mocking Holloway here. If I had to sum him up in one word it would be complete. His Vision and IQ are what pushes him over the top and much like Zary I feel is a top 10 pick in most drafts. A good hard-working power forward would be a great fit in VAN imo
13Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville adds a scorer here and with Gunler still on the board I think they jump all over that opportunity. While consistency has been an issue the skill is all there and he could be a great goal scorer at the NHL level
14Logo of the Florida Panthers-Now I feel it is very likely Sanderson will be gone before 14. but this is my mock and I still have him on the board, I feel like if he falls to Nashville a team like Ottawa would trade past Florida to get him with the abundance of picks they have, but in a world without trades he falls right into Florida's lap
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-Flames add a right shot forward prospect here, Jack Quinn, a player that I think could be in consideration for a top 10 pick at number 15. Talented playmaker with great puck skills and creativity, great vision and anticipation as well. A really intelligent and well rounded player
16Logo of the New York Rangers-Rangers can really go in a number of directions here. I have them taking BFA. and in this case I have that being Seth Jarvis. Fast skater, great hands and can get the puck off his stick quickly passing or shooting. Very reliable in a number of different situations.
17Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-I think Winnipeg could be an interesting pick here. Potentially grabbing Lapierre who has the skill and potential but major injury concerns. I could also see a riser being the pick here in Brendan Brisson. I have them taking Jacob Perreault. A dynamic offensive talent with defensive concerns. now that could be seen as a questionable pick here but I believe with the players currently on Winnipeg they would be able to help him develop that side of his game and make him a well-rounded player
18Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersAfter grabbing two forwards earlier I think OTT goes BDA here and on my board that's Braden Schneider. Can potentially become a top 4 shutdown Dman with some offensive upside. exceptional gap control and corner play wins a lot more battle than he loses. Great transition pass, great patience even in high pressure situations. A bit slow but he is a bigger Dman. One of my favourite prospects in the draft
19Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-A good all around forward who I think fits the CBJ mold very nicely. His play making and sometimes his decision making can be questionable. But Mercer’s ability to produce puts him in a position to eventually take on a top six role. There is room to grow - both in defensive zone play and decision making - but that won’t keep him from being an important role player at some point in the near future
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsI have Jan Mysak going to CAR. A good two way energy winger who is a strong forechecker and applies a lot of pressure. Has a scoring touch and has really made strides improving his 200 ft game this last year. Strength is an issue as he can tend to be knocked around a bit
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina HurricanesThe Rangers add another F to the team. Amirov doesnt have any huge flaws in his game. A great skater and forechecker, he is aggressive and doesn't mind playing physical. His biggest strength to me is his Hockey IQ and a complete 200 ft game. I could very well see him going higher but in this case the Rangers gladly take a very very good prospect
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-I see Dallas adding the best Dman on the board here and that is Justin Barron. He has the size, mobility and potential to be a top pairing Dman. Issues with Blood clots has hurt his stock, I think without those he would push for a top 10 spot
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-I see the Oilers adding a forward here. This is as far as I see Hendrix Lapierre falling. 1st overall in the QMJHL draft. He is among the best playmakers in the draft imo. He has elite passing, both back hand and forehand and great puck skills, he has everything you want in a NHL playmaker but due to some injuries he could slide on draft day
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-VGK takes Borque here. Has that "Wow" factor that will translate very nicely in Vegas he's flashy, silky and an offensive star who comes with some risk. Consistency is an issue at times as there are stretches where he leaves you wanting more. When hes on you rarely see him rush or force a play without recognizing that the intent behind his decision was sound. Great defensive forward and great in the faceoff circle. Also led his QMJHL team in scoring
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsI have MIN taking Guhle here. Offensively, Guhle generates most of his opportunities and set-ups via his hard, accurate shot. His passing, on the other hand, is average, although he goes tape to tape from his forehand or backhand, especially when going D-to-D. More successful creating time and space by moving east to west rather than north to south, rarely caught flat footed. Good gap control foot speed and postioning
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-I have Philly taking one of the biggest sleeper prospects imo. Brisson is an exceptionally skilled player. He is a dynamic playmaker. He is an elite skater. He can stickhandle extremely well, He processes the game at a very high level, Completes almost all of his passes and can wire the puck with a hard and accurate shot. Should only continue to raise his stock as he is committed to the great University of Michigan program
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-Without any major holes I see WSH taking a shot here in Ty Smilanic. Although he has been described as an attacking forward, he has a tendency for lurking like Ilya Kovalchuk. Another feature of his game is his disciplined positioning. You can see he doesn’t sell out and knows how to shift on the fly, which the NHL scouts value highly. He displays a very mature game overall and has expressed a desire to be a wholesome player at both ends. Also comes with a deadly shot and goal scoring ability. Has had a down year this year but was ranked in the top 20 of this draft as recently as JAN
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningI see SJ taking a player with a high ceiling here in Hirvonen. An Aggressive 2-Way centre who's feet never seem to stop moving. He handles the puck with ease and is agile in all directions. He seems like a player to me that will make you winder why he went in the late 20's and SJ is the benefactor of that
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-I have COL grabbing a German C in John-Jason Peterka. Peterka’s value comes from his great skating ability which is noticeably good even at the men’s level. He has both great speed and quickness, and he is a very fluid skater. On top of blazing speed, Peterka also possesses above-average hockey sense and intensity. Peterka is very much a straight-line player– he lacks good lateral agility which sometimes limits his offensive potential, despite his high energy style of game.
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-I see the Blues shoring up the back end here and grabbing the best available LD, which on my board is Wallinder. Although he can seem overmatched defending against older, more experienced competition, Wallinder’s willingness to learn and improve, coupled with his dominance of junior hockey, makes him an excellent defense prospect with potential for stardom. His strengths are mostly in transition and on the rush attack. His biggest weakness can be found at the other end. At times, he seems disinterested in defending, almost like he’s just waiting for his team to get the puck back.
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsAnd rounding out the First round is the Ducks who deoending who they take earlier will dictate who goes here. In this mock I have them taking Raymond early so I think they would address RD here and take the best available, who very well could be the best overall player available here in Helge Grans. Outside of his skating, the most frequent critique of Grans is his decision-making. You may watch him in one sitting and see a confident puck mover and in the next, you’d see a turnover-prone talent. For all his skill, he’s not a rapid accelerator and can get caught pushing the puck too much leading to turnovers. Defensively, Grans is adequate in the most critical areas of defense — slot coverage; one-on-one play; penalty killing; crease clearing. He relies heavily on his quick first step and long reach to break up plays, but understanding where he’s needed most remains a work in progress. The bottom line is that Grans is not an intimidating presence but makes up for it with quick transition and the ability to be sure on the puck when his team needs him to be.
Jun. 1, 2020 at 12:37 a.m.
Depending on the feedback I may add a second round onto this. I put way to much time into this for tonight though, Enjoy!
Jun. 1, 2020 at 12:45 a.m.
Quoting: Salzy
Depending on the feedback I may add a second round onto this. I put way to much time into this for tonight though, Enjoy!

Quinn is a sniper.
My god, if the devils walk away with holtz and perfetti they and their fans should be doing backflips.
A second round would be cool. After 25 ur draft got dicey
Nice work
Salzy liked this.
Jun. 1, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.
I dont hate Hirvonen for SJ, but it seems like reach to pick him there, and his offense bothers me. The sharks never struggle to get good defending forwards, so id like to take someone with offensive talent.
Salzy liked this.
Jun. 1, 2020 at 12:52 a.m.
Quoting: Howisbergevinstillhere
Quinn is a sniper.
My god, if the devils walk away with holtz and perfetti they and their fans should be doing backflips.
A second round would be cool. After 25 ur draft got dicey
Nice work

Yeah I meant play maker in the sense that he can make things happen, I guess I should have worded that differently.

Once I got to 10 and realized Holtz was still on the board I went back and checked if I should have put him anywhere else 😂

I’ll probably add a second round tomorrow. My knowledge after around the top 30 isn’t the greatest but it would help me in that department
Jun. 1, 2020 at 12:53 a.m.
Quoting: papishark
I dont hate Hirvonen for SJ, but it seems like reach to pick him there, and his offense bothers me. The sharks never struggle to get good defending forwards, so id like to take someone with offensive talent.

I feel like I may be higher on him than most. I was debating on reichel there as well. Who would you want to see them grab there?
Jun. 1, 2020 at 1:11 a.m.
I feel like I may be higher on him than most. I was debating on reichel there as well. Who would you want to see them grab there?

Id say Reichel would be a decent pick, Marat Khus would be pretty good too.
Salzy liked this.
Jun. 1, 2020 at 3:49 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Chicago 100% takes Holtz over the goalie.
Salzy liked this.
Jun. 1, 2020 at 10:11 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
No chance Holtz goes over Lundell
Jun. 1, 2020 at 10:48 a.m.
Quoting: MaxDomi13
No chance Holtz goes over Lundell

I’m assuming you mean Lundell before Holtz. I see BUF taking a C here and I feel like the best fit there is Lundell

Holtz is in consideration there but I felt they go C over W
Jun. 1, 2020 at 10:50 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
I’m assuming you mean Lundell before Holtz. I see BUF taking a C here and I feel like the best fit there is Lundell

Holtz is in consideration there but I felt they go C over W

Honestly for example lets say BUF wants Lundell. They should trade down to another position to draft Lundell. Otherwise take Holtz
Jun. 1, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
Honestly for example lets say BUF wants Lundell. They should trade down to another position to draft Lundell. Otherwise take Holtz

I feel like Lundells offense is being underrated. He's been playing against Men since he was 17, I feel he would be best suited for BUF and could help them more and sooner than Holtz
Jun. 1, 2020 at 1:16 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
I feel like Lundells offense is being underrated. He's been playing against Men since he was 17, I feel he would be best suited for BUF and could help them more and sooner than Holtz

Trade downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Jun. 1, 2020 at 1:23 p.m.
Trade downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Its a mockkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Jun. 1, 2020 at 6:18 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
Pretty good draft with a lot of thought behind it
I’m not big on Brisson at your spot - yes son of an agent and will interview well but he’s ranked 20th by central scouting NA skaters and doesn’t have much of a body of work behind him and is one of the older players in the draft. There will be at least 10 euros that go before him so he’s imo a marginal 1st rounder.
Ty Smilanic is another polarizing prospect - ranked 24th by central scouting NA skaters and I don’t believe he is a first rounder either - he hasn’t exactly lit up the USA program over the last 2 years
Salzy liked this.
Jun. 1, 2020 at 7:12 p.m.
Quoting: Leemer
Pretty good draft with a lot of thought behind it
I’m not big on Brisson at your spot - yes son of an agent and will interview well but he’s ranked 20th by central scouting NA skaters and doesn’t have much of a body of work behind him and is one of the older players in the draft. There will be at least 10 euros that go before him so he’s imo a marginal 1st rounder.
Ty Smilanic is another polarizing prospect - ranked 24th by central scouting NA skaters and I don’t believe he is a first rounder either - he hasn’t exactly lit up the USA program over the last 2 years

Thank you!

Yeah those were the two biggest reaches here, two prospects I really like. Smilanic was more of a fun pick because WSH doesn’t really have a major need and Brisson has been a fast riser from what I’ve seen. More likely than not both day 2 guys though
Leemer liked this.
Jun. 2, 2020 at 12:30 a.m.
Good read (sadly still working on mine I should have the first round out soon though) but I do have some feedback:
- LA and ANA will both likely be top 10 picks next year as well in a stacked defensive draft, I think Raymond is the BPA at 4 and should go before Drysdale.
- I understand your reasoning for taking Perfetti at 6 but I still think Holtz offers more to the table. To me it's kinda like adding Laine to your roster vs adding Hertl.
- This is kinda effected by the previous point but with Holtz no longer on the table and the pressing need for defensive upgrades I can't see Jersey passing on Sanderson at 10. with that said I see one of Rossi/Perfetti falling to 11 as I really like Buffalo selecting Lundell as well
- I don't see Calgary grabbing a winger, they've got so many wingers in their system (Emilio-Pettersen, Pelletier, Zavgorodyn, Phillips) and minimal to no C/RD depth (Rizucka and Yelesin are the best and neither project for top 6/top 4
- Guhle probably doesn't fall to 25, I see him as a top 20 pick
- Barron likely doesn't fall to the 2nd round
Salzy liked this.
Jun. 2, 2020 at 1:06 a.m.
Edited Jun. 2, 2020 at 1:13 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Good read (sadly still working on mine I should have the first round out soon though) but I do have some feedback:
- LA and ANA will both likely be top 10 picks next year as well in a stacked defensive draft, I think Raymond is the BPA at 4 and should go before Drysdale.
- I understand your reasoning for taking Perfetti at 6 but I still think Holtz offers more to the table. To me it's kinda like adding Laine to your roster vs adding Hertl.
- This is kinda effected by the previous point but with Holtz no longer on the table and the pressing need for defensive upgrades I can't see Jersey passing on Sanderson at 10. with that said I see one of Rossi/Perfetti falling to 11 as I really like Buffalo selecting Lundell as well
- I don't see Calgary grabbing a winger, they've got so many wingers in their system (Emilio-Pettersen, Pelletier, Zavgorodyn, Phillips) and minimal to no C/RD depth (Rizucka and Yelesin are the best and neither project for top 6/top 4
- Guhle probably doesn't fall to 25, I see him as a top 20 pick
- Barron likely doesn't fall to the 2nd round

Thanks for the feedback, this took me a couple days to do I wanted to weigh as many options as possible for every team and I took a look at all the rosters and prospect pools too to make the best educated guess possible

I have Raymond as the better player and prospect as well, I just saw the lack of a true Stud D prospect in LA and took a shot at Drysdale, the could also add another next year and make that pool even scarier

I’ve been flip-flopping back and forth on Perfetti/Holtz they are still interchangeable in this mock to me (even if you take both going to the devils here) I tend to lean more towards complete players like Perfetti over ones that are more one dimensional like Holtz. I think Perfetti can bring more to a team than Holtz. I don’t see Sanderson going at ten if one of Holtz/Perfetti I think the only way Sanderson is the pick at 10 is if it’s Rossi being the forward available.

I’ve never been mocking Lundell to the Sabres until Eichel came out again voicing frustration. I think of the available forwards he can step in and make an impact the soonest while still offering a high ceiling.

With the CAL pick I just went BPA on my board and it was Quinn, might not be the best fit looking back. As I said with Nashville I could see that being a trade down spot potentially.

I just didn’t see a place for him to go where I would have chosen him over the player I mocked, on draft day I see him in the top 20 too but in such a deep class it was hard to place him for me (Him being Guhle)

I have Barron at 22 to Dallas here I can’t see him falling further than that

I’m excited to see yours when it’s all done!
Jun. 2, 2020 at 1:28 a.m.
Thanks for the feedback, this took me a couple days to do I wanted to weigh as many options as possible for every team and I took a look at all the rosters and prospect pools too to make the best educated guess possible

I have Raymond as the better player and prospect as well, I just saw the lack of a true Stud D prospect in LA and took a shot at Drysdale, the could also add another next year and make that pool even scarier

I’ve been flip-flopping back and forth on Perfetti/Holtz they are still interchangeable in this mock to me (even if you take both going to the devils here) I tend to lean more towards complete players like Perfetti over ones that are more one dimensional like Holtz. I think Perfetti can bring more to a team than Holtz. I don’t see Sanderson going at ten if one of Holtz/Perfetti I think the only way Sanderson is the pick at 10 is if it’s Rossi being the forward available.

I’ve never been mocking Lundell to the Sabres until Eichel came out again voicing frustration. I think of the available forwards he can step in and make an impact the soonest while still offering a high ceiling.

With the CAL pick I just went BPA on my board and it was Quinn, might not be the best fit looking back. As I said with Nashville I could see that being a trade down spot potentially.

I just didn’t see a place for him to go where I would have chosen him over the player I mocked, on draft day I see him in the top 20 too but in such a deep class it was hard to place him for me (Him being Guhle)

I have Barron at 22 to Dallas here I can’t see him falling further than that

I’m excited to see yours when it’s all done!

I completely missed Barron when I scanned the list again MB there

I'm also basing mine off of Points Projection so the order is different then the one CF has. Also any upsets in the "Play in" complete throw my choices out the window.

I'm personally very high on Lundell, he may not have as high of a ceiling as Rossi/Perfetti but his floor is very high. He should be a lock for the NHL. I also just think he's a very overlooked prospect and has the potential to be top 5 from this draft year 6 years down the road.

Nashville I see as a team very likely to draft a defense, all their defenders are entering/have entered their 30's and only Fabbro really has top 4 potential of their prospects (I know he's already playing it). With Tolvanen and Tomasino being their last 2 first round additions.
Salzy liked this.
Jun. 2, 2020 at 1:38 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I completely missed Barron when I scanned the list again MB there

I'm also basing mine off of Points Projection so the order is different then the one CF has. Also any upsets in the "Play in" complete throw my choices out the window.

I'm personally very high on Lundell, he may not have as high of a ceiling as Rossi/Perfetti but his floor is very high. He should be a lock for the NHL. I also just think he's a very overlooked prospect and has the potential to be top 5 from this draft year 6 years down the road.

Nashville I see as a team very likely to draft a defense, all their defenders are entering/have entered their 30's and only Fabbro really has top 4 potential of their prospects (I know he's already playing it). With Tolvanen and Tomasino being their last 2 first round additions.

I usually make my board of a number of things, other rankings I usually look at around 10 lists and build a consensus then adjust based on personal preference

The more I’ve looked at each prospect closely the higher on Lundell I’ve gotten, absolutely love what he brings to the table.

That was another spot I went best available. D is a very realistic possibility there

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll