Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs Draft Targets - Full Tier list for 2020 and Prospect depth

Created by: Random2152
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 4, 2020
Published: Jun. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am bored. As such I have been doing a whole lotta pre-draft reading. Here is my list of players whom I'd like the Leafs to draft with their current picks. After that, there will be a current prospect blurb and such to show the full possibilities of the organisation.

Prospects to keep an eye on for 2020 NHL draft
This is based on 'need' (aka few wingers and specific skill sets I think the Leafs could use) and not a full list of prospects I like, just interesting ones that fill a role as evaluated by myself. As this is a non-exhaustive list I am certain there are other prospects who would be good for the Leafs or who have other skills we might like out there but whom I don't find interesting enough to keep track of. Feel free to add your own in the comments and I might (probably) will look into them.
Order is loosely based on who I'd take ahead of each other but they should really be viewed as tiers.
No in person viewings (except for Stranges and Evangelista); based entirely on readings.

*IMPORTANT*
I should note that the place where I have the Leafs potentially drafting them does not represent where I think they will be drafted, just the pick I would use were they still available. This is especially true for prospects with the ^ beside their name who I think are overrated and will be drafted far higher than they should be.

Sources:
Dobber Prospects
Pronman's 2020 top 122
Wheeler's 2020 top 100 (50) + 50
PPP
MyNHLDraft
NHLDraftSite

Legend:
*= I Need more info
^= Projected higher than I'd draft
+= or later - ex: 4+ = 4th or later
-= or earlier (usually used to signify acquiring a pick in a round we don't have)

Name - Position - Leafs pick I'd use (round)

Marco Rossi - LC - n/a
Cole Perfetti - LW - n/a

Emil Andrae - LD - 2nd
Zion Nybeck - LW - 2nd
Noel Gunler - RW - 2nd^
Kasper Simontaival - RW - 2nd
Topi Niemela - RD - 2nd
Tyson Foerster - RW - 2nd
Dylan Holloway - LC - 2nd^
Justin Barron - RD - 2nd
Ty Smilanic - LC - 2nd
Kaiden Guhle - LD - 2nd^
Lukas Cormier - LD - 2nd
Braden Schneider - RD - 2nd^
Ryan O'Rourke - LD - 2nd
Martin Chromiak - RW - 2nd
Jean-Luc Foudy - RW/RC - 2nd+
Michael Benning - RD - 2nd+

William Villeneuve - RD - 4th-^
Tyler Tullio - RW/RC - 4th
Theodor Niederbach - RW/RC - 4th
Joel Blomqvist - G - 4th+
Antonio Stranges - LW/LC - 4th
Luke Evangelista - RW - 4th
Donovan Sebrango - LD - 4th
Will Cuylle - LW - 4th+
*Logan Morrison - RC/RW - 4th+

Veeti Miettinen - RW - 5th
*Helge Grans - RD - 5th^
Drew Commesso - G - 5th+
*Thimo Nickl - RD - 5th+

Emil Viro - LD - 6th
*Jacob Dion - LD - 6th
*Samuel Knazko - LD - 6th
Jan Bednar - G - 6th+
*Simon Kubicek - RD - 6th+

Lassi Lehtinen - G - 7th

The above generally agrees with where I think the Leafs are weak in both in the NHL and in the system as I will outline here.
Generally I think that the Leafs should draft some more centres, specifically right handed ones (although I always subscribe to BPA) to fill out a major need for the franchise.
I would also like for them to draft one decent RW that could help facilitate a Kapanen trade or just replacing him if he becomes too expensive down the road, otherwise we don't need RW's.
D-men are always needed although the Marlies are quite full of them right now so we are looking more at projects (aka 4th round and later) for the right side. The Left has more openings on the Marlies and could incentivize a foreign draft pick as they could be slotted onto the Marlies immediately.
I also think Goalies should be considered, more than one as they are voodoo and having a strong pipeline is a good thing. Goaltending is half the game unless you don't have it; then it is 100%.

Leafs top prospects that could be something. This is simply a visual list of what the Leafs have in the cupboards so you can see where they might want to add. I do not consider Barabanov and Lehtonen as prospects due to their age.

Sandin and Liljegren are basically NHL ready and should fully graduate next year from prospect status.
Robertson is the best forward prospect in the system as of right now.
SDA, Abramov, and Abruzzese all have middle 6 upside.
Woll has good fundamentals and wasn't terrible on a bad Marlies squad last year.

Everyone has that one prospect that they are crazy high on and Mike Koster is my baby in that sense. I've been high since his draft day and he has only been proving me right putting up similar numbers to Scott Perunovich while taking a similar path. He tops out as a 2nd pair guy which is why he is included on this list.

Some notable exceptions:
Ian Scott: Injured all year + goalies are voodoo. Need to see how he does professionally before I put him as more than depth. He could very well be something so I left him in the scratches section.
Egor Korshkov (Formerly Yegor Korshkov): I think he tops out as an okay 3rd liner. Definitely a skill set I'd like on the Leafs, but not a difference maker.
Lindgren, Duszac, and Hollowell: Depth guys, likely 3rd pairing if they make it. Being RHD they have a better chance of making it to a bottom 4 spot but even so they are just depth.
Brooks: 4th line centre for the Leafs.
Rubins and Kral: Same as the above 3 RD but on the deep left side, hurting their chances.
Kokkonen: Just for his name alone I want this guy to make it. He is well regarded but had a meh year with injuries so I left him off. He could very easily bounce back and be in the same spot as Koster in the future. He could very well be something so I left him in the scratches section.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$775,000
3$775,000
3$775,000
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
10$81,500,000$9,286,667$0$532,500$72,213,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$766,667$766,667
C
RFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA
$810,000$810,000
C
RFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
G
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA
$805,833$805,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 4, 2020 at 6:46 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
I want emil andre and Brendan Brisson so badly. Ryan O'Rourke would be fantastic as well
Random2152 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 6:53 p.m.
I want my boy, Ty Tullio. Oshawa generals and I’ve seen him play. Great playmaker
Jun. 4, 2020 at 6:53 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Ehm.. majority of those players are 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders.
Dan10900 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 6:59 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: SammyT_51
Ehm.. majority of those players are 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders.

Fortunately, the Laws of math dictate that this isn't true. I also want to say that this is very difficult to find 6th and 7th rounders who are interesting sooo...
Is there anyone who you think is egregiously low or are you just ignoring the ^ that I have to indicate that there is virtually no chance they will be available?

Quoting: Mitch1_6
I want my boy, Ty Tullio. Oshawa generals and I’ve seen him play. Great playmaker

From what I've read he is a pesky guy. Would love to have him as a prospect but I am worried he might go earlier than I'd like.

Quoting: Jack_
I want emil andre and Brendan Brisson so badly. Ryan O'Rourke would be fantastic as well

Personally in terms of steals - I want Miettinen. He has played WAY under the radar and is ranked so low by central scouting it doesn't even seem like he is supposed to be drafted. I think whoever gets him might be getting the steal of the draft - if he gets taken.
Jack_ and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:08 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Personally in terms of steals - I want Miettinen. He has played WAY under the radar and is ranked so low by central scouting it doesn't even seem like he is supposed to be drafted. I think whoever gets him might be getting the steal of the draft - if he gets taken.

I feel the same about Dmitri Ovchinnikov.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:09 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Fortunately, the Laws of math dictate that this isn't true. I also want to say that this is very difficult to find 6th and 7th rounders who are interesting sooo...
Is there anyone who you think is egregiously low or are you just ignoring the ^ that I have to indicate that there is virtually no chance they will be available?

What laws of math? You listed 20 players. There are 90 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders.

The only ones that are pretty much available at where would you pick them are Nickl, Lehtinen, Foudy, Smilanic and Benning. Do you want my lists for each round for possible Leafs selections? I have 200 players scouted and listed, I can give you that. But this is not realistic expectation.. and I dont wanna sound like a jerk either, Im just saying..
Dan10900 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I feel the same about Dmitri Ovchinnikov.

On him specifically, A lot of scouts (aka pronman and Wheeler) who have seen him say he isn't it, Wheeler however ranked Miettinen 36th overall.

What laws of math? You listed 20 players. There are 90 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders.

The only ones that are pretty much available at where would you pick them are Nickl, Lehtinen, Foudy, Smilanic and Benning. Do you want my lists for each round for possible Leafs selections? I have 200 players scouted and listed, I can give you that. But this is not realistic expectation.. and I dont wanna sound like a jerk either, Im just saying..

There are A LOT of players I didn't list who are expected to go much higher than these guys. I just didn't find them or their skill sets interesting enough to keep tabs of.

I also have them listed as interesting as there is a reason I think they will fall. Andrae for example because of his height. Blomqvist as well. I never said they would all be available. These are players who I am watching to see if they fall into a spot where the Leafs could draft them - Hence draft targets. Realistically anyone with a ^ is not happening, but I think they are overrated and that there are better options. The ones without the ^ I think could all fall into the Leafs lap for one reason of another - not that they all will.

While I would be interested in your list I want to note that I have a lot of these guys in the round ranked based on where Pronman and Wheeler have them. Basically if they are close enough to a Leafs pick and have something that could underrate them I put them here.

For example, Wheeler has Tullio 68th overall. Pronman has him 82nd overall. Mid to late 3rds drop well into the fourth and even the 5th all the time, so he very well could be available at one of the Leafs 4th round picks.

Miettinen for example is ranked 36th by wheeler, 116 by Pronman and 72 for Euro's by NHLCS. He should be available late.

Rossi I have here because I think he could go 3rd overall but he might drop as far as 7th.

Villeneuve is a special case. He will likely be gone in the 3rd round - in which we don't have a pick. That is why he has the only 4-^ rating among anyone else in the list. I want to emphasise that the round I have next to the player is not where I think they will go, but which pick I would use to target him. Villeneuve is not good enough to warrant our 2nd so he goes in the tier below despite the fact I don't think he will be there.

Barron had major injury issues and could fall as a result. The list goes on and on.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:27 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I sure hope you're wrong abut Helge Grans. I'd take him at #36 and if we got another first-rounder (from, say, a trade of Hampus Lindholm or Rickard Rakell), I'd take him sooner.
Dan10900 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:30 p.m.
On him specifically, A lot of scouts (aka pronman and Wheeler) who have seen him say he isn't it, Wheeler however ranked Miettinen 36th overall.

Sorry, but isn't what?
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:30 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I sure hope you're wrong abut Helge Grans. I'd take him at #36 and if we got another first-rounder (from, say, a trade of Hampus Lindholm or Rickard Rakell), I'd take him sooner.

From what I've read there are enough red flags that I wouldn't take him earlier than the 4th. He seems like a project - which is fine just not someone who you'd like to spend a 1st or early 2nd on.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:31 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Sorry, but isn't what?

As in doesn't have what it takes to make it. He isn't it.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:33 p.m.
As in doesn't have what it takes to make it. He isn't it.

Well, I'm no expert, I just like what I've seen of him. I'm not saying I'd take him early, but if he's still hanging around towards the end of the draft, I'd definitely take a shot on him.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:35 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
There are A LOT of players I didn't list who are expected to go much higher than these guys. I just didn't find them or their skill sets interesting enough to keep tabs of.

I also have them listed as interesting as there is a reason I think they will fall. Andrae for example because of his height. Blomqvist as well. I never said they would all be available. These are players who I am watching to see if they fall into a spot where the Leafs could draft them - Hence draft targets. Realistically anyone with a ^ is not happening, but I think they are overrated and that there are better options. The ones without the ^ I think could all fall into the Leafs lap for one reason of another - not that they all will.

While I would be interested in your list I want to note that I have a lot of these guys in the round ranked based on where Pronman and Wheeler have them. Basically if they are close enough to a Leafs pick and have something that could underrate them I put them here.

For example, Wheeler has Tullio 68th overall. Pronman has him 82nd overall. Mid to late 3rds drop well into the fourth and even the 5th all the time, so he very well could be available at one of the Leafs 4th round picks.

Miettinen for example is ranked 36th by wheeler, 116 by Pronman and 72 for Euro's by NHLCS. He should be available late.

Rossi I have here because I think he could go 3rd overall but he might drop as far as 7th.

Villeneuve is a special case. He will likely be gone in the 3rd round - in which we don't have a pick. That is why he has the only 4-^ rating among anyone else in the list. I want to emphasise that the round I have next to the player is not where I think they will go, but which pick I would use to target him. Villeneuve is not good enough to warrant our 2nd so he goes in the tier below despite the fact I don't think he will be there.

Barron had major injury issues and could fall as a result. The list goes on and on.

Dont use just Pronmans and Wheelers lists, use more of them.. the NHLCS is full of bullcrap to be honest since they have clear 2nd round talent Villeneuve ranked 99th in just NA players.. which is yikes. Tullio would maybe be available by 4th but dont count with it since a lot would have to go right to be able to get him.

I also dont get why you have Rossi or Perfetti included in a post about Leafs possibilities.

I need explanation on some things tho.. why would you target 1st round talent like Grans only with 5th round pick?
Dan10900 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Dont use just Pronmans and Wheelers lists, use more of them.. the NHLCS is full of bullcrap to be honest since they have clear 2nd round talent Villeneuve ranked 99th in just NA players.. which is yikes. Tullio would maybe be available by 4th but dont count with it since a lot would have to go right to be able to get him.

I also dont get why you have Rossi or Perfetti included in a post about Leafs possibilities.

I need explanation on some things tho.. why would you target 1st round talent like Grans only with 5th round pick?

I am not a professional scout - nor does this stuff interest me usually. I am exceptionally bored and looking for hockey stuff. For me putting together this list is the most work I have EVER done on prospects and is likely the most I ever will do. Took hours. For someone who does this stuff that is nothing, but for me it is more than enough. Now as an abject amateur I have no idea whether NHLCS is BS or not, but as they are widely sited by respected names I imagine that for my purposes they are decent enough.

Now that I've said that I didn't actually use them, only when cited specifically by Wheeler in Miettinen's case. Where I got everything is listed at the top. PPP ran a bunch of articles on players who may fall to 51, which is where I got the initial names for this. I then used Dobber to find the interesting prospects by position and get small blurbs on them to see if they were interesting. Pronman and Wheeler were my main guys for talent evaluation but I also know others (like Bob) didn't have Andrae in the top 62. I used mock sites to get a very rough judge on where players were to see if they were even worth my time looking and set expectations after reading more from others. For the purposes of making a list of interesting prospects who have a shot of falling to the Leafs, I think that is more than enough.

Rossi I have there specifically because I find him interesting. I think he should be 3rd off the board and might just play in the NHL next year but could go all the way to 7 because of his height. Perfetti was a late addition because he seems like a Dubas pick. They are there (outside of being interesting) as a magical trade up to take one of them fantasy. I will emphasise again that I mostly just find them interesting and want to keep tabs on them. Hence the n/a round ranking.

Grans I think may have been a mistake looking again. He was supposed to have the * marking but I must have forgotten to put it there. I didn't see him in any of the rankings and from what little I had read from Dobber showed some red flags. Looking back I seem to be blind. I must have had a typo in the ctrl - f search when I was zipping back and forward. I'll leave it (but add the *) just for integrity but yeah. Reading what Pronman and Dobber say he seems like a project, so I still wouldn't target him with our second (being our first pick of the draft).
OldNYIfan, SammyT_51, LeafsFanForSomeReason and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 7:59 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I am not a professional scout - nor does this stuff interest me usually. I am exceptionally bored and looking for hockey stuff. For me putting together this list is the most work I have EVER done on prospects and is likely the most I ever will do. Took hours. For someone who does this stuff that is nothing, but for me it is more than enough. Now as an abject amateur I have no idea whether NHLCS is BS or not, but as they are widely sited by respected names I imagine that for my purposes they are decent enough.

Now that I've said that I didn't actually use them, only when cited specifically by Wheeler in Miettinen's case. Where I got everything is listed at the top. PPP ran a bunch of articles on players who may fall to 51, which is where I got the initial names for this. I then used Dobber to find the interesting prospects by position and get small blurbs on them to see if they were interesting. Pronman and Wheeler were my main guys for talent evaluation but I also know others (like Bob) didn't have Andrae in the top 62. I used mock sites to get a very rough judge on where players were to see if they were even worth my time looking and set expectations after reading more from others. For the purposes of making a list of interesting prospects who have a shot of falling to the Leafs, I think that is more than enough.

Rossi I have there specifically because I find him interesting. I think he should be 3rd off the board and might just play in the NHL next year but could go all the way to 7 because of his height. Perfetti was a late addition because he seems like a Dubas pick. They are there (outside of being interesting) as a magical trade up to take one of them fantasy. I will emphasise again that I mostly just find them interesting and want to keep tabs on them. Hence the n/a round ranking.

Grans I think may have been a mistake looking again. He was supposed to have the * marking but I must have forgotten to put it there. I didn't see him in any of the rankings and from what little I had read from Dobber showed some red flags. Looking back I seem to be blind. I must have had a typo in the ctrl - f search when I was zipping back and forward. I'll leave it (but add the *) just for integrity but yeah. Reading what Pronman and Dobber say he seems like a project, so I still wouldn't target him with our second (being our first pick of the draft).

I greatly admire this kind of work by a self-proclaimed amateur. Congratulations.
SammyT_51, Random2152, LeafsFanForSomeReason and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:07 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex

I respect that and I love that more people do draft stuff! I love the sincerity!
Random2152, OldNYIfan, LeafsFanForSomeReason and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I respect that and I love that more people do draft stuff! I love the sincerity!

On that note, is there anyone(s) you think would be good for the Leafs I haven't listed here? As I said this is based on 'need' and so doesn't have a ton of wingers or purely offensive pieces.
Say a guy who you think makes it to 51 and another player who you think would be a late steal (4th round plus).
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:21 p.m.
@SammyT_51 Are you an actual scout or something? Just that you mentioned earlier that you had a top 200 list and reading some of the other things here that may have alluded to that.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:21 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
On that note, is there anyone(s) you think would be good for the Leafs I haven't listed here? As I said this is based on 'need' and so doesn't have a ton of wingers or purely offensive pieces.
Say a guy who you think makes it to 51 and another player who you think would be a late steal (4th round plus).

I would give you a list tomorrow on those picks!
Random2152 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:24 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
@SammyT_51 Are you an actual scout or something? Just that you mentioned earlier that you had a top 200 list and reading some of the other things here that may have alluded to that.

I don't really like bringing it up since it would seem like I'm just dunking on people and they might feel like I'm egomaniac lmao (and some people here know that I'm scout) but yeah, I'm an European scout for Dobberprospects.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:36 p.m.
I don't really like bringing it up since it would seem like I'm just dunking on people and they might feel like I'm egomaniac lmao (and some people here know that I'm scout) but yeah, I'm an European scout for Dobberprospects.

Interesting. Respect you for not bringing it up in an attempt to have the upper hand over people. I'd like to bombard you with questions about this but I'll refrain because I don't want to annoy you.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:40 p.m.
Most of these guys will go a lot higher than you have listed here. Lots of your second round targets will not be around. Some will be though
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:40 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Interesting. Respect you for not bringing it up in an attempt to have the upper hand over people. I'd like to bombard you with questions about this but I'll refrain because I don't want to annoy you.

Bombard me, I'm all ears and keyboards! 😂
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:45 p.m.
Bombard me, I'm all ears and keyboards! 😂

Alright, you asked for it lol

What's a general outline of how you got into scouting in terms of just certification and getting a job in it?
SammyT_51 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2020 at 8:54 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: papishark
Most of these guys will go a lot higher than you have listed here. Lots of your second round targets will not be around. Some will be though

That was kind of the point. This isn't a list of "guys who will be in the 2nd round at 51" but a list of guys who might be available when the Leafs pick who I find interesting.
I'd bet that at least 2 of the guys I have listed for the 2nd will be there with 100% certainty, maybe as many as 5. All I can hope is that Andrae's size is enough to move him into Leafs territory (and that the Canes don't get him first).
papishark and OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll