Forums/Armchair-GM

take Smith to get Georgiev

Created by: Trickster
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 12, 2020
Published: Jun. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What if we take on Smith to acquire Georgiev?
Does this do it? Open to making changes.

And if Vancouver didnt want to sign Markstrom but needed a goalie for 1 year, is this enough to Leafs for 1 full year of Andersen? Idea is to give Demko another year of tandem and then give him the reigns next season. Also open to making changes .
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$1,750,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
Trades
NYR
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. Malgin, Denis [RFA Rights]
  3. 2020 6th round pick (COL)
TOR
  1. Woo, Jett
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (VAN)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$80,824,783$0$0$675,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 15, 2020 at 9:50 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: ItWasIn
Once again, he’s their 3rd best goalie and on his last legs as an effective NHLer. It’s just plain irresponsible for the Rangers to move Georgiev unless it’s an overpay, especially because Shesterkin doesn’t require protection. They have the ability to run one of the leagues best tandems for the next 5-7 seasons.

It makes zero sense for the King to be playing goal for NYR next season. I mean he won’t even be backing up the Rangers for the play-in

I think Lundqvist will resign for 1 more season after his current deal, obviously for a lot less money.

Someone will give the Rangers an offer on Georgiev that I think they will accept. Not sure it will be the Leafs.
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 9:54 p.m.
CGY
Quoting: Trickster
I think Lundqvist will resign for 1 more season after his current deal, obviously for a lot less money.

Someone will give the Rangers an offer on Georgiev that I think they will accept. Not sure it will be the Leafs.

You might be right, maybe they get a huge offer. But there's also a ton of really good goalies on the UFA market, so I'm not sure such an offer will exist
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2020 at 9:56 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
You might be right, maybe they get a huge offer. But there's also a ton of really good goalies on the UFA market, so I'm not sure such an offer will exist

Someone wanting a goalie is gonna strike out.
Always happens.
ItWasIn, oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2020 at 12:27 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

The trades make no sense. Giving away valuable players for magic beans. Andersen and Campbell seem to work great together. Georgiev is meh and unproven. Why would the leafs want him and 4+m winger who wouldn’t make our 4th line. Leafs have some holes to fill next season, I don’t see these trades addressing them.
Jun. 16, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Jamiepo
The trades make no sense. Giving away valuable players for magic beans. Andersen and Campbell seem to work great together. Georgiev is meh and unproven. Why would the leafs want him and 4+m winger who wouldn’t make our 4th line. Leafs have some holes to fill next season, I don’t see these trades addressing them.

So you want to extend Andersen?
Hes 30, not sure I'd be on board with that, have to consider what the extension will be like... and the cap hit.
If Bettman keeps the cap at 81.5 million for the next few years trying to fit Andersen on his deal is gonna cost us assets.

Yes I am speeding up the process by 1 year in these trades.
Not sure I like the UFA options in the summer of 2021.

Georgiev, the word unproven might be inaccurate.
I'd say he has not established himself as a starter yet but could on his way to doing.

Is there a goalie you have in mind to replace Andersen with?
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2020 at 9:43 p.m.
Is there another younger goalie you would consider?
Maybe Murray? I'm worried about his injury history.
Korpisalo? Saros?

It's not me buddy, I'm fine with going in the tandem direction. Murray's alright to injury-prone and inconsistent for my liking but Dubas pushed hard for him to be part of the Kessel deal. It doesn't matter to me what young goalie they bring in but it would be wise to upgrade the other half of the tandem since they sold leafs nation on cup aspirations. That being said, I don't think this is our year as I've stated before. My thinking was if Dubas can keep the cap hit for our goaltending similar to where it is now and get assets for Andersen while having a more established goaltender as a fallback for our next goalie of the future it would be wise and take more pressure off of him and the rest of the team. As a GM you have to make moves and decisions that can/will impact your job but in a market like Toronto it's kinda like being a politician and I think Dubas is a bright young executive with a lot to learn but is forward-thinking and brings a different approach. Whatever young goalie he decides he has to be 100% confident that's his guy for the job.

I like your ideas/trades but do you think we could give up an asset(s) to Seattle to take Smith off of our hands? If so we could bring in someone like Lehner to platoon with Georgiev until he takes the job over then have an overpaid but solid backup? Also, I don't think Lehner would get more than 3 years maybe 2 but that would be a solid tandem IMO. Then again I'm a ham n egger lol
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 16, 2020 at 9:50 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
The D would need to be improved if the Leafs are going from elite goaltending to good goaltending.

Also, moving on from Andersen means getting a younger goalie and Markstrom and Lehner do not fit that description.

We're on the same page, and I'm fine with getting a younger goalie but if we could move Andersen out for assets and get younger in net why not bring in a more established goalie like Lehner more so then Markstrom only because of the term to platoon with him while trying to compete for a cup and keeping the cap hit similar to what it is now? The D definitely needs to be improved even if we keep Andersen but it seems alot more unlikely now with a flat cap then before the coronavirus.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 16, 2020 at 9:59 p.m.
Hes 30, not sure I'd be on board with that, have to consider what the extension will be like... and the cap hit.
If Bettman keeps the cap at 81.5 million for the next few years trying to fit Andersen on his deal is gonna cost us assets.

I'd say he has not established himself as a starter yet but could on his way to doing.

I agree on all points but I thought the last time we talked you weren't that high on Georgiev? I don't see Andersen with us beyond his current contract unless he doesn't want or can't get a raise which seems unlikely. Are you sold on this kid or you just playing around with the idea?
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 16, 2020 at 11:33 p.m.
Andersen covers up a lot of warts for the Leafs. I know he wasn't as good this season, but I think fatigue might have been an issue. He reminds me a lot of Miikka Kiprusoff, in that the Leafs have ridden Andersen hard, he's bailed out the team on several occasions , but after a few years the play declines a bit. The Campbell deal should help that. I would look at keeping him. Also worth noting TOR is a very difficult city to be the #1 goalie in. His temperament is perfect for it.

For the Leafs, I'd be vary cautious trading Anderson and bringing in a young backup goalie with no starter experience...Raycroft, Toskala, Bernier...too much disaster in recent history for the Leafs in the goalie position. This is the first time they have had a consistent goalie over numerous seasons in a long time. I'd rather ride out his contract while the team is competitive. You know what you are getting with him, Georgiev looks promising but like you said, he might not have the temperament for the position in TOR.
Jun. 16, 2020 at 11:36 p.m.
CGY
Quoting: Survivorking77
For the Leafs, I'd be vary cautious trading Anderson and bringing in a young backup goalie with no starter experience...Raycroft, Toskala, Bernier...too much disaster in recent history for the Leafs in the goalie position. This is the first time they have had a consistent goalie over numerous seasons in a long time. I'd rather ride out his contract while the team is competitive. You know what you are getting with him, Georgiev looks promising but like you said, he might not have the temperament for the position in TOR.

Being the starting goalie for the Leafs is a lot like being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys, lots of pressure and scrutiny. It's not for everyone.

I would be focused on re-signing Freddie if I was Dubas. He's a workhorse, fairly durable and once again he can handle the scrutiny. Playoff success will come.
Jun. 17, 2020 at 1:49 a.m.
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
We're on the same page, and I'm fine with getting a younger goalie but if we could move Andersen out for assets and get younger in net why not bring in a more established goalie like Lehner more so then Markstrom only because of the term to platoon with him while trying to compete for a cup and keeping the cap hit similar to what it is now? The D definitely needs to be improved even if we keep Andersen but it seems alot more unlikely now with a flat cap then before the coronavirus.

Lehner and Markstrom are similar in age to Andersen. Out of the three, Markstrom gets a similar deal to what Andersen is making now while the other two are in for raises which I'm not sure the Leafs can afford.

I'm not entirely sold on Georgie but trading for a younger goalie such as him may be necessary.
Jun. 17, 2020 at 1:55 a.m.
Being the starting goalie for the Leafs is a lot like being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys, lots of pressure and scrutiny. It's not for everyone.

I would be focused on re-signing Freddie if I was Dubas. He's a workhorse, fairly durable and once again he can handle the scrutiny. Playoff success will come.

You have a good point about scrutiny on Leafs goaltenders but an extension for Freddie is going to be too costly for the Leafs.

There are a number of UFA goalies going into this off-season but as @Trickster mentioned, there's always a team that strikes out and then has to trade for one.

This can be the off-season for that.
Jun. 17, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I agree on all points but I thought the last time we talked you weren't that high on Georgiev? I don't see Andersen with us beyond his current contract unless he doesn't want or can't get a raise which seems unlikely. Are you sold on this kid or you just playing around with the idea?

It's just planning ahead.
The truth is, we have a delima with our goaltending.

Andersen is right now a question mark due his year.
Hes only getting worse over time now, and he is 30.

Guess what age Andersen was when we got him? 25.
His sample size back then was bigger though.

Georgiev is only a bit younger, and that has its advantages.

Am I sold on Georgiev... not 100%.
Do want want to sign a 30ish year old goalie to 4 or 5 year deal? Less so.

I know Jarry had a year, but if you eliminate that 1 really good month... he was average to slightly above average.
Are you sold on Jarry?

Markstrom's cap hit might what Andersen is right now but hes 30 man, I cant get over that.

Lehner is slightly younger but hes looking for term deal now after taking 1 year show me deal with Chicago.
I was very impressed with him too, but again his cap hit might be too steep a price.

Going younger just makes too much sense for a multitude of reasons.
Jun. 17, 2020 at 1:49 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Survivorking77

Andersen was 25 when he became a Leaf.
I am also not saying make Georgiev automatically the starter.

The word is tandem.
Jun. 17, 2020 at 6:01 p.m.

I know Jarry had a year, but if you eliminate that 1 really good month... he was average to slightly above average.
Are you sold on Jarry?

Markstrom's cap hit might what Andersen is right now but hes 30 man, I cant get over that.

Lehner is slightly younger but hes looking for term deal now after taking 1 year show me deal with Chicago.
I was very impressed with him too, but again his cap hit might be too steep a price.

You summed up exactly what I was getting at. More than anything, Andersen will get worse as he ages and with the way the defense is, that is a disaster waiting to happen imo.

Time to get younger in goaltending and hopefully the goalies grow into a good tandem.
Jun. 20, 2020 at 9:45 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Andersen may not be back, but it doesn’t mean he needs to be moved before his contract is up. Leafs have 2 great goalies in the pipes. There is also Campbell to consider and who knows what other options.

The leafs could use a stud RHD or nothing at all. Some moves might be needed for cap reasons. I could see some wingers being moved in that case.
Jun. 20, 2020 at 9:54 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Andersen may not be back, but it doesn’t mean he needs to be moved before his contract is up. Leafs have 2 great goalies in the pipes. There is also Campbell to consider and who knows what other options.

The leafs could use a stud RHD or nothing at all. Some moves might be needed for cap reasons. I could see some wingers being moved in that case.

So what is your solution once Andersen is a UFA? This off-season has some decent ones but when Andersen is a UFA, the options are not great as far as I know.
Jun. 20, 2020 at 10:01 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
So what is your solution once Andersen is a UFA? This off-season has some decent ones but when Andersen is a UFA, the options are not great as far as I know.

The thing about goaltending situations is that they are unpredictable. For both the leafs and the other 30 teams. Other than UFA’s you could pretty much consider any goalie in the nhl. What if I told you binnington would be up for grabs? Stranger things have happened.

Personally I really like Campbell, he’s played amazing and seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. What if we rolled him with Woll? But again goaltending can be hard to forecast.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 6:56 p.m.

Are you sold on Jarry?

I fully get and support planning ahead especially with our goaltending. I've been having a conversation with my buddy who loves the leafs but doesn't follow hockey that much and his response when I asked him what the leafs should do with Andersen was keep him the fans need a goalie they can get behind he's the best goalie we've had since Eddy the Eagle. I tried to explain to him Freddy is on a contract year and the ramifications of extending him but he didn't care.

I know Andersen was 25 when we got him but we were rebuilding not competing for a cup or at least in a position to like the FO sold to the fanbase. I agree we need to get younger in net and we shouldn't wait but if we had a succession plan in place where Georgiev or whatever young goalie is brought in and a more experienced goalie to help share the workload and put a goalie in every night that would give the team confidence to play in front of I think it would be an easier sell to people like my buddy.

Im not sold on Jarry continuing his level of play but I did a ACGM trading something like goat, sparks and a 4th and got roasted saying I was giving up too much lol. We need to get younger at some point in time but if Dubas turns the crease over to a young kid he needs to be sure it's his guy.

You're right Lehner will want term but no one gave him term last offseason and with the cap flat I'm not sure anyone will now especially if he wants a raise. My thinking was we offer him a 3 year $15 million deal and I think he would take it that way he's the guy next year the second year is a platoon and the third year he takes a reduced role or is traded to save cap if he's still producing and if not then we look elsewhere.
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 7:04 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I fully get and support planning ahead especially with our goaltending. I've been having a conversation with my buddy who loves the leafs but doesn't follow hockey that much and his response when I asked him what the leafs should do with Andersen was keep him the fans need a goalie they can get behind he's the best goalie we've had since Eddy the Eagle. I tried to explain to him Freddy is on a contract year and the ramifications of extending him but he didn't care.

I know Andersen was 25 when we got him but we were rebuilding not competing for a cup or at least in a position to like the FO sold to the fanbase. I agree we need to get younger in net and we shouldn't wait but if we had a succession plan in place where Georgiev or whatever young goalie is brought in and a more experienced goalie to help share the workload and put a goalie in every night that would give the team confidence to play in front of I think it would be an easier sell to people like my buddy.

Im not sold on Jarry continuing his level of play but I did a ACGM trading something like goat, sparks and a 4th and got roasted saying I was giving up too much lol. We need to get younger at some point in time but if Dubas turns the crease over to a young kid he needs to be sure it's his guy.

You're right Lehner will want term but no one gave him term last offseason and with the cap flat I'm not sure anyone will now especially if he wants a raise. My thinking was we offer him a 3 year $15 million deal and I think he would take it that way he's the guy next year the second year is a platoon and the third year he takes a reduced role or is traded to save cap if he's still producing and if not then we look elsewhere.

I would love to have Lehner ar 5 million AAV for 3 years.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 7:06 p.m.
Lehner and Markstrom are similar in age to Andersen. Out of the three, Markstrom gets a similar deal to what Andersen is making now while the other two are in for raises which I'm not sure the Leafs can afford.

I'm not entirely sold on Georgie but trading for a younger goalie such as him may be necessary.

I agree getting younger in net is a priority or at least it should be for our FO. My thinking was a succession plan having a young goalie like Georgiev or whoever and a more established one to take the reins the first year then platoon the second season and take a step back the third year or be traded if they're still playing well. The way I was looking at it is say both of @Trickster's deals happened and we traded the two seconds to Seattle to take Smith off our hands then we're still up a solid young d prospect and AJ is a cap casualty. Our goaltending is improved (assuming Lehner or whoever signs a 3 year $15 million deal) then the financial implications of improving our goaltending is minimal and we have a nice young d prospect as I said. It's an easy sell to the fans and Dubas doesn't have to worry about the goaltending for the next 3 years unless it goes horribly wrong. Also, no one gave Lehner term last offseason and with a flat cap it seems unlikely he'd get a raise and term on his next deal he may have to choose one.
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 7:08 p.m.
Andersen was 25 when he became a Leaf.
I am also not saying make Georgiev automatically the starter.

The word is tandem.

I like Campbell too, do you think he's good enough to form a tandem? I'm not sure
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 7:09 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I like Campbell too, do you think he's good enough to form a tandem? I'm not sure

Yes.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 7:14 p.m.
I would love to have Lehner ar 5 million AAV for 3 years.

I think it would work financially it wouldn't be a huge increase to the cap and would strengthen our goaltending and assuming both of your deals happen as is we could flip Smith to Seattle for the two seconds... It's a win-win to me but if Lehner is sold on getting more I'd pass.
Jun. 24, 2020 at 7:15 p.m.
Yes.

That's good enough for me... sign_me_up lol
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll