SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Sabres catch a break

Sabres catch a break

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: CD282
Published: Jun. 19, 2020 at 12:59 p.m.
Description
Sabres finally win the lottery! But then, instead of making the pick, they send it to LA in exchange for the #2 pick and Gabriel Vilardi. Fair trade? Comment below!
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
Jun. 19, 2020 at 1:25 p.m.
What do you mean, "Finally win the lottery"? They won Dahlin just 2 years ago.
TanSor, ColonelX, Kotkaniemi15 and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 1:28 p.m.
Nah I'd rather have Laf than Byfield and Vilardi
Sabresfan7 and zyyyp liked this.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: PuckLuck_77

D'oh!
Jun. 19, 2020 at 2:09 p.m.

And some dude named Jack a few years earlier than a bunch of top 10s in between
zyyyp liked this.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.
Quoting: Flamedreamer
And some dude named Jack a few years earlier than a bunch of top 10s in between

Well if I remember right, it wasn't that they won Jack. They lost the 1st overall pick even though they had something like 60% odds at getting it, so they got Eichel instead of McDavid. Buffalo is pretty much the reason there's this terrible lottery system in the first place.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Banned
Sure they do, Too bad the highest odds say they pick #8.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
Well if I remember right, it wasn't that they won Jack. They lost the 1st overall pick even though they had something like 60% odds at getting it, so they got Eichel instead of McDavid. Buffalo is pretty much the reason there's this terrible lottery system in the first place.

Don't worry the team that got McDavid sucks too COnner mcdaVID
Jun. 19, 2020 at 5:16 p.m.
Lets go Buffalo
Quoting: TanSor
Nah I'd rather have Laf than Byfield and Vilardi

Yes you are correct, keep the pick unless it is crazy lopsided for Buffalo.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 5:21 p.m.
Quoting: Sabresfan7
Yes you are correct, keep the pick unless it is crazy lopsided for Buffalo.

I mean Byfield is a great prospect (I'm in the minority who would take Stutzle over him but he's the 2nd pick in this scenario) but can you imagine Laf with Eichel? That is an incredible duo on paper. Whoever gets Laf shouldn't trade the pick unless it's a huge overpayment
Sabresfan7 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 5:34 p.m.
I mean Byfield is a great prospect (I'm in the minority who would take Stutzle over him but he's the 2nd pick in this scenario) but can you imagine Laf with Eichel? That is an incredible duo on paper. Whoever gets Laf shouldn't trade the pick unless it's a huge overpayment

Buffalo needs centers more than 1LW and drafting Byfield would set them up for 15 years. I don't think theres a huge difference between Lafreniere and Byfield anyhow, you'll see what I mean if you compare age-based results in their respective leagues.

Add in Vilardi or Kupari (I put Vilardi as he seems to be ready to step into an NHL role) and I think the Sabres do very well here. It balances the team much better than just adding Lafreniere IMO.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
Buffalo needs centers more than 1LW and drafting Byfield would set them up for 15 years. I don't think theres a huge difference between Lafreniere and Byfield anyhow, you'll see what I mean if you compare age-based results in their respective leagues.

Add in Vilardi or Kupari (I put Vilardi as he seems to be ready to step into an NHL role) and I think the Sabres do very well here. It balances the team much better than just adding Lafreniere IMO.

@Sabresfan7
Jun. 19, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.

I disagree vehemently about the gap. In fact, I think it's a pretty sizable gap between Laf and Byfield. But you're entitled to your opinion on that.

I still think the Sabres would be foolish to move the pick.
Jun. 19, 2020 at 6:01 p.m.
Lets go Buffalo

I really like Quinton Byfield and if the Sabres had 2nd overall pick this time that is who I am picking. But to trade that pick no, Lafreniere to me is worth more than Byfield and Vilardi my opinion. (I am not always right)
Jun. 19, 2020 at 6:36 p.m.
I disagree vehemently about the gap. In fact, I think it's a pretty sizable gap between Laf and Byfield. But you're entitled to your opinion on that.

I still think the Sabres would be foolish to move the pick.

You might like this (or not).

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-quinton-byfield-underrated/
Jun. 19, 2020 at 7:37 p.m.

I've watched him quite a bit so my opinion is based on my viewing. He's a fantastic prospect but I just think Stutzle plays a more dynamic game and Laf plays the most dynamic game in the draft. And yes I'm aware he's one of the younger players in the draft and I'm not going to argue that his size, skating, and hands for how big he is isn't special, because it is, but I just prefer Stutzle's game (and I think Stutzle is the best skater in the draft, he's so special with his edge work and agility) and well Laf is sensational. I don't see how anybody could rank him as their 4th prospect though.
Jun. 20, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.
wpg

its actually pretty good, makes it interesting and worth watching + discourages tanking
Jun. 20, 2020 at 7:16 p.m.

Eichel goes 1st overall in 95% of any other drafts though. They might have dropped a spot but they still hit the jackpot (no pun intended).
Jun. 20, 2020 at 7:18 p.m.
I've watched him quite a bit so my opinion is based on my viewing. He's a fantastic prospect but I just think Stutzle plays a more dynamic game and Laf plays the most dynamic game in the draft. And yes I'm aware he's one of the younger players in the draft and I'm not going to argue that his size, skating, and hands for how big he is isn't special, because it is, but I just prefer Stutzle's game (and I think Stutzle is the best skater in the draft, he's so special with his edge work and agility) and well Laf is sensational. I don't see how anybody could rank him as their 4th prospect though.

Stutzle is going to make NHL goalies look amazing. Great player but can't shoot worth a damn.
Jun. 20, 2020 at 7:58 p.m.
Stutzle is going to make NHL goalies look amazing. Great player but can't shoot worth a damn.

He doesn't shoot often but I think his shot is fine when he chooses to do so. It's not as good as Holtz or Perfetti but it's fine
Jun. 20, 2020 at 11:20 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyFan989
its actually pretty good, makes it interesting and worth watching + discourages tanking

It's not that I think there shouldn't be a lottery. It's just that the current lottery system is flawed.

My fix is that anyone who wins a lottery pick shouldn't be able to win that same lottery pick for 3 years. So for example, New Jersey/Buffalo can't win the 1st overall, Chicago can't win the 3rd overall, etc. If the NHL wants parity, they should let multiple teams get the 1st overall pick. As a Kings fan, I shouldn't have to be worried about New Jersey winning their third 1st overall pick in nearly as many years, that's stupid.
HockeyFan989 liked this.
Jun. 20, 2020 at 11:57 p.m.
wpg
It's not that I think there shouldn't be a lottery. It's just that the current lottery system is flawed.

My fix is that anyone who wins a lottery pick shouldn't be able to win that same lottery pick for 3 years. So for example, New Jersey/Buffalo can't win the 1st overall, Chicago can't win the 3rd overall, etc. If the NHL wants parity, they should let multiple teams get the 1st overall pick. As a Kings fan, I shouldn't have to be worried about New Jersey winning their third 1st overall pick in nearly as many years, that's stupid.

well if u cant control it.. then no point being worried :/

get your point though,.. luck it just hard to argue against

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll