Forums/Armchair-GM

Blockbuster Eichel Trade

Created by: Survivorking77
Team: 2020-21 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 21, 2020
Published: Jun. 21, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Seen a rumour that the Bruins would prepare an offer for Eichel if he were to become available so it got me thinking what kind of package could pull of such a blockbuster. What does everyone else think of this rumuor and is what I have prepared a realistic deal?

The thought of Eichel being in Boston is terrifying though, coming from a Leafs fan I would hate to see Eichel paired with Pasta.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,500,000
2$900,000
2$950,000
2$900,000
3$2,000,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,750,000
1$900,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Beecher, John
3$925,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Beecher, John
  2. Carlo, Brandon
  3. DeBrusk, Jake
  4. Studnicka, Jack
  5. 2021 1st round pick (BOS)
  6. 2022 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
2022 2nd becomes 2022 1st if Boston wins the 2021 Cup
BOS
  1. 2020 4th round pick (NSH)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,498,981$964,222$1,675,000$1,019
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
G
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 22, 2020 at 1:35 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Since when is Eichel worth more than Pasta? Expect to pay 2 seconds or so to upgrade from Eichel to Pasta.

He’s a Center & would’ve been an MVP finalist if he wasn’t stuck in Buffalo
Playing with a rookie & Reinhart isn’t quite the same as playing with Bergeron & Marchand either

Go troll someone else
Jun. 22, 2020 at 2:19 a.m.
Terry_AkiSauce
I understand the Bruins are giving up a decent chunk of their supporting cast in Debrusk, Carlo and Studnickas future with the team. Don't know Beecher that well but I'm assuming he's a solid prospect that would be a middle six/bottom six guy. Giving up a late first pick isn't the worst, not the same value as an earlier pick obviously.

Eichel is, by my accounts, the 6th best center in the NHL and will probably be a top 5 player at his position for a large chunk of his career (especially if he gets traded to a better team). I really don't know how Bruins fans are saying they would decline this as he would be the best forward on the team along with Pasta (pretty much in the same tier). Berg and Krecji are old and this gives them a centre with Boston connections that'd probably retire a Bruin.

I get that its a large payment but you'd be receiving a superstar for not even a star player but role players. Bruins can develop defense and their system allows dmen to exceed defensively anyways. Although Carlo could be a 1st pairing guy on some teams, he's 2nd pairing on Boston forever cause of mcavoy. So Boston is essentually giving up a 2nd pairing defenseman, 2nd line winger, middle six center prospect, beecher (whatever hes projected, as a recent late 1st round pick), a late first and a late 2nd in 2022.
Survivorking77 liked this.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 3:09 a.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
@leafs_and_sens_fan loves talking about the bruins like he’s an expert, when he has absolutely no clue about the franchise. Nothing wrong with not knowing about all 31 teams, but running around making sweeping declarations as if they’re gospel is a bit much coming from him. Wouldn’t be surprised if he said Pastrnak was secondary scoring.

@Bcarlo25 You're right I don't know about all 31 teams. I don't know about Minnesota and a bunch of other Western Conference teams. But you have to know about more than 1 team to have a perspective about the value of different players. Obviously you don't have that as you think the Bruins top prospects are gems that would be top prospects on any team when really they are just B tier prospects.

Also I never said anything about Pastrnak being included in the deal. Although I think Eichel is a more valuable piece trading Pastrnak (a top 5-10 winger in the league) on a cheap contract would be counterproductive.

Quoting: Silkysmooth42
Boys its no use with these fans. They just assume they can take the whole team for a player that literally wants out.

This is an overpayment, not an underpayment lol but they just wont listen

"its starts with Pasta and Studncicka and goes from there", uh no it doesnt lol.

It doesn't start with Pastrnak but it certainly starts with a better piece than Carlo. Carlo's literally the best piece in this trade. Would you trade Pastrnak for Jokihariju, a couple B tier prospects (lets say Mittelstadt) and a low 1st? No... You'd laugh it off. That's exactly what I'm doing with this offer.

I can't believe you don't call yourself a homer...

Quoting: MMBzFan
Bad bad eyesight and evaluation of Carlo. Young Dmen like Carlo are not a plentiful every year in the draft.

Who has right-hand shot dmen to spare ? Not the Bruins.

Once again you're lack of knowledge about other teams is shocking. I'm talking about the Sabres having an excess of RHD. They are trying to trade out a RHD even. If this was Toronto Carlo would be a MASSIVE piece. Buffalo not so much.

I did say Carlo was the piece with the most value in this offer which includes a late 1st but Eichel is worth 5 Carlo's and this offer definitely doesn't have that.

I understand if you don't want to trade you're top line players but everything else has to be on the table. Coyle and Kase should be included in the deal.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 3:16 a.m.
Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce
I understand the Bruins are giving up a decent chunk of their supporting cast in Debrusk, Carlo and Studnickas future with the team. Don't know Beecher that well but I'm assuming he's a solid prospect that would be a middle six/bottom six guy. Giving up a late first pick isn't the worst, not the same value as an earlier pick obviously.

Eichel is, by my accounts, the 6th best center in the NHL and will probably be a top 5 player at his position for a large chunk of his career (especially if he gets traded to a better team). I really don't know how Bruins fans are saying they would decline this as he would be the best forward on the team along with Pasta (pretty much in the same tier). Berg and Krecji are old and this gives them a centre with Boston connections that'd probably retire a Bruin.

I get that its a large payment but you'd be receiving a superstar for not even a star player but role players. Bruins can develop defense and their system allows dmen to exceed defensively anyways. Although Carlo could be a 1st pairing guy on some teams, he's 2nd pairing on Boston forever cause of mcavoy. So Boston is essentually giving up a 2nd pairing defenseman, 2nd line winger, middle six center prospect, beecher (whatever hes projected, as a recent late 1st round pick), a late first and a late 2nd in 2022.

These Bruins fans put Leafs homers to shame. BTW Beecher is similar to Studnicka but with less upside.

Quoting: Jdfitz77
Playing with a rookie & Reinhart isn’t quite the same as playing with Bergeron & Marchand either

Go troll someone else

If Pastrnak was playing in Buffalo he'd be lucky to have 60 points.
Quoting: MMBzFan
Now that is laughable!

Not at all. You don't wanna give up your top talent. Okay... but you gotta pay in other ways.

This post should be deleted. Massive underpay.
Jdfitz77 liked this.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 6:21 a.m.
Banned
As a fan of both teams, I'm pretty neutral here. Gotta say...this works. I would expect another draft pick of two as those picks will be really, really late with Eichel on the Bruins. Or add Krejci. Balances the cap and allows the Sabres to flip him for futures.

Deal will not involve Pastrnak or any real core players as Sabres rebuild and it defeats the purpose for Boston.

Boston absolutely trades Carlo and DeBrusk. Easier holes to fill, especially for the Bruins who have a pretty solid history of drafting and developing and making value trades that work out. They wouldn't miss a beat without those two (Carlo hurts more).

The depth they trade from is center which will be unneccessary with Eichel locking up 1C for the next 10 years or longer (resign is easy) so they're not giving up anything they can't afford to lose.

Boston doesn't pay less as Sabres don't have to trade Eichel even if he whines like a little girl which he won't do. He's grown up a lot in the past few years and has been very tactful in his criticisms. But even then, no big deal.

Boston makes this move partly to keep hin from other teams as well. Biggest value there as whoever makes this trade likely becomes an immediate frontrunner for the cup (as I can't see a team like the Devils outbidding teams that are right on the cusp).

Both sides walk away happy. Boston more so.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 8:10 a.m.
After such a deal, I will be scared to look at our center.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 8:49 a.m.
Sweeney wouldn't trade Studnicka and Beecher. I know it may sound ridiculous but I don't think Carlo would be dealt under any circumstance or at least in the proposed package. Bruins losing way too many solid/important pieces. Carlo will be a cost effective shut down dman for years.

Debrusk + Krejci + Vaakanainen + Beecher or Frederic + 2021 1st would be my offer for Eichel.
Silkysmooth42 liked this.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 9:33 a.m.
MMBzFan
“If Pastrnak was playing in Buffalo he'd be lucky to have 60 points.”

LoL 😂
Jun. 22, 2020 at 9:36 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
@Bcarlo25 You're right I don't know about all 31 teams. I don't know about Minnesota and a bunch of other Western Conference teams. But you have to know about more than 1 team to have a perspective about the value of different players. Obviously you don't have that as you think the Bruins top prospects are gems that would be top prospects on any team when really they are just B tier prospects.

Also I never said anything about Pastrnak being included in the deal. Although I think Eichel is a more valuable piece trading Pastrnak (a top 5-10 winger in the league) on a cheap contract would be counterproductive.

It doesn't start with Pastrnak but it certainly starts with a better piece than Carlo. Carlo's literally the best piece in this trade. Would you trade Pastrnak for Jokihariju, a couple B tier prospects (lets say Mittelstadt) and a low 1st? No... You'd laugh it off. That's exactly what I'm doing with this offer.

Once again you're lack of knowledge about other teams is shocking. I'm talking about the Sabres having an excess of RHD. They are trying to trade out a RHD even. If this was Toronto Carlo would be a MASSIVE piece. Buffalo not so much.

I did say Carlo was the piece with the most value in this offer which includes a late 1st but Eichel is worth 5 Carlo's and this offer definitely doesn't have that.

I understand if you don't want to trade you're top line players but everything else has to be on the table. Coyle and Kase should be included in the deal.

I wouldnt do it because A) Pasta doesnt want to leave. and B) Bruins are a contender
When you are the stinky sabres and Eichel wants to leave, sometimes you have to think more about the future than the present. Thats that smile
MMBzFan and Survivorking77 liked this.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 9:37 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: kscoop
Sweeney wouldn't trade Studnicka and Beecher. I know it may sound ridiculous but I don't think Carlo would be dealt under any circumstance or at least in the proposed package. Bruins losing way too many solid/important pieces. Carlo will be a cost effective shut down dman for years.

Debrusk + Krejci + Vaakanainen + Beecher or Frederic + 2021 1st would be my offer for Eichel.

Thats not bad. Debrusk too is a lot to give up, but Eichel is certainly excellent
Jun. 22, 2020 at 9:52 a.m.
Bcarlo25

It’s unbelievable how you still haven’t grasped this concept. I still haven’t given you any opinions on the bruins good prospects. How can you read, and comprehend so little.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 9:55 a.m.
Bcarlo25
These Bruins fans put Leafs homers to shame. BTW Beecher is similar to Studnicka but with less upside.

If Pastrnak was playing in Buffalo he'd be lucky to have 60 points.

Not at all. You don't wanna give up your top talent. Okay... but you gotta pay in other ways.

This post should be deleted. Massive underpay.

First comment: No. You don’t know ANYTHING about the bruins prospects and how they project. Notice, I still haven’t given my opinion on any of them, but when you run around here saying things definitively that are so so so stupid you just sound like a willfully ignorant moron. Remember that whole thing about you saying vaak is a 4-5 d man, MAX!!!

Second comment: okay, you’re either unforgivably unintelligent, or a troll. Later.
KennyBoi liked this.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 10:11 a.m.
If this is the deal throw in Kase and another 1st and take back Okposo's contract.

I'm laughing at the Bruins fans saying this is too much ROFL.

so you would trade: sandin (carlo is still better), kapanen/mango (one of), Nick Robertson, Liljegren, and potentially 2 firsts? Then since its so light you would throw in the other of mango or kapanen and another 1st to take back okposo. So it would be: sandin, kapanen, mango, robertson, lilly pad, and potentially 3 firsts for eichel and okposo? Its not smart to trade core roster players for 1 player. doesnt matter how good or young the guy is. you dont send young core players away. studnicka is making the team next year since this trade is an offseason trade thats 3 players the bruins think will be apart of their core for 1. You wanna send a bunch of prospects and picks that makes more sense logically. the bruins arent about to sabotage their team to get eichel. that just wont happen.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 11:25 a.m.
Go leafs go

Go troll someone else

I’m not trolling. It’s just that Pasta is better than Eichel by pretty much everyone’s standards.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 11:29 a.m.
Go leafs go

Go troll someone else

It wouldn’t be that much different if Eichel was else where.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 1:49 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
so you would trade: sandin (carlo is still better), kapanen/mango (one of), Nick Robertson, Liljegren, and potentially 2 firsts? Then since its so light you would throw in the other of mango or kapanen and another 1st to take back okposo. So it would be: sandin, kapanen, mango, robertson, lilly pad, and potentially 3 firsts for eichel and okposo? Its not smart to trade core roster players for 1 player. doesnt matter how good or young the guy is. you dont send young core players away. studnicka is making the team next year since this trade is an offseason trade thats 3 players the bruins think will be apart of their core for 1. You wanna send a bunch of prospects and picks that makes more sense logically. the bruins arent about to sabotage their team to get eichel. that just wont happen.

I wouldn't take Okposo's contract because Toronto has no cap space but I'd gladly send the rest of the pieces that would be a steal. I'd send Nylander instead of taking on Okposo if they wanted.

Nylander + Sandin + Liljegren + Kapanen + Mango + 3 1sts for Eichel. Buffalo still probably still rejects but I'd definitely do that as the Leafs.

That deal would be highway robbery for the Leafs but it's still a tonne better than this trade.

This trade is like that except take out Nylander and two 1sts. It's a laughable offer.

I’m not trolling. It’s just that Pasta is better than Eichel by pretty much everyone’s standards.

No he isn't. Pasta just has more goals because he's playing with elite line mates. If he was playing with what Eichel has been playing with he'd have less points. He is also worse defensively and he plays a less valuable position plus he has much less term on his contract.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 1:56 p.m.
Go leafs go
I wouldn't take Okposo's contract because Toronto has no cap space but I'd gladly send the rest of the pieces that would be a steal. I'd send Nylander instead of taking on Okposo if they wanted.

Nylander + Sandin + Liljegren + Kapanen + Mango + 3 1sts for Eichel. Buffalo still probably still rejects but I'd definitely do that as the Leafs.

That deal would be highway robbery for the Leafs but it's still a tonne better than this trade.

This trade is like that except take out Nylander and two 1sts. It's a laughable offer.

No he isn't. Pasta just has more goals because he's playing with elite line mates. If he was playing with what Eichel has been playing with he'd have less points. He is also worse defensively and he plays a less valuable position plus he has much less term on his contract.

First of all, I would never do that Eichel trade from the leafs perspective. Maybe Nylander and Sandin and Kapanen. Or Marner straight up. Or Eichel plus Johikarju for Matthews. Literally no need for Eichel on the leafs. We have 2 top line centres, we don't need a 3rd.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 2:02 p.m.
First of all, I would never do that Eichel trade from the leafs perspective. Maybe Nylander and Sandin and Kapanen. Or Marner straight up. Or Eichel plus Johikarju for Matthews. Literally no need for Eichel on the leafs. We have 2 top line centres, we don't need a 3rd.

Marner's value isn't even close to Eichel's (as a Leafs fan).

Eichel trade for Matthews would be 1 for 1. Better contract and more term for the better player.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 2:04 p.m.
Go leafs go
Marner's value isn't even close to Eichel's (as a Leafs fan).

Eichel trade for Matthews would be 1 for 1. Better contract and more term for the better player.

Wasn't saying those trades were fair from Buffalo's perspective. But Literaly no point in getting Eichel. Buffalo should just keep him cuz no-one else wants to pay a ridiculous price for Eichel.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 2:07 p.m.
Wasn't saying those trades were fair from Buffalo's perspective. But Literaly no point in getting Eichel. Buffalo should just keep him cuz no-one else wants to pay a ridiculous price for Eichel.

Trust me. Someone would pay the price if he hit the market. That team just isn't Toronto or Boston.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.

so toronto doesnt have cap space but the bruins do? lol. what? and okay. so now you have what as you lines/dpairings.
so you would give up 3 roster forwards and 2 of your future dpairings that your cap ridden team is already relying on for 1 player? thats not how you manage a TEAM. eichel + tavares + matthews + Marner $$ puts you over 50% of the cap with 4 players. the rest of the team wont be good enough.
McGruff liked this.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 4:43 p.m.
It wouldn’t be that much different if Eichel was else where.

U don’t think Eichel would be doing much more if he was on Boston playing with wingers like Pasta & Marchand??

He plays on a bad team with ok linemates,
and ZERO secondary scoring
Jun. 22, 2020 at 7:33 p.m.
Go leafs go
U don’t think Eichel would be doing much more if he was on Boston playing with wingers like Pasta & Marchand??

He plays on a bad team with ok linemates,
and ZERO secondary scoring

He might be a bit better, but Pasta is enough better that he is worth more. Add that to the fact he has a much better contract.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 9:18 p.m.
He might be a bit better, but Pasta is enough better that he is worth more. Add that to the fact he has a much better contract.

A “bit better” is a massive understatement

Also... it doesn’t matter
BOSTON would be calling to say they want Eichel
Buffalo would say it starts with Pasternak
The talks either die there, or go forward
Tough to say

But I’d really doubt the Sabres would trade Eichel to a division rival regardless
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 22, 2020 at 10:07 p.m.
Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I have never had a post with so much feedback on it before. It is crazy to see the drastically different opinions saying it is either a severe overpayment or severe underpayment.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll