Forums/Armchair-GM

Sabres take Sanderson

Created by: CuyahogaKid
Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 27, 2020
Published: Jun. 27, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I’m not going to be stunned if Sanderson is the pick l, and I won’t be mad either.

I think he makes sense here because first, taking him makes it m even more easier to move a defenseman, maybe even two defenseman over the next year and this guy will be exempt from the expansion draft.

And there is more of a need than people realize for Sanderson. While the Sabres have a glut of defenseman, many of them likely do not factor into the long term picture;

-McCabe is in a contract year
- Ristolainen I really don’t think lasts past the season expansion draft and has three years left and is Darcy Regiers last first rounder.
- Colin Miller also has two years left
- Brandon Montour could be one you’d want to keep, but depending on what his RFA contract is, I’m assuming he gets bridged, he could be costly to extend long term.

And when you look at the Sabres system, they don’t have a guy who can help Dahlin down the road and potentially be a guy who can play in any situation against the toughest competition and log in 25 mins a night. Jokiharju can eventually do that it, but they could use another guy because in three years, there will be a drop off in talent from defensive anchors to second and third pair guys and right now, Dahlin is really the only sure thing they have back there.

We always talk about helping Eichel, but we are gonna have to help Dahlin too.

Maybe Sammuelson can do that, but I think he’s more second to third pair.

And given that the Sabres new Director of Amateur Scouting is Jeremiah Crowe whose background is with the US national development program, I have hunch that if he has a strong influence on the draft, he will stick with a program he is familiar with given the scouting limitations already for the 2020 draft.

The expansion draft will also complicate things for a Buffalo because a good defenseman will likely be exposed unless a back door deal is arranged or they are exposed, and I’m not sure Ristolainen, Brandon Montour or Colin Miller are worth a side deal and giving up assets to keep, and if anything the Sabres would move one before hand.

Also given that he is a high character kid with upside that many of his teammates unanimously would take with them if they could, is a safe pick and viewed as bust proof by some, is physical, well rounded and is captain material (also a plus if Eichel ever got traded) it makes more sense.

People will hate the pick, but a top four defense with Dahlin, Sanderson, Jokiharju, and maybe Sammuelson is pretty damn good.

I think forward wise, I think they believe in Dylan Cozens, they see him as their number 2 C of the future, I think they will ask attempt to acquire at least a middle six C in free agency or trade as well, and I don’t think they’ve lost faith in Casey Mittelstadt quite yet.

Not to mention, if Sanderson is the pick, Ristolainen, McCabe, Miller, and Montour could all be moved within three years and all of those guys could return picks, prospects, and maybe some nhl forwards
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$7,000,000
5$4,000,000
3$2,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Sanderson, Jake
3$925,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
12$81,500,000$52,273,082$113,916$82,500$29,226,918
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Sanderson, Jake
$925,000$925,000
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
RFA - 3
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 1
$889,166$889,166
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$853,333$853,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
Sanderson is a horrible pick for Buffalo, they need to be competing now and he won't be playing in the NHL for at least 2 more years. He's already committed to the NCAA
Shibbal18 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:23 p.m.
CGY
Very well said!

I could see NJ taking Sanderson too, that will be interesting to follow.

The way I look at it is D are so hard to acquire, you need to draft them or overpay in trade or in UFA. Wingers are easier to acquire.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:26 p.m.
Shibbal18
Edited Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:32 p.m.
I will give up on this team. The Sabres still have Ryan Johnson and Samuelsson coming up within the next few years, this would be a pointless waste of a pick. The Sabres d is the least of their issues. Theyre better off taking Askarov if theyre going to throw it away. Then they should start learning the trap because theyre going to have 0 offense
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:34 p.m.
Go Cavs
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Sanderson is a horrible pick for Buffalo, they need to be competing now and he won't be playing in the NHL for at least 2 more years. He's already committed to the NCAA

Two years is when they are going to need him. They’re not set long term in defense, there’s gonna be a ton of turnover over the next couple years.

If the Sabres pick 8 anyways, there is not a single player there that will be on the team in under a year or two years anyways
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
Always always always draft the BPA. If the Buffalo scouts think that's Sanderson by their pick then great, but very few guys make the jump to the NHL quick enough to warrant drafting by positional need. I think there's a deal out there this offseason for the Sabres to deal one of their RHD for a decent forward in the short term.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:38 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
Quoting: alwaysnextyear
Always always always draft the BPA. If the Buffalo scouts think that's Sanderson by their pick then great, but very few guys make the jump to the NHL quick enough to warrant drafting by positional need. I think there's a deal out there this offseason for the Sabres to deal one of their RHD for a decent forward in the short term.

Having said this, if there's a toss-up as to who the BPA is I think you give the edge to a center or Dman over a winger.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:39 p.m.
Quoting: DickFoligno
Two years is when they are going to need him. They’re not set long term in defense, there’s gonna be a ton of turnover over the next couple years.

If the Sabres pick 8 anyways, there is not a single player there that will be on the team in under a year or two years anyways

100% disagree. Almost all the players in top 12 are NHL ready by next year, Askarov veing the main 1 who isn't. If I'm Buffalo I am picking Lundell. He's NHL ready now and has a really good defensive game, 2 aspects the Sabres are in fire need of.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:45 p.m.
Go Cavs
Quoting: Shibbal18
I will give up on this team. The Sabres still have Ryan Johnson and Samuelsson coming up within the next few years, this would be a pointless waste of a pick. The Sabres d is the least of their issues. Theyre better off taking Askarov if theyre going to throw it away. Then they should start learning the trap because theyre going to have 0 offense

Quoting: Shibbal18

The coach they have right now wants to play a tighter defensive system, And he’s not going anywhere anytime soon.

I did forget about Ryan Johnson, but still he’s a borderline first-second round pick. He’s probably not a top pair D that this team will need to put with Dahlin in the good four.

You can say same point for Cozens and Mittelstadt and probably Kahun who they just moved for. They will have four defenseman that could be off the team in couple years that dont factor into the long term picture anyways, they will all probably yield some picks and maybe a forward or two, and I’m sure they will pick up a mid tier UFA or two to fill the team out.

You guys have to stop acting like these picks are gonna score 80 points right away. Because that’s not gonna be the case. It’s gonna take time unfortunately. There is no quick fix.

It is not the end of the world if they take a defenseman. It makes it far more likely and easier to move one for a forward. And they should take the best player for the team available, whoever they think will be good
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:47 p.m.
Go leafs go

I think one of Perfetti, Rossi, or Lundell will be there for the Sabres and they should definitely get one of them. Sanderson would not be a good selection for the Sabs at all.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.
Go Cavs

100% disagree. Almost all the players in top 12 are NHL ready by next year, Askarov veing the main 1 who isn't. If I'm Buffalo I am picking Lundell. He's NHL ready now and has a really good defensive game, 2 aspects the Sabres are in fire need of.

I don’t disagree at all with taking Lundell, the only question with him his offensive ceiling. Yes he can play in the NHL next year, but to what extent? If Lundell plays in the NHL Next year, he will be a fourth line center.

I disagree that there are twelve players that will be ready by next season. A lot of them will require a year or two of development.

I think Obviously Lafreniere, after him Stutzle and Rossi could be in the NHL next year. Byfield is more raw talent and physically gifted than NHL ready, he needs a year or two. Lucas Raymond and Alex Holtz may need a year of development before they jump.

The team has Cozens on the way and Mittelstadt is still likely in the picture and they will trade for a forward. The Sabres need good hockey players regardless of position.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:56 p.m.
Go Cavs
Quoting: Saskleaf
I think one of Perfetti, Rossi, or Lundell will be there for the Sabres and they should definitely get one of them. Sanderson would not be a good selection for the Sabs at all.

I think they will consider Perfetti for sure.

If it’s Sanderson, they are far more likely to move a defenseman.

I’ve heard the Leafs were interested in Ristolainen as well and the Sabres also have Montour, McCabe, and Miller as well and the leafs have forwards

Quoting: Saskleaf
Jun. 27, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
Go leafs go
I think they will consider Perfetti for sure.

If it’s Sanderson, they are far more likely to move a defenseman.

I’ve heard the Leafs were interested in Ristolainen as well and the Sabres also have Montour, McCabe, and Miller as well and the leafs have forwards

Nah. I’d rather see the sabres keep Risto, and draft a centre.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
I don’t disagree at all with taking Lundell, the only question with him his offensive ceiling. Yes he can play in the NHL next year, but to what extent? If Lundell plays in the NHL Next year, he will be a fourth line center.

I disagree that there are twelve players that will be ready by next season. A lot of them will require a year or two of development.

I think Obviously Lafreniere, after him Stutzle and Rossi could be in the NHL next year. Byfield is more raw talent and physically gifted than NHL ready, he needs a year or two. Lucas Raymond and Alex Holtz may need a year of development before they jump.

The team has Cozens on the way and Mittelstadt is still likely in the picture and they will trade for a forward. The Sabres need good hockey players regardless of position.

You misunderstand what i mean by next year, i mean 21/22

Lundell will not be put on the 4th line if he were to play next year, that would hurt his development, he will play 3C.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:03 p.m.
Go Cavs

Sanderson is a riser on many draft boards as well, and it’s also kind of like what I said,

The pandemic is gonna have huge affect on the scouting for many teams, especially the Sabres who’ve just slashed their scouting staff.

Given that Crowe has his roots in the USNTDP, I think he will be more inclined than people realize to go with a guy who is viewed as “bust proof” and from a program that he is familiar with.

And look, I’m not saying they should take Sanderson, but if he’s there at 8, and your Sabres fan who wants a forward badly; I’d be worried. I think the Sabres will STRONGLY consider him for those reasons because he’s a riser in the draft, some scouts think he’s worth a top 5 pick, others top 10, he s a high character kid, the expansion draft will likely cost the Sabres a D, and there will be a lot of turnover on D over the next two years, and because he’s viewed as a safe pick, albeit one with top pair potential, I think the Sabres will be inclined to consider taking him with Jeremiah Crowe running the draft
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
Go Cavs
You misunderstand what i mean by next year, i mean 21/22

Lundell will not be put on the 4th line if he were to play next year, that would hurt his development, he will play 3C.

Oh yeah sure, they should be.

But I don’t see an issue with taking a kid who may spend a year or two in college and develop and step in down the road.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:09 p.m.
Oh yeah sure, they should be.

But I don’t see an issue with taking a kid who may spend a year or two in college and develop and step in down the road.

Because taking a player like Sanderson means a significantly higher chance Eichel requests a trade. Who do you value higher, Eichel or Sanderson?
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:10 p.m.
He’d be a terrible pick
sabres89 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:12 p.m.
Yes, I already considered this option today. I would not mind trade this pick for 2C with a term or RFA, if there is Rossi or Raymond on the table, I take them and run, if there are Holtz, Perfetti, Lundell and Sanderson on the table, I will think.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:21 p.m.
Go Cavs
Because taking a player like Sanderson means a significantly higher chance Eichel requests a trade. Who do you value higher, Eichel or Sanderson?

I mean I’d say that’s a stretch, because I’d say first, the Sabres need good players regardless of position, offense or defense. If you’re talking Sanderson though, then you are likely doing something different with your team, you’re going more in the Dallas or CBJ direction which is fine, but I agree that you have to find the forwards. But I want the guy who I think is the best player available and the guy who I think can have the most positive impact on the team long term and that’s Sanderson for me, and Lundell is not far behind.

And like I said, I’d Sanderson is the pick, they will trade someone like Ristolainen or even Montour to get the forward help they need, and maybe the ink a mid level free agent like Haula, but the significant addition will come from when A defenseman is traded.

Eichel Likely wants help now, not a year from now, and chances are if it’s someone like Cole Perfetti for example, your likely waiting a year anyways and then you have to hope he becomes an 50+ point player as a 19 year old.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
Go Cavs
Quoting: SalamiCheese
Yes, I already considered this option today. I would not mind trade this pick for 2C with a term or RFA, if there is Rossi or Raymond on the table, I take them and run, if there are Holtz, Perfetti, Lundell and Sanderson on the table, I will think.

I think we all agree that the one player we do not want is Askarov.

I like Perfetti, I like Lundell, and I like Sanderson, not so much a fan of Holtz or Quinn.

For me it’s Perfetti vs Sanderson, and I just have feeling they are gonna consider Sanderson because of Crowe.

Ideally if I got Sanderson that high, I probably want to go for someone like Foudy in round 2 if he’s there

And it’s typical of Buffalo to do Sanderson because it’s typical of Buffalo and I’m sorry to say but he fits the kind of guy I can see this new regime going for, “safe”, “responsible”, “hard working”, and intangibles. And it will piss off Sabres fans
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
I think we all agree that the one player we do not want is Askarov.

I like Perfetti, I like Lundell, and I like Sanderson, not so much a fan of Holtz or Quinn.

For me it’s Perfetti vs Sanderson, and I just have feeling they are gonna consider Sanderson because of Crowe.

Ideally if I got Sanderson that high, I probably want to go for someone like Foudy in round 2 if he’s there

And it’s typical of Buffalo to do Sanderson because it’s typical of Buffalo and I’m sorry to say but he fits the kind of guy I can see this new regime going for, “safe”, “responsible”, “hard working”, and intangibles. And it will piss off Sabres fans

I will think for a long time choosing between Perfetti, Lundell and Sanderson, but we all need forward, we also have Bryson, Samuelsson and Johnson and I think one of them will definitely become good #3 - #4 defender.

Dark horses for me: Jarvis and Mercer
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:32 p.m.
Go Cavs
I will think for a long time choosing between Perfetti, Lundell and Sanderson, but we all need forward, we also have Bryson, Samuelsson and Johnson and I think one of them will definitely become good #3 - #4 defender.

What scares me more is I think the Sabres would pick Askarov over Lundell
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:35 p.m.
What scares me more is I think the Sabres would pick Askarov over Lundell

Why? I will not be as disappointed as the rest, since Askarov lives with me in the same city and he is my compatriot. grin

But in general, I don’t think it will be Askarov. Ullmark looked solid last season, we have two good prospects in UPL and Portillo, maybe Johansson will shoot.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
Go Cavs
Why? I will not be as disappointed as the rest, since Askarov lives with me in the same city and he is my compatriot. grin

But in general, I don’t think it will be Askarov. Ullmark looked solid last season, we have two good prospects in UPL and Portillo, maybe Johansson will shoot.

Because they have UPL and Portillo in the system
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
I would go any forward not lundell. I have no interest in a forward with questionable offensive upside, we have asplund as a defensive forward that cant score that everybody seems to love, its the whole "only one line that can score" thing thats the problem.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll