Forums/Armchair-GM

Devils trade up for Drysdale

Created by: Drw4209
Team: 2020-21 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 27, 2020
Published: Jun. 27, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Assuming top 3 picks are Laf, Byfield, Stutzle and Vancouver pick ends up somewhere in the 16-20 range...

Would Devils be interested in trading up to 4 for Drysdale believing Ottawa would take him at 5?
Trades
DET
  1. 2020 1st round pick (VAN)
  2. 2020 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
7th + 16th-20th
NJD
  1. 2020 1st round pick (DET)
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
4th + 32nd
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DET
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
14$81,500,000$44,759,166$0$1,140,000$36,740,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 1
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:17 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Detroit won't do it
aedoran liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
u really wont need to trade up I see him going 4th as Byfield will go 2nd or 3rd and Stutzle will go 2nd or 3rd.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:33 p.m.
Banned
Dry is probably off the board at 3.

Laf, Stutzle, Dry.....

I think that's gonna be the break down.
Everything after those players is a guy who has some knocks on them. Those 3 really don't.
aedoran liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:33 p.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
Detroit won't do it

I'm a wings fan I'd do it. RD is wings system strength and I don't view Drysdale as good enough to take him over Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz who are equally valuable prospects and also fill more of a need for Wings
aedoran liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:35 p.m.
Banned
Yzerman already pretty much said he's keeping the 4th, And taking BPA.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:36 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow

Laf, Stutzle, Dry.....

Everything after those players is a guy who has some knocks on them. Those 3 really don't.

It's possible but seems to be some smoke around Kings and Byfield. Maybe Sens still take Drysdale at 3 and leave Stutzle for Wings which would be awesome
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
Yzerman already pretty much said he's keeping the 4th, And taking BPA.

Yeah well he can obviously change his mind if a good trade presents itself
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Drw4209
I'm a wings fan I'd do it. RD is wings system strength and I don't view Drysdale as good enough to take him over Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz who are equally valuable prospects and also fill more of a need for Wings

So we take either Raymond or Rossi at #4 no reason to trade down to benefit NJ, This only makes sense if we have stronger interest in either Askarov or Perfetti or Holtz.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.
Devils have no interest, there's a chance he's there for them at 7 anyways
Banned
It's possible but seems to be some smoke around Kings and Byfield. Maybe Sens still take Drysdale at 3 and leave Stutzle for Wings which would be awesome

there is no smoke. There is a unanimous consent around the league that Stutzle is the 2nd best player in the draft.
Most of that is due to playing style when compared to Laf. Little separates those two.

Laf, Stutzle, Dry.....

I hope you're right that would mean Byfield or Stutzle will be there at #4. With the way this season has gone it probably won't happen.
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:46 p.m.
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
So we take either Raymond or Rossi at #4 no reason to trade down to benefit NJ, This only makes sense if we have stronger interest in either Askarov or Perfetti or Holtz.

It benefits NJ but it also benefits Wings, the alternative, if the Wings just stay put and take Raymond or Rossi, helps out Ottawa, an actual division opponent. Sens can take Byfield/Stutzle and get Drysdale at 5. Perfect draft for them. The difference between Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz isn't significant enough to pass on a trade like this as Wings can still get one of them at 7.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:51 p.m.
Quoting: zyyyp
Devils have no interest, there's a chance he's there for them at 7 anyways

He's not getting past Ottawa at 5 guaranteed
there is no smoke. There is a unanimous consent around the league that Stutzle is the 2nd best player in the draft.
Most of that is due to playing style when compared to Laf. Little separates those two.

I'm not talking about the consensus opinion and it's far from unanimous. Inside word is the Kings have done A LOT of work scouting Byfield, that doesn't mean he'd for sure be their pick but would indicate there's some heavy interest.
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Since 1980 Detroit has had 3 picks in the top 5. With their pick in the 2020 draft will be their 4th top 5 pick in 40 years and the first since 1990. I'll bet at least 3/4 of CapFriendly users weren't alive the last time Detroit had a pick inside the top 5.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 4:59 p.m.
Banned
He's not getting past Ottawa at 5 guaranteed

I'm not talking about the consensus opinion and it's far from unanimous. Inside word is the Kings have done A LOT of work scouting Byfield, that doesn't mean he'd for sure be their pick but would indicate there's some heavy interest.

you realize Byfield has been dropping down boards right?
Dobber prospects has him listed behind Rossi.
That should tell you something when a guy is listed below a 5'9 prospect.
Lots of people think he won't even go top 5.
He's 6'4 he played against kids relied on his size not his skill. He took plays off, reportedly has bad practice/training habits.

Don't be shocked if he drops.
He reminds me a lot of pool party. He beat up on the smaller kids to look good. But when he got to the NHL he couldn't transition that game because it was never going to work.
Byfield has the highest chance of being a bust out of the top 5 picks or so. A lot of people are buyer beware on him.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.

Laf, Stutzle, Dry.....

Sens take Byfield at #3. They need a #1C
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:32 p.m.
Pop Pop
Ok so maybe on draft day if laf, stutz, and byfield go and they have thier heart set on a forward Detroit moves back. Drysade goes 4 so Rossi Raymond or perfetti is left for us.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:32 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
This wouldn't be a terrible idea for them if New Jersey wanted it. I don't think detroit would take Drysdale anyway so it could benefit them. Where I see the top 6 is
1. Laff
2/3 byfield, stutzle
4/5/6 Drysdale, Raymond, Rossi - Drysdale or Rossi won't get passed Anaheim imo

I could see Yzerman liking Sanderson in that scenario then using the 17th on someone like Amirov or Gunler. Or get Holtz on the RW would also be good for them. For me, it depends how much they like Rossi/Raymond. If he's high on either, then it's not happening. But if he likes Holtz/sanderson and he can add another 1st round pick inside the top 20? I think it's a good idea
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2020 at 4:10 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: mhockey91
Sens take Byfield at #3. They need a #1C

Drafting by need is rarely the best way to draft.
Would you skip on Laf because you need a defenseman? No you wouldn't right?
Dry is the best pick on the board at 3, highest probably of being a solid NHL player if not an all star.
Byfield on the other hand is dropping in the draft. People like Dobber prospects have him listed under Rossi at this point.
On top of it, OTT could use a defenseman. They have two picks at 3 and 5.
You can get a center at 5. You probably aren't getting a defense man at 5, and Sand probably shouldn't go as high as 5.

Good chance OTT takes him.
Jun. 28, 2020 at 2:39 p.m.
Drafting by need is rarely the best way to draft.
Would you skip on Laf because you need a defenseman? No you wouldn't right?
Dry is the best pick on the board at 3, highest probably of being a solid NHL player if not an all star.
Byfield on the other hand is dropping in the draft. People like Dobber prospects have him listed under Rossi at this point.
On top of it, OTT could use a defenseman. They have two picks at 3 and 5.
You can get a center at 5. You probably aren't getting a defense man at 5, and Sand probably shouldn't go as high as 5.

Good chance OTT takes him.

Byfield is the second best player in this draft. Hes got all the tools to be an NHL star
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2020 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned
Byfield is the second best player in this draft. Hes got all the tools to be an NHL star

I don't think that is true at all.
Stutzle is the 2nd best player in the draft and probably the biggest steal as he could be the best player there. We'll see about that later. Unlike the Kappo Hughes debate, the Stutzle Laf debate will be a much more fun duo to watch.
After that things get mixed. 3-8 is a grab bag. Dry would probably be on the top of that bag due to position and the fact he has no flaws in his game. He's prototypical.
Everyone else out of that group has some kind of knock on them.
Including Byfield. Who is most likely to be a bust out of the lot. And that includes undersized Rossi. Because his size advantage ain't gonna make him so dominate at the NHL level. He's not playing 16 year old kids anymore.
You aren't getting what you think out of Byfield. his WJC games tend to show that.

Lot of rankings are putting the top 3 as Laf, Stutz, Dry.
ISS,
Dobber,
are two of the biggest.

And a whole lot of them have Stutzle at 2.
McKeen's
hockeyprospects
for example.

Byfield I'm gonna guess goes 4 or lower. Some have him out the top 5.
I can see how he would fall. laf and stutz go 1-2 , Dry is taken off the board at 3 as the top defense man. Det takes a RW in Raymond.
And you are at 5.
So we'll see. Too much hype on him, he hasn't done anything against better competition.
Stutz played in an adult league.
Raymond Holtz and Laf all played well at WJC
Byfield did not.

The game only gets harder and faster.
Jun. 28, 2020 at 5:27 p.m.
I don't think that is true at all.
Stutzle is the 2nd best player in the draft and probably the biggest steal as he could be the best player there. We'll see about that later. Unlike the Kappo Hughes debate, the Stutzle Laf debate will be a much more fun duo to watch.
After that things get mixed. 3-8 is a grab bag. Dry would probably be on the top of that bag due to position and the fact he has no flaws in his game. He's prototypical.
Everyone else out of that group has some kind of knock on them.
Including Byfield. Who is most likely to be a bust out of the lot. And that includes undersized Rossi. Because his size advantage ain't gonna make him so dominate at the NHL level. He's not playing 16 year old kids anymore.
You aren't getting what you think out of Byfield. his WJC games tend to show that.

Lot of rankings are putting the top 3 as Laf, Stutz, Dry.
ISS,
Dobber,
are two of the biggest.

And a whole lot of them have Stutzle at 2.
McKeen's
hockeyprospects
for example.

Byfield I'm gonna guess goes 4 or lower. Some have him out the top 5.
I can see how he would fall. laf and stutz go 1-2 , Dry is taken off the board at 3 as the top defense man. Det takes a RW in Raymond.
And you are at 5.
So we'll see. Too much hype on him, he hasn't done anything against better competition.
Stutz played in an adult league.
Raymond Holtz and Laf all played well at WJC
Byfield did not.

The game only gets harder and faster.

You have no idea what you’re talking about lol. Byfield has elite 1C potential. How can you base it off a world juniors tournament where he barely played. It will probably go:

Laf, Stuzle, Byfield

But that’s because LA has two top centre prospects in Turcotte+Vilardi+ they still have kopitar. Lots of teams would take Byfield at #2
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2020 at 6:10 p.m.
Banned
You have no idea what you’re talking about lol. Byfield has elite 1C potential. How can you base it off a world juniors tournament where he barely played. It will probably go:

Laf, Stuzle, Byfield

But that’s because LA has two top centre prospects in Turcotte+Vilardi+ they still have kopitar. Lots of teams would take Byfield at #2

your comment makes no sense.
Stutzle is a natural center, he's not a winger.
Yes he played there frequently in an adult league still learning to play away from the puck. Like most guys do, even when they enter the NHL.
But the ice there is also wider, more space, allowing him to use his speed more. That won't be the case in the NHL. Most people realize he's probably going to play C, because it's the best way to use his speed.
He's also a play maker. So putting him in the center of the ice is frankly the best decision. He's not a kane or a Panarin type player. He's much faster. Like a Barzal or McDavid level speed. You don't bury that on the wing.

As for Byfield having elite 1C potential...spare me. Every year they talk guys up.
But you can make judgement on guys based on competition level and how they play. The CHL is a joke competition wise. Yes there are a hand full of really good players there. But a lot of these guys are beating up on guys that don't even have AHL level talent, some are kids, 16 years old. Given they are the best of the 16 year olds, but they are still 16.
Mean while when you go to a WJC, you are looking at a nice jump. Most of those guys are going to be NHL bound. Have an opportunity.
Which is why people put so much weight on them. Like it matters when Byfield scores against 3rd and 4th line players in the CHL. Those guys aren't really good hockey players. More like bodies to fill out a team. But when you go to WJC and you look slow, don't play well, and struggle against the higher level competition. You have a problem. It's not like it was 1 game. It was 7.

There are realities. No one is saying Byfield won't be an NHL player, or a good player. But his ceiling is not what you keep making it out to be, and there is real bust potential there.
The NHL isn't the CHL. Where 80% of the players lack NHL level speed, 30% of it lacks NHL level size, and the vast majority of it lacks NHL level talent.
It's why guys go bust. So when you don't play well when you actually get on the ice with a whole bunch of other players who do. Everyone takes notice.
Jun. 28, 2020 at 6:25 p.m.
your comment makes no sense.
Stutzle is a natural center, he's not a winger.
Yes he played there frequently in an adult league still learning to play away from the puck. Like most guys do, even when they enter the NHL.
But the ice there is also wider, more space, allowing him to use his speed more. That won't be the case in the NHL. Most people realize he's probably going to play C, because it's the best way to use his speed.
He's also a play maker. So putting him in the center of the ice is frankly the best decision. He's not a kane or a Panarin type player. He's much faster. Like a Barzal or McDavid level speed. You don't bury that on the wing.

As for Byfield having elite 1C potential...spare me. Every year they talk guys up.
But you can make judgement on guys based on competition level and how they play. The CHL is a joke competition wise. Yes there are a hand full of really good players there. But a lot of these guys are beating up on guys that don't even have AHL level talent, some are kids, 16 years old. Given they are the best of the 16 year olds, but they are still 16.
Mean while when you go to a WJC, you are looking at a nice jump. Most of those guys are going to be NHL bound. Have an opportunity.
Which is why people put so much weight on them. Like it matters when Byfield scores against 3rd and 4th line players in the CHL. Those guys aren't really good hockey players. More like bodies to fill out a team. But when you go to WJC and you look slow, don't play well, and struggle against the higher level competition. You have a problem. It's not like it was 1 game. It was 7.

There are realities. No one is saying Byfield won't be an NHL player, or a good player. But his ceiling is not what you keep making it out to be, and there is real bust potential there.
The NHL isn't the CHL. Where 80% of the players lack NHL level speed, 30% of it lacks NHL level size, and the vast majority of it lacks NHL level talent.
It's why guys go bust. So when you don't play well when you actually get on the ice with a whole bunch of other players who do. Everyone takes notice.

Your takes are actually so bad lol. I’m not even gonna waste my time arguing with you. I quit reading when you said the CHL is a joke lmfao
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2020 at 6:08 a.m.
Banned
Your takes are actually so bad lol. I’m not even gonna waste my time arguing with you. I quit reading when you said the CHL is a joke lmfao

the only bad take here that you think CHL is high level hockey. It's a step up from high school level.
Not quite college.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll