Forums/Armchair-GM

1OA for 3OA and 5OA

Created by: alwaysnextyear
Team: 2020-21 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 27, 2020
Published: Jun. 27, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Do you do this deal if you're the team that wins the lotto? Do you do it if you're OTT?
Trades
OTT
  1. 2020 1st round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
1OA
(I picked the Wild but it could be any team that wins the pick)
MIN
  1. 2020 1st round pick (OTT)
  2. 2020 1st round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
3OA + 5OA
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
11$81,500,000$35,654,167$0$2,500,000$45,845,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LW
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 8

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:02 p.m.
I think it depends on the team to be honest. Its a deep draft, you could get to great pieces at 3 and 5
alwaysnextyear liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:06 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
Quoting: ON3M4N
I think it depends on the team to be honest. Its a deep draft, you could get to great pieces at 3 and 5

Agreed, players available at 3 and 5 could be a homerun. But it would be very tempting to get Lafreniere for OTT too.
ON3M4N liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:18 p.m.

It's funny how it's always a deep draft right before the draft.
It's also rare that the guys at 3 and 5 are a better combo than what number ine brings
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:19 p.m.
As sick as Lafreniere is, he's one player, and Ottawa needs to add several high end elite players to be a cup team for the future.

Lafreniere isn't worth more to Ottawa than Byfield/Stutzle AND Raymond/Rossi/Drysdale/Perfetti.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
It's funny how it's always a deep draft right before the draft.
It's also rare that the guys at 3 and 5 are a better combo than what number ine brings

They've seen saying this is one of the deepest drafts since last year.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.

They also said it was one of the weakest drafts in the winter
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:29 p.m.
Jefe
you'd need the right team to win 1st overall.....and then add substantially...

Throw in Branstrom with 3rd and 5th and you might have a conversation longer than 2 seconds with: NYR? WPG? Teams that have potent offenses that JUST, BARELY, MAYBE, MIGHT consider the idea of potentially getting Branstrom, Stutzle/Byfield, and Marco Rossi/Jamie Drysdale/Lucas Raymond, instead of 1 player, no matter how good....Food for thought.

Would you trade Auston Matthews for Miro Heiskanen and Elias Petterson? (1st OV for a 3rd and 5th OV) (I know its different, but...) I think you'd at least think about it for a minute
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:44 p.m.
Quoting: Jambo

Throw in Branstrom with 3rd and 5th and you might have a conversation longer than 2 seconds with: NYR? WPG? Teams that have potent offenses that JUST, BARELY, MAYBE, MIGHT consider the idea of potentially getting Branstrom, Stutzle/Byfield, and Marco Rossi/Jamie Drysdale/Lucas Raymond, instead of 1 player, no matter how good....Food for thought.

Would you trade Auston Matthews for Miro Heiskanen and Elias Petterson? (1st OV for a 3rd and 5th OV) (I know its different, but...) I think you'd at least think about it for a minute

I'd easily take Petterson and Heiskanen over Matthews but they weren't even the same year that was Nico at #1
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:45 p.m.
alwaysnextyear

I’ll definitely take Petey and Heiskanen over Matthews in that scenario
Jun. 27, 2020 at 5:58 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
No chance. It's better for Ottawa to get 2 players. I don't even think it would be a discussion, at least I hope it wouldn't

Heiskanen and Petterson all day. But then you think Sens would have to add brannstrom to 2 top 5 picks? That must be a joke
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
Jefe
Quoting: Bluetomorrow83
I'd easily take Petterson and Heiskanen over Matthews but they weren't even the same year that was Nico at #1

Quoting: alwaysnextyear
I’ll definitely take Petey and Heiskanen over Matthews in that scenario

Just trying to make a point that I think while there may be a number 1 guy, this draft has great, great talent at 3 and 5 too. Keep In mind how highly touted Hichier was anyway, over Heiskanen and Petey...And I think he's the third best player of them...

Point is that I think you don't necessarily scoff at the idea at moving from 1 to 3 and 5. But I think you need another bonafide young stud to add in, to give the 1st overall team a reason to feel less risky about giving up the number one guy
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:01 p.m.
Jefe
Quoting: CMac66
No chance. It's better for Ottawa to get 2 players. I don't even think it would be a discussion, at least I hope it wouldn't

Heiskanen and Petterson all day. But then you think Sens would have to add brannstrom to 2 top 5 picks? That must be a joke

only because it would be highly controversial to move down from 1. There would have to be an overpayment do do something so questionable
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:13 p.m.
alwaysnextyear

It absolutely depends on how the scouts see the impact of the available players... in retrospect here’s how i’d choose the last number of drafts of the choice is between 1 or 3+5;

2015: McDavid >>>>> Strome and Hanifin
2016: Matthews >>>>> Dubois and Juolevi
2017: Heiskanan and Pettersson >>>>>>>>>>> Hischier
2018: Dahlin >>>>> Kotkaniemi and Hayton
2019: Dach and Turcotte > Hughes?

It’s obviously more difficult to judge the more recent drafts, and it’s also easy to see how I’d change my mind on some of these when you look at the players that were still available with these picks (Tkachuk at #3 and Hughes at #5 in 2018 for example).

I’m just saying it’s a tough call.
Jambo and CD282 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:14 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
only because it would be highly controversial to move down from 1. There would have to be an overpayment do do something so questionable

because it's controversial? That's not a reason. That reason won't get Ottawa to give more. Imagine you being the GM of the Sens and being told they want you're best defensive prospect because trading down from 1 is 'controversial' lol. Not the best negotiation tactic
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:15 p.m.

Really? Never heard that, all I've heard for the past year was how deep it was. Do you have an article or anything with them stating it was the weakest draft? Be interested to read and compare to see why they've been flip flopping.
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:22 p.m.
Jefe
because it's controversial? That's not a reason. That reason won't get Ottawa to give more. Imagine you being the GM of the Sens and being told they want you're best defensive prospect because trading down from 1 is 'controversial' lol. Not the best negotiation tactic

Im just saying if I'm the GM of Team E, thats what I want from Ottawa to even son cider moving down. Im not saying its a good idea for Ottawa to do, I'm just saying I'm gonna need a lot to pass up on Lafrieniere. 3rd and 5th alone probably doesn't make me want to make the trade. Know what I mean? If you want Laf, really make me think about it
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:38 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Im just saying if I'm the GM of Team E, thats what I want from Ottawa to even son cider moving down. Im not saying its a good idea for Ottawa to do, I'm just saying I'm gonna need a lot to pass up on Lafrieniere. 3rd and 5th alone probably doesn't make me want to make the trade. Know what I mean? If you want Laf, really make me think about it

It's hard to imagine 3rd and 5th isn't a lot to think about. Hypothetically, say it was Winnipeg. 3 and 5 could be byfield and Drysdale solving their Centre position and RD for a decade or more. Or they can have another stud winger, that they have plenty of. Or say it's a team pressed up against the cap. Having 2 inpact players on ELCs rather than one gives them great flexibility with their roster.

So frankly, for me, I would need convincing to trade the 3 and 5 for Laff. Sure we don't know what they will be, and laff is the safest bet to be very good but it's a tough sell for a rebuilding team to go from 2 potential game changers to 1. Even though were all more sure of the 1
Jun. 27, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
Jefe
It's hard to imagine 3rd and 5th isn't a lot to think about. Hypothetically, say it was Winnipeg. 3 and 5 could be byfield and Drysdale solving their Centre position and RD for a decade or more. Or they can have another stud winger, that they have plenty of. Or say it's a team pressed up against the cap. Having 2 inpact players on ELCs rather than one gives them great flexibility with their roster.

So frankly, for me, I would need convincing to trade the 3 and 5 for Laff. Sure we don't know what they will be, and laff is the safest bet to be very good but it's a tough sell for a rebuilding team to go from 2 potential game changers to 1. Even though were all more sure of the 1

thats fair...definately depends on if Im a team like WPG who can be a little picky due to an already pretty dynamite offense
CMac66 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2020 at 12:03 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
thats fair...definately depends on if Im a team like WPG who can be a little picky due to an already pretty dynamite offense

Agreed, it could open some avenues for teams on the cusp of being a great team
Jambo liked this.
Jun. 29, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.

Lots of skill in this draft, but what I've noticed is a lot of small guys and not a lot of elite skaters. That's not a good combination for making the NHL.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll