SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

New cap is set

Jul. 1, 2020 at 5:53 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Heard on the fan 590 that the cap is going to be 81.5 million for the new season and same for 2021-22... followed by 2022-12 cap to be 82.5 million

Thoughts?

@palhal @jamiepo @onex @Sign_em_up000000 @jack_ @PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood @tomato43 @SammyT_51 @Random2152 @oldnyifan

Anyone else please feel free to share your thoughts too.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 6:14 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Trickster
Heard on the fan 590 that the cap is going to be 81.5 million for the new season and same for 2021-22... followed by 2022-12 cap to be 82.5 million

Thoughts?

@palhal @jamiepo @onex @Sign_em_up000000 @jack_ @PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood @tomato43 @SammyT_51 @Random2152 @oldnyifan

Eeeeeeeh it is what it is. Pridham is about to earn his paycheque
OldNYIfan, PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood, Trickster and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 6:18 p.m.
I'm not surprised. Actually the thing I am surprised about is there's no indication of salary rollbacks yet... but that is probably a product of the two sides negotiating about many things including such rollbacks.

I'm actually very interested to see what UFAs will get in the open market.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Heard on the fan 590 that the cap is going to be 81.5 million for the new season and same for 2021-22... followed by 2022-23 cap to be 82.5 million

Thoughts?

palhal jamiepo onex Sign_em_up000000 jack_ PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood tomato43 SammyT_51 Random2152

Thought #1: It's what all of us have been planning for, so no surprise.

Thought #2: The inclusion of what sounds to me like pure speculation about following years (why would anyone in charge even be thinking about that right now?) makes me suspicious of the whole story.
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 6:24 p.m.
Banned

Thoughts?

Makes me happy we have Dubas and Pridham not giving terrible contracts to aging vets
oneX, Trickster, tomato43 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 6:28 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan

Thought #2: The inclusion of what sounds to me like pure speculation about following years (why would anyone in charge even be thinking about that right now?) makes me suspicious of the whole story.

I listened to the same report @Trickster is posting about. Part of why future years are being agreed on is A: because of COVID and B: they are in the middle of negotiating a CBA.

This report also mentioned the Olympics being part of the NHL's plans for 2022 and 2026 which is very important to the players.
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 7:19 p.m.
tomato
I wouldn't call it crippling, but it is definitely a blow to our future chances of winning a cup. An increase of 2.5 - 4.0 Million a year in that span means the huge contracts to the big 3 wouldn't have mattered as much. The circumstances around a global pandemic couldn't be foreseen so i have nothing bad to say about how management has handled the cap so far. I think Dubas and Pridham have done well by avoiding signing bad contracts. I think they could have gotten Marner and Matthews a million or so cheaper each, but big deal.

It sounds like the league will not be handing out CBOs, which is a good thing in my opinion since the leafs have no real 'bad contracts' to buy out. The extra space we would have had with a regular cap increases would have let us possibly go after Hamilton after next year, i don't see how that happens now. I expect Dermott to be penny pinched on a bridge deal. Johnsson or Kap to be traded during the 'offseason' to make a little space for some sort of right side D upgrade. Dermott might be dangled in a trade as well, which i would hate. I pray that Barabanov, Robertson, Lehtonen, Liljegren all work out and can fill out the roster with cheap options.

I think Anderson is gone when his contract ends. We wont have the space to pay him, especially considering he will be 32. Hyman while he has proven to be very useful i don't feel like paying him ~5M when he hits free agency as well. Unless he wants to takes team friendly deal in terms of cap number and length i dont think can be resigned either.

I hope that this stagnation in the cap will be reflected in the UFA signings. I hope management of each team all stand pat and penny pinch the UFA class knowing that the cap be increasing to give them breathing room after giving out big contracts. This might keep the market low enough for us to sign some useful players to cheap deals.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 7:29 p.m.
tomato
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Makes me happy we have Dubas and Pridham not giving terrible contracts to aging vets

People love to talk **** about Matthews and Marner both getting overpaid by Dubas. Id rather have each of them overpaid by a mill or so and not have a Neal or Lucic or Backes on our roster wasting 5-6M.
Random2152, Trickster, oneX and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 9:10 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
It still baffles me that they are planning so far ahead when they have no idea what's going on. The cap next season will for sure be effected by Corona but I see no reason why the following two should be with the TV deals coming up and assuming they play the whole 164+ playoff games
palhal and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 9:23 p.m.
tomato
Quoting: Jack_
It still baffles me that they are planning so far ahead when they have no idea what's going on. The cap next season will for sure be effected by Corona but I see no reason why the following two should be with the TV deals coming up and assuming they play the whole 164+ playoff games

I think they are thinking maybe they wont be able to have full capacity attendance. Economy will be in the ****ter, leaving people with less disposable income to spend on hockey related revenue. im sure smarter people than us have been involved in these equations.
Jack_, Random2152, Trickster and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 1, 2020 at 11:20 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: SammyT_51
Eeeeeeeh it is what it is. Pridham is about to earn his paycheque

Honestly I am not particularly worried. The reason the Leafs are so close to the cap is because everyone is signed for the foreseeable future. If we had to sign a guy like Cirelli, Pettersson, Hughes or Laine in that time period I'd be worried. Actually Bim Jenning's Free Agent Follies are REALLY going to hurt them. Everyone talks about the Leafs but **** is that team ever screwed. They are going to be hard pressed to dump cap and need to find a way to keep the big two. The Islanders also need to find a way to Keep Barzal even though they spend nearly as much as the Leafs on their F core already and are weighted down by FA's.

So am I worried? Not really. Will we need to be careful and work around a tight cap? Yes, but everyone will. We are actually better positioned than most teams to get through this imo.
Trickster, tomato43, oneX and 3 others liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:51 a.m.
Quoting: Jack_

What @tomato43 said but also you have have to consider that the medical community may not have a vaccine for COVID as fast as everyone wants one.

It's a bad example but there's no vaccine for HIV and that's been around for what? 40 years now... the point is, some times vaccines take time and that may mean multiple seasons with zero to 25% capacity attendance at arenas.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 2:03 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Honestly I am not particularly worried. The reason the Leafs are so close to the cap is because everyone is signed for the foreseeable future. If we had to sign a guy like Cirelli, Pettersson, Hughes or Laine in that time period I'd be worried. Actually Bim Jenning's Free Agent Follies are REALLY going to hurt them. Everyone talks about the Leafs but **** is that team ever screwed. They are going to be hard pressed to dump cap and need to find a way to keep the big two. The Islanders also need to find a way to Keep Barzal even though they spend nearly as much as the Leafs on their F core already and are weighted down by FA's.

So am I worried? Not really. Will we need to be careful and work around a tight cap? Yes, but everyone will. We are actually better positioned than most teams to get through this imo.

Kudos for the optimism. But if confirmed, this is bad news for Leafs management.

The generous contracts Leafs gave made sense if anticipating a steep cap increase and inflation in salaries. Now, teams that signed their young stars on bridge deals instead, as I always said Dubas should have done, will have the upper hand in contract negotiations. Bad economy, COVID, stagnant cap, most GMs stuck with no room to overbid: not a good context for agents to ask extravagant salaries.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 8:22 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Thoughts?

Jul. 2, 2020 at 8:29 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Really don't how the NHL can predict the cap when there is no guarantee of what the revenue will be in the next few years.
Imagine the NHLPA is delighted.
But I gotta believe the majority of NHLPA members will not like the proposal if the current contract holders get to keep their pre Covid inflated salaries while the others fight for scraps. Still think there will be a reduction of "old salaries" so the new contract can reflect more closely their value.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 8:33 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: oneX
I'm not surprised. Actually the thing I am surprised about is there's no indication of salary rollbacks yet... but that is probably a product of the two sides negotiating about many things including such rollbacks.

The cap might have been confirmed, but I think the next step will be negotiated rollbacks. The NHLPA members who will be negotiating new contracts this year and the next few years would want rollbacks on current contracts. I predict rollbacks so players get back for their on ice value, not when they signed their contracts.
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 8:42 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: leaflet
Kudos for the optimism. But if confirmed, this is bad news for Leafs management.

The generous contracts Leafs gave made sense if anticipating a steep cap increase and inflation in salaries. Now, teams that signed their young stars on bridge deals instead, as I always said Dubas should have done, will have the upper hand in contract negotiations. Bad economy, COVID, stagnant cap, most GMs stuck with no room to overbid: not a good context for agents to ask extravagant salaries.

I disagree.
Like @tomato43 said... Leafs have no bad contracts on the books.
Even if Matthews or Marner are tad overpaid, it is still way better then having say a Lucic contract or a Gourde contract on the books.
oneX, tomato43 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 12:58 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: palhal
Really don't how the NHL can predict the cap when there is no guarantee of what the revenue will be in the next few years.
Imagine the NHLPA is delighted.
But I gotta believe the majority of NHLPA members will not like the proposal if the current contract holders get to keep their pre Covid inflated salaries while the others fight for scraps. Still think there will be a reduction of "old salaries" so the new contract can reflect more closely their value.

The NHL cant keep give 1 year projections to teams as teams have to peject for the future and now at the same time.

This is safe bet by the league, how it goes... let's see.
palhal and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 4:13 p.m.
It just limits their ability to fix the RD hole aside from a trade.
tomato43 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 6:08 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: EnvironmentalTwister
It just limits their ability to fix the RD hole aside from a trade.

We will be fine at RD, that topic is grossly overblown on capfriendly
Jul. 4, 2020 at 2:22 p.m.

Thoughts?

I expected the cap to be stagnant for the next few years. It hurts what we can do but it makes sense considering smaller market teams will have trouble spending to the floor and because teams won't be able to fill their stadiums. The new t.v. deal will help the league replenish some of the lost profits from COVID19 but it won't come close to the NBA's t.v deal because Americans don't like hockey as much as basketball. All that said I don't expect big changes to the roster aside from players like Johnsson/Kapanen/Kerfoot one or more becoming cap casualties but I trust our FO to fill the void as best as they can with cheaper options which was already going to happen at some point anyways. I can't see Andersen and more likely than before even Rielly but only time will tell how our management handles the upcoming situation. I will say we're pretty lucky we don't have any albatross contracts on our hands or we'd be really screwed.
OldNYIfan, Trickster and oneX liked this.
Jul. 4, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.
Quoting: oneX

I'm actually very interested to see what UFAs will get in the open market.

I don't see any UFAs cashing in because most teams either won't be able to afford to pay them what they want or will have to be extra careful with their cap space and it doesn't make sense for teams in rebuilding phase to hand out big contracts to players who won't help them win based on their current expectations in terms of competing.
Jul. 4, 2020 at 2:34 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan

My take on thought #2 is the league generates so much profit each year and with the season being put on hold those profits are non-existent so the league is trying to project where they think they'll be at especially with small market teams having a hard enough time being able to spend to the floor. Look at Arizona a team that hemorrhages money every year, sure they just got an owner who was willing to invest money into the team while understanding he'd be losing money but I can't see how his outlook hasn't changed after this especially with so many people out of work and most people with less expendable cash flow to spend and teams not being able to fill their stadiums. That's just my take tho and I could be out to lunch on this one.
Jul. 4, 2020 at 2:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
OK, the owners (not the NHL) has thrown the NHLPA a bone....just hoping there is enough revenue to have such a cap.
But the owners, might want something too. It's hard for me to believe that the members of the NHLPA who soon will have upcoming contracts are going too happy that "old contracts" keep all their money and the players who are going to sign new deals are forced into a flat cap situation.
Gotta believe the majority of the NHLPA are going to vote for a reduction in pay for some of the current big cap players so it can distributed further down the line with new signings.

Let's clarify. The LEAGUE does not make money. The individual owners make, or lose money. The players make money.;
Jul. 4, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: tomato43
I wouldn't call it crippling, but it is definitely a blow to our future chances of winning a cup. An increase of 2.5 - 4.0 Million a year in that span means the huge contracts to the big 3 wouldn't have mattered as much. The circumstances around a global pandemic couldn't be foreseen so i have nothing bad to say about how management has handled the cap so far. I think Dubas and Pridham have done well by avoiding signing bad contracts. I think they could have gotten Marner and Matthews a million or so cheaper each, but big deal.

It sounds like the league will not be handing out CBOs, which is a good thing in my opinion since the leafs have no real 'bad contracts' to buy out. The extra space we would have had with a regular cap increases would have let us possibly go after Hamilton after next year, i don't see how that happens now. I expect Dermott to be penny pinched on a bridge deal. Johnsson or Kap to be traded during the 'offseason' to make a little space for some sort of right side D upgrade. Dermott might be dangled in a trade as well, which i would hate. I pray that Barabanov, Robertson, Lehtonen, Liljegren all work out and can fill out the roster with cheap options.

I think Anderson is gone when his contract ends. We wont have the space to pay him, especially considering he will be 32. Hyman while he has proven to be very useful i don't feel like paying him ~5M when he hits free agency as well. Unless he wants to takes team friendly deal in terms of cap number and length i dont think can be resigned either.

I hope that this stagnation in the cap will be reflected in the UFA signings. I hope management of each team all stand pat and penny pinch the UFA class knowing that the cap be increasing to give them breathing room after giving out big contracts. This might keep the market low enough for us to sign some useful players to cheap deals.

Good points, but what if the league handed out CBO's and teams that chose not to use them could instead increase their spending/cap ceiling by a certain %. Just a thought that I realize the league wouldn't do but it would be a lot cooler if they did lol.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll