Forums/Armchair-GM

A Partial Sweep Plus 1st Overall

Created by: HatterTParty
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 1, 2020
Published: Jul. 2, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Kane waives his NMC with three years of not earning a playoff spot taking its toll. Montréal isn’t much better off granted. Toews stays cuz he’s captain and just wants to retire in Chicago. Keith and seabrook cuz god knows they’ll never waive and no one really wants those contracts. Saad stays cuz there is legitimately no trade I can think of for Saad where a consensus can be made as to his value. Lastly, lafreniere, nuff said.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
2$3,750,000
2$3,000,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Mitchell, Ian
3$925,000
Lafreniere, Alexis
3$925,000
Trades
CHI
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (BUF)
CHI
  1. Caufield, Cole [Reserve List]
  2. Primeau, Cayden
  3. Suzuki, Nick
  4. 2020 2nd round pick (CHI)
  5. 2021 1st round pick (MTL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$63,364,539$1,090,244$4,707,500$18,135,461
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Lafreniere, Alexis
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Mitchell, Ian
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$880,833$880,833
G
RFA - 2
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 2, 2020 at 12:37 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Keith + Retained = value.

at least you kept Dach.
Wadejos123 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 12:45 a.m.
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
Keith + Retained = value.

at least you kept Dach.

His value doesn’t mean anything if he doesn’t waive, so no worries there. I could care less for Dach, him on the third line scoring 30-40 points a season with competent wingers flanking him is fine. I’d like him to either learn to take faceoffs or just play wing. He’s a good defensively, I’ll settle for that.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:02 a.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
His value doesn’t mean anything if he doesn’t waive, so no worries there. I could care less for Dach, him on the third line scoring 30-40 points a season with competent wingers flanking him is fine. I’d like him to either learn to take faceoffs or just play wing. He’s a good defensively, I’ll settle for that.

Hatter my boy, we had this faceoffs conversation before
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:05 a.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
Hatter my boy, we had this faceoffs conversation before

I know I know, it’ll come. I just don’t trust him offensively.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:07 a.m.
I know I know, it’ll come. I just don’t trust him offensively.

once he goes to the gym he should be a lot more successful, because he's already pretty confident in his abilities. 1 offseason with Keane and Kane and he'll be pulling off the toe drags he keeps attempting.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:12 a.m.

You're saying Keith's not waiving but Kane is waiving for....wait for this....Montreal? C'mon!

And then minature Cole on the 1st line will get crushed, but hey let's bury Dach on the 3rd line...doesn't make sense.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:12 a.m.
Zuke is the goat
MTL have zero interest in Kane. Especially when you riped half of our team for him... What an horrible trade. But I do get this is some sort of joke
GMs liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:13 a.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
once he goes to the gym he should be a lot more successful, because he's already pretty confident in his abilities. 1 offseason with Keane and Kane and he'll be pulling off the toe drags he keeps attempting.

That’s part of the problem. I don’t want him learning toe drags and getting hip checked into the third row. I want him to learn north south speed, take 1,000 wrist shots a day till he gets some power on it, and learn to be more direct. He’s not Mario Lemieux.

You’re right, an off-season May do him some good. But he may have to wait another year for that offseason. I do admit I’m never going to like Dach, but I’ll hope for the best for the team.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:14 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
You're saying Keith's not waiving but Kane is waiving for....wait for this....Montreal? C'mon!

And then minature Cole on the 1st line will get crushed, but hey let's bury Dach on the 3rd line...doesn't make sense.

Definitely has some appealing pieces in Montreal, but New York is the alternative.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:15 a.m.
Quoting: math731
MTL have zero interest in Kane. Especially when you riped half of our team for him... What an horrible trade. But I do get this is some sort of joke

No joke, got the idea from another habs fan. Either way, I agree that this definitely fleeces Montréal. Sorry if I offended you in any way.
math731 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:21 a.m.

Are you telling me to put Dach on the 1st line? Does cole’s size make him a bigger on the 1st line than the 3rd? It’s hockey, he’s a target either way. In this case, he gets to play with toews and kubalik who each play good defense and allow him offensive freedom. Suzuki is plenty good enough for second line minutes coming off 40+ points this year. Dach has debrincat to pass to and nylander, who everyone and their mother adores after a “strong rookie season.” Dach can provide the defense. What’s wrong with that? Dach is 19 and still needs to grow offensively.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:24 a.m.
Edited Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:49 a.m.
That’s part of the problem. I don’t want him learning toe drags and getting hip checked into the third row. I want him to learn north south speed, take 1,000 wrist shots a day till he gets some power on it, and learn to be more direct. He’s not Mario Lemieux.

You’re right, an off-season May do him some good. But he may have to wait another year for that offseason. I do admit I’m never going to like Dach, but I’ll hope for the best for the team.

I get you're a pessimistic glass half empty guy, but seriously I don't get the "I'm never going to like Dach" comment. So you mean if he put up over 82 points a season when he peaks, you still won't like him? Seems kind of foolish to say that.

You and I had strong feelings prior to the draft and post draft and then Dach started playing at 18 years old...nobody in their right mind would question him at this point. He's done more then anyone else in his draft class so far, and you are saying he needs to prove more....you should be saying the kids that couldn't step into the NHL should prove more then Dach at this point. I'll look forward to watching Dach's progress this coming season versus Turcotte in his first NHL season but as of now, nobody in their right mind would be questioning the Hawks pick. I ate crap and admit I'm wrong, you should consider doing the same.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:33 a.m.
Are you telling me to put Dach on the 1st line? Does cole’s size make him a bigger on the 1st line than the 3rd? It’s hockey, he’s a target either way. In this case, he gets to play with toews and kubalik who each play good defense and allow him offensive freedom. Suzuki is plenty good enough for second line minutes coming off 40+ points this year. Dach has debrincat to pass to and nylander, who everyone and their mother adores after a “strong rookie season.” Dach can provide the defense. What’s wrong with that? Dach is 19 and still needs to grow offensively.

Generally, teams do not put small players on the 1st line, they play their bigger guys up front. Look at Cat, take a look at his advanced stats on the 1st line...despite playing with better talent....he's sucked. Hockey is about matchups and balance. There is a reason Kane has played most of his career on the 2nd line also. 1st liners are the generally the bigger, faster, stronger, and talented guys....they close in fast and play physical, that's why generally smaller guys play middle 6 to allow them space to perform better. Cat is a perfect example of this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 1:54 a.m.
Generally, teams do not put small players on the 1st line, they play their bigger guys up front. Look at Cat, take a look at his advanced stats on the 1st line...despite playing with better talent....he's sucked. Hockey is about matchups and balance. There is a reason Kane has played most of his career on the 2nd line also. 1st liners are the generally the bigger, faster, stronger, and talented guys....they close in fast and play physical, that's why generally smaller guys play middle 6 to allow them space to perform better. Cat is a perfect example of this.

You use The example of cat, I think of Marty St. Louis, Brendan Gallagher, and point and kuch on the Lightning (5’11’’ but all of 175 lbs.) The lineup I have kinda tried to follow that idea of balance. Each has a two way player, offensive talent, and a balance of playmaker and goal scorer.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 2:01 a.m.
Ken Holland Hater
lol
HatterTParty liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 2:10 a.m.
I get you're a pessimistic glass half empty guy, but seriously I don't get the "I'm never going to like Dach" comment. So you mean if he put up over 82 points a season when he peaks, you still won't like him? Seems kind of foolish to say that.

You and I had strong feelings prior to the draft and post draft and then Dach started playing at 18 years old...nobody in their right mind would question him at this point. He's done more then anyone else in his draft class so far, and you are saying he needs to prove more....you should be saying the kids that couldn't step into the NHL should prove more then Dach at this point. I'll look forward to watching Dach's progress this coming season versus Turcotte in his first NHL season but as of now, nobody in their right mind would be questioning the Hawks pick. I ate crap and admit I'm wrong, you should consider doing the same.

I’ve talked about this plenty of times. Just because they’re hawks doesn’t mean I’m going to like the player or the type of player they are. I never liked bickell, never quite liked Shaw, I never even liked Andrew Ladd I’d I’m being honest. Doesn’t mean I didn’t root for the hawks.

Dach is gonna be no different. He can have a great career, good for him. Good for him for making strides this season. In all honesty, he turned out to be exactly what his draft profile said. They said he was probably most NHL ready, so at least that part turned out true. I don’t like getzlaf or getzlaf styled players. Him having a great career doesn’t depend on my respect though. That’s fine. In case you want me to say it, no, I’m not gonna be a fan of his even if he hits 82 points a season. If he gets 50 a season I’ll at least take it.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 8:50 a.m.
I’ve talked about this plenty of times. Just because they’re hawks doesn’t mean I’m going to like the player or the type of player they are. I never liked bickell, never quite liked Shaw, I never even liked Andrew Ladd I’d I’m being honest. Doesn’t mean I didn’t root for the hawks.

Dach is gonna be no different. He can have a great career, good for him. Good for him for making strides this season. In all honesty, he turned out to be exactly what his draft profile said. They said he was probably most NHL ready, so at least that part turned out true. I don’t like getzlaf or getzlaf styled players. Him having a great career doesn’t depend on my respect though. That’s fine. In case you want me to say it, no, I’m not gonna be a fan of his even if he hits 82 points a season. If he gets 50 a season I’ll at least take it.

Dach isn't comparible to Shaw or Bikckell or Ladd at all. He is so much more skilled. Dach is more comparable to Toews than any of those other guys.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 8:51 a.m.
I've got a feeling if kane was somehow willing to Waive, Toews, Kieth, Seabs, and Crow would welcome trades as well. Seabs is immovable at least for two more years when his NMC turns to a M-NTC, but maybe he would just retire if the rest of the gang left him
Jul. 2, 2020 at 9:38 a.m.
Banned
laugh laugh Patrick Kane isn't waiving his NMC for Montreal, And FYI Cole Caufield has committed to his Sophomore year at Wisconsin so he's not playing in the NHL next season. And Strome alone isn't getting you Jonas Brodin.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 10:43 a.m.
Quoting: Wadejos123
I've got a feeling if kane was somehow willing to Waive, Toews, Kieth, Seabs, and Crow would welcome trades as well. Seabs is immovable at least for two more years when his NMC turns to a M-NTC, but maybe he would just retire if the rest of the gang left him

I’d have to imagine you’re right. If one of the five get the ball rolling, it’s very possible each one could finally request an out. I do think it’s fair to say that won’t ever happen though. I’m sure that definitely goes without saying. This is more to illustrate what Kane could (and probably should) fetch in a trade.

Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
laugh laugh Patrick Kane isn't waiving his NMC for Montreal, And FYI Cole Caufield has committed to his Sophomore year at Wisconsin so he's not playing in the NHL next season. And Strome alone isn't getting you Jonas Brodin.

No, Kane would never waive for Montreal, unless by some miracle they became a top 3 team in the next few years. Yes, caufield will be returning to college. No, strome probably wouldn’t get brodin straight up, even though the trade actually addresses both teams. Thank you for the opinions.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 10:50 a.m.
Quoting: Wadejos123
Dach isn't comparible to Shaw or Bikckell or Ladd at all. He is so much more skilled. Dach is more comparable to Toews than any of those other guys.

I’m not saying Dach is comparable to any one of those three in any way based on playing style, and I don’t think I said that either. I only pointed out they were hawks, like Dach.

Personally, I’d never compare Dach to toews because the comparison is only due to being teammates. Dach’s comparison is Ryan getzlaf, it has been since the draft. That being said, I’m just not a fan of getzlaf or a getzlaf styled player. I haven’t since getzlaf debuted, I haven’t Dach was drafted, and I haven’t had any reason since. That’s not a bad thing. I don’t even like nylander for other reasons. Doesn’t mean I don’t care about or love my team.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 11:43 a.m.
I’m not saying Dach is comparable to any one of those three in any way based on playing style, and I don’t think I said that either. I only pointed out they were hawks, like Dach.

Personally, I’d never compare Dach to toews because the comparison is only due to being teammates. Dach’s comparison is Ryan getzlaf, it has been since the draft. That being said, I’m just not a fan of getzlaf or a getzlaf styled player. I haven’t since getzlaf debuted, I haven’t Dach was drafted, and I haven’t had any reason since. That’s not a bad thing. I don’t even like nylander for other reasons. Doesn’t mean I don’t care about or love my team.

Fair enough. Personally I would be very happy if Dach turned out to be like getslaf. Getzlaf was a PPG player for a long time in this league and also had that physical edge and grit that is needed for playoff hockey. I think Dach is less physical that Getslaf and more skilled. Thats why I do think he's closer to Toews than Getslaf in comparison. But it's all just personal opinion
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 2:43 p.m.
You use The example of cat, I think of Marty St. Louis, Brendan Gallagher, and point and kuch on the Lightning (5’11’’ but all of 175 lbs.) The lineup I have kinda tried to follow that idea of balance. Each has a two way player, offensive talent, and a balance of playmaker and goal scorer.

Caufield is 5'7" and 160lbs, which puts him closer to Cat not Gallagher who's 2 inches taller and 25lbs heavier. Caufield will get crushed on the 1st line.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.

I get it, you're a glass half empty type of guy based on your rants about the team, management, and players. You are extremely critical of the team and the players which I know you and most of our brothers here would agree with. I can only imagine you weren't a fan for the 10 to 12 years leading up to the first of three cups in the last decade because those were years when the fans had real reason to be so critical and upset. This team brought 3 cups in the last decade and the team of the decade as voted by coaches, players and the NHL. They are still a lot of fun to watch, they are going through a retooling and will be back in the playoffs in the next couple years. Fans of 29 other teams would love to have the Hawks roster over the last 10 years. You simply can't win every year or even make the playoffs every year..that's just the way it is with a hard cap and what makes hockey a much better overall sport to follow then other sports...it's the ultimate team sport with the most parity in all professional sports.

Regarding Dach, for someone not to like the top 2 best prospects this team has seen in 10 years amazes me. Shaw, Ladd, Bickell were nowhere near Dach in skill. Dach is the best center the Hawks have seen since Toews and we desperately needed a center to fill the shoes when Toews is gone...Strome is not that guy and Turcotte is a big question mark so the Hawks did exactly what they should have done with the #3 pick as evidence by the fact both Colorado and LA had Dach as their #1 pick also...widely reported. If you don't like his game, then I guess that sucks knowing you will be watching for the next 10 years with likely a C or A on his chest eventually because he is the future leader of this team as it stands today. Like I said, pre and post draft wasn't a big fan, but watching him...the kid has a ton of talent and I was wrong. Rarely have I said I don't like a A caliber player's game...just seems strange to me.
Jul. 2, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.
I get it, you're a glass half empty type of guy based on your rants about the team, management, and players. You are extremely critical of the team and the players which I know you and most of our brothers here would agree with. I can only imagine you weren't a fan for the 10 to 12 years leading up to the first of three cups in the last decade because those were years when the fans had real reason to be so critical and upset. This team brought 3 cups in the last decade and the team of the decade as voted by coaches, players and the NHL. They are still a lot of fun to watch, they are going through a retooling and will be back in the playoffs in the next couple years. Fans of 29 other teams would love to have the Hawks roster over the last 10 years. You simply can't win every year or even make the playoffs every year..that's just the way it is with a hard cap and what makes hockey a much better overall sport to follow then other sports...it's the ultimate team sport with the most parity in all professional sports.

Regarding Dach, for someone not to like the top 2 best prospects this team has seen in 10 years amazes me. Shaw, Ladd, Bickell were nowhere near Dach in skill. Dach is the best center the Hawks have seen since Toews and we desperately needed a center to fill the shoes when Toews is gone...Strome is not that guy and Turcotte is a big question mark so the Hawks did exactly what they should have done with the #3 pick as evidence by the fact both Colorado and LA had Dach as their #1 pick also...widely reported. If you don't like his game, then I guess that sucks knowing you will be watching for the next 10 years with likely a C or A on his chest eventually because he is the future leader of this team as it stands today. Like I said, pre and post draft wasn't a big fan, but watching him...the kid has a ton of talent and I was wrong. Rarely have I said I don't like a A caliber player's game...just seems strange to me.

Believe me, I’ve been a fan of this team since 1994 when I saw my first game as a 4 year old. Back then, I understand the pain and why it was happening. Bill wirtz ruined a great deal of the 90s and the first 7 years of the millennium due to his policies. Back then, dollar bill was all I knew. Back then, the owner DIDNT MIND THAT THE TEAM WAS BAD. That’s an important distinction to make. I didn’t care how bad they were because it was the standard the OWNER set for the team. Again, That’s a very important Distinction to make. Once rocky took over, things changed. Success was actually a priority. Cups arrived and legends were made. A NEW STANDARD WAS SET. Again, distinctions. This became expected. You can’t win every year, but you damn sure do what’s best for the team as a whole. Be it drafting, free agents, contracts, coaches, GMs, etc., everyone was held accountable. Now, after three years, I don’t see that standard anymore. A standard more familiar to dollar bill seems to be creeping in. Yes, this is a sport of parity and team emphasis, but i want to believe rocky still wants this team to thrive.

As for Dach, who knows bowman may trade like he does all 1st rounders, lol. Everyone and their blind mother knows Dach isn’t like bickell, Shaw, and Ladd. Again, just trying to emphasize I don’t like all hawks. As for Dach being the best center we’ve seen since toews, that’s not asking a lot considering the low bar our drafting of centers has set. I think danault is the only other one I can think of. No, I don’t like his game. Even if I live through ten years of him, that won’t change and that’s fine! If he gets the C or A, good for him. I hope he proves me wrong and actually wins a cup. But if I don’t like him or style, I’m not gonna make the mistake of having high expectations from him. I don’t think I understand who the other top 2 prospect you’re thinking of is though???

I’ll still love the hawks despite him, bowman, and JC. I just hope the standard still is “one goal,” instead of “small goals.”

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll