SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2019 Redraft

2019 Redraft

Draft Class: 2019
Created By: TMarch
Published: Jul. 6, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Wasn't great, but wasn't as bad as his numbers look. His 5.7% SH% doesn't help things. NJD needs to get him some help on the wings.
2Logo of the New York Rangers-Needs to shoot way more. 109 shots in 66 games isn't enough. Interestingly enough, had a 51/49 Ozone/Dzone split, which is unheard of for someone that young.
3Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-More for need than actual draft position. Byram could be a top pairing Dman (if he wasn't in COL) as soon as 2 seasons from now.
4Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsThey drafted BPA when it was their turn, and they still do, but it's actually something that could be needed in the future.
5Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Right position, wrong player originally. Could have made the jump for 2020-2021 season without argument.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Had a real hard time putting him here above Newhook or Caufield, but he played well against his peers (6pts in 7 U20 games), and showed he can play against men at 18. He also fills a need in DET. Would accept arguments for Turcotte or Cozens here too. The dropoff from Seider to Broberg or Soderstrom is pretty big. If he shoots more, he'll solidify his top D pairing status.
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Imagine Caufield on Eichel's RW?!?! Caufield "underwhelmed" at a 1PPG for Wisconsin. As a winger, that's pretty big.
8Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Would be ready right on time to be RNH's replacement (either as a 2C or a winger).
9Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Turcotte goes from LA to Anaheim. Another "underwhelming" season at Wisconsin at just under 1PPG. I don't think Wisconsin's bad season had anything to do with Turcotte or Caufield though.
10Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Would be ready to take over the 2C role in VAN right when Horvat is going to UFA. Would also be a great compliment to Pettersson.
11Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersSame result. Great at the WJC, great in the SHL (for his age).
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Late birthday, consistent stats, big body. He has 2D/1PP written all over him.
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-I think they skipped the G and go for the C. McMichael was pretty good, and took off this season.
14Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Arizona CoyotesIf he doesn't tear his ACL, he was a top 10 prospect in his draft year. After coming back, he gets drafted higher.
15Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The hunt for a 1C continues. Boldy has the size, some skill, and some more growing to do.
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Take the Russian risk for your 2nd 1st rounder. Played against men in the KHL this year, good WJC, and was having a good KHL playoff when the virus hit.
17Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-The Flower's replacement. A Knight on the Golden Knights, it just writes itself. Did not disappoint this season.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-Entire season in the SHL shows something. I think he's a better player on the smaller ice.
19Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLAK stole him in the early 2nd round last year, won't happen again. Might have had 50 goals 2 years in a row.
20Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Same same. Made the team out of camp, but didn't impress much in the AHL, was better in the Liiga, but his shot vanished when he went back to Europe (for the WJC too).
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
Cam York (-7 )
Michigan wasn't a great team this year, but Cam held it together as much as he could. This coming season will show something (Michigan should be well stocked for 2020-2021).
22Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsSame same. Showed pretty well in the AHL. But was just blah in the WJC against his peers..
23Logo of the New York Islanders-He was on the radar starting at pick 16, some of it was need, but I think some of his hype is also he's a TOR prospect, so he's the next McDavid. He may start 2020-2021 in the NHL. 50 goals in the CHL is nothing to disregard. Some people say he's better than Caufield, but I don't see it.
24Logo of the Nashville Predators-Almost put Tomasino back in here, but Poulin is a little more developed in my mind. Already had pro size.
25Logo of the Washington Capitals-Pro build, ran a good team in ND. At some point WSH will need to rebuild the middle. He would be a great start.
26Logo of the Calgary Flames-Tomasino didn't disappoint this year, a few guys just moved past him. CGY is a good spot, they'll need a couple of Cs soon.
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-TBL will need cheap forwards. Holmstrom spent the year in the AHL, proved he could play.
28Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-CAR will eventually trade a Dman or two. Thomson was just OK at the WJC, but he played very well in Liiga.
29Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the San Jose SharksSuper quick C, short and sturdy. Did not get the call to go to the WJC (though, Canada was very deep at C). Did not disappoint for Moncton.
30Logo of the Boston Bruins-Some teams turned off because he wanted to come play in college for 2020-2021, so he didn't graduate to Liiga. Would have easily been a top 4 Dman in Liiga this season. He'll marinate at Denver for a year or two.
31Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the St. Louis BluesKeep shooting for those #2Cs to put behind Eichel. Different player than his brother, more of a setup man.
Jul. 6, 2020 at 5:16 p.m.
Not sure I'd put Dach at #4. He arguably had the best season last year.
Jul. 6, 2020 at 6:22 p.m.
Tacoshanes10
Knight goes higher
Jul. 6, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Not sure I'd put Dach at #4. He arguably had the best season last year.

But none of those three were good. He was the best of the three, but the most you can really say was that he was keeping his head above water. I think it's more important for a player at that age to still play somewhere they can dominate, and I think management expected to much and ultimately failed those three players this season. I think that when you compare the seasons that say Cozens and Zegras had, it's hard for me to really argue that what Dach did this year was more impressive. And given there was already an argument that even at the time Dach wasn't the right Choice at 3, I don't think it's unfair to suggest that he would be behind one of those two Cs.
HatterTParty liked this.
Jul. 6, 2020 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
But none of those three were good. He was the best of the three, but the most you can really say was that he was keeping his head above water. I think it's more important for a player at that age to still play somewhere they can dominate, and I think management expected to much and ultimately failed those three players this season. I think that when you compare the seasons that say Cozens and Zegras had, it's hard for me to really argue that what Dach did this year was more impressive. And given there was already an argument that even at the time Dach wasn't the right Choice at 3, I don't think it's unfair to suggest that he would be behind one of those two Cs.

There wasn't much argument after the draft when a lot of teams shared they had Dach ahead of Cozens, Turcotte, and Zegras. Furthmore, Cozens season was impressive in isolation but comparing a WHL player which is a couple big jumps down from the NHL is not that impressive comparably. Zegras at the NCAA level is at least playing in a more physical league but even then, he didn't dominate. Newhook probably had the most impressive season outside of the 3 in the NHL. That said, there is no question in my mind, and this is coming from someone who was pissed the Hawks didn't draft Turcotte, that Dach is the best player as of now among the centers in this draft mainly because he's the most physically ready. That could change in the next few years, but he looked really good at times on the ice this season and did just fine holding his own in the NHL. The talent is there with Dach to potentially be the best player in a few years in this draft class.
Jul. 6, 2020 at 8:12 p.m.
Zegras
Jul. 6, 2020 at 8:26 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Hard to see Fla passing on Knight. No way Habs don’t draft Podkolzin at 15. And I thought the Oilers weren’t the only ones who wanted Broberg. Thought Van did too
CD282 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:25 a.m.
CbjSabresDucks
personally i would still take Dach third. if chicago was drafting for need then they should have drafted Byram instead to begin with
Jul. 7, 2020 at 9:24 a.m.
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
personally i would still take Dach third. if chicago was drafting for need then they should have drafted Byram instead to begin with

My swapping of Dach vs Byram is more on what happened in CHI in the fall afterwards (firing of Q, team really going downhill fast). They need to restock that D corp in my mind. Dach had a great season, but Byram was a little more long term need. I think if CHI knew that 2019-2020 was going to be a flop, they draft Byram.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 9:34 a.m.
Quoting: HabsFan9
Hard to see Fla passing on Knight. No way Habs don’t draft Podkolzin at 15. And I thought the Oilers weren’t the only ones who wanted Broberg. Thought Van did too

Do they still take Knight if they have Bob for 9 more years @ $10mm? I think they'd take the 2 way C over the goalie in that case. In this redraft, Knight would basically walk out of college and take over for Fleury right at the end of his contract.
Remus liked this.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
There wasn't much argument after the draft when a lot of teams shared they had Dach ahead of Cozens, Turcotte, and Zegras. Furthmore, Cozens season was impressive in isolation but comparing a WHL player which is a couple big jumps down from the NHL is not that impressive comparably. Zegras at the NCAA level is at least playing in a more physical league but even then, he didn't dominate. Newhook probably had the most impressive season outside of the 3 in the NHL. That said, there is no question in my mind, and this is coming from someone who was pissed the Hawks didn't draft Turcotte, that Dach is the best player as of now among the centers in this draft mainly because he's the most physically ready. That could change in the next few years, but he looked really good at times on the ice this season and did just fine holding his own in the NHL. The talent is there with Dach to potentially be the best player in a few years in this draft class.

In my mind, Dach has the best season of the Cs in this draft class, but Hughes still is the better long term prospect, with Dach as the 2nd best. Dach didn't play sheltered minutes in CHI (53/47 split), didn't get a ton of PP time (2nd PP unit), or a lot of ice time overall (14min/night, 3rd line minutes), but still had 162 shots in 64 games playing down the lineup. His shot totals showed up in his Corsi (-.5 relative, almost flat). He was trusted to play tough minutes as a kid, and even though he didn't play a ton of C, still took 222 draws (only won 33%, something that will get fixed as he gets older and stronger, not an uncommon issue).

When I went into the draft, I had Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Cozens, and Newhook in that order for the Cs. After this season, it's Hughes, Dach, Zegras, Turcotte, Newhook, and Cozens, but the spread isn't as wide as it may seem. You can make an argument for almost any order.

Also, the 2019 C class could be one of the better ones in recent memory, especially on depth. McMichael and Pinto really showed something too. In a 5 year redraft, you could have 8-9 Cs in the first 10 picks.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 11:59 a.m.
Quoting: TMarch
In my mind, Dach has the best season of the Cs in this draft class, but Hughes still is the better long term prospect, with Dach as the 2nd best. Dach didn't play sheltered minutes in CHI (53/47 split), didn't get a ton of PP time (2nd PP unit), or a lot of ice time overall (14min/night, 3rd line minutes), but still had 162 shots in 64 games playing down the lineup. His shot totals showed up in his Corsi (-.5 relative, almost flat). He was trusted to play tough minutes as a kid, and even though he didn't play a ton of C, still took 222 draws (only won 33%, something that will get fixed as he gets older and stronger, not an uncommon issue).

When I went into the draft, I had Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Cozens, and Newhook in that order for the Cs. After this season, it's Hughes, Dach, Zegras, Turcotte, Newhook, and Cozens, but the spread isn't as wide as it may seem. You can make an argument for almost any order.

Also, the 2019 C class could be one of the better ones in recent memory, especially on depth. McMichael and Pinto really showed something too. In a 5 year redraft, you could have 8-9 Cs in the first 10 picks.

One other stat to point out about Dach which is really impressive for a 18 year old kid in the NHL is 38 takeaways to 16 giveaways. That speaks volumes to how good his puck possession is and how well his defensive abilities are. You just don't seen 18 year old centers doing that or wingers. Usually a young forward has trouble protecting the puck, as example Hughes with 53 giveaways and 42 takeaways. Dach's ratio in this area is very strong for a season vet let alone a 18 year old kid.

I agree that Hughes will eventually be the better C, but Dach for the first 3 years should be the clearcut winner in the draft class as he is more physical mature then the rest and now has 1 year more experience then the rest aside from Hughes. Turcotte I think is going to struggle to adjust to the NHL this coming season but ultimately will be a good. My money is Zegras is the dark horse but Dach is going to be a 1C if he can get his faceoffs together and stays mentally astute as he's shown so far.
TMarch liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll