Created by: Cham
Team: 2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 5, 2020
Published: Jul. 7, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The hawks stink.
it sucks.
Bowman (or whoever is GM at the draft) and Mark Kelley need to nail whatever pick they get.
Here we go:

Firstly, Robin Lehner is only 28 and has been playing his best hockey of his career and been a top 5 or 10 goalie over the last two years for the Islanders, Blackhawks, and Golden Knights. he's said he loved playing in Chicago and if he came back could give the Blackhawks five plus years of high level goaltending while the hawks draft and develop their possible goalie of the future. I know it isn't common for players to return to a team after they get traded at the previous deadline (see: Wayne Simmonds) but since the cap isn't going up teams are likely to be cautious with the money they spend. Two reasons goalies specifically would be likely to not see many offers would be one: other goalies like Georgiev, Murray, or Jarry available for trade and a free agent goalie market with Greiss and Khudobin as cheap starter-level options. This should allow teams like Edmonton and San Jose who have been tied to Lehner or Holtby but also near the cap to be out of the running especially if it comes down to who can offer the most money. As backup options for the hawks Delia is a proven backup, Subban can also be a solid backup and in a few years on the level of Greiss, Khudobin, and Halak but has been rumored to not be resigned by the hawks, Lankinen looks like he could be anything between a career AHL goalie or the next Crawford.

On defense the hawks could be very scary as soon as next year depending on how quickly Boqvist develops, along with Beaudin who's seen NHL playing time, Mitchell who can come straight from college just like Hughes or Makar (although not on quite the same level, although I am very confident that he can become a top pairing guy), and Regula who looks like a great pickup from Detroit for Perlini coming from the NHL factory known as London. Keith can still play top pairing minutes although Boqvist could play his off side with Mitchell at even strength along with the PP on the top pair if Keith has a Seabrook like drop-off. DeHaan has been a rock for the games he's played and could give whoever he's paired with more confidence in the offensive zone since they'll know he'll be back. The reason for me keeping DeHaan over Murphy is due to him playing the left side which isn't necessary if Boqvist plays his off side so he can have a better shot. Maatta can be bought out this coming offseason (2020*) for a cap hit of under $1M for four years which could be a legitimate option if no team wants to trade for him. Seabrook is already a 7th defenseman but could maybe possibly be better now that he's had 3 surgeries for nagging injuries but likely is someone who you want playing as little as possible and only filling in for injuries if Vlasic isn't NHL ready and players like Carlsson, Gilbert, and Krys don't get better.

On the offensive side the team has more massive changes, the most important IMO is the drafting of Jack Quinn 9th-10th overall assuming that the hawks lose in the play-ins (crying noises). Quinn (Hughes?) has the best shot in the draft by far and i believe is a 3D Cole Caufield or Alex DeBrincat, he's been compared to T.J. Oshie and Patrick Kane which makes this even more of a home-run pick for the hawks because who better to learn from than the person who's been doing what you do at the highest level for the past 15 years. I think that if all goes right Quinn and Dach could become the next Toews and Kane. Next is Kurashev who i've been in love with since the 2019 world juniors when he was one of the best players of the tournament on a Swiss team that had no other NHL players. He is the best playmaking prospects in the hawks org. and there isn't really a facet of his game that is well below the others. Mackenzie Entwistle and Brandon Hagel are two other prospects that could be impact players in the next few years. both won team awards in Rockford (team MIP and MVP/ROY) and I see Entwistle being a power forward that can play with DeBrincat and Strome to help feed them the puck, and Hagel as a 3rd line scoring forward put on the fourth line due to depth. Evan Barratt took a bit of a step back this year at Penn State but I think can still be a solid middle six forward, and depending on how he develops could play center or right wing since Carpenter can play both. Kubalik and Strome are both likely to take three year bridge deals that coincide with Kane, Toews, and DeBrincats as well as the last year of this CBA and that could help with any cap crunch over these next three years before the cap potentially explodes since the NHL is likely being extremely cautious with finances and theres a new U.S. TV deal around then. It sounds to me like Shaw unfortunately will need to retire due to concussions, although I'd be insanely happy if he can keep playing.

The hawks are in a place where they have a lot of young guys becoming NHL players at the same time and if the coaching staff is comfortable with giving all these guys playing time this could be a scary roster for the next five or so years after this.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$5,000,000
2$5,000,000
2$1,400,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Quinn, Jack
3$925,000
Trades
CHI
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Nylander, Alexander
Additional Details:
Nylander looked like he's becoming somewhat of the player he was supposed to be towards the end of the season this year, especially when playing with Kane, his issue however is that he doesn't have much of a role with this roster so long as Kubalik keeps up his production, Kurashev and Hagel become what they should, and DeBrincat goes back to what he was in 18-19. I believe that Nylander can become a 40-50 point player in Chicago but he may need first or second line minutes and linemates in order to do that, which in this senario he doesn't have.
CHI
  1. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Murphy, Connor
Additional Details:
Toronto has been in desperate need of a cheap top-4 right shot defenseman for the past few years and with them likely not re-signing Tyson Barrie, Connor Murphy could be a great option for them.

Edit: changed this trade since Murphy is probably worth more but I think this is realistically made with one year left on his deal or maybe during the year of his second to last year which makes this probably the max return
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$67,425,235$452,439$4,647,500$14,074,765

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 1
Quinn, Jack
$925,000$925,000
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW
UFA - 3
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
G
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$866,667$866,667
RD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 7, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Hey Hey, Hey Ho, This ACGM has got to go.

Toronto and Vegas are robbing us blind in these trades.
exo2769 and Wadejos123 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:02 p.m.
Quoting: Stan_Bowman

Toronto definitely is as Murphy is worth a late 1st and probably a B/B- level prospect. Nylander isn't worth more then a 2nd round right now.
Wadejos123 liked this.
#LeafsFever
Leafs would take that deal in a heartbeat but I guess that's not the reason why I am commenting. I love the Jack Quinn drafting. He's going to be a great player in the NHL real soon. My question though is really, what happens if (and perhaps when) the Blackhawks beat Edmonton in the play-in round and perhaps actually makes some noise in these playoffs. Jack Quinn might not be available at the draft position they end up with. Honestly, when I think of the Blackhawks, who could probably use a little of everything in this draft, I put Jake Sanderson and Braden Schneider at the top of the list. This team can score, but their defense is suspect, at the best of times this season. They have solid offensive pieces, now shape the back-end to greatness once again. Sanderson-Boqvist would be a nice looking pair by the way.
Edited Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:17 p.m.
Quoting: Stan_Bowman

Hey Hey, Hey Ho, Stan Bowman has got to go.

Name one good trade Bowmans made, I’m just trying to be realistic.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:03 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Toronto definitely is as Murphy is worth a late 1st and maybe a B level prospect. Nylander isn't worth more then a 2nd round right now.

I would rather hold on to nylander in hopes he can become something for us (I think he can), then "sell low" at a 2nd round pick
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:06 p.m.
Quoting: MG1986
Leafs would take that deal in a heartbeat but I guess that's not the reason why I am commenting. I love the Jack Quinn drafting. He's going to be a great player in the NHL real soon. My question though is really, what happens if (and perhaps when) the Blackhawks beat Edmonton in the play-in round and perhaps actually makes some noise in these playoffs. Jack Quinn might not be available at the draft position they end up with. Honestly, when I think of the Blackhawks, who could probably use a little of everything in this draft, I put Jake Sanderson and Braden Schneider at the top of the list. This team can score, but their defense is suspect, at the best of times this season. They have solid offensive pieces, now shape the back-end to greatness once again. Sanderson-Boqvist would be a nice looking pair by the way.

We have drafted so many defenceman in the past years that it's definetly time to go offence. Time to start building the future around Dach, Debrincat, Strome, Kubalik, etc. We have Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudan, Regula, Vlasic, Carlson, Krys, and Kalynuk all as defensive prospects. Thats plenty in my opinion to justify drafting a forward
Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:10 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: Wadejos123
We have drafted so many defenceman in the past years that it's definetly time to go offence. Time to start building the future around Dach, Debrincat, Strome, Kubalik, etc. We have Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudan, Regula, Vlasic, Carlson, Krys, and Kalynuk all as defensive prospects. Thats plenty in my opinion to justify drafting a forward

I don't know the Blackhawks prospect cupboard as well as big-time fans but of the names you mentioned, beyond Boqvist, I believe Sanderson slots in as far as NHL readiness and upside. If you remember what a lot of people said about Jakob Chychrun and how he was bumped to 16th overall, yet made the NHL that very next season, Sanderson could do the same thing. Obviously, much of this predicates on where the Hawks draft, but I would say there are enough quality forward talents available this draft that the Hawks should after the defender, assuming he's still available, especially if at that point, Jack Quinn is not.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:17 p.m.
Quoting: Wadejos123

Quoting: MG1986
I don't know the Blackhawks prospect cupboard as well as big-time fans but of the names you mentioned, beyond Boqvist, I believe Sanderson slots in as far as NHL readiness and upside. If you remember what a lot of people said about Jakob Chychrun and how he was bumped to 16th overall, yet made the NHL that very next season, Sanderson could do the same thing. Obviously, much of this predicates on where the Hawks draft, but I would say there are enough quality forward talents available this draft that the Hawks should after the defender, assuming he's still available, especially if at that point, Jack Quinn is not.

1st s/o Wadejos123 for breaking the (rumored) Kalynuk signing to me, but at least in the hawks organization I think Mitchell is seen as a top pairing guy and possibly future captain. So I’d say the hawks would be hesitant to draft a defenseman with their first pick unless they thought that DeBrincat Strome Dach and Kubalik had already shown enough to feel comfortable at forward
Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:31 p.m.
lol, no from toronto
Jul. 7, 2020 at 8:59 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: Cham
Hey Hey, Hey Ho, Stan Bowman has got to go.

Name one good trade Bowmans made, I’m just trying to be realistic.

Kubalik for a 5th.
Jul. 7, 2020 at 9:03 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: ChiHawk
Toronto definitely is as Murphy is worth a late 1st and probably a B/B- level prospect. Nylander isn't worth more then a 2nd round right now.

Nylander is definitely worth a late first at least. He is a guaranteed NHL player, and has potential to be a top 6 forward.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll